- Text Size +

Serena and Lina

Cell phone in hand, Lina’s contact number on the screen, Serena hesitated, finger hovering over the call button. Lina Lindholm was no teenage girl easily manipulated into tripping over her words and spilling sensitive information. No chance. Serena knew she needed to do some homework, arm herself with some knowledge before tackling the exceedingly brilliant Karolina Lindholm. Tucking her phone away, she returned to her hotel room before initiating a few data searches.

It took her a few hours to gather rudimentary data around the name Tom or Thomas, for persons working at the hospital as well as at Janine’s school.

Of the select students attending prestigious Sapperton Academy, three possessed Tom as either a first or second name and there was one girl with Thomas as a surname. Thomas Andal was a fifteen year old sophomore, with spotty attendance records. He seemed a stretch. Rodrigo Tomas Calderone, seventeen years old, a grade behind Janine, a possibility, and a Thomas Wentworth III, a classmate of Janine’s but currently on extended medical leave.

Leaning back in her chair, Serena tapped her fingers on the table a moment before sifting through the file folders containing paperwork on the desk. Looking down at a copy of Lina Lindholm’s cell phone activity, a small smile touched the corner of her mouth when she saw the name Teresa Wentworth. Why would Lina be contacting this girl? Repeatedly. Could this Tom be the Wentworth boy? What was the need for all the cloak and dagger? It didn’t appear logical.

She reread the incident investigation report. It all seemed pretty straight forward. The girl was driving the car, the blood on the steering wheel airbag was hers. Dad was in the passenger seat. There were no indications of another person at the site or evidence of someone fleeing the scene. Who was this Tom? But more curious, why cover for him? What possible motivation could there be to conceal his identity?

He was easy enough to find on social media. Looking at his profile picture, she nodded. He was a strikingly good looking kid. Important family, the usual banal tripe appearing on his feed.

Leaning back, she growled in her throat, before pushing her chair back and standing up. She enjoyed the challenge of a good puzzle, thrived on it. She smiled at the screen, “I am going to get to the bottom of this, one way or the other,” she said, tapping her right index finger on the forehead of the boy’s image.

Turning away, she collected her phone, putting it in her purse and leaving the hotel, taking a taxi back to the hospital.

Lina was still with her husband, though he was currently resting.

Opening the door quietly, the lawyer slipped into the room. “How is he?” she asked softly.

Lina turned in her chair and smiled, “He’s doing very well. If there are no abnormalities, they might let him go home tomorrow,” she advised.

Serena smiled and nodded, “That’s good,” she said, taking up the single chair beside Lina.

A quizzical expression crossed Lina’s face, “Why are you here?”

Serena smiled, “There will be no charges issued by the authorities and the insurance company will not take issue, there are some anomalies attached to this situation,” she said.

“Oh?” Lina inquired. “Like?”

“Tom,” Serena said, watching every nuance of Lina’s body language.

“Tom?” she queried.

Serena nodded. Lina revealed nothing other than a tightening around her eyes.

“Thomas Wentworth III. Didn’t you think maybe it was something I should have been made privy to?” she asked.

Lina chuckled, “What is it you think you know about young Mr. Wentworth?” she asked, coy smile on her face.

“I spoke with the nurse,” Serena replied.

“And she told you what?” Lina questioned.

Serena let out a breath. “Why were in contact with Teresa Wentworth after your daughter’s accident?”

Lina expression turned into a grin, “I know you are in my employ, and as such, bound by confidentiality. My personal dealings however, are none of your affair,” she said.

Nodding, “Of course you are right, though, as part of my employment, it is my responsibility to investigate any potential complications that may involve yourself or other members of your family in respect to this unfortunate event. During my investigation, it was apparent your daughter was concealing something. To be honest, I’m not sure what. When I spoke to the nurse, she revealed, and I believe inadvertently, the name Tom. A simple process of deductive exclusion lead me to the Wentworth boy. Even the mention of his name seemed to elicit a response in you,” Serena explained.

Lina smiled. “I appreciate your candor and for being forthright. I would caution you in the future to lead with this information and not attempt to try and play me in an attempt to gather additional information. You are still very young and exceptionally talented with a bright and promising future ahead,” she said, the threat veiled, but very tangible.

“The furtiveness?” inquired the lawyer.

“Take it on my authority, Tom is not connected to the details of this circumstance and any inference to him need not appear in any report,” she instructed directly.

Serena nodded. “As you wish,” she replied, hands in her lap. That was that. She knew it had been a risk to try and wheedle information out of Lina and the gambit failed. Pushing too hard now could result in a serious career jeopardizing mistake.

Victorious, Lina smiled, about to dismiss the lawyer, when a thought struck her. “I do however have a request for you. I want you to take a look at human rights fundamentals, definitions, and property law,” she instructed.

Serena frowned, “What do you mean?” she asked, not quite sure where the line of inquiry was headed.

“How is a person legally defined by law? What is the legal status of someone who is incapable of self-care?” Lina explained.

“Like someone who is in an unresponsive wakefulness syndrome?” Serena asked, eyes narrowing suspiciously.

“Unresponsive wakefulness syndrome?” Lina asked.

“The new more politically correct way to say persistent vegetative state,” explained the lawyer.

“No, not like that,” Lina said, contemplating.

“Legal incapability as defined by Burton is very broad and has a plethora of definitions,” Serena replied. “This would be a lot easier for both of us if you were to just cut to the chase and lay out what it is you want,” she suggested.

“Let me pose a hypothetical situation,” Lina offered.

“Okay,” Serena answered, nodding.

“A person is involved in an accident that leaves them mentally cognizant, but utterly and completely physically dependent upon another for care, food lodging, essentially everything. Without the care of the other person, they would most certainly die,” she explained.

“Alright,” prompted Serena, urging Lina to continue.

“How does one gain legal custodial rights for that person?” asked Lina, a gleam in her eye.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to share a review, provide some feedback, or lust leave a comment. It is always appreciated and motivating. Thanks for taking the time to read this story