- Text Size +

Rachel swung around the back of the booth.

'So are you lovebirds done flirting? Anna's invited us to the beach, you in?'

Ivy was speaking in hushed tones with Zeke. They were sitting awfully close together, and Rachel couldn't make out what they were saying. Sam and Ricardo on the other hand...

'Well, if this beautiful blonde vixen wants to enjoy the sunshine, I am more than happy to accompany her. What do you say Sam? Shall we recline on the sand and watch the crashing waves?'

'Heck no! I'm going swimming. And you better be coming in the water, otherwise, I'm dragging you in. I may not look strong, but I dare you to try me.'

'Feisty. I love zat. You are truly the finest of women, Sam.'

'And you're pretty okay I guess. Suit up or shut up!'

Rachel laughed at the exchange. Sam never did know how to tune it down, not even for a moment. Or how to take a compliment.

'We're coming as well,' Ivy offered. 'Zeke has promised to teach me the basics of swimming. I'm not proficient, I'm afraid, but apparently he was a lifeguard before university and...'

'We get it, we get it,' Rachel returned. She grabbed Ivy by the arm, slipping her hand into the crease of her elbow and tugging towards Sam. Zeke was taken aback by the rapid gesture, but hid it behind a dorky lock that shadowed the majority of his face. Why Ivy ever thought to pursue him would have to remain a mystery. There was definitely a connection, as evidenced by Zeke's subtle smile. And subtle it was, his lips barely raising from a horizontal lie as Ivy flailed. Apparently she didn't expect to be dragged away from her latest obsession, but Rachel wasn't about to sit and watch them for another second. If Ivy intended to meet the man of her dreams, invite him to a shrink party, and shove him underneath the hem of her tightly knit panties the first time they met, then Rachel's coaching had clearly passed over her head.

Sam on the other hand, she was a fighter. Rachel tried to grab her in similar fashion, but was rebuffed by a swatting backhand.

'Well, Ricardo, it seems my friend is terribly impatient. Rachel, why don't you tell these fine gentlemen where we are headed. If they don't know where they are going, how are they going to drool when they see my new suit.'

Rachel waited patiently for Sam to finish her spiel. Then she scowled playfully. Fine.

'Were headed down to Crescent Point, its really not that far from campus. Anyone who is coming, grab something that can get wet. Anna wants to meet us in an hour.'

With Ivy still in tow, Rachel strode past the shelter of the booth's hidden backside. Two new faces were manning the front. The woman seemed out of place among her male compatriots. The new guy was far less visually appealing, a brown mop that did nothing to accent his acne scarred face; he fit in perfectly, an ugly piece of straw in an unshaven haystack.

'Are you guys headed out?' she asked, her voice excitable and cheery. It was familiar, actually quite similar in chime to Sam's usual ruckus. Less overplayed though, her spring seemed more natural. Or perhaps ample time spent with Sam had jaded her to think anything a few decibels below a yell was calm and pleasant.

Sam had resurfaced with Ricardo in tow. He was directly facing the two newcomers.

'Yes, were apparently going to the beach for an afternoon of fresh, salt air. The fair is almost over, would you two like to join us?' Ricardo asked.

'I'll stay and take things down, but please, do go on ahead. Are we all still having drinks Friday?' the woman offered.

'Jes, jes, Jane, we will definitely be attending. It seems that the world of science has made even our little Zeke a woman's man. I never thought I'd see the day.'

It came rushing back. That was Jane, the pretty one, which made this last face Brandon. He remained silent, maintaining an awkward smile. He was off-putting, but Rachel had seen far worse. Somehow, even the ugliest of men had made previous drunken attempts to win her affection. Yet her standards kept her on a distant level, a platform from which she regularly glanced down with pity. Poor, ugly, science boy. She wasn't sure how Ricardo stayed so amicable with him around, or Zeke for that matter. Must be some kind of bond, all in the name of mind-numbing research. Rachel tried to suppress her boredom.

'Perfect, have fun everyone. Is Zeke accompanying you as well?' Jane asked.

'Indeed, it appears that he has promised his swimmer's prowess to the young lady being dragged here. Ivy, if memory serves, and I didn't catch your name...'

'I'm Rachel, and I'm only here to keep this little love fest from taking all afternoon.'

Jane laughed at her remark. It was quiet, pleasant, and exquisitely timed. Rachel decided she didn't like it, or her. The prissy perfectionist type, no doubt. And her voice was familiar, or perhaps she had just been faced with the nauseating good-two-shoes type far too often for a single lifetime. She wasn't usually this annoyed, she mused, but steeled herself to show a little extra intolerance if it would grant her a more expedited glimpse of the sunlight outside the geeky gathering.

'Yes, well, Zeke and I will make our leave then. I wouldn't want to stand in the way of such, beautiful women. Besides, Sam here has promised that her swimsuit will leave very little to the imagination. And I have an excellent imagination for such things.'

Ricardo's remark was met with a firm slug. He rubbed at his arm, moments after Sam's fist had collided into his bicep with excitable gusto. Ricardo let out a tiny 'oomph', and spun himself back to grin at her. Zeke had finally made his way towards them, silent footfalls and short strides that gave an appearance of slow motion. Or perhaps sloth-motion. Scientists, they were all weird. Ivy's fascination was making more sense each second. He approached Rachel while Jane and Brandon were laughing at Ricardo's plight. With a gentle tap, he placed his hand on her shoulder. Rachel was tempted to shirk away, or even take a few steps forwards, but stayed long enough to let him complete his gesture.

'Rachel, if you don't mind, might I borrow Ivy from you?'

He was looking directly at her, a single, brilliant sky blue eye that shone towards her. He was, enthralling... damn. Rachel released Ivy from her vice-grip, allowing Ivy to shake the sore appendage before retreating to stand beside Zeke. Well, some things weren't worth trying to explain. But maybe, just maybe, Ivy hadn't made such a poor choice after all. Either way, she had no intention of being held up any longer. Sam's peppy cry was all the aid she needed.

'Let's move out people! The sun awaits! Momma needs a tan and some time with a Latin man.'

Sam practically lifted Ricardo from the floor with her surging bull-rush. Ricardo's shoes slid along the floor with a piecing squeak as he was forced down the aisle. Sam held him in a backwards hug, chest pressed tightly against his back, legs zealously working a vigorous stride. Rachel came in behind them, as Sam's grand gesture spooked the majority of patrons out of her line of attack. Finally, they were getting somewhere. Rachel stole a glance behind her as she followed, catching Ivy's shy, down-turned gaze as she took Zeke's palm in her own. He took it firmly, and squeezed playfully. Well, at least things had ended favorably for the two naive nerds. Rachel turned back to watch Sam as she nearly bowled Ricardo into the innocent leg of a stand. She smirked. She couldn't have asked for a classier departure. Mission accomplished.