- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the wait but you know the saying. "Life finds a way."-John Hammond. 

 

New World: Past Tense

 

Ramona Part 4: Growing Pains

 

“Softer.” Greg thought. He pushed against Ramona’s lips with his own in a fervor of hormone fueled teen lust. Her lips had somehow gotten softer! His hand went down to explore the curve of her legs. “Not just her lips!”

He felt up every delicious sine of her body he could till his groping hands found purchase on her posterior. He squeezed earning a pleased squeal. Suddenly she flexed and what was once a soft expanse became a temple of rigid power. Her hands were upon his and his arms were painfully jerked above hes head. The hhiss broke and he was greeted with Ramona’s cheshire grin. It was a familiar smile with unfamiliar implications. She seemed aggressive, frisky, dangerous.

“Someone’s being a naughty boy.” she purred. He was pressed against the pink of her bedroom wall. “ I like naughty boys!” She pushed her lips into his once more.

She was never like this. THey were still a bit new to the give and take of a physical relationship. Their previous attempts were shy , awkward, and Greg was always the aggressor. Now she was controlling the pace and he was struggling to keep up and hold his own. She leaned in closer devouring his mouth. She kept a tight grip on his wrists transferring one down to his side. She groped his thigh and ran her other hand across his chest.

Greg used this opportunity to try and regain some of the power. He found her waist with his newly free hand and traced the length of her spine, his touch sending her a chill.

He grazed just under her ribs. Emboldened he pressed forward ready to palm something infinitely more fun when it was stopped. She had snatched his hand once again in her iron fingers. The kiss broke again and they were both breathing heavy. Still holding his hands Ramona raised them to his face and wagged her index finger at him . “Naughty boys don’t get treats...yet.”

“Oh really?!” Gred rebuked with a nervous smile. He pressed his hand forward still locked in her fingers and was surprised when it didn’t move. He pushed harder with a grunt and still no give. He moved his head up and locked eyes with her. She gave hi a raised eyebrow and his smiled cracked slightly. He took a deep breath and pushed with everything he had. They never broke their gaze and as his hand shook with extended effort he could see the glimmer in her eyes. Suddenly her hand withdrew and his face lit up. Progress! Her hand went further and further back until it pressed into the softness of her chest. His smile grew and so did hers . A calm warm smile that reassured him. Then she winked.

“I love you.” she whispered. Her hand pushed forward. “You don’t need to worry babe.” Her hand continued to push no sign of effort on her face even as his smile crumbled. “ I will never hurt you.” His hand was instantly slammed back against the wall. She pressed her lips into his and rubbed her crotch against his. In the next instant he was swept away.

 

Ramona stretched her arms upward in a yawn.She could feel the strength in them and the promise of power far beyond their appearance. She’d never felt so...amazing was the only word to describe it. She turned over to observe Greg. He was out cold, completely spent and covered in a thin sheen of sweat. She chuckled to herself. She had been holding back.

“You’ve no idea what you’re in for. “ she whispered. His reply was an light snort as he rolled over and continued his snoring. She stepped out of bed and strutted toward her mirror. She was surprised by her speed. It wasn’t just her longer legs, she felt abnormally light on her feet. She felt like she weighed nothing at all.

She spread her arms like she’d done often before and every morning for the past three days. That person she became at the beach, the person she saw in the mirror. It was what she always imagined . The fat hanging off her arms had melted away. Replaced with swelled mounds. Her stomach flab was now a taut, lean, abdomen with..abs?! She couldn’t remember the last time she’d done a sit up and now she had abs. She could hardly contain herself. She looked like a supermodel, she looked like a cheerleader, she looked like….Mary.  She could feel her eyes moisten. That one snuck up on her. How long had she been holding onto that?! Of course she looked like Mary they were sisters. The only difference being while Mary had worked for her body she’d only looked this way because she was lucky. The winner of some universal lottery. It was unfair and she knew it.

She took a deep breath. There was plenty to adjust to with her transformation, sudden epiphanies were high on the list. She put her hand on her hips and leaned forward on her tiptoes. The top of her head was cut off by her five and a half foot mirror. She was taller than Mary , taller than Greg too. It made her feel petty but she knew she’d enjoy the height advantage. She pushed up on her toes even more and her head disappeared then her neck and shoulders. She kicked her feet and caught air. She was off the ground. She was flying!

Ramona spun forward in a clumsy midair somersault. She nearly collided with the mirror and had to put her hand out to brace. She was weightless and had no way to control her trajectory. She pushed off and floated backwards over her bed.

“Is this what astronauts feel like?” She thought .  

She pushed her hands out in front to stop. She wobbled in the air waving her hands up and down. She shot upward bashing her head against the ceiling.

“Ouch!” she said out of reflex. She looked down to see Greg was still asleep. She has to figure out a way down without waking him. Maybe if she concentrated really hard.

“Down, down, down, DOWN!” nothing happened. “Fuck.” she mumbled as she flailed around ten feet in the air. “How did Superman make this looks so easy?”

She dropped with no indication or warning. She squeaked as she plummeted towards her bed, sure she would land on Greg. Then she stopped just as abruptly as she fell meer inches from his face, He yawned and she earned a face full of stale morning breath. She gagged and then flipped over and started to giggle.Flying was another for the list.

The door swung open.

“I heard what happened from mom!” Mary said. “You elev…” she paused.

Ramona shrieked as she struggled to cover up.

Mary was frozen in the moment. She had once again walked in on her little sister naked. This time floating in the air over her sleeping equally naked boyfriend, after what could only have been a night of rampant fucking.

“Y-Your door. It has a lock yes?” Mary asked.

“Yes.” Ramona managed.

“Maybe use it next time.”

“Yes.” she repeated.

“I-I made breakfast.” Mary informed “ G-Greg is welcome to join us.” she quietly shut the door behind her.

 

Breakfast was awkward...again. Ramona silently pecked at her strawberry crepe while Mary worked on her own.

“So you’re feeling alright?” Mary asked.

Ramona thought on the question. Truth was she was more than “alright”. The things she could do and she knew she’d only scratched the surface. How could she explain that?

“Yeah.”

“Wear you flying?” Mary pointed up towards Ramona’s room.

“I think so.”

“So you won’t be needing a ride to school then.”

“Actually, I haven’t quite gotten the hang of it yet.” Ramona blushed through chews. “This is really good.”
“Thanks.” There was a pause. “So Greg. You and him are…...fucking.”

Ramona’s eyes shot open and she nearly choked on her bite of crepe.

“Yeah.” she rasped reaching for a glass of orange juice.

“How long.” Mary asked bluntly.

That’s none of your-” She froze as Mary’s eyes turned sharp and for a moment she was channeling their mother. “Three months.” she revealed.

“And you’re using protec-”

“YES!” Ramona cut off. “And I’ve been on the pill since last year Ms. Nosey!”

“He..treats you right?” she asked.

“Yeah, yeah he does.” Ramona grinned. As if on cue Greg came downstairs stumbling over himself.

“Good morning.” He squeaked shyly.

“Morning babe!” Ramona beckoned cheerfully and Mary gave him a knowing smirk.

He slowly approached Ramona and gave her a peck on the cheek. Mary never broke eye contact. It was slightly unnerving.

“I have to get going.” Greg said.

“Oh babe! Stay for breakfast!” Ramona insisted.

“Please do.” Mary added her smile growing.

“No really that’s okay.” He assured. “ I’m sure my parents are worried about me.”

Ramona poked her lip out. “Fine.” she relented giving him a squeeze. “ See you at school.“

The flustered boyfriend shambled out the door as fast as his feet could carry him.

“He seems nice.” Mary observed.  

They continued to eat until the clock read seven.

“You should go get ready.” Mary suggested.

“Can I borrow some of your clothes?” Ramona asked.

“Hrrmm?”

Ramona stood up showcasing her Mario shirt that only three days ago fit perfectly. Now it was a mini shirt that exposed her tight mid drift. All of her pants fit much the same  way either too tight or now rather immodest short shorts.

“Most girls would kill for that figure.” Mary informed. “Show it off. “

“Are you kidding?! This is way too embarrassing.”

‘I don’t think you’d like my old clothes any better.”

 

The ride seemed so familiar. It was like any ride Mary had given her on any day. Yet

Ramona felt so uneasy. Maybe it was because the inside of the car  seemed smaller now, maybe it was the pants Mary lent her that fit but were much tighter than she was used to, or even the fact they couldn’t find a shirt that fit the way she wanted.

 

“It’ll be fine.” Mary comforted. “Better than fine.” she stopped the car.

“I hope so.” Mary sighed.

“Do you want to be picked up.”

“No. I have plans with Greg. Ramona stepped out of the car to face the school anew.

 

Ramona had worried for nothing. She had received a few passing glances, maybe a lustful star or two, but otherwise most students were too absorbed in their own lives to notice her. She was grateful. As a wallflower she wasn’t used to attention. She reached the steps and saw a figure she recognized. Greg bent over tying his shoe. She stepped forward to loom over him a sensation still new to her. He looked like a mouse staring up at her, trapped in her shadow. It was cute. She put him on his toes a s she lifted him up to kiss. “You should have stayed for breakfast.”

“I think your sister was giving me the evil eye.”

“She was just messing with you..she’s protective.”

“Are we still on for Kelso’s tonight?” He asked.

Kelso’s was an arcade and bowling alley. They hung out there every Monday ritualistically.

“Of course!” Ramona beamed.

 

The day went on as expected. The campus was still in full swing preparing for the graduation ceremonies which meant Ramona could coast in her classes till lunch. This task was more difficult than she had intended as she found herself strangely alert. She couldn’t seem to block out the subtle shuffles and gestures of the students. Two guys across from her were passing a cellphone and snickering at nude photos of some women whose head was cropped out. Three rows back a girl was listening to Michael Jackson’s Bad through earbuds. Someone else was muttering about the lecture. A dozen different voices buzzed in her head. Every scratch, hiccup, groan, or stray cough was heard, She closed her eyes and lowered her head to her desk reveling in the temporary cool of the hardwood surface.

She wasn’t sure how long she’d closed her eyes but before she knew the bell had rung for the next class. Her eyes snapped open by the sharp and glanced upon a piece of paper tri folded and placed gingerly on the corner of her desk. She scanned the room. Most students were flooding out the narrow door eager to move to the next class. Only Ramona remainded seated and even the teacher was busy arranging documents preparing for the next round of students. She opened the paper and read a brief message in elegant cursive.

“Welcome to the new world. Meet me behind the gym after school .come alone.”

 

“I don’t trust it.” Greg croaked between bites of his turkey sandwich . “It’s probably some guys back handed way of hitting on you.”

Ramona had to stifle a laugh. The only guy she knew that had actually hit on her had been Greg. She hadn’t considered herself worth it before then. Maybe now that she was a bombshell she’d earned a n admirer.

“What if it’s real?” she proposed. “It’s at least worth checking out.”

“Why?” Greg questioned. There was a slight edge to his voice, just a hint of uncertainty to his tone and something else almost unnoticeable and definitely foreign to her.

“It could help me understand what all this means.” She stood up and waved to her entire body.

“It doesn’t mean anything.” Greg stood to meet her eyes . “ You’re still the same nerdy girl you’ve always been Just….taller.”

Ramona saw his eyes. Warm and dark and comforting. The corners of his lips upturned in a genuine smile. He was so sweet, even when he had no idea what he was talking about. Her lips pursed and she sat down. “You’re wrong Greg. I have changed, I can feel it.”

“Than we go see a doctor. or?”
“I don’t think that’s going to help.” Ramona grumbled in annoyance. Doctors were not her favorite people.

“Then what!? We just put our faith in some random stranger?”

“They’re not strangers Greg. It’s a student like us. We’ve had the same class for a year. You’ve probably had a class with them.”

Ramona was prepared for another argument but none came. Instead he just furrowed his brow and turned his head. “I still don’t like it.” he finally said.

“You can stop worrying about me babe.” Ramona smirked and raised her right arm and bent it up at the forearm. A wellspring of mass emerged from seemingly nowhere in a sturdy foundation of muscle. “I’m a big girl now.”

Greg’s eyes went wide and his face was the color of cherries. He locked in on her arm transfixed and Ramona was certain the conversation was over.

His face was still red as they walked down the stops. The last bell of the day sounding off as a backdrop to the gaggle of students ready to escape the trappings of education. She couldn’t subdue a grin at the thought of his face holding that look since lunch . She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and brought him close. so their chests were touching. In that moment she would let nothing separate them.

“So you’re going then.” He looked up into her eyes pleading for her to stay even as his body shook in her hold.

“Yes.” she returned wit a kiss on the cheek.

“We’re still on for Kelso’s later.” and his statement came out more as a question.

“I’ll be there.” she replied and they parted.

 

Ramona waited by the gym for a good ten minutes with no one approaching her. THe note was pretty vague and the gym led into the outside grounds. Dozens of students were still lingering about making plans for the rest of their day. Words itched in the back of her ears. Someone was planning graduation party. Two sisters were arguing over a pair of shoes. A group of students were trying to start a pick-up game of basketball. A teacher was getting harassed by student questions on the way to her car

“Music helps.” came a voice from behind. Ramona turned momentarily startled. Behind her she she found the girl that was listening to earbuds in her class. “With the voices. Music helps.”

“Who are you exactly?” Ramona asked slightly ashamed she couldn’t remember the name of a classmate.

“Susie Shiriashi.” she clarified. “ And don’t worry they go away eventually.”

Ramona gave a questioning glance. Was she elevated? She certainly didn’t look it. She was short for one and looked every bit like a normal person with her pale skin and thin arms.

“I’m not sure I know what you’re talking about?” Ramona lied.

“You are elevated right?” Susie asked. “ I figured with all the fidgeting in class and the fact that you’ve grown two feet.”

“I’m surprised no one else noticed.”

“You’d be surprised what nobody notices. I’ve been elevated over a month and nobody so much as glanced at me sideways.”

“You’re elevated?” Ramona asked with marked skepticism.

“Need proof?” she cheesed. She waved her left hand and bright white lines snaked across it. As if that weren’t enough she placed her hand on the ground and the lines followed and flowed out into the black top. She pulled her hand up and the ground followed like an amorphous wad of clay. Then the lines disappeared and there was a lump o black top jutting from the earth like a small hill where there previously wasn’t.

“Ta da!”

“What do you want with me?” Ramona asked now ready to give her the time of day. What were the odds there would be two elevated in the same class.

Susie blushed. “Friendship…..I guess. God that sounds so grade school.”

“What.” Ramona blurted.

“There’s more of us at the school, elevated I mean. We’ved formed a club, well more of a support group.”

“Support group?”

“Sort of a welcome to the new world no you’re not insane type thing.”

“New world. I don’t know what you mean by that.”

“Isn’t it obvious? You’ve seen the news. GIants walk the streets, and of course it doesn’t end there.” She nodded at Ramona “Times are changing.”

There was silence and a chill wind blew through both of them.

“You don’t have to say yes. I just saw you freaking out and thought maybe you could use some help from people who know what you’re going through. “

“No. I think it’s a good idea.” Ramona admitted.

“Really!” Susie sparked. “Cool! You’ll be the first one I’ve ever invited!” She jumped in the air catching more air time than a person her size should. “We’re meeting at Mason’s junkyard to you need a ride?”

“Yeah. “ Ramona answered checking her cellphone for the time. It was three thirty. “I’ve got maybe an hour do you have a car?”

“Not exactly.” she replied planting a hand on the ground. The light returned to the blacktop and warped around both their feet. The ground cracked and the earth lurched from the ground and they were both airborne. “I’ve only done this once before so watch yourself.”

“What?!” Ramona panicked as they shot through the sky.

 

The group was smaller than she thought. Only five people including her and Susie. There were two girls and a guy. One girl looked very young maybe twelve. She had long blonde hair tied in two pigtails and was the size of a small house. She sat nervously atop a rusted up sixteen wheeler with a Save Max logo on it. She was dressed in a jumpsuit much like she’d seen on her mother only it was light blue.

The man was tall, very tall, dark and handsome. He looked built like a fortress with muscle he didn’t hide behind his black wife beater. He had busied himself bench pressing a Saddan with ease.

The second girl she recognized. The red hair, the feathers, the wings! She just couldn’t quite place the name.

“Robin!” Susie shouted as she rushed to embrace her.

The two hugged for a long while before she turned toward Ramona. It took a moment but soon her eyes spread wide with the shine of a memory.

“I remember you.You knocked out that guy at the beach event.That was impressive.”

“Sorry about that.” Ramona turned in shame. “ I don’t know what came over me.”

“No it’s okay, sudden elevation is often tied to emotional events.“

“How do you know!? “ Ramona wondered. She wasn’t sure what to think of Robin. She seemed older but not by much.

“I elevated when my girlfriend moved away. to France. “ Robin revealed. “ I was so worried I’d never see her again I was overcome with sadness. I remember her boarding the plane and wanting to chase after her, wanting to fly after her. Then these sprouted,” She stretched  revealing her full wingspan.

“Did it work out for you.”

“She calls me her red angel.” She gleamed. “And I got an adorable little sister.” her hand ruffled Susie’s hair.

“Merci.” Susie chirped.

 

Soon they were all gathered in a circle at the feet of the giant girl. Robin who was clearly in charge started.

“First I’d like to welcome Ramona our newest guest.” everyone gave her a casual wave. “I’m sure Sues gave you most of the details so I’ll try not waste too much time repeating. We’re basically here to talk about and cope with any struggles you might have.”

“Struggles?” the guy interrupted. “ This is the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me!”

“Not everyone’s you Rodney.” Robin scolded. “It’s difficult for some people.” She turned back to Ramona. “I was going to make introductions next but you seem to know half our members.”  She looked up toward the girl who had remained quite. “You can introduce yourself if you want.”

The girl said nothing.

“Maybe start with your name?”

She shook her head.

“Okay whenever you’re ready.” she assured.

“Why are you doing this?” Ramona found the courage to ask.

“Because I know from personal experience how hard it can be.”Robin informed. “I’ve been elevated for three years. And was miserable for two of them. I tried doctors, the government, nobody knew what to do with me. I wasn’t the first but i think I might’ve been one of them. Even now society’s only playing catch up and I feel like I can help people. Even if it’s just a little.”

“I’m not sure what to talk about.” Ramona said.

“Just name something.”

“Like the voices.” Ramona tried.

“Good one. It’s actually quite a common symptom. You’ve probably noticed changes in your perception already. It can hit you pretty quickly. I thought I was reading minds when it happened to me. Luckily it goes away. Your brain just needs time to sort out all the information.”

“Why is it happening?”

“I wish I could answer that.” Robin replied. “The best I can figure the brains just running faster than usual. You figure things out faster, comprehend more, understand subtle things you used to ignore everyday. What’s important is that you don’t let it alienate you.”
“Alienate?”

“It’s easy to feel your alone, especially with enhanced abilities. People literally won’t understand you because they can’t.”

“Speaking from personal experience.” Ramona commented.

“That story I told you about my girlfriend. It wasn’t and automatic happy ending. I flew after her and when I found her she was amazed for a while, but then.”

“My sister’s an idiot.” Susie piped in.

“No she’s not!” Robin chastised. “After a while I started making comments. Noticing things she hadn’t said, giving her advice on secrets I wasn’t supposed to know. She thought.”

“That she was an alien!” Susie interrupted again.”

“That’s not true is it?”

“She has kind of an active imagination.” Robin blushed. “We split for a long time after that. I’ve since learned to tone it down, but that’s enough about me. Anyone want to share?”

“Nope.” Rodney said matter of factly.

Susie shrugged and pointed to her earbuds as if that was somehow and answer.

“My friends.” the giant girl mumbled.

“Can’t hear you honey.” Robin said cupping her hand to her ear even though she heard what was said.

“My friends.” She repeated louder. “I can’t see them anymore. When I elevated my friends were visiting. I crashed through the roof and a piece fell on one of them. He broke his leg and had to get a cast. I’m afraid….afraid I might hurt him again, might hurt them again.” Her voice was cracking as she tried to keep her composure. “My mom says I’m lucky but I just want to hug her. I’m so scared and I can’t even hug her! I didn’t want any of this!” She was full on crying now her bellows echoed throughout the yard.

Robin flew up and perched herself on the girls shoulder. She used a wing to wipe the tears from her eye. “You’ve come here three times and haven’t said a word. Is this what’s been bothering you?”

She nodded.

“What’s your name?” Robin asked.

“Sheila.” She wept.

“How long have you been elevated Sheila?”

“Three months.”

“And how long since you’ve seen your friends?”

“Three months.” she repeated with increased despair.

“Then it’s a good thing you came here. We can try and help you.”

“You can?” Sheila asked unsure. She turned her head to look upon the woman on her shoulder. What could she know. She didn’t seem that old. Not as old as her mom. Yet when she smiled it seemed to put her at ease. Maybe she could be trusted. She had to know more than the moron’s at the facility.

“I guess it’s time we talk about the second reason for these meetings. To discover and control our abilities.”

“That’s why we meet in a junkyard.” Susie chimed.

“That could include helping you gain some confidence in meeting with your friends.” Robin continued turning an eye to Sheila.

She sniffled in response.

“Try opening your hand.” Robin suggested.

Sheila didn’t respond.

“Come on, you won’t hurt me.” She promised.

“She reluctantly uncurled her shaky fingers and to her surprise Robin hopped right off her shoulder and landed gently into her open palm.

“Nice and easy see.” she said softly. “If you’re not comfortable with living normals we can start with mannequins and I’m always available.”

“Really?” Sheila asked slightly more chipper.

“Yes! And don’t think we’re all perfect here accidents happen and I’m sure your friend knows that.”

The meeting continued and everybody had opened up a little more. Rodney had confessed a problem with breaking things and trouble finding clothes that fit. Robin named some websites that sold specialty clothing that even had sized for Sheila. Susie was having problems controlling her power stating that things often flew about without her control. Making Ramona squirm slightly at the ride they had taken to get there. Even Robin revealed what a hassle it was controlling her wings indoors. Soon enough they were looking on Ramona hoping the newest member had something to reveal, but what could she say?

She’d only been elevated for three days yet everything was so different. She felt like a powder keg of energy all the time and had nothing to do with it She noticed things she shouldn’t. Apparently she resented her sister, her family had been keeping secrets about her brother who she now suspected might be a criminal. How did she even know that! Her mother was stuck in some warehouse, the voices still wouldn’t quite down, an apparently she could fly. And all that was trivial compared to the darkest thought lurking in her head.

“I really want to punch something.” She said.

Robin nodded and gestured toward the dilapidated Saddan Rodney had been benching. She stood in front of it and took in a deep breath. There was something digging in the back of her mind desperately trying to claw it’s way out. All day, subtle changes. The shaking, the cracked smile, the tone, he left. She knew it. She didn’t know how but she did. Five years, thats how long it had been. Officially two, but unofficially even longer. Five years, that’s when she realized how she felt. Five years and he leaves. It was small, normally dismissed, but she wasn’t dumb and he wasn’t a coward. It was so fast. The change, she didn’t realize it. How could she? They would’ve gotten….they would’ve.

Her hand tensed. If her eyes were open they’d be glowing. Her muscles burned. She opened with a snap as it hit her. She put her fist through the steel frame and sent it crashing ten yards in front of her colliding and collapsing a giant pile of parts and metal. As the dust settled she regained herself.

“Damn girl!” Rodney exclaimed. There was a red hot smoldering hole where her fist had went through.

“My boyfriend…...he’s, he’s afraid of me.” She admitted more to herself than anyone else. The bitter words bring more pain to her than anything she’d ever felt. “ And maybe he should be.” she wheezed as the tears came.

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I know what you're thinking. Ian Malcolm said it first, but it adds more credibility when you're basically responsible for a giant T-rex terrorizing a city.

Yes you've met most of the group before. Hope you liked their little chapter because you won't be seeing them again in Ramona's story arc. I know I said four chapters but I need just one more so please bare with me. Bare? Bear?...no bares right. 

Next chapter's probably gonna be a painful one. Hopefully it won't be as long as this one though. 

Please comment and review or complain or whatever.