- Text Size +

Oh, my little Fleck. I almost squished you, you know? Back when I first laid eyes on your tiny, tiny little body. I barely recognized you as human, jumping up and down and waving your arms on my desk. Actually, it's more accurate to say I didn't recognize you as human. I thought you were a gnat or a flea, or some other little bug who was about to have a very bad day.

 

I can't say what it is exactly that kept me from squishing you with my pencil eraser. Maybe some part of me felt your humanity, however miniscule, and stayed my hand just long enough for my curiosity to rise. Or maybe I was just bored, and thought you would provide a nice distraction. Isn't that something, Fleck? That your life was spared because I had nothing better to do?

 

Whatever the cause, I peered forward, closing one eye and lowering the other right beside you, to really see what you were. Just barely, despite your utter insignificance, I could see your little arms and legs wiggling around. I assume you must have been shouting up to me, but as you well know by now you're far too little to be audible. Hell, I still don't even know if you're a boy or a girl, Fleck. At your size, it hardly matters.

 

I cautiously guarded you until the end of class, keeping you well away from the rest of my supplies. I admit, I thought long and hard of simply ending you beneath a book, or my eraser, or even just my thumb. I've always been an impulsive girl, and the thought of taking your life so casually appealed to me - but I had to know more. Where did you come from? How did you get so small?

 

Could I make others like you?

 

When it came time to move you, I wasn't sure the best way to do it. I didn't want to end up squishing you after having spent all class protecting you, but how do you transport a grain of sand that's as fragile as a paper doll? When I finally ended up blowing you into an empty Tic-Tac container, you seemed displeased - but what else was I to do? You've always been unreasonable, or at least you seem to be. You wiggle your limbs a lot, and I assume that means displeasure. But after I flicked the container a few times, you settled right down like a good boy. Good girl?

 

Good Fleck.

 

I brought you to lunch with me and set you out on the table, in plain view, though of course no one noticed. Did you realize your situation then, Fleck? Were you pounding and screaming on the walls of your prison, pleading for even one person to notice you and rescue you from me? I bet you weren't. I bet you sat there, dumb and docile, while I thought about what I'd do with your little life.

 

Oh, and your lunch! You had no idea what I'd done, did you? I 'accidentally' knocked your enclosure over, sending you tumbling around in there, and while you were preoccupied with that I took a teensy bit of meat from off my tongue and dropped it in with you, offering you something to eat. You didn't even hesitate after getting your bearings, you just tucked right in! I had a great little chuckle to myself about that, Fleck. You're just too easy to tease!

 

I brought you to the rest of my classes, twirling your little box idly in my fingers as I struggled to care about anything other than what I was going to do with you in the privacy of my own home. I tried to imagine your itty-bitty screams, how big and scary the world must have seemed to you from within there, no more in control of your own destiny than a bug in a jar.

 

I admit, sometimes I shook you extra-hard, wondering if that alone would kill you. I'm glad it didn't, Fleck.

 

Finally we got home. I brought you to my room, opened the top of your prison and pressed my ear firmly to the opening - and for the first (and last) time, I heard your voice. I didn't understand your words, but in the complete silence of my room, your thin screams echoing off the plastic walls managed to barely raise above my own blood rushing through my ears. Even though I laughed at you, I will admit that made me... disappointed. I had hoped to be able to communicate, like I said, to learn about your story. In that moment, though, I realized that would be impossible. You were just too small to hear.

 

Sitting up against the headboard of my bed and looking down at you, wondering what could be done with such a small thing, I suddenly got a wonderful idea. Oh-so-carefully I tilted the container, gently tapping the end until you spilled out onto my right breast. It was so much bigger than you! Colossal, gargantuan, monumental - none of these words do justice to just how remarkably diminutive you looked, resting on a single breast! I'm not even remarkably well-endowed, Fleck, you're just that tiny!

 

That's when I learned just how long it takes you to travel. You moved an inch in a few minutes, steadily crawling up my breast towards my neck. I remember feeling my heart pounding in my chest as I studied you, thinking about how there was an entire person on my chest, a man or woman with an entire life behind them that had taken them to this point. For the second time, I was so tempted to end you. I could visualize your gravestone in my mind:

 

Fleck

??? - 2015

Smashed against college girl's boob

"[Indiscernable squeaking]"

 

How utterly pathetic! An undignified end for a being which, if you're being honest with yourself, was probably never going to get a dignified end anyway. I lifted my index finger and held it above you, grinning wide. Did you piss yourself when you saw that, Fleck? Could your little brain even understand what was about to happen?

 

But lucky little you, my roommate barged in right at that moment, catching me sitting up in bed in the middle of the afternoon, pointing at my tits. I startled and looked up - I took my eyes off you for a second - but that was all it took. When I looked back down, you were gone, presumably lost in the dark valley of my cleavage. I minced words with my roommate, who seemed eager to leave the scene she'd walked in on, and when she left I rushed to my mirror, stripping off my shirt.

 

I... I think I found you, Fleck. I'll be honest, I can't know for sure, and I doubt I ever will. I carefully undid my bra and started inspecting my breasts, hoping you were mired in a drop of sweat somewhere, when I came across a small smidge of red. It's... it's possible it was just a splash of ketchup from my burger at lunch, but it's also possible, of course, that it's your remains. Why did you have to get so small, Fleck? Even a few more centimeters and you would have been way more manageable! Stupid, stupid bug.

 

Still, maybe you're lost in my room somewhere. Maybe you tumbled off the other way and spilled onto my bed, or even got caught in a draft and fell to the floor. Haha, maybe you even got sucked up my nose when I inhaled in surprise of my roommate's presence! Oh, but - I've just rubbed my nose in reflex, so now I hope that's not the case anymore. Sorry if you were in there.

 

I've left a small white piece of blank paper in the center of my room, and I'll check it a few times a day. I know you have no reason to trust me - but without me, you'll die. You can't fend for yourself. If you're alive, and if you have an ounce of sense left, you'll go with me over a miserable, hungry demise.

 

Of course, knowing my luck I've written all this out for the sake of a bug currently resting in a Kleenex at the bottom of a wastebin. I really hope that's not the case. What a shame.