- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
FOX GARDENS DRIVE-IN,
TARANTINO RD., GOTHAM CITY
(10:25 P.M.)
* * * * *

The Dynamic Duo had parked the Batmobile a hundred yards south of the abandoned outdoor movie theater. The better for entering its grounds as stealthily as possible. While en route to the drive-in, however, they had discussed the unusual death threat in great detail.

"Why peanut oil?" Robin had asked: "Even by the standards of Grandpa's original Rogues' Gallery, that's weird!"

"It might be connected to the means by which Valmont Killdeer was lured to his abduction," observed Batman: "Major Rhett's Honey-Roasted Peanuts are currently the most popular snack of choice in England. With the aforementioned major serving as corporate logo."

"Sort of a hypogaean legume version of Ronald McDonald?" replied the Teen Wonder.

"Precisely! And the management of the drive-in started offering those peanuts, at the snack bar, as part of a last-ditch attempt to keep the theater open during the initial phase of the VHS boom."

Now, though, both costumed crime-fighters were silent as they approached the building in question. With the Dark Knight carrying the bearer bonds in a "Bat-ache' case" while Robin carried the Moroccan-bound stamp album.

The Dynamic Duo easily picked the padlock on the main entrance to the snack bar. Following which, they applied oil (from bat-emblazoned flasks on their utility belts) to the rusty hinges of each door, so they could open them as soundlessly as possible. Which they did!

Upon entering the snack bar, they used infra-red penlights to search the old customer-serving lane for booby traps. Not seeing any, they immediately tip-toed into the kitchen area. There, they saw tell-tale footprints in the accumulated dust on the floor.

Footprints that had obviously been made by a pair of high-heeled boots.

"That's far enough, Caped Crusaders!" an unmistakably female voice suddenly called out.

From out of the shadows stepped a beautiful blue-eyed blonde. The same one who had abducted Valmont Killdeer, in fact. Only now, she was wearing an orange uniform jacket, with white trim; white hot pants with matching go-go boots; and a white shako with orange plume!

"Who are you?" demanded Batman: "And, what've you done with Mr. Killdeer?"

She answered the second question, first.

"He's right in here," she said, taking off her shako and pointing its opening at a closed-circuit TV camera to her left. She then used her chin to indicate a TV monitor on the ceiling to her right. The Dynamic Duo looked in that direction...and gasped.

For Valmont Killdeer was within the helmet! Bound-and-gagged to the underside of its top by a single piece of tan masking tape!! Unfortunately, they were so stunned by this sight (as anticipated) that they were completely caught off-guard by what happened next.

Their backs were turned toward the old French-frying machine. Only, what now occupied its old oil vats were not wire-mesh baskets. But, rather, compressed air pistols loaded with tranquilizer darts. And, the darts had armor-piercing tips! Consequently, the Dynamic Duo had no idea the trap against them had been sprung until...

...they instinctively jumped at the momentary pin pricks of pain in their Kevlar-coated posteriors.

"H-How---?" Batman stammered as he and Robin slumped to the floor.

"How did I shrink him?" the blonde finished the question, a triumphant smile on her face: "You'll soon find out for yourselves."

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
Special memo from the Should-Be-Needless-To-Say Dept:

I do not own/profit from anything trademarked by the McDonald's Restaurant chain/empire.