- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Dr. Brian Bernstein, a brilliant physics professor, invents a machine which allows objects to change size. He uses his invention to shrink himself and become closer to Amy Liang, one of his students and the object of his obsession. 

Author's Chapter Notes:

This story is essentially background material, the GTS fun will begin in Chapter 2.

Dr. Brian Bernstein was a happy man. He had accomplished what no man had ever accomplished. Dr. Bernstein smiled slyly to himself. This was certainly his magnum opus – the Amplitudo Novo. This would give Brian the recognition he desired and some more.  

Only 24 years old, Brian was already a professor of physics at Columbia. Brian graduated from high school at the age of 13, graduated from Princeton at the age of 16 and earned his PhD in Physics from Berkeley at the age of 21. Anything that utilized Brian’s logical and mathematical talents was easy for him. Born with an eidetic memory, Brian could understand everything about everything.

Brian was in love. It was a travesty. There was a beautiful but kind of bookish girl in his Quantum Physics class. She sat in the second row and was one of his top students – her name was Amy Liang. Amy was only two years younger than him – but they were at very different points of their lives. Amy was always polite and kind to Brian. She didn’t say much to him – but every Tuesday and Thursday, she would smile at him and say softly, “Hi, Dr. Bernstein.”

Brian wasn’t a bad-looking man at all. He was tall with a full head of dark brown hair. Brian kept in good shape with his workout routine. However, he was socially awkward and used to being in situations where he was the youngest and the smartest – Brian found it hard to relate to other people. Most people. Amy was different. Amy was kind-hearted and accepting. Amy was soft-spoken and intelligent. Brian didn’t know much about Amy besides her being one of his students – however, he couldn’t stop thinking about her. Surely, some girl like Amy either had a boyfriend or wasn’t dating since “she needed to focus on her studies” – or who knows – thought Brian with a smirk – maybe she was a lesbian.

If it wasn’t for Amy, Brian couldn’t bring himself to lecture. Teaching was definitely not his favorite part of the job. Brian looked eagerly to returning to his research. He had better things to do than lecture apathetic college students on wave theory. Brian knew his bitterness stemmed from being the know-it-all young teen sitting in the same classroom as a bunch of college-aged students. They were all partying. They were all enjoying the vast social life college had to offer. Brian was not. He finally felt at home with the Physics department at Columbia. Some of his colleagues had even offered Brian insights on how to finally perfect his Amplitudo Novo.

Brian always felt spacy during his own lectures. He was saying things but his mind was always elsewhere. In this case, Brian could only think of Amy. She seemed a tad more curious than the others. She was always taking notes and watching him lecture – the other students were either “never in class”, on their laptops, or making stupid “smartass” remarks which made no fucking sense.  Perhaps, Amy was meant to be his girlfriend. If he had to pick a second tier below Amy of students he could respect, it was those who decided to not bother showing up.

It was 3:30 PM. Thank time that he could stop interacting with these college kids.

“Remember, the second midterm exam is next Tuesday.”

Brian watched as the students packed up and left, but one was heading towards him.. and thank the stars.. it was Amy herself.

“Ummm.. Dr. Bernstein”, said Amy softly.

“You have a question for me, Amy?”

“Yes.. I.. was.. you’re going to think I’m an idiot, I’m sorry.”

“You are certainly not an idiot. Please ask away.”

“I’m admittedly uncertain about why the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle works.”

Such an easy question, thought Brian, but a lot of things were easy to him.

“Was that a pun you just made?”

Amy smiled at Brian shyly.

“I like the way you think. Try to think about the concept in terms of its most infinitesimal form. Can you truly and exactly predict an object’s position and velocity at the same exact time? We can approximate, we can estimate, but we can never get an exact answer. Can we, Amy?”

“It’s hard to wrap my mind around it – it’s so small but..”

“So important. Think of photons being shot through a hole. Can we truly say for certain where those photons were mid path?”

“Well if.. ummm.. I guess we cannot.”

“Precisely. Keep that in mind, Amy, and you will do wonderfully on next week’s exam.”

“Thank you, Dr. Bernstein. You are a fantastic professor.”

Brian felt giddy from the comment. This beautiful and incredibly kind woman was complimenting him. If Brian was still the 14 year old college sophomore, he would have probably been shunned and ignored by the goddess in front of him – but, things were different now. He was a professor and perhaps the world’s most brilliant man alive.

Brian watched as Amy gathered her things and walked out. He admired her petite frame and cute yet alluring attire. Brian was 6’2” and Amy must have only been 5’2”. That could change with his latest invention. Brian imagined himself being Amy’s little pet. He imagined living with Amy and having to follow all of her commands. Ever since Brian was little, he had a fascination with changing the sizes of objects. At puberty, it turned into a fascination with giantesses. He thought about what it would be like to be completely dwarfed by a woman and her body. It was the equivalent of worshipping a goddess. Brian couldn’t do this with just any woman. It needed to be one who could catch his attention for long – a woman like Amy Liang.

**********************************************

It was a short walk to Brian’s apartment – where his invention was – the Amplitudo Novo. The Amplitudo Novo looked like a simple wristwatch. He didn’t want the big clunky shrink ray from “Honey, I Shrunk the Kids”. That was way too cumbersome and would fail Brian miserably in what he wanted to do with the invention. Brian wanted Amy so bad. He obsessed over her beautiful features and her kind-hearted personality nonstop. He only knew Amy from their brief interactions in the classroom. However, Brian knew she was perfect – well, almost… she was fantastic and sexy and intelligent, but she certainly wasn’t as intelligent as… Brian chuckled to himself, but who was?

Brian swore to himself that Thursday would be the day he shrunk himself down and went home with Amy. It was, by far, the easiest way to become a part of her life. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I hope you are all enjoying this story so far. 

I will probably get back to my other story in the near future, just kind of stuck in a writer's block there.