- Text Size +

  The ordeal did eventually take its inevitable, yet desperately sought after, turn. Jenna was awake when rougher movements jostled the box's contents, and light finally returned around the edges of the bundles atop them. She nudged Ben awake while nursing her complaining eyes. Even the restricted light proved painful for eyes grown used to not doing anything for their owners. The couple felt the weight above them change as their eyes readjusted to increasing illumination. In moments, they were flooded with a combination of artificial and natural daylight. They couldn't discern anything visually as their eyes continued to recover, but felt the acceleration upwards followed by a change in orientation as the bundle they were a part of emerged from the box.

 

  As they were rendered upright, their personal polythene bag slid to the bottom of the cellophane packaging. Ben and Jenna were just able to make out the presence of a giant, no doubt the one currently handling them, followed by a vast open area of light. They felt their movement suddenly end with a bump from below. Details of the wider environment were only just resolving in their weak eyes when the scene was cut off by the approach of the back of another magazine bundle. It came to rest leant against their bundle, but to the couple's relief the angle it leant at meant that they did not have their movement restricted. The back of the bundle stood several inches in front of them, from the couple's perspective.

 

  They both shook down their overly-rested bodies, muscles coming back to life after the long period unexercised. The film surrounding them rustled in response to the action... proving to be a welcome input to ears accustomed to only hearing muffled noises and two tired voices. There was a slight twitch from the magazine bundle obstructing their view, likely caused by another bundle being rested in front of it.

 

  After a minute or so of bracing for more activity, they concluded that the shelf was now probably full. Ben and Jenna looked to their left and right. There was less light then they would have liked, but more than enough to see around themselves. They could easily see the page edges of loose magazines to their right, and the spine-edges of yet more to their left. Ben deduced that they had been placed on a shelf in a magazine rack of some sort. Jenna agreed, describing what she had managed to see before having the view cut off. Her eyes had adjusted fast enough that she had been able to make out, for a brief moment, rows of low-level shelving holding various miscellaneous wares and a number of giants roaming between them. They were defiantly in a grocery store of some sort.

 

  With yet another period of waiting before of them, they resigned to once again keeping each other sane and lucid... starting with a long awaited hug. It began as a gentle one, Jenna's head resting on Ben's shoulder as their arms wrapped around each other loosely. Before long, this graduated into a tight embrace, including a deep and prolonged kiss. Their lack of need of breath made for the longest unbroken make-out session either had ever experienced... a definite plus to their present condition. They eventually broke the kiss and relaxed into another loose hug, swaying slightly as they allowed the slight buzz from their brief intimacy to wash away a great deal of the pent-up stress.

 

  As time passed, seemingly much more slowly now they had sight, they took turns sitting at the bottom of the bag. There wasn't enough room for both to sit comfortably at once, unfortunately. The clingy polythene had become a familiar sensation to both, the still present oily residue ensuring easy transitions between sitting and standing. Were it not for the oil, odds are they would have found their sweat and body heat leading to the plastic gripping their skin and restricting movement.

 

  They listened to the sounds from beyond the bundles, all of which being far more distinct than during the long journey in the box. Shopping related clattering of tins, rustling of bags and benign chatter from various men, women and children provided distraction in between idle conversation of their own.

 

  After a long while, Ben and Jenna noticed a shift from the bundle in front of them. It seemed that the bundle ahead of it had been removed. Both felt a nervous anticipation born of the knowledge that there was only one more bundle to go before they would get to properly see what was happening beyond their confines... and that would also mean that they would then be next to be 'purchased'. For now, they allowed themselves to feel a positive anticipation. It would be nice to have a view to enrich their incarceration, after all.

 

  The nervy couple didn't have to wait so long before there was movement, however. Only minutes passed before the bundle ahead began to retreat away from them. The daylight streaming in through the banks of windows around the walls had a dullness about it, making adjusting to the unobstructed light easier. A quick glance around resulted in Ben noticing a clock showing the time to be just before 6pm... early evening Spring or Autumn sunlight, it seemed.

 

  The retreat also revealed the presence of a young woman, in her early twenties, holding the bundle and inspecting its contents closely. Judging by her slightly informal but never-the-less smart attire, she probably worked in an office environment to earn her living. She had a sizable leather shoulder bag hanging off her right shoulder, which couldn't be doing her frame any long-term good. She must have stopped in to pick up a few bits on her way home from work, if the basket at her feet was anything to go by.

 

  Ben and Jenna found themselves staring dumbly at the woman. Their shelf was high, putting them just above the woman's head, and was made of clear acrylic allowing for an unimpeded view of the giantess. This was the first time they had a chance to really take in the difference in scale. The young woman filled a large portion of their vision and, with no disorientating travel through industrial machinery to disrupt their observations, they were able to take in every detail. The weave of the fabric of her clothes, the minor blemishes on her skin, the slightly askew hair indicating a long day at work... all clearly visible to the tiny couple.

 

  The woman breathed in a steady rhythm, her chest rising and falling gently as she regarded the contents of her hand. She motioned to place the bundle in her basket, but abruptly stopped as she appeared to notice Jenna and Ben through the corner of her eye. She straightened back up and brought her head around to look squarely at the couple. Ben and Jenna stood stock-still as her eyes scanned the pair. Her features took on an expression indicative of someone who just had a stroke of luck.

 

  She raised her empty hand in the direction of their bundle and gripped it above their heads. They watched as they moved away from the magazine rack and descended towards the basket below. As they descended, they saw the original bundle she had picked up in her other hand. After they came to rest face-up atop the basket's contents, they saw the woman grip the handle and return to a standing position, lifting the whole thing in one smooth motion. From their location beside the woman's leg, they could see the originally held bundle being placed back on the shelf. In a moment, the woman took off towards the front of the store.

 

  Ben and Jenna felt the swing of the basket as she approached the payment counters. They held each other close as they were lifted out of the basket, passed through the checkout scanner and came to rest in the bagging area. They were followed by the various other items that had been in the basket. They watched as best they could as the woman packed the groceries into a small canvass bag, which she had recovered from her shoulder bag. The woman chatted with the cashier as she packed. Jenna and Ben noted the pleasantly soft tones of her voice. She sounded nice, friendly and, as far as they could tell from tone alone, caring. They held out hope that maybe she would actually be their saviour.

 

  They waited, expecting to be placed within the canvass bag too, but the register rang off before that could happen. The woman fished out a purse from her shoulder bag and then lent over the counter to place her bank card in the terminal. Ben and Jenna had their view fully dominated by the woman's chest as she punched in her PIN. After a few moments, a confirming beep signalled successful payment. The woman straightened up again and proceeded to return her purse to her shoulder bag. She adjusted the strap over her right shoulder and then picked up the canvas bag with her left hand. Finally, she grasped the bundle near its bottom with her right hand, and lifted it off the surface. The position of her hand meant she had to curve the bundle slightly to keep it from flopping over itself while being picked up. Ben and Jenna were slightly off to one side, so did not find themselves gripped by the giant fingers at bundle's centre.

 

  The couple stared ahead as they quickly approached her chest. They found themselves pressed against the area just below her right breast as she adjusted her grip slightly to allow her to comfortably carry the bundle against herself. Ben and Jenna found themselves once again restricted, though this time by not only the magazines at their backs, but also the endless wall of chest in front of them. Heat from the woman's body permeated easily through her clothes and into the cellophane bound bundle. Ben and Jenna squirmed to find a comfortable position as the woman began to stride out of the store and towards her home... wherever that was.