- Text Size +
When the Dynamic Duo woke up, an indeterminate amount of time later, the first thing they noticed is that each of them were in separate-but-neighboring cells. The next thing that they noticed is that they were missing their gauntlets, boots, utility belts,...

...and masks.

"Holy Indecent Exposure!" Dick Grayson muttered, instinctively falling back into his boyhood tendencies.

His training quickly reasserted itself, however, when he called out to his son (the present-day Robin), asking if the latter was otherwise unharmed.

"Roger that," replied the Teen Wonder: "There's something weird about my cell, though. It has a big Ferris wheel in it! How about yours?"

"Yes, mine does, too. And, if I didn't know any better, I'd swear..."

There was a brief-but-awkward pause.

"Batman?" inquired Robin, with mounting alarm.

"I'm here, Robin. But, tell me something. Is there a giant bottle of water, made of Plexiglas, hanging upside-down from the ceiling of your cell?"

"As a matter of fact, yeah. Which, along with the Ferris wheel, might almost make me think..."

"...that we're each in a giant hamster cage?" the Dark Knight finished for him.

"Exactly!"

Then, realization suddenly hit the Teen Wonder.

"Oh, no! You don't mean...?"

"Yes, I'm afraid so. I initially thought I'd been dreaming what had happened to Valmont Killdeer!"

"Yet, now, you know better," added a third (thunderously feminine) voice: "Don't you, my pets?"

The Diminished Duo looked behind them and upward...and gasped in astonishment.

It was the lovely blonde drum majorette from the drive-in!

"Sorry for not being here when you first woke up," she continued (in a lovely British accent): "But, I was busy freeing the now re-enlarged Mr. Killdeer, as he had served his purpose. Which was to lure you two into my clutches!"

"Why?" demanded Batman: "We've never laid eyes on you before."

"Oh, come now, my fab little pet. Surely, the infirmities of middle age haven't hit you _that_ badly! It's me. Pru!"

She had had him when she uttered the word, "fab."

"Prudence Pffog?!"

"TA-DAAAAAAAAAAA!" she sang out, making a V-shape with her upraised arms.

"That's impossible," Batman continued: "You look the same as you did back in the Sixties. No more than twenty-two, at most!"

"My stepmother deserves the credit, for that one."

"Your stepmother?!"

Pru revealed that, after getting out of prison, her father had decided to go straight, for the benefit of his only child. But, Marsha (Queen of Diamonds) had turned out to have different plans. More specifically; the theft of the Star of Franistan! The largest diamond ever excavated in the state of Arkansas, it had subsequently been bought by Stanley Livingstone (American ambassador to the Court of St. James) as an anniversary present for his wife, Frances.

"Of course," Pru continued: "Stealing something that well-guarded would require quite a lot of planning. So, the first step entailed Marsha becoming my stepmum! That way, she could use her narco-hypnotic wiles to make Daddy revert to his old self. Which was alright by me, let me tell you! Then, came Step Two."

Lord Pffog decided that the only way to make off with the Star of Franistan, without being hounded all over the British Isles as a result, would be to create a major diversion. Then, he remembered something he had heard rumors of, in prison. A rumor involving the original Batman...and some of the Mad Hatter's shrinking solution.*

"He asked Stepmum's Aunt Hilda if she could alchemically alter some of that shrinking solution. So that it could shrink people and buildings, rather than hats. And, she did! So, then, came Step Three."

"The mysterious fog that led to the disappearance of Big Ben," deduced Batman.

"Yes!" Pru exclaimed with a grin: "Very good, Compact Crusader."

Batman glared at her as she chortled before resuming.

"Next to that, breaking into the American embassy and stealing the Star of Franistan--while leaving an alchemically synthesized copy in its place--was a piece of shepherd's pie. Afterwards, Daddy and Stepmum went off to Brazil, for a long-overdue honeymoon, while I finished my home schooling in alchemy with Great-aunt Hilda. She taught me all kinds of fab stuff over the last forty years...like age-retardation elixirs!"

"Then, came Step Four."

The LONDON TIMES had carried a front page story about the planned musical tribute to the modern-day Dynamic Duo. Which, in turn, had given Pru an idea for her own version of the "perfect crime."

"Of course, it had to be an irresistible mystery. And what could be more irresistible to you two than the possible return of the dreaded...United Underworld?"

"Logical," replied Batman: "Flawlessly logical."

Pru bowed in half-serious acknowledgement.

"So what are you going to do with us now that you have us" Robin demanded: "Hold us for ransom?"

"Of course not!" exclaimed Pru: "I thought I had already made that clear to you. You two are going to be my pets for the rest of your life!! And, isn't it just a fab bonus that Little Batman turns out to be my first love. The original Robin!"

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*See DARK KNIGHT OF THE OBELISK.