- Text Size +

The next day in Metropolis, at the office of the Daily Planet, a new reporter turned up for his first day of work.

 

“Alright Jimmy. We’re short staffed with Lois Lane and Clark Kent off on an overseas story. This is our new probationary reporter Boyd Baxter. He’s had television news experience in Gotham City, and we’re lucky to have him reporting news on the printed page.”

 

In actual fact, it was Boyd Baxter who felt lucky. He had publicly criticized Batman and Robin on television news for failing to solve the Gotham oil robberies, as he put it, only hours before they actually did solve them. (New Adventures of Batman: “Curses! Oiled again”, 1977). He had embarrassed the station with the need to make a public retraction on air. It had been the last of Boyd’s stunts that the network was prepared to tolerate. He had been dismissed without references, making it hard for him to get another television news job anywhere, least of all in Gotham. Perry White had been a fan of Baxter’s and hadn’t seen any of his last few newscasts, having been snowed under with work at the Planet. He was glad to give Boyd a job.

 

“Boyd Baxter!” said Jimmy Olsen, the Daily Planet’s cub reporter, “I’ve seen your report on whether or not metropolitan police officers should have moustaches.”

 

“And I loved the one about-“ began Beany the office boy.

 

“You two can tell fan stories at lunch time,” said Perry, “Right now I want you both to show Boyd around the office and get him settled in. Beany, consider Boyd your supervisor and help him whenever he asks. Olsen, you can do camera work on his stories.

 

“Sure, Chief,” said Jimmy.

 

“Great seasoned roast, Olsen!” thundered Perry, “I’ve had it! From now on, I’ll dock you half an hour’s salary every time you call me ‘Chief’! Now get to work!”

 

Perry went back to his own office and left them to it.

 

“Mr White just doesn’t appreciate me at all,” said Jimmy despondently, “After all the Superman stories my adventures have brought this paper, I’m still nowhere near being a full fledged reporter and soon I’ll be 20 years old.”

 

“I know how you feel, Jimmy-boy!” came a voice, “Batman’s never appreciated me either.”

 

A caped midget-like figure in pink and purple tights popped into the room.

 

“Who’s that?” asked Beany.

 

“Bat-Mite!” said Boyd, “What are you doing here?”

 

“I heard you were heading for Metropolis. Last night I landed in Batman’s bad book. He seemed madder at me than he was at Electro. Batgirl and I are supposed to be dating, but she didn’t stick up for me. So I thought I’d come here and see if you want a partner. Say, I’ve just had a better idea. How would you junior Daily Planeteers like to take a break from earth and come to my home world of Ergo in another dimension and have some real fun?” said Bat-Mite, turning to address Jimmy and Beany with his latest idea.

 

“You can take us to another dimension?” said Jimmy, “I hope the career opportunities are good.”

 

“Sure, let’s go now,” said Bat-Mite, and snapped his fingers.

 

“I think you brought one too many of us,” said Boyd Baxter a moment later.

 

All four were looking around at strange coloured sky and quaint somewhat futuristic looking buildings, and a population of people the size of Bat-Mite.

 

“Nobody’s perfect,” said Bat-Mite, “But how’s this for a first day on the job?”

 

“Very interesting, I’m sure,” said Boyd, “But we do stand out here, as much as you did in our office.”

 

“No problems,” said Bat-Mite and shrank the three earthlings to the size of himself.

 

Soon on Ergo, Bat-Mite was introducing the three Daily Planet staff members to the Commander, a law enforcement official of Ergo, who had much better control of his powers than Bat-mite.

 

“And you’ve come to report on our way of life then?” asked the Commander.

 

“No. It was just one of Bat-Mite’s power control failures,” said the Boyd, “I don’t think we could ever convince anyone that photographs and stories of this place are real, if we tried to print them in the Daily Planet.”

 

Bat-mite and his visiting friends enjoyed the sights and wonders of Ergo.

 

Chapter End Notes:

The citizens of Ergo first appeared in the trilogy of episodes of “New Adventures of Batman”: “Have an Evil Day” part 1&2 and “This looks like a Job for Bat-Mite!” (1977). Beany the Daily Planet office boy was a semi-regular character in the Superman stories of Filmation’s “New Adventures of Superman” (1966), “Superman / Aquaman Hour of Adventure” (1967) and “Batman / Superman Hour” (1968).