- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Fasten your seatbelts, and please remain in an upright position...

 

 

_________________________________________________________

 

'Out of Control'



'Sitting in a ... Tin Can,...'High'....Above, the World...'.



... a constant 'rushing sound', from the intense speed of the tiny vessel, swept passed the windows...



"We're 'ALL' going to DIE!", Max yelled out!


Major Tom, and private Ajet, had to take hold of Max and forcibly restrain him. He was becoming more and more hysterical as the moments passed by.


Private Amos, or Max, as he was called, had been the very first one, that Tom had selected for the rescue mission. His expertise, (having first been enlisted in the navy), was S.C.U.B.A. diver and U.E.M., (underwater explosive mechanisms.)

Tom realized the importance of such knowledge, and having someone that could hold their breath for five minutes was quite impressive as well.

However, Max was really freaking out! Major Tom hoped that the unexpected distress, and panic, that Max was experiencing, didn't spread throughout the rest of his crew! Max had to be strapped down, back into his chair and securely fastened down with a locking seat belt.

The tiny ship, hurtling along, at nearly a constant speed of eight hundred MPH, with the sight of their ever shrinking, planet earth, slowly fading into the distance; instilling the entire crew with a sence of deepening fear.

The overwhelming exhilaration had varying effects upon the different crew members...


.....



Cary was hanging upside down, looking out the window. He watched the incredible sight of his home planet, as it slowly became smaller and smaller.

He had always had a secret desire to make a space voyage, but like everyone else at the base, the fear of actually leaving the planet, was a lot greater than being thrust out into the vastness of open space...

"What the hell,..", he figured. This was alot better than sitting at the desk watching the ship on a television screen.

He looked down, (or up,... he was hanging upside down) at Tim, and tapped him on the head. Tim looked up from directly underneath him, he was looking out the window as well,

"Yeah, I know man,... it's fricken amazing!", Tim confirmed the silent expression on his buddy's face.

The two men were old buddys, whom had enlisted together, and had done everything on the 'buddy-system'; they even had the same 'pocket protector', a light blue plastic, filled with three pens and one pencil; a nautical compass centered the top flap, an ensignia meant for only a 'select few',... the 'Sniper Unit'.

Tim, and Cary, had both been awarded for their expert marksmanship on the rifle range. Their abilitys with a weapon had taken them into several wars, unlike the average troopers, these two were secretly 'flown-in', in a small chopper, dropped off, as near to their selected target as possible, and the rest was up to them...

...their selected 'target', usually fell victim within 24 hours of their stealthy arrival, and the two men would be at their 'pick-up' destination smoking a cigarette waiting for their ride out!


If either one of these two men were scared,... it certainly didn't show on their grinning faces!


.....


PFC. Gerry Wombo, or 'Ajet', as he was referred to, (Because his punch was like getting hit by a jet aircraft! )held the record for hand to hand combat. He was an expert survivalist, and a marksman as well. Although, he hadn't won any championships on the rifle range, he was simply the deadlist weapon that the military could possibly have. Going solo, and on the ground,... Ajet could be dropped behind enemy lines, and on more than one occassion, the morning sun would rise to cast it's first rays of light across a pile of dead enemy solders; the remaining enemy, would then retreat, scattering out and running for their lives!

Ajet's silent stalking tactics, were 'unmatched', and once the enemy realized that he was among them,.. the fear of the unsuspected, would soon overtake thier confidence, breaking their moral, and creating havock within the whole group.

Ajet could drink some serious beer, too. And, he held the arm wrestling championship at the local bar. His favorite past time,... was slamming back a few cold ones, and lining up on the table for another arm wrestling match.


He wasn't afraid of anything, or,... anybody!



.....



PFC. Jack E. Smitte', or just... 'Smitey', as he was called; (usually, 'behind his back'), because he was just so mean; was well known, for once taking on an entire group of six guys in a bar fight across town, and then, later, kicking the crap out of four M.P.'s while they were trying to get him into a jeep before the 'General' arrived the next morning.

However, he had conections with the 'higher ups', and had been 'volunteered' for this mission because, his Father-in-Law ( The General ), was getting sick and tired of covering up for his embarrassing shenanigans.

Although, Jack didn't put up any resistance to going on this mission,

He was just so tired of wondering, just what in the hell had become of the first two missing ships. And, putting up with all the crap from his father-in-law; really, he didn't mind climbing aboard the Spinshifter.

Suddenly, he felt like he was actually doing something meaningful; departing from this depraved, little world...


.....


Spooky was sitting next to Max; as usual, he was reading through his notes, (that he constantly kept updating and reviewing) pulling out a small package of dried beef, he tore off a small bite and casually popped it into his mouth, slowly chewing as he studied his last few journal entries.

He had a small, clear plastic water bottle floating weightlessly just above his lap. He would gently bump the bottom of it with his hand, and watch it, as it slowly floated upward...

He scratched something down on the note pad and stuffed it into his jacket pocket. He reached up and caught the drifting bottle, just as it passed his face, unsnapping the nozzel and took a quick drink from the tip, he released it, allowing it to freely float around just in front of him...


.....


Major Tom had returned to the captain's chair. He was carefully studying the predicted destination of the ship. He could use the IMS, the 'image mapping system', and search out the area ahead.

The slow, and single, 'updating system' on the ships 'high tech' computer', only used a data entry from the daily updates, and Tom was actually seeing yesterdays image on the small screen.
Nothing but, vast, empty space, filled the small black and white screen on the monitor.

Ajet was looking over his shoulder. He floated around next to him and settled down beside him.
"What are we looking at?", Ajet asked.

Tom glanced away, he flipped a couple of switches and brightened up the screen. Raising the resolution of the picture, he tried to pull up anything that was presumably lying in their pathway.

"Dead, Open, space...", he whispered.

"Are we going to turn the engines back on?"

"Yeah, I was just about to do that,... would you like to do the honors?", Tom asked.

"Alright. What do I need to do?", Ajet replied.

"Just press that red button there, and hold it down. Then, flip those two green buttons right above it".

Tom floated up slightly out of his chair, "When the engines start, release the red button, and turn that knob over there to 'Open' and then press that blue button up here."

"Okay, Let me start this baby Up!"...


There was a slight rumbling sound, then they started shaking around within the tiny ship, and like an explosion from a small vulcano, the sudden rush of forward motion, drew everyone that wasn't strapped in, straight back into the rear of the cabin.

All seven passengers, were awkwardly surprised at the sudden blast off!

The preset switches, that controlled the fuel supply and the rate of flow, had already been preset and 'locked in'.

The men inside the ship, didn't realize, that when the ship was 're-started', all of the rest of their remaining fuel was going to be shot into the thrusters...

Full throttle, and rocketing through space, the tiny ship aligned itself and seemed to 'hump-up', it shimmied, and shook, then,... lifted straight up into the air!

The Spinshifter rattled around and started quaking. Then, in the flash of a split second, the ship took off!

The two men by the window, (Cary and Tim) were thrown backward. Major Tom, and Ajet tumbled backward too, and landed on top of Jack. Then all three of them piled in on top of Cary and Tim!

Only Max and Spooky were still in their seats, and they were thrust back into the padding with a tremendous force!

The rushing sound amplified, and intensified,... the sheer blast of the powerful engines wound up to full speed and gradually continued to slice through the black open space like a rifle bullet shot out of a gun barrel...


***


Knocked unconscious, Major Tom had no idea how it had happened, but when he opened his eyes, he was back inside his seat, and the ship was traveling through space at an incredible speed!
Ajet was sitting next to him, trying to fasten his seat belt, and struggling to hang on to both him, and hold himself inside his own seat!

Tom quickly reached down and fastened his belts himself. Ajet realized that his crew leader was awake, and he could then just focus on getting himself strapped in...

"What the Fuc's 'Happening' Man?", Ajet screamed into his face!

"Was it 'Suppose to', just 'take-off' like that?"


"I din't Know!", Tom screamed back at him. "They pre-set all of the controls, and this 'som-bitch', is just taking us along for the RIDE!"

"Holy Crap, Man. I think we've broken the sound barrier three times, and we're still picking up speed!"

"Fuck. I don't know! Just, Hang on guys, it'll soon run out of fuel!"


Max was gritting his teeth and hanging on to the arm rests. The intense vibration all around him felt as if there was some strange, and unseen force, that had slipped inside his rib cage and was trying to stop his heart!

He sucked in a full breath, and screamed as loud as he could!


"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,.........ahhhhh.........ahhhhhh.......


.....



The roaring engines drowned out everything else. All of the passengers inside, were screaming at the top of their lungs, and straining to keep from spitting their guts out!

The sound waves were distorted, and everything around them seemed to just shift....


.....


Their ears popped, and their lungs burned. They felt their limbs growing weaker, and weaker. The air inside the cabin started getting hot, and it smelled like bacon sizzling away on a hot skillet!

The speed increased even more, and the rushing sound outside the ship had become so loud that it resembled a constant explosion,... repeating, over and over again,...


"WHOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!


.....



Finally, after about thirty minutes, the fuel supply drained out, and the engines died...

The ship was shooting along so fast that the rushing sound was still very painful to the eardrums. The men had all managed to get their seatbelts fastened and their helmets on, so the horrendous ride was just slightly more bareable.

Only Max and Major Tom, had removed their seat belts, and were starting to get out of their seats,(Tom had released the locking belts for Max, the moment that he realized that the ship was completely out of their control) Max pulled himself up, and floated over to the right side of the ship. He looked out the window...


He couldn't believe what he was looking at!


The shocking sight was so 'overwhelming', he thought that maybe he was,... dreaming?

He screamed out in excitement, "LOOK, IT'S EARTH!"

"AH, Ha, Ha, Ha, ....we're home! All that, for NOTHING!", he hysterically started laughing.

Tom floated over to the same window and peered outside. It looked like earth 'alright', but, it somehow looked different?

The brilliance; an expanded vividness of fresh, green, distincion. It somehow appeared much closer than it actually was......




*
Chapter End Notes:

Please review!  The next chapter will be a few days away, so leave me a review, and let me know what you think?