- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
No actual Mesozoic survivors were harmed in the posting of this chapter.
* * * * *

SHAEF, LONDON, ENGLAND
(8 FEBRUARY, 1943)

The young American officer saluted as he entered Major Throckmorton's office.

"First Lieutenant Robert H. Phillips. U.S. Army Rangers, reporting as ordered, sir."

"At ease, leftenant," replied the major: "And, please, do sit down."

"Thank you, sir."

The first thing the middle-aged Englishman noted (after they had concluded shaking hands) was the lieutenant's last name.

"I worked with a Howard Ashton Phillips during the last war. Code-breaking, mostly. Any relation?"

"My grandfather, sir!" the lieutenant replied (quite proudly): "But, where Gramps was a devout pacifist, I'm afraid I'm a second-generation black sheep."

"Oh, really? In what way?"

"Well, sir; what would _you_ call the West Point graduate-son of a Quaker who teaches judo at Pennsylvania Military College?* "

Throckmorton grinned: "Touche'! In all seriousness, though, that's why I had you summoned here. There's a mission coming up in Argentina within the month. And it requires someone who can pass for one of the indigenous mestizo class. Now, according to your file, your one-quarter Hawaiian Chinese on your paternal grandmother's side. And, your mother was a full-blooded Red Indian of the Osage Nation. Is that correct?"

"Yes, sir," replied the younger man: "She was educated at the Indian School in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. And, after graduation, she went to work for my great-uncle John, in Oil City, as his secretary. She and Dad first met when he visited Uncle John, during Christmas break, and...well, I guess you could say the rest is family history."

The major nodded: "And I further see, from your file, that you are quite the judoka, yourself. Would you, therefore, be averse to heading up the commando team that gets sent to Argentina?"

"No, sir! Any particular part of Argentina?"

Throckmorton nodded: "A lake called Nahuel Huapi. I have to warn you, though. In addition to the presence of jerries masquerading as a Red Cross unit, there's also supposed to be a distant cousin of Nessie living somewhere in that lake!"

* * * * *

LAKE NAHUEL HUAPI
(ONE MONTH LATER)

The creature glided through the depths looking for food that it could bring back to its mate's nest for regurgitation into the young ones. A gringo paleontologist would have called it a subspecies of Elasmosaurus. The local Mapuche Indians would have referred to it as "El Nahuelito" (although "Los Nahuelitos" would have been more accurate). But, in any event, it had been attracted to this area by the sound of the Fokker trimotor's debris hitting the water. And, its curiosity was rewarded with at least three bodies that it had already brought back to the nest for its mate's own consumption!

Now, it was the male's turn.

Its neck was laterally trawling for fish went its surroundings suddenly became darker than normal. It angled its head in the direction of the surface and, there, it beheld a large shape floating placidly along.

The scent molecules wafting down through the water indicated that this was an adult female organism. Twice the male's size! But, where there were adult females, without a mate, there were usually much smaller offspring nearby. So, the male stealthily went up to the surface and poked its snake-like head above the waves.

Sure enough; this strange-looking female creature had a male offspring that appeared to have just finished suckling. For he was just laying there, on his mother's breast, fast asleep from contentment. And, the mother's eyes were closed, as well!

So the male Nahuelito sank back below the surface. Carefully swimming up to the right hand side of the mother organism's neck. Its plan being to lunge upward out of the water, and to grab the offspring away from his resting spot with the needle-toothed jaws at the end of its snake-like neck.

Unfortunately, for the male, the offspring turned out to only be half-asleep. The spray caused by the Nahuelito's lunge causing some droplets to fall on its target's forehead.

"Hijo de perra!" Gonsalves swore as he narrowly avoided being dragged to his death: "Kaikala! Cuidado!"

The naked giantess' eyes sprang open, and she rolled over in the water to her right. Unintentionally dumping Gonsalves back into the lake! But, managing to get the upper part of the elasmosaur's neck in her right fist. As a result? When the Portuguese expatriate resurfaced, it was to witness a fierce-but-brief battle which ended in a rather stomach-tightening fashion.

Kaikala literally chewed the elasmosaur's head off...before spitting it back out a moment later.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*Pennsylvania Military College: now Widener University.

Red Indian: obsolete British term for Native Americans.

Nahuelito: actual cryptozoological name for this reputed lake creature.

"Cuidado" ("Look out!")!