- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This time we meet one of three main characters. Please leave a review so I know if you guys are interested or not and enjoy!
Goin' Down: Chapter 2

Detective Grant Wallace took one last drag from his cigarette before snuffing it out under his shoe. About an hour ago, he had been woken up by a call from the Lt. Two robbers had stolen a very important shipment from the loading dock of the Amatrax building. The Lt. wanted him to handle this one. With more than a few complaints, he rolled out of bed and got ready. Wallace was lucky that he lived fairly close to the Amatrax building or it would've taken forever to get here at this time in the morning.

He had pulled up to a guard house behind the building a few minutes ago and flashed his badge. The man inside waved him through and Wallace parked away from the crowd gathering around the loading dock. A line of police tape had already been set up to keep the Amatrax employee's away from the crime scene. Shoving his hands in his pockets, Wallace approached an officer he recognized.

Wallace was an older man, on the bad side of forty as he liked to say. His hair was black and beginning to turn gray in patches. Wallace had a weathered face, slightly wrinkled from age. The corners of his mouth turned down in perpetual frown. He wore a dark blue suit with a black tie. His weapon was concealed under his jacket in a shoulder holster. Luckily, an occasion where he had to use it hadn't arisen in awhile. Hopefully, that wouldn't change anytime soon.

" Hey, it's Galarzi right? I worked with you on the Lindsen case couple months back. " Wallace asked holding up his badge for him to see.

" Hmmm... Oh yeah! Detective Wallace! I remember now. Haven't seen you since the news interviewed you about that case. "

" Yeah. I've been busy. So, what've we got here? "

" Come on. I'll tell you inside. " he said holding up the tape.

Wallace ducked under and followed Galarzi into the loading dock.

" Alright. Here's what went down. A little after 12 PM last night a couple Hispanic males pulled up to the guardhouse in a van. They told the guard they were here to pick up a few shipments. They had the right passes for some normal delivery guys, so the guard didn't think anything of it. He let 'em through. The security camera's got the van pulling up, but the windows were tinted. Suddenly, all the camera's for the loading dock go out. The two robbers sneak up to the door without the guards even knowing and use an ID card to get in. The guards see that the scanner was used and start looking around. The robbers get the drop on them and use tasers to knock them out. They find the shipment they are looking for and load up the van. They leave the same way they came in. The camera's come back on a little bit after they get away. Guards don't wake up for a couple hours. Whoever these guys were, they're long gone now. "

" The guards were the only witnesses? Did any of them see something useful? "

" Yep. The guard outside gave a rough description that isn't very helpful. It was pretty dark. The guards in here say that the robbers were wearing masks. They were both wearing primarily black clothing. One of them was average height, the other was a big guy. About seven feet tall. There's no DNA or fingerprints either. These guys knew what they were doing. "

" Damn. I'll need to see the footage they did get. Do we know what they stole? "

" Yeah. That guy in the office wanted to talk to you about it. You're gonna be leading the investigation, right? "

" Yes. Thanks, Galarzi. Do me a favor and get a copy of the security camera footage. Leave it on my desk at the precinct. " Wallace said going to the office.

" You got it. " Galarzi called after him.

Wallace stepped into the guards office to see a single man hunched over a computer. The man looked up when he heard the footsteps.

" Ah, you must be Detective Wallace. The lieutenant said it'd take you awhile to get here. I'm Colin Prichard. The security liaison for Amatrax. I'll be helping you with your investigation any way I can. " he said proffering his hand.

Colin was a younger man. Mid-twenties if Wallace had to guess. He had reddish short, curly hair and an angular face. His eyes were a light green color. Colin was wearing an expensive looking beige suit, a white shirt underneath, and a brown tie with golden stripes.

" Grant Wallace. One of the officers said you wanted to talk to me. " Wallace answered accepting his handshake.

" Yes, I do. These thieves stole a very important shipment from us. We have to get it back as quickly as possible and with the least amount of media attention. "

" What is this shipment that was stolen? Some new drug? "

" Yes. That's all I can really say about it though. I've been ordered not to give too much away about the new drug. It's top secret. "

" You gotta give me something to work with. Is it lethal? "

" ...The drug isn't lethal by itself. But it can lead to some life threatening situations. That's all I can say. We hope whoever stole the drug won't use it. That they will just ask for money for it's safe return. If they do, we will be forced to tell you everything about it. "

" Hmph. Alright. I don't know how well that'll go over with my bosses, but they can handle that. Can you show me the security camera footage? I'd like to see it myself. "

" Yes, of course. It didn't catch anything of use. " Colin said typing on the computer.

The footage was exactly as Galarzi had said. All it showed was a van pulling up and then it went black.

" That's all we managed to get. " Colin sighed.

" Could you rewind it back to the van? I wanna check something. "

Colin did as Wallace asked and froze it on an image of the van.

" See that? 'Pay N' Ship' Shipping Company. " Wallace said pointing.

" Yeah. That's the company we were going to use to ship the drug to an Amatrax research facility for further testing today. That's why the guard didn't think anything was weird about the robbers. He thought they were just early. "

" I see. So, how much of this drug did they take? " Wallace asked taking out a small notebook and pen.

" Well, there were thirty boxes of the drug. It's named MC-001 by the way. Each box contained around a hundred 2 mL vials of the drug. "

" They have 3,000 vials of this drug? "

" Yes and it's quite potent. Even the small amount in each vial is enough for it to take effect. "

" Jesus. "

Wallace finished writing and slipped the notebook back in his jacket pocket.

" Be honest with me, Detective Wallace. Are you forming any theories yet? "

" I usually don't share my ideas, but I get the feeling I'll be working with you a lot on this. Based on what I've seen, it looks like the robbers had inside help. "

" That's exactly what I was thinking. The ID card the thieves used was one of the night guards. That guard called in sick yesterday night. I tried to call him earlier, but he didn't answer. Also, the guard that was in the main camera room last night left early. Said it was an emergency. He left twenty minutes after the robbery took place. It would've been easy for him to shut off the loading docks cameras for a little while without anyone worrying. "

" Those two sound like prime suspects. Could I have their information? "

" Sure. "

Colin printed up both of the guards info sheets, complete with addresses and photos.

" Well, since there really isn't anything left to be done here. I'll go check out these two and maybe get something out of them. And I think I'll see if Pay N' Ship is missing any vans. "

" Alright. It was nice to meet you, Detective. If you need anything else, here's my personal number. I should be available all hours. " Colin said handing him a business card.

" Thanks. I'll call if if I find anything out. "

" Likewise. "

Wallace walked out of the office, slipping the card in his pocket. He went back out to his car and dropped the info sheets on the passenger seat. Shaking another cigarette out of the pack, he sat behind the wheel. He grabbed a lighter from the cup holder and lit up.

" Okay. Which one of you is our guy? " he wondered holding up both info sheets.