- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Final Chapter of the Ramona arc

 

New World: Past Tense

 

Ramona Part 5: Break

 

There was a wilt in his eyes, a slight slouch, and a turn in his lips that betrayed his smile, just a hint of salt in his voice. He could try to hide it but it was clear to Ramona. Greg was pissed. He hid it well, too well. Normally she wouldn’t have noticed, but hell she was noticing everything these days.

“I’m sorry.” she said with genuine remorse. She’d hurt him even if it was only a little.

“About what?” He asked this time even managing to hide the salt. Dammit he should’ve been an actor! He took a bite of cold pizza and smiled. It was pineapple and pepperoni; her favorite. He swallowed with marked enjoyment and nudged his head beckoning her to partake.

“Don’t play dumb babe. I know you’re angry.” She spied that last orange rays of sun fade as the purple sky turned dark blue. He reached for another slice and she stopped his hand. It shook for half a second before calming and a sharpness to his eyes was already fading.

“Watch.” she said hovering her hand over the cold pizza. She scrunched her face in effort and her eyes took a dim glow. Rays of heat invisible to the naked eyed escaped her hand and flowed into the tray. Before his eyes the pizza began to sizzle  as the cheese darkened. Within thirty seconds the dish looked fresh out the oven if slightly burnt.

“What do you think?” she asked hoping to earn his approval. Even learning to just do this had taken her three hours she hadn’t planned on spending. The corners of his lips started to curl. He stopped it abruptly much to her dismay. He should be all over this!

“It’s cool.” He said flatly. His eyes gleamed revealing him. She could see the gears turning in his head, the embers of passion burning in his eyes. She could salvage this.

“It’s crazy right?!” She went on. “If I really try I can do even more!”

“Really?!” he slipped out. He placed a hand on his mouth trying to contain his words. “Not that I care.” he corrected. It was too late. He’d already given her the in. She turned her hand over showing her palm. Her eyes closed and she gritted her teeth. She had to reach deep inside to start it, get back to that same place. It was an engine; at least to her. She just had to turn the key and she could rev it. She thought back to the junkyard and the anger she felt, because of him. That had worked once maybe?...She looked to Greg, he was staring intently with interest and concern in  his big doe eyes.

“Dammit!’

“Something wrong? He asked sounding more like himself than he had all day.

“You’re too nice!” She snapped “Why can’t you be an ass like this-” Her hand erupted in a flashed of yellow and white ember sparking in every direction before shooting up in a ball of fire and smoke that initiated the sprinkler system. The shouts came as customers verbalized their disapproval. Meals were soaked and evenings ruined. It didn’t surprise the pair at all when they were face to face with the owner and head chef Frank Kelso. He was an imposing man a head taller than Ramona with wide arms and a wider gut.

“Out.” he said as he racked his hairy knuckles along his grease stained apron.

 

“Nice one Red.” Greg smirked. His attitude seemed far more chipper than before. “Just like when you got us thrown out of that water park”

“Hey that wasn’t my fault!” That soda machine was clearly defective.” They’ve had this talk before and she was always adamant that the soda machine was part of the parks plan to scam the patreans.

“Before or after you pushed it over.”

“A buck fifty is a buck fifty.” They both laughed a good lone one shaking off the weight of the day. “So you’re not mad anymore?”

“Mad about what?” Greg asked. Ramona scowled at him. “No. Maybe I was at first but not anymore.”

“Sorry I was late. I didn’t mean to keep you waiting.”
“Your new “super”  friends that interesting huh?”

“Don’t be an ass. You’d probably like them more than I do.”

“Maybe.” he sighed looking up at the night sky. The light of day was completely gone by now and the streets were lit. “I should be getting home.” Greg checked his watch. It was seven-eighteen, he could catch the seven-twenty-five if he hurried.

“I can give you  a ride.” Ramona suggested. “If you want.”
“You have a secret car I don’t know about.”

“Who needs a car?” She grinned.She moved in close rubbing her hands together in sinister contemplation. She seized him. With one hand on his hip and her other arm around the back of his neck. She could feel the hair on the back of his neck stand.

“What are you doing?” he asked with a confused smile.

“I think I can get this to work...for the both of us.” They slowly lifted of the ground.

“You can fly?!” Greg gasped.

 

Exilherating. They weren’t actually that high up just a bit higher than the streetlights but they were moving pretty fast. Definitely faster than the cars below them. Greg could feel his heart pumping in his chest from the rush of adrenaline. It scared him. Not just the wind in his face or the fact that the only thing keeping him from falling to the hard ground was the grip of his girlfriend. It was Ramona. She’d changed, she could fly. When had she learned to do that! The Ramona he knew couldn’t fly, couldn’t carry him like this or set things on fire with her hands. The Ramona he knew was quiet, shy, a little possessive a little hot headed but nothing beyond him. This new Ramona he wasn’t so sure. Did she still need him.

Before he knew it they were right above his house. The landing was a little fast and they ended up crashing in the neighbors bushes but they were more or less unharmed.

“Not so bad for a first real flight.” she commented.

“Right.” Greg jerked from his thoughts. He hadn’t even paid that much attention until the crash. She put her hand on his shoulder and he was taken off guard at the action of looking up at her. It was all still a little fresh.

“Listen.” She said and it felt almost like an order. “I’ll see you tomorrow. We’ll talk and stuff okay?”

“Okay.” She kissed him on the forehead before leaving him at his doorstep. He lingered there and touched the moist area on his head. He’d done that to her so many times.

The next morning Greg woke bright and early. Ramona was a never a morning person he was sure that much hadn’t changed. He could surprise her with a ride to school. As soon as he was dressed he rushed downstairs taking two steps at a time. He missed a step halfway and began to fall. Everything slowed as he watched his descent. He tried to brace himself but his body couldn’t keep up with his brain. He could only close his eyes and brace for the pain. Pain that never came. He had stopped mid drop but how?

“Watch it honey.” he heard in a warm Texas accent.

“Mom?” He asked in disbelief. He opened his eyes and sure enough the short stocky woman had prevented his fall with a strong hand,

“You shouldn’t run down the stairs hun. Your ol’ mom’s not gonna be here to catch you forever.”

‘“Mom are you okay. Don’t do stuff like that you could of gotten hurt.”

“Hush boy!” she chastised. “I might be getting old but I still have some strength in me. I used to carry bales of hay heavier than you on the farm.” She flexed her arm revealing a small mound under a layer of fat. It had been years since she last worked on her grandfather’s farm but it seemed the muscle she’d earned hadn’t quite left her yet.

Greg gritted his teeth. There was no point arguing with her on this one.”Thanks mom.”  he winced as she brought his head down to kiss his cheek. She continued up the stairs with a large bin of clean laundry under her left arm. Had she been holding that the entire time?

“No.” Greg dismissed. There was no way.

Greg continued on forgoing breakfast. He wanted to get to Ramona’s as soon as possible. He turned the corner, walked past the kitchen and went towards the garage. A quick button press and the wall shifted upward metal grinding against metal until it revealed the worn chassis of his late uncle’s Volkswaggen bus Ramona affectionately nicknamed the crapwaggon. Despite its name it did run but only when  it wanted to. The starter was sketchy and the family joked that it was haunted by the spirit of his dead uncle. He open the rusted seafoam green door and sat down on the torn upholstery One key and and the engine sputtered impotently. Another key turn and the engine revved he quickly put it in reverse and put his foot on the gas, then the it erupted like a gunshot before spitting smoke from the rear exhaust.

“Come on!” Greg urged trying once more. Another push and the engine finally turned over. “Yes!” he backed out but the van wasn’t moving. He pressed down on the gas pedal as far as it would go but he could only hear the tires screech and smell the abrasive scent of burnt rubber.

“Great.” He droned. If the transmission was shot he was sunk. He shut off the engine and exited the vehicle. He walked around the back and saw something he didn’t expect. His girlfriend lifting the crapwagon off the ground by it’s rear fender, with one hand.

“Going somewhere?” She smiled.

“To your house actually. I thought maybe you could use a ride.”

“So early?

“I thought maybe I pick up some bagels or something on the way.” She admitted sheepish.

“That’s sweet.”

“Why are you up so early?” Greg asked. This was incredibly unusual for her. It wasn’t even seven yet. She revealed her other hand to be holding a cup holder with two hot drinks and what looked like donut holes in small bags in the empty slots.

“I was hoping we could talk.” she revealed.

“About what.”

“This.” She grabbed his hand. Not forcefully but the speed of it caught him off guard. For a brief moment he was left shivering. He tried to stop it but it was persisting. He turned his head like he was caught in some lie.

“I’m working on it.” he defended. He took a deep breath and as he released his hand stopped shaking.

“I know this is all a bit much. I still trying to figure it out myself. You don’t need to try so hard. We’ll get there babe.” She smiled and he had to turn his head. The shame was painful, like staring into the sun. Was he really afraid of her? That sounded so stupid. If he wasn’t afraid then what was it?

“I think we should get going.” Greg said trying change the subject.

“Okay.” She replied. He was grabbed abruptly and lifted into her. She took off before he could utter a word of objection.

She’d grown more confident. Even in the span of a single night. They were up higher than last night soaring over houses and buildings. He was aware now to fully appreciate the view and he had to admit it was beautiful. He could see the city all the way down to the pier. She held him tighter this time. Almost too tight it was bordering on painful but he secretly appreciated the extra security. She was giving him side glasses periodically judging his reaction. It was only a guess, but she probably wanted this to become an everyday thing.

Once again they reached their destination in record time and the landing was a lot gentler this time. They landed around the corner from the school in the adjacent neighborhood most likely to avoid calling too much attention to themselves. It seemed no one noticed Ramona’s elevated status and she wanted to keep it that way.

` “I guess we can walk from here.” she said.

`

They soon reached the steps of the school. There were some students about even though classes didn’t start for another hour. They sat at the steps and went at the breakfast she’d acquired.

“You weren’t shaking this time.” She said after popping a creamy glazed donut hole into her mouth.

“What.” He managed through a mouth full of donut and coffee.

“Last night you were kind of freaking a little but today you were fine. You’re already getting used to this.” She stood up now towering over him with her increased height. He didn’t say anything, just looked up at her lost in her shadow. “I’ll see you at lunch.”

 

Class was a relief. He didn’t know what he was expecting with Ramona but it wasn’t that. She’d managed to read right through him and notice things about him he wasn’t even aware of himself. It kind of freaked him out a little. At least in class sort things out in his own head. He could make this work. He just had to learn to take things in pieces. Work harder. Surprise her. She was too important. He didn’t want to fall in her eyes.

“Mendez are you alright?” he heard in Mr. Curtson’s gruff bark. The math teacher was a seventy year old retired drill sergeant who hadn’t lost his military edge. Greg snapped to attention along with half the class. He turned left to see Patrice Mendez. She was hunched over her desk.

“I’m not feeling to well.” She groaned. Even in pain her voice was light and meek much like the rest of her.

“Do you need and escort to the nurse’s office.” Curtson asked pointing to the door. She shook her head no before slowly rising from her desk. She reached the front of the class before collapsing to her knees.

“Mendez!” Curtson bent down to check on his student when she lurched forward on her hands and her body expanded. It was slow at first a slight jump hardly noticable. “Mendez?” Her jeans tore as her legs stretch outward. There was a loud ripping sound as she spasmed. She reared back on her knees and clutched her sides as moan escaped her lips. She was now taller than Curtson a whose stature was a dominant six feet four inches sitting down. Her clother were now in sheds that hung off her loosely barely covering anything.

“Don’t look at me!” she shrieked. Then her body exploded instantly shooting up another ten feet. Her head collided with the ceiling and her knees expanded until they knocked down everyone in the front row. “Sorry!” she squealed.

“Evacuation proceders now!” Curtson ordered as her head broke through the ceiling. The class jumped into action forming single file ranks and exiting the class one row at time. Curtson was the last one out. He looked up at his frightened student and sighed before pulling the fire alarm. A flood of students rushed into the hallway urged by the alarm and the sounds of a panicked teenager bursting through the building. Luckily thanks to Curtson’s strict adherence to proper procedure his class was at the front of the tide and one of the first to escaped the building. The rest of it followed like a standard fire drill the students far less hysterical once free of the danger.The only difference being the one-hundred foot girl kneeling amongst the debree.  As they lined up in their designated spots along the football field most looked back to marvel at the event. Cell phones were produced and pictures were taken forever chronically Patrice’s day of elevation and embarrassment.

Almost as soon as the school hide finished role call sirens could be heard approaching from down the street. Firetrucks and police cars surrounded Patrice. The giantess freaked and backed away ber butt destroying what was once the cafeteria in the process. Then came the identifiable sound of blades slicing the air as a helicopter approached. Patrice jumped and swatted out of instinct her hand only just missed it thanks to the skills of the pilot. A figure emerged from the chopper with a police uniform and a megaphone.

“Please remain calm Ms.?” The officer’s voice remained calm and wilting even through the megaphone.

“Patty.” Patrice answered. “Everybody calls me that.”

“Ms. Patty. How are you feeling?”

“Scared! I don’t know what’s happening.”

“Okay Patty just relax. It’s important to stay calm.” The officer guided Patrice through a few deep breaths. Then signaled the pilot and the copter rose above her head.

“We’re give you a cover Ms. Patrice.” The was a signal and a large tarp deployed from a hatch beneath the chopper. She seized it and wrapped it around herself like a warm blanket.

“Thank you.” she murmured.

It was surreal to watch; a giant girl talking to a helicopter amongst the remains of his school. Greg stared along with the rest of his class and probably half the student body. It was impossible to deny. The world was changing.

“Enough gawking!” Curtson snarled. The class snapped to attention. “That girl has it hard enough without you posting her trama on YouTube.” The class immediately stored there phones.

When he was satisfied that everyone was paying attention he continued. “You’ll be happy to know that I’ve spoken with Principal Muson and if it isn’t already clear school is dismissed.”

“For how long?” A student asked.

“Indefinitely.”

“What about graduation?” Asked another.

“We’re forming a committee and will be notifying your parents in a few days….DISMISSED!”

The organized lines quickly devolved into a jumbled crowd as the students dispersed most likely receiving the same news from their teachers. Greg made it his top priority to locate Ramona which would pose a challenge in the chaos considering her class was on the opposite side of the campus. He didn’t know where she would be in the line. He quickly got lost in the shuffle and stumbled before bumping into another person’s shoulder. Then he fell forward. Before he hit the ground he was snatched by the back of his shirt collar and pulled back the front fabric choking him. Then he was dragged off.

 

Ramona idled in front of the school for Greg. It had been almost ten minutes and he still hadn’t appeared. She was starting to worry. She looked upward at the towering Patrice who had seemed to regain some of her composure. Wasn’t she in Greg’s class. Her worries suddenly doubled as the image of him trapped under fallen rubble flashed in her head.

 

Greg spat some blood from his mouth as he picked himself up off the cold tile of the mens room floor. He had bitten his tongue thanks to his captors rough treatment. He couldn’t believe his bad luck. He turned onto his back and looked up at his attacker. It was a face he recognized. Tall, very tall, easily beating ten feet, broad shoulders, dark hair, blue eyes. These were all key traits he could remember and all were irrelevant when compared to the bandaged wrapped around his recently broken nose.

“Call her.” Aiden commanded. He leaned casually with his arms crossed against a bathroom stall.

“I can’t believe you actually go to this school.”

“Why do you think I was at the party in the first place?” He asked snidely. “Now call her.”
“So you can what? Get revenge. Fuck that!”

“Revenge? Please!” He rubbed his nose bandage along the bridge and winced from the sensitivity. He looked at his his eyes suddenly glassed over and wistful. “My mom always told me if you find a girl that can put you in your place you marry her.”

“You can’t be serious!?” Greg exclaimed in disbelief.

“Dead serious. Now call her.”

“Only one problem chief. She’s got a boyfriend.”

Aiden laughed like Greg had just said the funniest thing ever “That doesn’t matter! Not when the boyfriends you. She’s elevated now, moving up in the world. You really think she wants to be chained down to a normal like you? Even if it’s not me it will be someone else.”

Greg had to consider his words. It was clearly a play by Aiden but it wasn’t untrue. Not entirely. She was elevated. He wasn’t.

“And you think she’d prefer a prick like you over me?” Greg challenged.

“Of course. It’s only natural.” He approached Gred and lifted him up off the floor suspending him in the air by his collar. “Call her.”

Greg remained silent.

“You’ve got balls I’ll give you that.” Aiden sighed. “But I don’t have all day here.” Aiden turned Greg upside down and grabbed him by both legs. Then he shook. Greg’s body bounced up and down and readily produced the contents of his pockets; keys, a few loose dollar bills, and his cell phone. Aiden dropped him and he scrambled after his phone. AIden was faster and picked it up and started pawing at it with his oversized hands.

“First number on the speed dial. Man you got it bad.”

“Give it back!” Greg demanded. He rushed Aiden colliding with his muscled leg. He reached for his phone, but Siden just snickered as he dangled it just out of reach. Greg pressed and angry fist into Aiden’s gut and it almost bounded off his frm abdomen. Greg had to shake the sting off his fingers.

Aiden laughed and pressed his finger on the dial button. Greg charged him but Aiden was more than prepared. He raised his freehand sliding his index against his thumb. One flick sent Greg flying to the floor. His right eye swelled shut in practically a second.

 

“What do you mean I can’t go in!” Ramona shouted at the firewoman. The emergency response had already formed a perimeter around the entire campus even the parts that weren’t destroyed.

“No ones allowed in until we’ve cleared the debri Ms. If you have things on campus they’ll be sent to the front office for pickup.  

“But my boyfriend could be in there!” Ramona was about to brush past her when she was stopped by a hand on her shoulder.

“There were no students reported missing in the teacher’s head counts. Despite that we’re still doing a cursory check for possible victims. If by some off chance he’s in there we will find-” She took a step back suddenly inexplicably fearing for her life. Ramona had momentarily taken a gaze that could challenge death itself. Then her phone rang and she returned to normal.

“Greg! Are you okay!? I’ve been waiting.” she paused. Her eyes flashed and she flew up and over the building and right past Patrice.

 

Aiden tossed the phone to the blue and white tile floor. It bounced and clattered on the linoleum landing next to a bitter Greg. He snatched it.

“Yep. She’ll be here any minute.” He bragged.

On queue the door flung open almost completely torn off its hinges.

“Hey.” waved. “Remember me?”

She walked passed him as if he wasn’t even there.

“Slow down.” Aided reached for her hand wrapping it in his larger digits :I wanted to talk” This earned him a swift slap on the face. He took it on the cheek noticeably unfazed. “Nice.” he retained his grip on her.

“Let go.” She said coldly trying to jerk her hand back.

“Just hear me out.” AIden insisted.  He pulled her in close. "I was thinking of you ever since that day on the beach and figured a girl like you would be a pretty nice catch."

"No thank you." Ramona shot down with a disgusted look. "Let go please." She was trying hard to suppress her anger before she broke his hand. He continued to hold hers tightening his grip. It was annoying that he was strong enough to keep her held.

"She said let go." Greg interjected. He rose to his feet. He grabbed Aiden's wrist but his fingers couldn't even reach around it. He tried to separate them, but if Ramona couldn't he stood no chance. Aiden brushed him aside as easily as one would a nagging child.

"So what you prefer this weak normal trash?"

"As opposed to you?"

"Of course. You can't tell me you don't want a man who can hold you, prot3ct you, It's only natural.' His freehand slid down Ramona's back and boldly gripped her upper thigh.

Greg saw red. "Enough!" he fumed rising again.

"Greg stay out of this!" Ramona ordered.

He froze. This was the second time she'd said that to him. "You can't be serious?"

"I can't have you getting in the way. Getting hurt." Her words were heavy, precise, and left little room for negotiation.

"You hear that?" Aiden cheesed. "I guess you're not needed anymore."  

"You really think you're the guy for me?" Ramona tilted her head and actually smiled at him.

"Yes I do!" He boasted.

"Well then. Come get me." She urged.

Needing no further encouragement Aiden leaned in to kiss and if he hadn't closed his eyes in the moment he might of seen her eyes flash white. He might of been prepared for the crippling pain that shot through his hand.

"Come on Aiden. I'm right here." Ramona teased. Even though she was still smiling her eyes were glowing white hot.

"What the?" Aiden grabbed her hand but her hold on him was iron and burning.

"You really think I need someone like you to protect me? I'm stronger than you already and I know at least three other people who are. Even if that wasn't the case. I don't think I like you very much."

"Ease off!" Aiden begged. He pried his hand from her revealing a red handprint where she had held him.

"Stay away from me and my boyfriend."

Just then the fire woman strode in through the open door with a rather dissaproving glare.

 

"What was that in there?" Greg asked.

"What was what?" Ramona asked.

"I thought you were going to rip his hand off."

"I was considering it." Ramona admitted.

"That's not funny."

"It wasn't a joke." Ramona looked at him. She wasn't kidding. " He hurt you Greg." She pressed a finger gently onto his tender eye. "I can't allow that."

"Allow?!" Greg started. "I could've handled it." He muttered.

"No you couldn't. We both know that." Her look was even and serious.

"Sure he's an asshole but it's nothing I haven't seen before." Greg insisted.

"He wasn't some schoolyard bully Greg! He could've done whatever he wanted to you. It's just that simple."

"No it isn't!"

"Yes it is! He's elevated Greg! You're no. What do you think you could've done?!"

"So then you agree with him. You think I'm weak...useless."

"No! That's not what I mean."

"Then what do you mean?" Greg asked. He met her with potent eyes. There was a lot riding on her answer.

"The worlds not the same anymore. It's changed. You can't pretend like it hasn't."

"Then how am is supposed to deal with it?...with this?" he gripped his knee with his trembling hands. "I was worthless in there. He was terrifying..you were..terrifying." His last word were dry like they'd been caught in his throat. He nearly forced them out.

There it was, finally out in the open. She observed Greg; sitting on the ground , black eye, desperately trying to keep it together. This world would swallow him alive.

"There's really no avoiding this is there?" She asked herself. She reached for him and gently laid her hand on top of his then interlocked their fingers. He turned toward her searching her eyes for answers. She took his hand and pressed it to her heart.

"This is my hand now." She stated calmly.

"Okaaay?" Greg was puzzled.

"I own it and there's not a thing you can do to get it back."

Greg inspected her. She was kind and warm and her expression didn't show any malice.

"Try to take it." She suggested. He pulled at it and of course it didn't budge.

"I said try." She giggled. He pulled harder but the result was the same.

"Ummm could you let go?"

"No." Ramona politely denied. "It's my hand and I'm not done with it yet."

"Please."

"No.If you want it back, take it." She brought his hand to her lips and pecked his fingers. Then she applied just a bit of pressure. Not enough to hurt but enough to be uncomfortable.

"Let go!" Greg strained. He leaned back using his entire body weight as leverage. It was fruitless. He might as well not be there at all.

"It's not costing me anything to do this Greg. I'm not even trying." She informed.

Greg continued his meager attempts and Ramona stared at him her soft gaze turned stern.

"It's not just me or Aiden. Lots of people can do this to you. Will do this to you. You won't be able to stop them, like you can't stop me."

Greg's arm went limp and his mouth shut.

"It's a cruel reality isn't it? If you understand that then let me-"

"I don't accept it."

She regarded him.

"This bullshit sounds just like Aiden and I can't except that."He said with renewed vigor." That's not you and that's not us!" He re-doubled his efforts to remove his hand. He had to show her hew was more than just a normal. He wouldn't run, he wouldn't hide behind her. He could still be relied on, be seen as an equal by her.

"Just stop Greg!" She tightened her grip. "I don't know what you're trying to prove, and I don't care. It doesn't matter."

“It does matter!” He argued. “You’ll look at me different. Maybe not now, maybe not for a while but it will happen, and I can’t have that!” He started jerking and twisting his arm at weird angles.

“Greg stop before you!”

SNAP!

She heard it clear as day. Maybe he didn’t but she did. It replayed for in eternity in her mind for that on instant. His hand was free. He’d proved her wrong. It dangled limply before her. He’d done exactly what she’d asked and she was a fool for asking. Even if the world changed, even if she changed he would stay the same. For her, her babe. Now if only she could live with herself.

“I think I’ll walk home.”

“Do you want me to….to take you to the hospital?” She had to ask.

“No.” he replied.

“Goodbye.” she said then she floated off so he wouldn’t see her cry.

 

THREE MONTHS LATER

 

Greg’s eyes snapped open. He really hated that dream along with any reminder of that horrible day. That hadn’t spoken since then except for two words at their graduation. “I’m sorry.”

He rose from his bed then stretched and extended his limbs all the way down to the fingertips. Three of them still popped when he moved them. He forced himself up. It was still dark out but he had to get moving. He had work

Once he was dressed he headed down the hall past his father’s loud snoring. He reached the stairs and could see the light of the kitchen and smell the tempestuous scents of morning breakfast from the top. His mother was already up. She was a natural early riser and it seemed she woke even earlier since she’d.

:Good morning hun.” She boomed. She bent down to fit beneath the doorway before rising again to meet his eye level at the top of the stairs. “Off to work?”

“Yep.”  He droned. Like he did every morning when she asked this question.

“My big working man!” She cheered. Greg still wasn’t use to this. His mom formerly a women of five feet now barely fit in there two story home. She looked younger like the pictures she of her from back when she lived in Texas. She shoved a warm biscuit in him mouth before he could escape out the door. The bus arrived as the first morning rays broke. The crapwagon had rapped out sometime ago so public transportation was his only option. The morning shift had sounded like such a good idea at the time.

The ride was long and boring. It gave him time to think and reflect which he hated. His mind inevitably went toward Ramona. He looked at his fractured image in the incomplete reflection of the mirror blended loosely with the travelin background.

“You’re a moron.” He said to himself. What was he trying to prove. She was right, it happened anyway. He couldn’t ignore it. It was all around him. It was in his house probably doing his laundry at that very moment! The bus screeched to a stop at it’s final destination. The last stop was still a mile or so from his job so he had to walk the rest of the way.

After almost twenty minutes he’d almost reached his work. He was about a half hour early but it was either that or arrive over an hour late. Then it happened again. He’d first dismissed it as a fluke but now he expected it. On queue the jogger appeared. She was giant, class 2 they called it. Every morning she passed by and he watched with intrigue. Sometimes he got a glimpse of her face. She seemed familiar but he couldn’t imagine he’d ever met her. She strode right over him never realizing his presence. She continued her jog until she vanished into the horizon. In all the days she jogged by she never looked down, never saw him. Why would she? She was elevated. She was part of the new world. He wasn’t.

“Elevated indeed.” he muttered.



 

Chapter End Notes:

..........

Well that's the end of that. If you want to know how they got back together well you'll have to use your imaginations. Until then I'm saying it was time travel, or magic, or ghosts those exist. What was happening in my other story? I think it was a birthday or a wedding or the apocalypse?. Either way I'm returning to "Tales" friends. :)

Comment and review if you have the free time.