- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the wait guys. Been really busy, but the good news is I've gotten my creative juices back. So expect more updates soon! Time to meet the Candy Man!
Goin' Down: Chapter 4

Max adjusted his hood as he walked down the street. He was nearing the place where the dealer had told him to meet. A couple hours ago, he had gotten the message with the location on his computer. Max waited nearly an hour before he got ready and left. It turned out the place was only a short bus ride away.

Specifically, an alley behind a convenience store. He might get there a bit early, but he didn't mind waiting as long as this drug was real. Approaching the store, Max quickly ducked into the alley. The only reason he'd worn a hoodie at all was the off chance somebody recognized him or the police showed up. He gulped nervously at the thought.

Luckily, it seemed the alley was free of people for now. Although 'The Candy Man' had told him to go BEHIND the store. When Max rounded the corner into the back alley, he jumped in surprise. There were three men already waiting. The first man stood by himself, leaning on the back wall of the store.

He looked to be Hispanic and was an average height. The man was bald with a short, brown goatee on his chin. He wore a green jacket, a gray shirt underneath, and brown pants. There were two other men further down the alley. Both of them looked Hispanic as well, but he couldn't be sure. One was average height, the other was absolutely huge. Not fat though, tall and muscular.

When the man standing alone saw Max he waved him over.

" You LilGuy814? " he asked.

" Yeah. Are you the Candy Man? "

" That depends. You a cop? "

" ...Um, no. "

" You sure about that? "

The Candy Man lifted up the front of his shirt, revealing the handle of a pistol tucked into his waistband. Max's eyes widened in fear.

" Whoa, whoa man. I just want to buy some of that drug. "

" Unzip the hoodie and spin around. "

Max did as he asked.

" Alright, you check out. Just a safety precaution. Got the money? "

Max took the eight dollars out of his pocket. He'd kept it out because he didn't exactly like the idea of this guy seeing what was in his wallet. The Candy Man quickly pocketed the cash and produced a small vial of a clear liquid.

" This is the stuff. All it takes is a few drops and BOOM! Going down. "

" This is it? How do I know it's not just water? "

" Why do you think I'm only charging you eight bucks? It's not out of the goodness of my heart. It's so you know what you'll be paying for in the future. Trust me. This stuff works. "

" Okay... What do I need to know about it? "

" The stuff works pretty fast by injection, but I get the idea you're not the type. No worries. Drinking it should work just fine. Might take a little bit longer to work though. Our testers say the first time is a little rocky. I wouldn't recommend wearing clothes when you do it. They won't shrink with you. This entire vial will buy you roughly four hours of small time. Whatever you plan on doing with this, be careful. You're only gonna be a few inches tall and very vulnerable. "

" Are there any side effects I should know about? "

" Not that I know of. None of our testers have said anything. "

" Alright. I'll take it. " Max said taking the vial.

" Pleasure doing business with you. Shoot me another message when you want some more. Next time will be full price. " The Candy Man said putting his hands in his jacket pockets and turning away from Max.

" Wait a sec. How'd you know I was going to use this on myself? I never said. "

" Please, kid. Your username is LilGuy. We cater to a very specific clientele. I knew. " he answered with a chuckle before walking down the alley.

The Candy Man walked over to the two other guys and they all disappeared down another alley. Holding up his hand, Max looked at the small vial.

" This better work. " he thought.

He closed his fist around the vial and began walking back the way he came. There were still a few things he needed for his plan.

.:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:.

Wallace sighed and took another sip of his coffee. He sat at his desk in the precinct, looking over the information. This case was becoming more and more difficult. So far, he had very little to show for his work. The two suspects, Frank Davidson and Benjamin Watkins, were nowhere to be found.

Davidson had completely disappeared without a trace. A search of his apartment revealed it was seemingly untouched. All of his clothes and personal belongings were still there. His neighbors hadn't seen him since the day before the heist. Wallace assumed he fled the city after handing over his ID card to the robbers for a pretty penny.

Watkins was last seen leaving his apartment with a large bag shortly after the heist. Most of his clothes and some other things were gone. It turned out Watkins had a criminal record. A few robberies when he was younger. That made him the prime suspect in Wallace's book. An APB was put out on him a couple days ago, but he hadn't turned up yet.

Wallace had also checked out the shipping company. One of their vans had been stolen the day before the heist. They were unaware of it for awhile, but when they noticed it they called the police. Using GPS two officers found it abandoned in an alley. The report said no usable forensic evidence was found.

In summary, Wallace had jack shit to go on at this point. Sighing again, Wallace rubbed at his eyes. He hadn't gotten any sleep in over twenty-four hours and it was wearing on him.

" I can't keep working like this... I need some sleep. " he thought standing up.

Wallace turned off his desk lamp and pulled on his jacket.

.:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:. .:.

Max put everything he was going to need on the bathroom counter. The vial, a razor blade, a syringe, and cotton balls. He didn't like the idea of injecting himself with the stuff, but in order for his plan to work he needed to shrink pretty quickly. The fear that the drug wouldn't even work filled his thoughts. For all he knew it WAS just water or maybe worse. Max considered testing it beforehand, but it seemed like a waste.

He had a feeling the Candy Man would charge him a hell of a lot more next time. Besides, if it was poisonous having someone around to call an ambulance would be smart.

" Okay, Max. Relax. Everything's good to go. Sarah should be home by now. You don't have work tomorrow. It's all perfect. Time to do this. " Max said looking at himself in the mirror.

Slowly, he picked up the razor blade.

" Man, this is gonna suck. "

He put the blade to his forehead just above his left eyebrow and made a small cut.

" Ow! Hssss... Not my best idea. "

He winced as he dabbed at the wound with a cotton ball. Next, he filled the syringe with the drug. He tested the syringe and rolled up his sleeve. Wincing, he stuck the needle in his bicep and pushed down the plunger. Max waited to feel something, but there was nothing. No pain, queasiness, or sudden shrinking. Nothing.

" Okay. The Candy Man never said it was immediate. Must take a little bit. I should head over to Sarah's. " he thought using another cotton ball on the puncture wound.

He tossed the cotton balls in the trash and grabbed his house keys. Locking his door, he walked down the hall to Sarah's apartment. Max hesitated a moment and then knocked.

" Here we go. "