- Text Size +

Anna met Rachel after the exam. It was back to the Campus Bean, coffee shop for the student in need of that extra zip. Their usual spot was open. Rachel had a stupid grin on her face. They still waited in line to give their orders. Anna wanted to try the pumpkin latte, a perfect treat for a perfect test. She held her hand to her chest momentarily, letting her fingers brush against Kal's spot in her left cup, right at the base. He hadn't moved much in the last fifteen minutes. Had she squished him too hard? Kal rolled over, shifting under her fingertip. Nope, just sleeping. She was still used to hearing his heavy breaths next to her on the pillow, but she couldn't hear even a peep coming from his pillowy perch.

'I saw him. Kal.' whispered Rachel. She was standing right beside Anna in line. They stood just behind an overweight man, un-groomed and likely un-showered considering his odor. He was ordering his triple-triple as Rachel brushed close and spoke. She hadn't even turned her head, apparently she figured it a sensitive enough topic to avoid drawing attention.

Anna's expression was less than concealing. She swallowed hard, a glob of saliva blebbing in her throat as it descended. She swore she felt it cut off her air. It passed. She let her voice draw low.

'I simply have no idea what you are talking about.' Anna replied.

'Kal. He's in your bra right now. I saw him during the test. Ingenious idea by the way.'

Anna raised her eyebrow slightly, feigning ignorance with a shrug.

'He was in your bra Anna, I watched you pick him up. You do realize that most pencils aren't shaped like a naked man. And most pencils don't draw diagrams by themselves.'

She let her face go blank. Crap.

'Oh don't look so spooked Anna, nobody else noticed. I was just, gleaning a bit of extra information off your page. Thank goodness you brought him, that was a ridiculous question. No way I would have gotten the answer.'

Anna pushed out a sigh. She let the exhale flow slowly, not wanting to make any extra sound in response. The man in front had just turned away from the counter, having subsequently ordered two extra blueberry muffins. Disgusting how much some people would eat.

'And for you ladies? What can I get you?' he said. The barista was a young man, likely another student. He wore the green apron well, it hung around toned shoulders and hugged his thin abdomen. He was smiling wide. That wasn't unusual, most of the men behind the counter made a point of extra cheer when cute girls came to the front. It was a dance that she had seen far too often. His name-tag read Kyle.

'Sure, we'll get a pumpkin latte, ahh-umm, a cappucino and a white chocolate scone.' said Anna.

'That'll be 8.95, on debit?'

Anna already had her card in hand, freshly popped from her wallet, deep inside her purse. She nodded, watching the small machine confirming her purchase.

'Mmm, nice one Anna. I love white chocolate.' said Rachel.

They stood off to the side, watching the whirs and hiss as two others behind the counter prepared their drinks. The steaming beverages came in classy, wide topped china on saucers on a tray. The scone was microwaved, and it was dripping little streams of molten white chocolate down either side. Anna lifted the tray and moved to her seat by the window. The sun was draping in, a contrast to the over zealous air conditioning within. It felt nice, slowly heating her right arm as she sat. Rachel already had her mug in hand, drawing it to her glossed lips.

'C'mon admit it Anna. That was Kal right?'

Anna looked left and right, perhaps a bit too suspiciously. An exuberant smile followed.

'Yea! Wasn't it awesome? I am a genius.'

'Hah!' Rachel replied, 'Cheater!'

'Hypocrite.' Anna retorted.

Anna could still feel Kal stiff in her hand, urging her left and right as he drew on the paper, dangled upside down. If she remembered gymnastics class well enough, and she did, he must have had a wicked head rush. She reached for the scone set in near the middle of the table and ripped off a corner chunk for herself. The chocolate was beginning to cool, but still smudged her fingers as they bit into the plump texture. Anna brought it to her mouth and bit down, purposefully taking too much and letting the crumbs fall down her neckline.

'Well I'm glad you've finally started to enjoy yourself a bit more, Anna. You seemed so worried about the whole thing two days ago.'

'Mrhmph.'

'For god sakes Anna, do you always talk with your mouth full.'

'Nuh uh, ner awuz, juz win im urteen.'

Rachel laughed.

'Nice move with the crumbs by the way, now you just look like a slob, rather than a girl who shrunk her boyfriend and is letting him eat table scraps.'

Anna nodded, swallowing down the huge bite in two goes. Even though nobody else would think twice, it still was exciting to sneak food to her tiny boyfriend, tucked in her bra, right in front of everybody. She was still smiling.

'So we're still doing board games tonight? Your place right? Eight thirty?'

'Yup. Ivy and Sam are coming too. We're playing that game Kal got me a few months ago. Demon's Den.'

'Isn't that kind of nerdy?' Rachel scoffed.

'No way! Okay maybe a bit, but I love that stuff. Besides, you said you wanted to see Kal right? What better way to show him off?'

'You wouldn't! Aren't you afraid that Ivy 'n Sam will notice?'

'Hmm, maybe, but I'm already showing you. I guess two more won't hurt, they are going to find out eventually. But I'm still going to try to make it inconspicuous.'

'What happened to not wanting anyone else to know? What did that woman at the store say to you?'

Anna shrugged calmly.

'To enjoy myself. And I intend to.'