- Text Size +

In 1970, Superman was visiting Sesame Street, to fly around and promote the letter S, while Batman and Robin were coincidentally there also, teaching people the meaning of the words “up”, “around”, and “through.” They had just finished filming their demonstration, when they saw the Joker running through Sesame Street.

 

“Stop in the name of decent citizens everywhere!” called Batman.

 

Joker had come all this way to Sesame Street, in order to start a new crime career free of the Dynamic Duo’s interference. He was so shocked to see them also in Sesame Street, that he laughed like the Penguin (instead of like himself), as he ran frantically towards the busy street and charged in front of approaching cars. Fortunately, Batman and Robin apprehended him without any injury to either the Joker, themselves or anyone else.

 

Just after that, Superman finished his aerial plug for the letter S, and noticed Batman and Robin. He flew down and greeted them.

 

“It looks like Gotham doesn’t have exclusive rights to the Batman after all,” said Superman, “Since here you are in Sesame Street. Are you sure you won’t join the Justice League of America now?”

 

“You’re right,” said Batman.

 

“Wholly original ideas!” said Robin, “Does this mean I can finally join the Teen Titans too?”

 

“Sure, old chum, but don’t get any ideas about Wondergirl. She and Speedy are quite an item, you know,” said Batman.

 

“Don’t I know it? I read that article in Who’s Who, where the tabloid gossip explained how they got together. Speedy asked Wondergirl if he could test his archery skills playing arrows and bracelets. She thought it would be a good test of her speed and reflexes too. When they were finished, she said, ‘I deflected every one.’ Then Speedy said, ‘Deflect this,’ and planted a kiss right on her. He’s been her beau with a bow ever since,” said Robin.

 

“You shouldn’t read those tabloids, Boy Wonder,” said Batman, “As Bruce Wayne, I tire easily of having my private life documented in every magazine whose photographers can get my picture.”

 

“Wholly entitled to privacy!” said Robin, “You’re so right, Batman.”

 

So Batman and Robin joined the respective teams. One day, Superman called an emergency meeting of the Justice League of America. In attendance were Aquaman, Flash, Hawkman, Green Lantern and Batman.

 

“What’s the five star alarm for, Superman?” asked Flash.

 

“Six stars, if you count me,” said Superman, “Someone contacted the Daily Planet with a tip off that the Joker and the Atom were seen at a circus which is visiting Metropolis. I once put an end to a series of manipulated mishaps at that supposedly jinxed circus, when I was Superboy. I’d hate to see them taken in by another super villain.”

 

“But Atom told me he’d be exploring a sub microscopic world for weeks,” said Flash.

 

“And the Joker’s been locked up in Gotham Penitentiary ever since Robin and I caught him jaywalking his way off with some stolen loot from Sesame Street,” said Batman.