- Text Size +
* * * * *

Wolfgang Keller looked at the on-going battle, through a pair of high-powered binoculars, from the roof top of the main administration building.

"I thought you checked every incoming shipment of ducks und lab animals for parasites," he demanded (in an accusatory tone).

"W-W-We do," sputtered Professor Kraus: "Und we check them every two months, thereafter! I have no idea how this could have happened."

"There are many rufous-ah-collared sparrows in the nearby ah-woods," Dr. Santapietro interjected: "Some of them might have-ah been infested with chigoes by exposure to house-ah sparrows in Buenos Aires! Subsequently doing like-ah-wise to the native waterfowl, here, who then infested our ducks-ah."

"If such is the case," replied the portly professor: "...you are to personally examine every single duck in the coop. Und, if even one of them shows signs of infestation? Euthanize the whole flock. Sofort!* "

"Si, Signor Profesore."

The blonde Italian research assistant was only half-right, however. Ina the sorceress had used her giant female chigoe form to infect at least two or three of the gigantized ducks! Each one of which wound up being consumed by the male Prussian giants. Thereby half-weakening their bodies to the extent that there was no way to prevent their _minds_ from being similarly weakened by her "lavish affections." In any event, all Axis hypotheses for the presence of these insect monstrosities were put on hold by the first of three explosions.

All of them the result of Bob Phillips and two Gurkhas, of Commando Team Able, lobbing hand grenades inside the barbed-wire enclosure housing the first generator. Twenty seconds later, every light throughout the exterior of the whole compound went out! Leaving everything in near-total darkness (except for the burning corpses of flame-thrown chigoes). And, unfortunately for the Waffen-SS troops fighting them?

The still-living chigoes proved quicker at readjusting their eyesight to the darkness.

"Nein! Nein!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Those and other terrified screams signaled, to Commando Team Baker, that the moment was right for introducing their wire cutters to the now-powerless barbed wire at the rear of the compound. And, in less time than it takes to tell, they were inside!

"Right, lads," said Alfie Coppersmith: "Follow me."

The Cockney sub-lieutenant led the way, using his infra-red snooperscope. The others followed closely behind. Or rather, they followed his behnd closely! In any event, he soon had them gathered around Generator #2. Signalling for DeCoteau to tie a satchel charge around the padlocked gate of the generator's enclosure, Coppersmith then pulled the cord. Thereby activating the charge's timer!

The whole team was hunched behind the back porch of Laboratory Facility Number One when the charge went off, thirty seconds later. Plunging every building in the compound into darkness even blacker than the battleground where some of the brown-shirted storm troopers were now being...exsanguinated...alive.

"Alright, mates," Coppersmith now instructed: "Go in here and search around. Snatch up every piece of paper with the words 'Ordnung: Utgard' on it. The big brass at SHAEF will want to read'em when we get back."

As if telepathy was at work, the two Axis scientists atop the main administration building had roughly similar (and simultaneous) thoughts.

"Santapietro!" barked Kraus: "Go check on the Easter Islander. While I shall check on the specimens in Laboratory B."

"Si, Signor Profesore," replied the lovely young blonde Italian.

Five minutes later, she was inside the operating theater of Lab A. She had hoped to find Marisol "Kaikala" Herrera still sedated and well-secured to the dissecting table. But, in that regard, she was doomed to be half-disappointed. Because while the straps upon her were, indeed, still securely fastened, the Amazonian-sized beauty...

...was now wide-awake.
Chapter End Notes:
* "Sofort (= "at once!")!"