- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys, this chapter won't be very long because it's going to set up the next chapter by giving an insight into the plans for the next day. The next chapter is being worked on as I type this. Enjoy :)
------

Kai -

On the way home, I explained everything that happened and I also make the situation with Serena very clear to Tris so that she is no longer jealous.

"Tris, just so you know, I'm helping Serena here because she lives in an orphanage, she's only 16 and she needs to get away from that place. The kids there sold her to the guy who kidnapped me." I explain, speaking slowly so that she understands fully why Serena is with us.

"Ok Kai, I'm sorry, I just saw you with her and I thought 'oh shit, there goes my boyfriend' but now that you've made it clear to me why she's here... well it's a little awkward." She laughs, although she's the only one laughing.

"Look Kai, I'm glad you helped her out, I'm proud of you. As for you uh... Serena, is there anything you need?" Tris asks kindly, her eyes focusing on the road ahead.

"Um no, thank you for helping me, oh and also I'm actually 19." Serena answers shyly.

Tris's ears seem to prick up at this and Christy looks down at us both in her lap with her eyebrows raised.

"Wait... so how were you still in the orphanage if you're 19?" I wonder.

"Well... I look 16 so I was able to stay there longer without anyone knowing, if I had left I wouldn't have anywhere to go..." She trails off.

"When I shrunk it was only me and another boy, my best friend, who shrunk in the whole orphonage, he is 3 inches too. The others kids picked on us..." She adds.

It looks like she been through some rough times.

"Could you... could you possibly bring him with us? He's only 13 and I don't think he will be able to cope on his own" She asks, her green eyes hopeful.

Me and Tris just look at each other, we both know the answer, there is no way me Tris and Christy could look after everyone, we wouldn't be able to handle the responsibility.

"Serena, I don't think me and Kai could look after both of you, Kai needs my help as it is." Tris explains in a quiet voice, her eyes look sorrowful as she drives.

"But I can look after him! I have done these past few days, he needs my help!" She pleads, appearing upset and desperate in Christy's lap.

"Serena, you have got to understand what we have been through together already, if we let you live with us it will put more strain on everything. Please just be grateful that we are helping you. So no we can't help your friend." Tris explains sounding stressed, having to sound harsh in order to stop Serena from arguing.

Serena looks angry and upset, she cries into her hands and Christy strokes her on the back with her finger.

"Shh, it's ok, you're safe with us now." Christy cooed.


We arrive home finally from our eventful day at the beach and it's already 7:00 PM.

We decide to watch the TV to see what the news stations are making of the events at the beach today.

It just so happens that I was caught up in all of it aswell.

Me and Serena sit in Christy's lap resting against her stomach and she idly strokes Serena's leg while her eyes are focused on the TV.

I wonder if she's grown affectionate towards her, only time will tell.

Tris switches to a news station and behind the male reporter is a view of the restaurant we were in.

'Today at the beach over 30 people called the emergency services; all of the calls were reports of missing people. Those missing people were all shrinkees who were whisked away from the safety of their families by people with inhumane intentions'

He pauses and continues.

'As you can see, behind me is the restaurant where these poor people were forced to fight each other for their release. In total 52 people have been arrested by police who are suspected to have been involved in this act of shame and disgrace to humanity'

The camera pans downwards and focuses on a 12 inch blonde girl in a pink bikini.

'Here we have Ms. Goldheart, owner of the new successful business 'Mini Clothing' who was one of those unfortunate enough to be taken to this restaurant and forced to fight for people's sick amusement. Ms. Goldheart, would you care to enlighten us on what went on in there?'

'Yes, thank you. The people in there were horrible, horrible people, they treated us so casually like we were animals. I just want to warn people out there that anyone who is like these sick minded people should get help. If people are allowed to do anything like this again, it would get way too out of hand, people like me need to be protected in this new society. One man in particular, the person who seemed to 'organize' the whole thing, should be jailed for life. The way he just... handled us with such callous disregard for our well-being was sickening to be a part of. They made us do things we will regret for a long, long time'

She ends, her words wise and well spoken. The reporter seems shocked by the speech she made and also amazed at the same time, he probably didn't expect such a powerful response.

'Thank you for your time' The reporter responds.

"Jeez, it sounds like you two had some experience in that place." Christy says in awe at how it was described.

Me and Serena just nod from on her lap.

"Wow, that was Kate Goldheart? She became rich in two or three days thanks to her miniature clothes business." Tris tells us with child-like enthusiasm.

"Yeah, she's the girl I was up against in the last fight." I recall, thinking back to how she seemed so disturbed and angry by it all.

"Oh yeah! Did she say anything to you when you were fighting her?" Christy asks with interest.

"Haha, yeah, she asked me out." I say plainly with a smirk, awaiting both of their responses.

"Are you kidding me?" Tris responds, her eyes wide. "Wait, you said no right?" She adds skeptically.

"Of course, I told her I had a girlfriend." I reply cooly.

"Kai, if you ring her she might give you free clothes as a sympathy gift for whooping your ass." Christy says with a smirk.

Everyone but me laughs, it's actually not a bad idea.

I kick her in the stomach and she pretends to be winded.

"C-Can I get some clothes too?" Serena asks timidly, since all of her recently bought clothes are back at her orphanage, a place she will never be going back to.

"Sure, I'll ask her." I answer.

30 minutes later Tris rings the number for the Mini Clothing company and a womans' voice answers.

"Hi there, how can I help you?" The woman asks.

"Hi, I'm uh, I'll just hand you over to someone else." Tris says and sets her phone down next to me.

"Hey, is this Kate?" I ask into the phone.

"Yes it is, who might you be?" Kate replies politely.

"It's the guy from today, the guy you asked out." I reply casually.

"Oh! It's you! Hi! Sorry about punching you today, I didn't really get a chance to say sorry, haha." She answers, sounding flustered.

I wait a few seconds for her to speak again.

"Is there anything I can do for you? I mean, are you calling to take up my offer?" She sounds hopeful, but I have to reject her again.

"No, but there is something you could do for me, me and my friend, the girl you were up against in the first fight, need some clothes and we were just wondering..." I trail off, waiting for her to respond.

"Of course I can! I'd be glad to help, it's the least I can do to help. Can I just get your heights? I'll get someone to write them down and I'll send you every different piece of clothing available for your sizes." She responds cheerfully, she sounds like a very nice person.

"I'm 6 inches and Serena is 3 inches." I say into the phone.

"Ok... got it! Oh! Before you go can I get your name?" She ends, and I feel obliged to answer after the kindness she has shown to us.

"Sure, I'm Kai." I reply.

She seems so willing to help that I almost feel bad for getting all of this free stuff when I am giving her nothing in return but my name.

Once I've given her address and we say goodbye to each other, Tris hangs up, her eyebrows are raised and she has a playful smirk on her face.

"Oh! It's you! Hi!" Tris says, impersonating Kate's high cheerful voice.

"Haha, she seems to really like you Kai." Christy adds, her green eyes giving me a suggestive wink.

"Well, what can I say." I answer, holding up my hands and winking at them.

The three of us laugh and I notice Serena is sitting on her own on the sofa staring into the room.

This must be hard for her, she just got sold by her 'friends', went through a traumatic experience and now she has been taken home by a bunch of strangers.

I feel sorry for her because I can tell she is scared, she probably doesn't know what to do. She doesn't know any of us, I assume she has never been treated this kindly in a while, given the story she told us about the other kids picking on her.

There is nobody there to look out for her, all she has now is us.


We eat a late dinner which consists of sandwiches and fries, then at 9:30 PM we head up to bed.

Everybody uses the bathroom and then we decide on sleeping arrangements.

"I think Serena should sleep with Christy in her room." Tris suggests.

"Where would she sleep? Your bed is much bigger than mine." Christy replies, Serena is sitting in Christy's hand, watching us all talk about where she will sleep.

"Yeah I think she should sleep in our room Tris, that way we can keep an eye on her." I suggest, looking up at Tris from her hand.

Throughout all this, we didn't even consider asking her where 'she' wanted to sleep. So she clears her throat and speaks up.

"I'd like to sleep in Christy's room." Serena says, once again in her timid whispery voice.

We all look at her like she just appeared out of nowhere and she shifts awkwardly.

"Oh, well, ok then, goodnight guys!" Christy says, carrying Serena off to her bedroom.

"Woops, I forgot she could talk." Tris says under her breath.

Tris puts me on my pillow and I lie awake for a few minutes before falling asleep, looking over at the gorgeous sleeping form of Tris.

Serena is living with me and Tris now, so that means when Christy moves out in 10 days, it will be just me Serena and Tris.

I think everything will be ok but it feels as though it won't.

Tris tells me she is going to call the orphanage in the morning before work to tell them that Serena is living with us now.

Since she is 19 she can just leave the orphanage anyway.

I sigh.

Flashbacks of the fights and the cackling laughter of the crowd echo in my head, and I fall into a deep, fitful sleep.

------
Chapter End Notes:
Remember to leave a review :) For those of you who haven't left a review yet, feel free to do so, I look forward to reading them. :)