- Text Size +
“Well Joseph it's not like you have any solid proof of this.”

“You seemed to agree with me just a short while ago though. I saw how your eyes changed and you were even fighting to keep your claws retracted.”

“I know and I do agree with you. Your hypothesis sounds so solid that it makes me angry and I'm inclined to believe you. However, that isn't proof. It does sound logical enough for us to keep an eye on Markus and watch what moves he makes. In the end though they may not relent for fear that it would seem out of the ordinary and thus tip of Markus and cause them to delay their plans.”

“I see. I hadn't thought about that.”

“There is a chance though Joseph and I believe that you should tell Mina and my mother about this. They can take it from there and pass it on to some of our brothers. I really think that would be the best move.”

“Thanks Maria. Well then. If you don't mind would you wait for me to get ready? It's still early and I would like to tell Flora and then Mina.”

***********************************************************************************

Mirin once again found himself setting atop Sora's thigh even as he listened to Mina. While he didn't show any emotions he actually found himself quite intrigued by the theory. “It's a wonderful theory I'll give you that and this was brought to you by Maria's Joseph?”

In response Mina gave a quick nod. “Yeah. I guess he really is trying to help the escapees.”

“Indeed. While his reasons are somewhat strange in my opinion and I feel his mercy is being wasted I have to admit the theory has merit. It has too much merit for us not to act on it and fortunately now we can. With the capture of the last of the escapees we can tel Markus that his services are no longer needed and he may choose from amongst the claimed.”

To this Mina gave a nod. “I doubt that he's going to choose right away. Even if Joseph's theory proves to be false the odds of him picking someone right off the bat are just too low.”

“Indeed. However, there may be a way for us to speed up his choosing. If we announced that we believed the mage was amongst those that hadn't tried to escape and began working them over the mage would be hurried. This would hurry Markus in return.”

Before Mirin could continue speaking Mina spoke up. “Mirin that was one of the things Joseph sought to avoid by not telling us. I don't believe that it would be a good move on our part to do the very thing he feared so much. On top of that not all the claimed are deserving of such treatment. Such brutality would be unjust to those that are truly working to earn their life back.”

Before speaking Sora reached down and gave Mirin a quick flick on the arm. The impact was actually enough to make him yelp slightly and begin rubbing where she had flicked him. “Yeah Mirin that's just going too far.”

A sigh escaped Mirin as he continued to rub his now throbbing arm. “It was just a suggestion.”

In response to Mirin's comment Sora gave him another flick. “You're one of the highest rank brothers around. Even your little comments can have affects if you don't think them through.”

A sharp grunt had escaped Mirin when Sora had given him the second flick. “Okay you win. I was being unfairly brutal.”

To this Sora gave a nod. “That's better. Now want me to kiss your arm better?”

“No thanks.”

Ah come on. I want to kiss your arm better.”

“I know.”

“Then why not let me?”

“You were the one that flicked me in the arm.”

“Ah! You can be such a spoil sport.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina despite the seriousness of the news she'd brought. “Well then. Mirin I guess you can pick the sister that's going to keep an eye on Markus and who's going to deliver the news.”

“I'll see that it's taken care of before the hour is up.”

Before Mina could leave Sora spoke up one last time. “If he doesn't I'll give him another flick.”

***********************************************************************************

As Joseph neared the market he could hear the music already. It reminded him that he wanted to ask Maria about her musical skills later and why she hadn't used them since she received her speed increase. He was also reminded that he hadn't really eaten much that day as he noted the smell of smoked meat being carried on the winds as well as the sent of vegetables and fruits searing.

Alexa grinned as she set at the table. She had chosen to skip dinner so that she could eat during the night as apparently had many of her sisters. It was a common practice whenever one planned to come, listen to the music, dance, socialize and have fun in general. Tonight was special though. As it was the night they'd recaptured the last of the escapees several sisters had come out to celebrate as had several brothers.

Upon entering the market Joseph immediately took note of his surroundings. It was perhaps more crowded now then it was during the day at least the center of the market was. What he really took notice of though was a few groups of males scattered throughout the market. While human was the dominant race amongst the males he also noted some elves and dwarfs. For a moment he started to go towards them whenever he heard a familiar voice.

“Hey Joseph I'm glad you finally decided to come!” As she spoke Kiara made her way over to Joseph.

“Hello Kiara. So I guess you've already made your rounds tonight.”

“Indeed I have.”

“That kind of makes me feel guilty about going with you on some of your rounds. I must have really slowed you down.”

“Ah it isn't a big deal.”

“So Kiara I hope you don't mind me asking but is Maria here?”

In response Kiara gave her head a quick shake. “I don't smell her here. She's probably off sleeping.”

“Ah I was hoping to speak to her. Ah well. Kiara, I can't help but notice that they're a fair number of humans here.”

In response Kiara gave a nod. “They don't work in the market but some of them come by regularly to unwind. You should go speak to them a bit.”

“I have to say I'm a bit surprised by how many are here.”

“Ah well don't be too surprised. I mean would you really be impressed if that turned out to be all of them?”

“Um well no but is that all of them.”

“No. I just don't think you should be impressed.”

“Ah very well then. Well I think I'll wait to meet them later actually. I've never been the type to just walk up to strangers.”

“You'll never get anywhere that way. Come on and I'll introduce you to them.”

“No thanks.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah I'd rather just look around as it's my first time here.”

“That's fine. Hey Joseph are you going to take part in the fire eating contest?”

“Huh? What exactly is that?”

“It's part of the annual winter celebration and sort of a party game at other times. We take some fresh fish and cut it very very thinly. We then powder it very generously with searing rout. People then see who can eat the most of it without taking a drink.”

“What if you don't like fish?”

“Other meats are usable if you don't care for fish. The big thing is whether or not you can endure the heat. I think they're going to have an impromptu game here pretty soon. So feel like playing?”

“I'll have to think about it. Will you be participating?”

“Er not this time. I've pretty much given up on competing against Dan. I swear that human has something other then a tongue in his mouth.”

“You mean Mina's mate?”

In response Kiara gave a quick nod. “He's actually managed to win the official contest the last two years in a row and several impromptus.”

“How is that possible?”

“We're quite resistant to heat and other forms of actual attacks. We're even very resistant to poisons and bacteria. However, our tongues resistance to spices isn't exactly beyond that of a humans. I'd even go so far as to say that we're only as resistant to such things as most humans. Well except sisters like Mina.”

“So Dan's primary competition is his mate?”

A slight giggle escaped Kiara as she gave her head a quick shake. “No way. Mina can't stand spicy food at least not that spicy. Her record to date is getting to three slices and that's only with Dan encouraging her every step of the way. This year she's hoping to make it to four but I have my doubts.”

“Are you serious?”

In response Kiara gave a quick nod. “Well yeah. So do you feel like competing?”

“I. I suppose so it sounds like it could be a bit of fun. When will it be happening.”

“Come with me I'll show you to the tables.”

Mina gave a sigh as she felt Dan's hand press against her massive back. She knew that he would be competing with her soon but he was still going to encourage her to go as far as she could. Of course she wanted to do the same to him. “So are you going to show everyone here how to handle a fire on your tongue?”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he patted Mina on the back. “No I believe that you're going to do that this time.”

“I wish. I'll be lucky to get to three slices again.”

“Mina you're going to beat three slices this time I know it. You've made it to three before you know you can endure it and you're going to do it again. Not only are you going to do it again but you're going to do better.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she leaned to the side and gave Dan a kiss on his head. “I swear I don't know why I put myself through this. This could almost count as self inflicted torture.”

“It's because you don't want to cheat yourself out of a wonderful spice and this is one way to mastering it.” Even as Dan spoke he couldn't have removed his grin even if he wanted to. It had been quite a surprise whenever he'd learned that his big strong Mina couldn't handle hot spices on her food. It had actually made him even more fond of her to see that side of her though.

Mina took a moment to rub her forehead as she realizes she was already beginning to sweat. Just the thought of placing the spice saturated fish into her mouth made her rather nervous. “Well it does have an interesting flavor I just wish I could enjoy it over the pain.”

“In time you will learn to do so.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she shook her head. “Were you trying to sound sagely just now?”

“Just a little.”

“Even though I'm a few decades older then you?”

“You sure don't look it.”

“Well thank you.” As Mina finished speaking she leaned towards Dan and gave him a kiss atop his head. Of course he'd been surprised whenever she'd revealed how old she truly was to him but it didn't seem to trouble him. Of course, the difference wasn't as great as some human elf relationships.

“Dan, Mina so you two are competing in the eating contest?”

In response to the voice Mina and Dan glanced over at Joseph though Mina was the one that spoke up. “Well I don't know if I'd call it competing. I'm just practicing a bit. Dan here is here to win.”

As Joseph spoke he made his way over to the table and took a position opposite Mina and Dan. “Is that true Dan?”

“Mina makes it out to be more certain then it is. Really I'm just here to enjoy some nice spicy fish. Are you going to be joining us?”

“Yeah Kiara talked me into it. So when will the fish be served?”

“It'll be a while yet this is an impromptu after all.”

As Joseph and Dan chatted for a moment Mina considered telling Joseph about their plan. How the escapees would continue to be punished as even if Joseph was right they had to keep up appearances. However, there was something she thought he'd like to know more. “Joseph I had a chance to speak with Mirin about your theory. He thinks it's worth looking into as do the other brothers and keepers we told about it. They're going to commit some resources to examining your proposed path.”

“That's good to know. What about the path they're currently traveling?”

“Well while your theory is a good one we aren't certain it's true. So we're going to be continuing the path we were already on as well.”

In response Joseph gave a nod. “I see. Well maybe I can come up with some more evidence to support my theory.”

“If you can that would help your case and maybe get us to abandon the current path. You might be happy to know that in the interest of conserving energy though we're decreasing the intensity with which we've been pursuing the old path.”

“I'm glad to here that. So Dan isn't the alchemy shop suppose to be open constantly?”

“Indeed it is and it is right now.”

“So who runs the place whenever you're not there? If it's going to take a while for the food to be ready maybe I should go and meet them.”

“Typically apprentices run the alchemy shop during the slower hours. Right now Steven is watching the shop for me.”

“I can't say I know the name. What is he exactly?”

“Steven is one of the humans that was raised here. He only recently come of age to start minding the shop this year though.” A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “From what I know he had one tough time convincing his mother to let him begin now.”

“Is he like Allen?”

“Indeed he is. Damn, as tough as Steven had it I don't know how Allen is going to convince Stella to let him start working there.”

In response to Dan's comment Mina spoke up. “Now Dan I know Stella is protective of Allen but she doesn't smother him. You should have heard her talking to him about her having to go out more often and how he needed to be brave for her.”

In response Dan gave a slight shrug. “I don't know Mina. Even now Stella tends to watch Allen very closely.”

A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “She's only being a bit more careful then most of us are with our children and mates.”

Dan gave a slight chuckle as he nodded his head. “Well yeah I suppose you have me there.”

Before anyone else could comment a voice rang throughout the entire market. “Okay everyone. The fish is ready and we've prepared some pork for those of you who don't like fish. If you're going to be competing in the contest please take a seat in the center area. If you're already seated there but don't want to compete please move to a different area unless you want us to force the fish into your mouth.”

Joseph noted several people chuckling as if a joke had just been made. However, several people began to stand up and move away from the center area clearly not wanting to be involved. He also noted Mina twitching for a moment as if she was going to leave until Dan placed a hand on her massive hand. This seemed to settle her down and she grew still.

“Okay it looks like everyone who wants to be clear is clear. As we have someone that's new to the contest I'll go over the rules. You take one slice of fish or pork and eat it. You must chew each piece you take at the very least ten times. If you're found just swallowing you get a spoonful of powder and are disqualified.

You must eat your next piece within thirty seconds of when the call to consume is given. If you don't you're disqualified. If you throw up your disqualified. If you take a drink of water or use any form of magic you're disqualified. There is to be no complaining about your slice being overly saturated with spice or someones being under saturated. If you see a piece that you don't believe has much spice and someone beats you to it deal with it.

I'll be calling to consume. Once you've eaten as much as you can take you can go to the refreshment table and get whatever you want. I suggest you drink something thicker then water.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he looked at Joseph. “Be careful about assuming a piece doesn't have much spice on it. Some of the cooks like to open up the fillet and sneak some extra spice inside.”

“I take it that only applies to these minor games.”

“Indeed the official game is far better organized.” As Dan noted the food being brought out he turned his attention to Mina. “Are you ready for this?”

“Mm not really but I'm going to do it.” A sigh escaped Mina as the large plates of fish and pork were placed before them. She could smell the spice on both items and it nearly made her recoil. It felt like her tongue was already drying up and she felt the need to go for a cup of water already. Dan was setting next to her though and she wanted to stay in the competition as long as she could.

There was no way that anyone could taste that fish. At least that was how Joseph felt as he noted the amount of spice coating it. Normally the spice was meant to complement the flavor of the fish but right now Joseph felt the fish was only a platform on which to deliver the spice. As the plates were set down he noted Dan and the others had already taken up a piece. In response he followed soot holding the piece of fish near his mouth and remembering he had to chew.

“Consume.”

Despite her hesitation the moment Mina heard the words she tossed the fish into her mouth. As she began to chew and the spice began to coat her tongue she was made to shake. She could already feel the heat filling up her mouth and her eyes nearly started to water. Then she felt Dan's hand on her massive thigh gently rubbing it and she looked at him. The pain didn't go away but it diminished even as she chewed her fish and swallowed.

The fish was every bit as spicy as Joseph had expected it to be. He noted the warmth on his tongue as he chewed and swallowed. It wasn't enough to send him going for a drink though. He was a bit surprised though whenever he noticed Mina and how much trouble she seemed to be having at the moment. Apparently she didn't have much of a fondness or a tongue for such spicy food. He had been told as much of course but actually seeing it happen was something else.

“Well that's one down and we only had two go out. Not bad. Okay consume.”

While Dan used one hand to pick up his next slice of fish and pop it into his mouth the other stayed on Mina's thigh. As he saw her lifting the fish he actually tightened his grip on her massive leg to try and reassure her. It actually amazed Dan how much this seemed to helped Mina. Mina was big both in height and in build. Even if she'd been a regular sized woman her muscles would have been huge. Standing at four meters tall though her massive thigh made his hand look like a small child's. Yet she took such comfort in knowing that it was there.

As Mina chewed the fish she had to fight the urge to just swallow until she chewed for the tenth time. The fish sliding down her throat didn't relieve the pain though and indeed it only seemed to flair up worse. She didn't know how Dan could tolerate such heat on his food but he wasn't even blinking yet.

Dan smiled up at Mina as she looked down at him. “You can do this Mina. You're about to three again and this time you're going to beat three. I'm right here with you and I know you can do it.”

While Joseph wasn't having it as rough as Mina he could hardly believe the lack of response from Dan. Such spices tended to be used sparingly and even then most needed a few cups of refreshments to handle a dish. Joseph had some experience eating spicy food but even he was pushing it at the moment.

“MM a few more drop outs already? Ah well. Consume!”

It was only Dan's hand on her thigh keeping Mina in her seat as she placed the third piece of fish into her mouth. The ideal seemed laughable for a moment as she noted how little of her massive thigh Dan's hand covered. Even if he had clung to her leg with all of his might she wouldn't have had any trouble walking. As she chewed though she felt his hand doing more then wresting on her thigh rather it began to glide over it very slowly and gently even approaching her inner thigh a few times.

“You're doing wonderful Mina. Just hold out for a little while longer and you'll be able to go get a drink knowing you beat your old score.”

The difference between the third piece of fish and the second was truly amazing to Joseph. What had been uncomfortable for him was now reaching the state where it was painful. He actually noted himself beginning to sweat. As he looked around though he realized he wasn't the only one. Dan on the other hand seemed to be doing just fine. “Dan how are you doing this?”

In response to Joseph's comment Dan gave a shrug. “I grew up on food like this. Well not quite as spicy but a similar type of cooking.”

“Huh? So you're not from around the forest?”

“Ah no. I lived quite a bit further away before.”

“Consume.”

As Mina picked up the fourth piece of fish she was made to shiver as she slipped it into her mouth. Carefully she chewed the piece of fish ten times while reaching down for Dan's hand. Her massive hand engulfed his as she gently lifted it from her thigh. As she released her hold on his hand a mini explosion seemed to shake the area as over half a ton of muscle leaped from its seat and began to dash towards the refreshment table.

Joseph didn't know what to say. One minute Mina had been there and then he'd felt the table shudder violently. Apparently the force needed to propel four meters or massive and dense muscle was quite astounding. As his gaze turned to Dan he was surprised to see Dan was actually chuckling a bit.

After finishing his piece of fish Dan looked over at Mina. “Wonderful work Mina! I knew you could do it.”

There was no response to Dan from Mina even as he praised her. Rather while her right hand held one cup of juice her left had already secured another. The first was emptied into her mouth in moments when the left was lifted to it. Even as she was draining the left cup though her right hand released the empty one and secured another.

Everyone seemed to have been stunned by Mina's sudden departure from the table. Several others were beginning to laugh though no mockery could be heard. There were a few shouts of congratulations though Mina was far from winning. It seemed clear to Joseph that most knew of Mina's trouble with spicy food. “Well I can't say I was expecting that.”

“I probably should have warned you the moment Mina took hold of my hand. So Joseph how long do you think you can last?”

“I'm not going out any time soon.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he gave his head a nod. “Well then get ready for another bit then.”

“Consume.”

A sigh escaped Mina as she finished off the seventh large mug. Her tongue was still tingling but the pain was going away. A slight giggle escaped her a moment later as she looked back towards the table and noted Joseph and Dan. Apparently Joseph thought that he could last as long as her Dan. Joseph was already showing signs that the heat was getting to him while Dan was still quite cool. She was rather doubtful that Joseph would manage to beat Dan.

“So Dan I heard you've lost these a few times.”

“Yes occasionally I have.”

“How did that end up happening?”

“Well when you're competing with the girls if the heat isn't enough to beat them you're going to lose. They can handle fitting more in their stomach then we can after all.”

“What? So you've only been out eaten you've never been done in by the heat?”

“Now I didn't say that.”

“Ha quite funny. Now. Has the heat ever done you in?”

In response Dan gave a nod. “Indeed it has a few times even I have my limits to how much of this I can eat before I need a drink.”

At first Joseph said nothing as the order to consume was given again. As he finished chewing and swallowed though he was ready to continue questioning Dan. “I'm surprised you didn't say anything about you eating more heavily spiced fish or them eating less spiced fish.”

“Why would I do that?”

“To explain why you lost.”

In response Dan gave a shrug. “I lost that is all there is to it. Besides those times I lost Mina wasn't there.”

“Huh?”

Dan had a grin on his face as he looked away from Joseph and towards Mina. It was true what he'd told Joseph. Having Mina around seemed to encourage his competitive streak even if it was as on something as silly as a eating contest. She was grinning though so he felt confident that he'd said the right thing. “It helps whenever someone is around to encourage you.”

Before Joseph could respond the order to consume was given in and he found himself chewing on another bit of fish. As he chewed he could feel his face warming up and he was beginning to feel an urgent need to get a drink of water. It was hard for Joseph to tell how Dan was doing with his tongue on fire but Dan seemed to be quite fine to him.

***********************************************************************************

“Hello Mina what brings you here?”

As Markus greeted her Mina was regretting being up so late. The night time festivities had gone on for quite some time even after the eating contest and she and Dan had stayed there. Now she felt and was visibly groggy. “Hi Markus I just came to let you know the last of the escapees have been found. In accordance with our agreement you may now pick from amongst any of the claimed that didn't try to escape and they'll be moved to rank one.”

“That's wonderful news!”

“Yeah I thought you might like that.” A sigh escaped Mina as she rubbed her eye. “Well I just came to deliver the news I need to get to work.”

“Are you going to check on your claimed?”

“Huh? Oh no. I'm in charge of interrogating a lot of the escapees. Mm I hope I don't drown anyone today I'm kind of out of it. I may have to ask Flora to see to it.”

In response Markus gave a nod. “I see. Well thank you for the news though I hope you don't mind me asking but. Why you?”

“Why me what?”

“Why did you see fit to deliver the message.”

In response Mina gave a shrug. “Someone had to deliver it and I hoped the run would wake me up.”

“It doesn't seem to have worked.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she nodded her head. “I would have to agree. Maybe I should take a teaspoon of searing root. Anyway, I take it you know where all the claimed are housed.”

In response Markus gave a quick nod. “I'm fairly certain I do.”

“All the keepers know of our agreement so pick as you like. I'm going to head back.”

“Wait Mina. There is something I want to ask. Would it be possible for me to take some of the claimed for the day once in a while to see how skilled they are in the wilderness?”

“You mean take them away from their tasks? Not a chance. If you want to test them you're going to have to explain the situation to them. They do have some free time after all and it's up to them if they want to spend it with you or not.”

“What? Do you realize how much more difficult that'll make choosing a partner?”

“Markus we're already short on people to handle the duties the claimed regularly tend to. We're not going to further diminish that resource pool. Until we're done interrogating the escapees we can't really allow such things.”

A sigh escaped Markus as he shook his head. “Fine.”

As Shiara watched Mina leaving she had a wide grin on her face. Her sister had done quite a good job of keeping up appearances though Shiara felt Mina's tone had been a bit harsher then normal. However, now Shiara's actual work had to begin. Mirin had asked her to shadow Markus.

***********************************************************************************

“You'll probably want to drink this.”

Joseph groaned lightly as he looked up at Maria's smile face. For a moment he reached up and fumbled around until he felt her place something cool in his hands. “I'm not sure if I can keep it down.”

“Don't worry that's both light and soothing on the stomach.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she walked away from Joseph and set down.

“Thanks. I feel terrible.” As he spoke Joseph took a few light sips of the drink. Fortunately it was cool and fairly tasteless which in his current condition was a blessing.

“I heard you kept up with Dan for a while last night. I'm not surprised you're feeling sick.”

“Those spices aren't exactly easy on the digestive system.”

“At least not a humans.”

“Well yeah. At least I'm not Dan though.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she noted the grin on Joseph's face. “Actually Dan's doing just fine I saw him this morning whenever I went into the dining hall to pick that up for you.”

“Huh? Are you sure that he's a human?”

“Pretty sure but nights like the last one makes us a little suspicious.”

Instead of responding right away Joseph took a few more sips of the juice and slowly began to set up. “Last night I was hoping you'd be at the festival.”

“Yeah I heard you were asking about me. I'm sorry I wasn't there but I had already gone to sleep.”

“That's alright I understand and besides maybe it's better that we talk about it now. There is something I wanted to ask you about.”

“Oh?”

“It's something that I don't want anyone to hear us talking about though.”

For a moment Maria said nothing but took a moment to look Joseph over. “I see. Are you going to make me promise again?”

“Well I kind of need you to.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Joseph it was really hard to do this. I can't just keep making promises like the last one.

“Maria I promise you that what I'm asking you to do won't harm your sisters.”

In response Maria gave a nod. “That makes it a lot easier. Okay Joseph I promise I won't tell anyone what you're about to tell me.”

“Are we alone?”

“As far as I can tell there is no one around that can hear us. However, if you're truly worried you can whisper I'll still hear you.”

For a moment Joseph was silent and when he did speak he made sure to speak very softly. “One of the life bloom seeds survived the transformation and is currently growing inside my lab. I would like you to help me run some tests to see if it's safe for your species to eat it.”

Maria immediately felt herself lock up as she looked at Joseph. It was a struggle to keep from pouncing him and insisting that he take her to see the plant right now. Instead she took in several deep breathes and tried to calm herself. “I. I was wondering. When you'd let me break my diet.”

It was clear to Joseph that Maria was excited but containing herself. “The plant isn't ready to yield fruit just yet but it won't be long before it is. I thought I would tell you now because I need to examine you. I need a better ideal of your biology and how it responds to such things so I can tell if the fruit is having an adverse effect.”

It was as if someone had settled a great weight down upon Maria as she listened to this. “Joseph it depends on what you want to study. You know how careful we are to hide our weak points.”

“I know but Maria. I'm going to have to ask you to trust me not to seek out such secrets and if I do find one I won't ever tell anyone.”

“I. I.” A sigh escaped Maria as her previous energy seemed to fade away. “I trust you Joseph.” Even as Maria spoke she couldn't help but feel that she was endangering all her sisters by allowing someone to study her. She didn't know what information Joseph would truly need to insure the life bloom wasn't harming her but she hoped it wasn't too invasive.

“Thank you Maria. What would be a good time for the examinations?”

“Early morning would be the best time I believe.”

“Okay so could we start tomorrow?”

“Sure.”

***********************************************************************************

“Markus what brings you here?”

“Hello Liana I'm just checking amongst the claimed trying to find one worth promoting to rank one. Would it be okay if I talked to yours?”

“You already have permission from those higher then me. I can't really help you though.” A slight giggle escaped Liana as she glanced over at Markus.

“Huh? Is something wrong?”

“I haven't been issued new claimed since the escape. While some of them were retrieved mine were killed.”

“Killed doing what?”

“One of them was apparently killed by his fellow escapees as a decoy. The others tried to take Allen hostage with Pera near by. That didn't work out for them. I was really worried whenever I first heard about it.”

“You were worried they might have hurt him?”

“Of course. Allen is such a little sweet heart I was worried it might leave a bad impression on him. Then being separated from Stella for such a long time. The poor kid just had it rough all around.”

“Ah yes that I know about. I actually knew that some of the claimed had tried to take Allen as a hostage but I didn't realize that they were yours. I wonder what made them decide to take such a violent approach.”

“I think I might have been too soft on them. Perhaps they didn't realize what would happen if they did such a thing.” A sigh escaped Liana as she shook her head. “I just can't turn myself off like Mina can though. I really don't like being mean even to my prey it's just easier to give them a quick death they don't see coming.”

“I guess that's one form of mercy. Well then I guess I'll be off to speak with some of the other keepers.”

“Sure thing.”

Shiara waited until Markus had left the room and was too far away to hear to even whisper to Liana. “I doubt that you're upset by the lack of any claimed to keep.”

Liana was made to give a slight jump. Despite her hearing and sense of smell she hadn't realized Shiara was around. She did recognize the voice though. “Shiara I really wish you wouldn't do that. It's going to take an hour to get my heart to calm down.”

A slight giggle escaped Shiara as she placed a hand on her sister's shoulder. “My mistake. I forgot how easy you are to surprise when you can't hear me or smell me approaching.”

As Shiara's hand came to wrest upon her shoulder Liana was astounded that her sister could be so hard to detect. Just by the feeling of Shiara's hand it was clear how massive she truly was. “So just what are you up to?”

“Oh I'm just helping Mirin with a little investigation.”

“Oh just what type of investigation.”

“I'm just shadowing Markus for the moment.”

“Are you sure you should be telling me this or even talking to me.”

“Of course and besides I have a little favor to ask you.”

“What is that?”

“Please leave me a little snack outside of Markus's dwelling.”

“Huh?”

“I'm kind of hungry. So um please.”

A slight giggle escaped Liana. “Sure and I'll pick up a snack to keep with me as well. If you see me again just take it from me.” For a moment Liana felt a pressure exerted all around her body as if she was being hugged.

“Thanks.”

***********************************************************************************

“It stands to reason that they would want to keep up appearances if Joseph's theory is indeed correct. So I'm not surprised that Shiara didn't learn anything on her first day of observation. Still, we must prepared for the possibility that Joseph's theory is wrong.”

“Hey Mirin why don't you just try using a spell to force Markus to tell you what you want to know?”

“Well it is possible Sora but such spells are rather high risks. They can damage the person they're being cast upon and it would be most unfortunate to learn that we'd dealt such an injury to an innocent person.”

“Huh? Are you serious? I didn't expect that to come from you.”

“Well I imagine you would scold me if I said it was a good ideal. Once you learned abut the risks.”

A slight giggle escaped Sora as she nodded her head. “Well yeah I would have. So what other theories do you want to investigate?”

“Unfortunately most of the other theories can't truly be investigated at this moment. It's quite frustrating. If the mage did stay behind the odds of us managing to make a spell to track him using some of his spiritual residue are nearly none existent. At least within the confines of the market area.”

“So how long do you plan on having Shiara shadow Markus?”

“Hopefully until he chooses a claimed to set free.”

“That could be a while if they're really trying to keep up appearances.”

“True. I wonder if we can encourage Markus and the mage to make their move sooner. Perhaps we should announce plans to begin testing every claimed for magic ability.”

“Mirin I'm not a mage but even I know how difficult that is. While a novice would have difficulty a proficient mage would have little trouble masking their abilities.”

“That is true but it isn't impossible and even a slight chance of detecting may accelerate their plans as it seems to have whenever Mina found some of their supplies. Plus there is still the chance that the test themselves may yield results.”

“That's true. You could also make the current claimed pick up the slack of those that are currently being dealt with.”

“You know Sora I believe you actually have a good ideal there. At least it would be something to begin with. Would you mind talking it over with your fellow keepers and seeing if they'll agree to do so?”

In response Sora gave a quick nod. “Sure I doubt that it'll be tough to convince them. Unless of course the mage is one of the trusted claimed then it might feel out of place going harder on them.”

“It might be something they have to deal with.”

“Yeah, so do you have any ideals on how to go about testing for a mage?”

In response Mirin gave a nod. “Yes I do. Unguided mystic energy tends to respond to a mage's presence more strongly then it does someone who isn't magically attuned. We can use that to run some tests though if a mage chooses to conceal themselves it's not exceptionally accurate. We can place them in random locations and let some of the claimed over hear that they're out there but not where.”

“Oh I see. So he will have to keep his magic constantly restrained if he wants to insure he isn't detected.”

“Exactly. It's a shame we didn't learn of the scrolls sooner or we could have began testing then. Channeling the energies to empower them would have left him easier to detect.”

***********************************************************************************

“Mom can we talk?”

In response to Maria's voice Flora glanced over at Mina. “Do you mind if I step out for a few?”

“Of course not. Even I can hear from Maria's tone she needs you right now.”

In response Flora gave a quick nod. “Thank you.”

Maria gave a sigh as she looked around. While she'd been smiling whenever she'd left Joseph's she couldn't help but feel concerned. Her mother had always been a good source of wisdom to her though she hadn't always listened. So she had chosen to turn to her.

“What's the matter Flora?”

“Can we speak in low tones? I just want this to be you and me.”

“Of course.” As she spoke Flora lowered her voice so that only her daughter could hear her. “Now what is the matter?”

“It's Joseph. I care for him and have grown really fond of him recently. I mean really fond of him. He's been asking me to promise certain things though. I'll go ahead and tell you that while I have made the promises each time I've felt as if I was betraying you and my other sisters on some level.”

“Ah. So it is, I'm about to tell you something but I need you to promise me that you won't tell anyone else type?”

“Exactly.”

A sigh escaped Flora as she nodded her head. “Such promises are rather hard to make when you don't know what they're going to ask. I have no doubt that Joseph cares for you sweet heart and wouldn't do anything to harm you. At least not directly. So I suppose what he has to ask is in regards to your sisters and myself.”

“Well yeah.”

“Maria this is something I haven't had much experience with. I've never really found another that caught my eye to the point that I wanted to make him my only one. You should probably speak to Mina about this.”

“Do you believe she could offer some advice?”

“I believe she could do a better job of it then I could. However I will say this. It isn't fair for Joseph to be putting these kinds of burden on you. You need to make it clear to him that this hurts you and you don't enjoy it.”

“Thanks mom.”

“You're welcome my baby. Now come on and I'll give Mina a break while you talk with her.”

***********************************************************************************

“Maria what you need to realize that Joseph is scared. He knows something about our people and culture but he doesn't know everything. So he's worried that there is some little detail that he's missing and that if what he was telling you got out it could have very bad results. If not for him then for others that he wouldn't wish harm upon.”

“Mina did you go through something similar with Dan?”

In response Mina quickly nodded her head. “Early on it was very hard to get Dan to make anything other then what he knew we already had. He even refused to use the short cuts and more material efficient methods he himself had learned. It was only as he came to trust the society as a whole that he began to actually write down his knowledge and use it more freely.”

“Hey. I bet that's why Joseph made me promise not to tell anyone whenever he mentioned his theory about the claimed.”

“You're right. Joseph wasn't worried about his own safety but he didn't want to make the claimed suffer. So he wanted to insure that you wouldn't tell anyone without his permission to insure that his thoughts didn't lead to the pain or death of others. However, I agree with your mother. It isn't fair that he keeps putting such burdens on you.”

“So you believe I should confront him as well?”

In response Mina gave a nod. “It's good that he trusts you. Especially that he trust you enough to tell you such things. However, he needs to trust you enough to talk about such things with you freely with no promises involved.”

“I'm just kind of worried that telling him that will cause him to close up to me a bit.”

“Firstly if it does cause him to close up that means he isn't ready for such a trusting relationship. Secondly he may not realize to what extent his request are harming you. I believe that is truly the case and it should cause him to quit.”

“Thanks Mina. So what did Dan tell you that you weren't to tell anyone else?”

“I'm not going to tell you that!”

“Ah! Come on. It has to been years now.”

“No. Unless, maybe you'd be willing to tell me what Joseph told you in exchange.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she looked up into Mina's eyes. “You don't mean a word of that.”

“Of course not!”

“Thanks for the talk Mina. I believe that I will go speak with Joseph about it.”

“You're welcome. Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to work.”

***********************************************************************************

Liana had a massive grin on her face as she made her way towards the alchemy shop. She was already wearing the special bracelets, anklets and necklace needed to be around such supplies. She was also packing a book that to a human would have been quite hefty though in her massive hands it seemed to almost be a pocket book.

As the door swung open Dan looked up. It was quite hard for him to hide his surprise. “Liana? What are you doing here?”

“I brought the book you requested.” As she spoke Liana closed the door and walked over to the counter placing the book in front of Dan as she did.

“Why you though?”

“I've been transferred to the library!”

“Really? Well congratulations! How did that happen though?”

“Well as the group of claimed I looked over are all dead it freed me up for something. I thought I would just be assigned new claimed but instead I was told to report to the library. Actually, I wonder if you didn't have something to do with that.”

“Now what gives you that ideal?”

“It just seems kind of sudden.”

“Well Liana you weren't exactly subtle about the fact that you don't enjoy watching over the claimed and prefer a gentler assignment. You also have a soft touch that's needed for handling such materials.”

“Uhuh.” A slight giggle escaped Liana as she looked down at the book which Dan had began to thumb through. “So what are you reading?”

“A book.”

“Huh?”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “I'm sorry Liana that was me being a bastard. I'm working on an ideal I had to help detect magic users. There are a few things I need to look up though.”

“Oh. Can you tell me your ideal?”

“Sure. The standard method of detecting a magic user is to detect the higher concentration of mystic energy in and around them. However, this doesn't tend to work very well when the person learns to disperse or conceal such energies. I got to thinking recently though. Generally those that handle magic energy a great deal develop a sort of resistance or tolerance to it. I'm working on an ideal to detect them based on this.”

“It sounds interesting. Could you tell me more?”

In response Dan gave a nod. “Sure. Effectively I plan to discharge a very small amount of mystic energy into a person. If they are damaged by it I can assume that they're not a mage as they don't have the resistance one develops after years of channeling such energies through their body. If the energy fails to have an affect on them it's a sign that they have some experience with magic or an abnormally high resistance.”

“So it wouldn't tell you who the mage is for certain?”

“No but it should give me an ideal. What's best about this method though is it can be done quickly I believe. That way the mage can't intentionally lower their resistance and allow the magic to affect them. Now Liana I don't want you telling anyone about this though.”

“Yeah I can see why. If the mage caught wind of this he'd probably just keep his guard lowered all the time.”

In response Dan gave a quick nod. “That is true though. If I can figure out a way to use this method along with a more traditional method it may be nearly impossible for the mage to hide themselves. As while lowering their guard to let the energy affect them they're also going to have to let their own energies flow.”

“Really? It sounds like you got it figured out.”

A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “I wish. The problem is that by hitting the subject with the initial energy for the first test the secondary test could be thrown off. Unless I can think of a way around that little problem. Well I shouldn't be thinking of that now first I have to find out if the initial test can even be done.”

“Is there anything else you need then?”

“Nothing comes to mind at the moment. I'll probably need to get some more books for research later though. Then again, Liana have you studied up on the natural magic abilities of creatures?”

“It depends on the creature you're talking about I've actually studied a few of them though.”

In response Dan gave a nod. “Then perhaps you can help me. If you don't mind staying around that is.”

“I'm sure it'll be okay as long as I'm helping with something worth while. I'd say that what you're working on now is worth while especially if it works out.”

“Alright then.”

***********************************************************************************

Just what was Maria made of? Joseph set quietly watching some of Maria's blood mixed in with a healing potion before him. It had taken remarkable effort for him to get through her skin and to get the sample. Of course he'd realized that something meant to break human skin wouldn't be enough but it felt like he was trying to punch his way through plate armor before he finally got through. At the very least her skin seemed to rival leather armor.

He had his sample now though and found himself watching it. One thing that already surprised him was how completely the blood sample was stripping the potion of energy. Human blood would generally leave behind trace elements of mystic energy however Maria's was truly sucking it dry. He would have loved to study this trait in greater detail but he knew that he couldn't.

His goal was to find out if it would be safe for Maria to eat the life bloom or not. The simplest method of finding this out would have been to wait until the fruit was ready and give her some. However, that was also one of the most dangerous. These test were far safer.

“Joseph we need to talk.”

Despite thinking about Maria Joseph was a bit surprised whenever he heard her. He was also worried as he noticed the tone of her voice and quickly turned around. “What is it Maria?”

“Joseph I want to talk to you about these promises you've been having me make.”

It was clear to Joseph that he'd done something he shouldn't have done. Instinctively he began to think of ways to defend his actions but he kept the thoughts repressed. Jumping to conclusions was a bad thing especially in delicate matters. “I did something foolish didn't I?”

“I well. I'll let you be the judge of that but I want you to know how I feel. Do you understand?”

“I understand that I should listen right now.”

In response Maria gave a nod. “Joseph you probably noticed that my society puts a lot of value on trust. We're relatively few in number so that we have to. We look out for one another and take care of one another and we trust each other to do so. However, when you ask me to promise to tell no one regardless of what you're about to tell me you're asking me to betray that trust. You're wanting me to assure you that no matter what I'm about to learn even if it endangers all my sisters greatly I won't tell any of them. Do you realize what a betrayal of their trust that is each time I make such a promise?”

“I'm sorry Maria. When I asked you to make such promises I was thinking about how what I was about to say could harm others. I didn't stop to think that asking you to make such a promises had already brought harm.”

“I know you didn't. I should have explained it to you before I made the first promise after all you're not from here.”

“I won't ask you to take such an unfair oath again.”

“Thank you.”

“I'll make you a promise now. When it comes time for me to tell you something or ask you something that I fear the consequences of I'll trust you. Just as I trusted you to keep your word each time that I asked for it.”

For a moment Maria's lips parted into a wide smile. “I'm happy to hear that. Well then how are the test going?”

“They're going just fine. I didn't expect any complications to be honest though I wish I hadn't broken those syringes. I'm curious. Maria do your people have healers that specialize in healing your sisters?”

“Um well we have healers that are very good at helping us heal but they work on the brothers as well. It's just so rare for one of us to get injured to the point that we need a healer that it's kind of pointless to have someone only prepared to do that.”

“That makes sense. You know there is something I've been wanting to ask you personally that I just remembered. Maria I was told that you were once quite a good musician. Do you still play any instruments?”

“Ah well I wouldn't say that I was very good. I knew how to play a few things I haven't played in a long time though.”

“How come?”

“My speed sort of did me in. If I wanted to play instruments again first I would have to get my body to unlearn everything that it'd learned before hand. Then I'd have to teach myself all over again.”

“Why would you have to unlearn anything?”

“Well, have you ever gotten to the point where you could perform an action without thinking of it? Your body just knows what to do and how much force to use?”

“Ah I see the problem. When you suddenly increase your speed by more then four times that's a problem.”

“Exactly. I actually broke some of my old instruments whenever I last tried to play them.”

“That's a shame I would really like to hear you play. I bet it was nice.”

“Na it wasn't anything special.”

“Given that some people still remember you playing I have to disagree.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Maybe that actually means I was a very bad music player and that's why they remember me. They've just forgotten that the reason they remember was me being bad.”

“Now that I don't believe. Did you enjoy playing?”

In response Maria gave a nod. “It was kind of fun I just don't know if I have it in me to go through the learning process all over again.”

In response Joseph gave a nod. “I understand that said I still think it would be nice to hear you play.”

“Well what about you? I know that you're an alchemist Joseph but what other hobbies do you have?”

“I can't say that I do anything in particular. I tend to enjoy reading.”

“You must have been quite bored recently then. I mean what do you do whenever you're not working in your lab?”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “Well I've been rather busy lately working on the life bloom. Honestly by the time I've finished with that I don't really want to do any thinking so I just lay around or go for a walk. Going to the market to eat often proves to be an enjoyable experience as well even whenever I end up helping some of your sisters.”

“You know I just realized you haven't had to try on any outfits in a while. I wonder what's going to be waiting for you now that things are back to normal.”

“Um well I was kind of hoping they would have forgotten about me doing that or found someone else.”

“Ah I thought you enjoyed it.”

“Don't get me wrong it's not that I minded.”

“You just felt really strange doing it. Right?”

“Well yes.”

“Well in that case I shall refrain from reminding Nora and Flora. Anyway, you spent so long away from the market doing your work before this even began I imagine they've moved on and found someone else to help out.”

“That's a comforting thought.”

***********************************************************************************

Patience was an odd thing. Like most of her sisters Shiara could hardly stand having nothing to do. She always felt the urge to go out and stretch her legs or go on the hunt. She just had no tolerance for a lack of things to do. Yet as she had been watching Markus she had all the patience she needed. The mage and he had become her prey and she was only waiting for both of them to expose their heads before she struck.

“I have to say Alex I'm surprised. Your knowledge of the local plant life is far greater then I believed it would be.”

“Thank you Markus. When I came here I was with an expedition to try and retrieve some plants from the forest the ministry had deemed necessary.”

“Necessary for what?”

“The up coming war efforts. Naturally I wasn't pleased about it but previous groups had journeyed successfully into the forest and came back okay. Unfortunately our leader was a bit more bold or foolish then the other groups and took us further into the forest.”

“I see. So you have no training as a soldier?”

Unfortunately not but I have been striving to learn as much about this forest as I can.”

“Let me see your hands and arms.”

In response Alex rolled up his sleeves and exposed his hands. “So do you think that I am ready? If you believe so and take me I am quite certain I can repay you.”

“Just how do you intend do that?” As Alex spoke Markus began to look over Alex's hands. It was clear that he was from good breeding and had a fairly high social ranking. His hands didn't show the signs of years of labor or sword training.

“While it means nothing here outside of this cursed forest I do have allies. I'm sure they'd be willing to compensate you for my safe return. Assuming of course I am prepared for the journey.”

“Why do you include that last part?”

“You're a woodsman I take it one who's experienced in these forests. I assume the reason you wish to inspect me and question me is to gather whether I would be a hindrance or an aid in your leaving of this place. If I am a hindrance though I increase the odds of us dieing and I would much prefer to leave here alive then remain here dead.”

In response Markus gave a nod. “Well you're not the first person to offer to pay me to have you promoted and take you out of here. You are the first to ask whether or not you're ready.”

“I do plan on leaving here one day even if you don't take me now. I have been striving to prepare for that departure.”

“So tell me how do you feel about the work here?”

“It is not too my liking. I had hoped my knowledge of the local plant life and preparation methods would grant me an easier stay it has not though.”

“Preparation? You're an alchemist?”

“Unfortunately no, such knowledge was beyond my learning whenever I first came here. I am however skilled in making salves and some vitamins. I believe that these would be useful on our journey.”

“Do you know how to fight?”

“Unfortunately no.”

“So you can't even swing a sword properly or stab something with a javelin?”

In response Alex gave his head a slight shake. “One of my previous station never needed to learn such things and I have been becoming practiced in other things since my arrival here.”

“At least you're honest. Care to guess how many men here were the best soldier in their regiment?”

“I'd be willing to wager over half.”

***********************************************************************************

“So am I going to live?”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he turned to face Maria. “Well as far as I can tell you're going to. On top of that it looks like you'll be perfectly safe to test the life bloom for me.”

“Yay! So I passed all the test?”

In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Indeed you did even better then a human I might add. However, Maria I must remind you that even with testing something could go wrong.”

“Thanks for the concern but I'm confident I'll be just fine. It's not like a healing elixir has ever hurt me after all.”

“True but this isn't quite the same. Maria I hope you don't mind me asking but I've been wondering about the claimed.”

“What about them?”

“How are they doing?”

“Ah well are you sure you want to know?”

“Yes I would like to.”

For a moment Maria was silent as she took a moment to examine Joseph. He hadn't brought up the topic in a few days and she hoped that he had become content with his efforts to help them. That didn't seem to be the case. “Joseph it's too late for you to aid them. You were able to help them some though.”

“What?”

“Those that were working on the escapees including my mother and Mina announced a few days ago that they were broken and ready to return to service.”

“I see. Exactly what do you mean by broken though?”

“Normally it means that there will has been broken. They don't even try to resist or scream in the least whenever they're made to suffer. They've been reduced to quietly accepting whatever happens to them.”

“I thought you said I managed to help them some.”

In response Maria gave a nod. “They couldn't let up too much or the other sisters wouldn't be content especially those that want them dead. However, thanks to your efforts it didn't go quite as far as it normally would have. This wasn't to show the escapees mercy though.”

“What was it?”

“It was your effort of course. You pushed hard and worked to try and help them and while you didn't bring forth any concrete results you made your feelings known and were able to provide some ideals worth exploring. We can respect that you worked towards your goal and it was enough to convince them to lighten up.”

“So if they're not entirely broken what are they?”

“I suppose the best word for it would be afraid. Most of the claimed we bring in are scared so scared they'll do anything we asks. After a while though they begin to become less afraid as they learn about us. They realize that we're not going to eat one of them purely for our amusement. The escapees were brought back to that original state of fear.”

“I see. Do you think that fear will fade?”

In response Maria gave a shrug. “I believe so though perhaps not entirely. I'm quite certain they'll return to how they were before the escape attempt in a few years.”

“As you held back I take it they're being watched more carefully now despite the fear.”

In response Maria gave a very quick nod. “Indeed they are and if they do something to defy us any time soon they're going to be permanently broken.”

“That is assuming that they can be.”

“Well it isn't unheard of. I swear such people are strange and kind of hard to deal with though. It's hard not to admire someone with a truly unbreakable will at the same time though we have to do our best to insure they never behave in such a way again. At times it's hard to tell whenever you only bent someone to an extreme and when they've been broken.”

“At least I was able to help them a bit. Maria, will the mage be held responsible for what happened to those men?”

“Ah well kind of. They'll be held responsible in the same way a leader of an army would be held responsible for his troops actions.”

“I see. I take it your sisters plan on killing the mage.”

“Oh there is no doubt about that one. Even if they had come forward in the beginning they would have died for it. I'd say the best thing the mage could do at this point is kill himself though that would be upsetting.”

“I take it you want to do it.”

“Just about every last one of us does and none of us intends on making it quick or painless. Trying to escape is one thing but the methods they used are entirely unacceptable.”

“Do you mean methods that might have worked?”

“Joseph that's mean! Do you really think that poorly of me and my sisters?”

“No but part of me worried that you would say yes. So tell me Maria what would have been okay?”

“Hm well. The spell they used to hide their scent was frustrating but nothing that would bring on a greater punishment. The crystals on the other hand hurt a great deal but honestly I don't think I would have tried to break them for using the crystals. I'd want to make them experience the pain we did but not permanently break their will. The truly notable mistake that was made was trying to take hostages.”

“I see. So if someone was to hide some food and a way to mask their scent and wonder off into the forest what would happen?”

“Hm well assuming that we noticed the escape before something else found him we'd send a few people in search of the escapee. Not really a massive manhunt to be honest though. After a few days of searching we'd give up on the active hunt and just see if one of us stumbled across him in the forest. If he wasn't found we'd either accept that he'd escaped or died.”

“Okay now what if you found them?”

“Ah well the escape was a none violent in that situation so I doubt he'd have to endure much. His keeper would keep a particularly close eye on. Most likely the group he works with would be informed that if someone else escaped the wrest of the group was going to have to pick up their slack while they were gone. He'd most likely lose any trust that his keeper might have put in him before hand as well. I suppose a light beating would be in order as well.”

“That's it?”

“Well it's really up to the keeper. It wouldn't be too surprising if he had to spend an extra two or three hours on work detail. Taking away free time and making them spend it working is a common enough punishment for the claimed.”

“So when does extreme physical pain become involved?”

“Generally that becomes involved whenever something is stolen or damaged. That or if the escape is a violent one. Of course part of the punishment depends on how good of a record they have before hand.”

“Okay let's say someone that only worked whenever they were forced to do so and did the bare minimum used such a none violent method.”

“Oh well. That changes things a bit. It wouldn't surprise me too much if the tracker or keeper decided that he wasn't worth the effort and just killed him.”

“And if they're generally regarded as a hard worker?”

“Well I already explained what would happen in that situation. Now one thing they might lose that is truly significant is the right to study. As I mentioned to you a while back a claimed is allowed to study certain things so that he can work in that area later.”

“Yes I recall that. So even a hard working claimed that tried to escape in a none violent way might lose the right to study further?”

“Yeah at least for a while. That's really up to his keeper though.”

“Maria in some regions peasants are regarded with little more respect then slaves. Some would say with even less respect then you show the claimed. A peasant works the land for his or her lord and is bound to it for life. They're not permitted schooling as an act of mercy. How does that make you feel?”

“We already know that you humans can be crueler to one another then we are to you. Still it is rather strange that one would treat hard working labor so poorly and with so little regard.”

“I have a questions for you then. Let's say that somehow someone learned of how you treated the claimed. Now they're an impoverished people who go from day to day wondering if they'll have enough to eat tomorrow so that servitude to you would be better then servitude to their rulers. What would you do if they came to you begging to become your servants or one of the claimed in other words.”

As Maria listened to Joseph she actually found herself considering his question. It was an odd one that was for certain. “I'm not really sure what to say or what we would do. On the one hand it's nice whenever the claimed enjoy their work or at least don't hate it so they work harder and we sure don't enjoy being cruel to one of the claimed that's a hard worker. That said we don't exactly have infinite resources to take them in either.”

“If you're not sure at least take a guess.”

“I suppose we could see how many more claimed we need and take them in. They would have to understand though that they're relinquishing their lives to us.”

“What if they told you that giving their lives to you is better then having them owned by a tyrant that cares nothing for them?”

“I well. They'd have to understand that if they don't work they're not going to eat. We also expect them to follow our rules and. Damn I would hate to tell someone who was willingly giving themselves up all of this. Honestly I find it hard to take someone as one of the claimed if they don't try to attack someone or take from the forest first.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he noted the expression on her face. She seemed truly conflicted. “I guess it's a hard choice. What if they were more people then you needed?”

“I guess well. We could always cast out some of the claimed that don't want to be here. Yeah I believe that would be the best. Tell those that want to leave that they can go now and let them depart into the forest.”

“I hope you realize I'm going to have to push you even more now.”

“You mean what if they were even more people? I don't believe that would happen.”

“Still, let's continue.”

“Ah well. Joseph I suppose maybe we could work out some form of deal. We could only take in so many though and eventually would have to just tell them no.”

“Okay Maria, now let's say that you'd reached the point where you truly couldn't take in anymore people. You can't work out any deals and yet more come. What would you do?”

A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “We'd tell them that they have to leave or that they're going to die here.”

“What if they only had death waiting for them if they returned to their home land?”

“We could maybe let them travel through the forest from one end to the other and try to seek out a new home on the other side. We couldn't do that for free though it would have to cost them. If they refused that offer though or couldn't pay we would kill them.”

“I see. Would you agree with this philosophy?”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yes I do. You can only do so much to help others before you start thinking of your family and yourself.”

“Thank you Maria for being honest with me.”

“Welcome! Joseph I want you to decide to stay here with us even after you achieve rank five. However, I'm not going to hold back when it comes to the truth. You need to understand what you're joining.”

“I appreciate your honesty Maria. I'm kind of relieved that you'd even consider such a situation. The fact that you believe your sisters would even free some of the claimed to allow others to take their spot is rather surprising.”

“Well there is no reason to force someone to do the job whenever there is someone that wants the job. Honestly if we didn't need the services the claimed provide we wouldn't even bother taking them.”

***********************************************************************************

“What's the matter Dan?” As Mina spoke she placed her right hand atop Dan's forehead engulfing the majority of it in her grasp as she did so. She then pulled upward ever so slightly so that Dan lifted his face out from between her massive breasts.

As Mina raised him up Dan turned his head to the side and gave her right breasts a gentle kiss before looking towards her face. He could see the concern in her eyes despite the kiss though. “Nothing much I've just been thinking of the detection method I'm working on.”

“Does it have you worried?”

“It's not the method that has me worried. I just can't shake the feeling that I should be working on it right now.”

A sigh escaped Mina as she pressed down on Dan's head forcing it back down between her breasts as she did so. “Now Dan I don't want to hear you talking like that. It's late and you need to sleep. You'll be able to think much more clearly with a good nights sleep. Then again.” Before continuing Mina reached down with her free hand and brushed her fingers against Dan's rear. “Perhaps you just have too much energy and I should help you release it.”

Only after Mina had finished speaking did she relax her grip on his head enough for Dan to raise up. As he did so he took in a deep breath of air. “Mina I don't think I could perform right now even if I drank a case of stamina potions. You're really hard to keep up with.”

It was impossible for Mina not to grin as she listened to Dan. Before speaking she quickly flexed her chest muscles causing her breasts to come in on either side of Dan's head and lightly squeeze it. “I don't know I bet I could get you up again.”

Dan gave a slight yelp as he felt Mina's hand slipping down between his legs and her fingers lightly brushing against his balls. “Well I wouldn't exactly mind you trying. I really will need a potion though if you want to.”

“Mm well while that might help with your body I'm not sure if I want you to thinking about work while we're coupling. Now if you think you can force those thoughts from your head. I got another round in me or three maybe more.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “Mina I'd need a stamina potion just to make it through one more round. I don't believe I have a second in me let alone a third or more.”

“Are you sure?” As she spoke Mina took hold of Dan's sides and lifted him up slightly. She then proceeded to slide him along her body until his face was level with hers and pressed her much larger lips against his engulfing a good portion of his face. “I believe we should try.”

***********************************************************************************

Mina was amazingly gentle for her massive size and strength. It would only take one careless moment on her part to end his life and Dan realized that. So he was often impressed and even amazed by how gentle she could be. That didn't change the fact that he was very sore at the moment. So sore that he found himself preparing a potion to numb the pain.

“Dan what happened to you?” As Joseph had entered the alchemy shop he'd thought it odd that Dan hadn't greeted him. He was quite surprised when he finally noticed Dan looking like he hadn't slept for the past three days.

“Huh? Oh hey Joseph just give me a second to get this ready and I'll be right with you.” A groan escaped Dan as he leaned against the table for support. “Mina decided to help me take my mind of work last night.”

“Mina did that to you?”

“It's not as bad as it looks.” A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “Mm I should probably start drinking a potion of stone skin before coupling with her.”

At first Joseph said nothing as he continued to inspect Dan. For a few moments he wasn't certain whether or not Dan was being serious but considering that Mina was over five hundred kilograms of muscle and exceptionally strong muscle at that it didn't seem too surprising when he thought about it. “So did she do all of that at once?”

“No! Oh heck no.” Even as he was speaking Dan quickly shook his head. “No. No. Mina's far too gentle to do this in just one round of loving making. Apparently though I gave her a sort of challenge last night.”

“How? Or do you mind me asking?”

“Not really. After coping with the fact that every last one of her sisters within several hundred meters could hear and then later smell what we'd been doing talking about it got pretty easy. I told Mina that I only hand at most one round in me. She took that as a personal challenge to get even more out of me.”

“So that's why you look like a rag doll that's had the stuffing shaken out of it.”

“I feel like one to. Mm well I knew there would be consequences when I started sipping those stamina potions.” As he spoke Dan removed the potion from the beaker and began to empty it into a cool flask. “Fortunately I just need to let this cool and I'll be feeling just fine. So what brings you here?”

“I'm meeting Maria here for breakfast but I over estimated how long the walk would take me.”

“You're getting used to it then. That's good to know.” As he spoke Dan gave the glass with the potion in it a few quick taps. Each time he pulled his finger back quickly noting the heat. “Come on and cool. I don't want to burn my tongue off.”

“So Dan what are you going to do when tonight rolls around and Mina wants another go?”

“Hope she has mercy on a poor man.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “You said your mind was on your work. What are you working on?”

“A new method to detect mages that instead of relying on energy coming from them makes use of their response to energy.”

“You mean like a fire gate?”

In response Dan gave a nod. “Yeah except this method shouldn't turn you to ash whenever you fail.”

“Hm well it's certainly worth a try. Do you believe you can develop a method in time though? I don't mean any offense but I doubt you're the first to try such a concept.”

“I believe so. I believe I mentioned that the girls have a library that they protect. Didn't I?”

“I heard it mentioned before.”

“Well you can trust me whenever I say their collection is quite extensive.”

“Hm. Just how did that come to be?”

“Well as you probably noticed most males here are magic users or use magic in a way. Even you and I make use of it though we're not exactly mages. Most of them took the time to research, study and write down their findings. That isn't the only way they extended their collection though. The girls tend to keep magic tomes and scrolls they retrieve from mages they either kill or claim for research.”

“I see and just how long have they been doing this?”

“As far as I know from the time of their first leader.”

For a moment Joseph was silent as he considered what Dan had told him. He knew the forest had been there longer then any of the surrounding kingdoms though he didn't know at what time this single leader existed. However, he was certain that it would have at least been one hundred years ago and that was plenty of time to build up an impressive collection. “They could indeed have quite a few secrets hidden in that library. I just hope they're being careful. Using the magic text of another can be quite dangerous after all.”

“I've worked with a few of them on opening up such text actually. Believe me they're plenty careful to not destroy the book and to insure that none of them are injured as well. They kind of have to be.”

“I take it there is more to them being careful then them not wanting injured or killed.”

“Yeah there is actually. Joseph if I were to come home injured one of the first things I would have to do is explain to Mina how I had gotten injured. If she felt I had taken some foolish risks she could take steps to insure I didn't take them again. This could range from changing the procedures I have to use to breaking my fingers to keep me from taking the risks again. Now the breaking my fingers is unlikely but I know she'd rather break my bones then see me killed.”

“Does that apply to everyone?”

“Indeed it does. To some extent you're more free then the wrest of us. You can use whatever method you want regardless of how dangerous it is and the girls can't actually force you to change your ways. I'm sure Maria would try to talk you into changing your methods but she couldn't resort to physical force. Of course, it's also nice to know Mina cares enough.”

“Dan what would happen if one of the brothers accused a sister of injuring him without cause? As if she'd simply used protecting him as an excuse to injure him.”

“That would be investigated very carefully Joseph. I mean very carefully from every side. If it was found that he had lied he would lose quite a bit of his position could be put under forced supervision, physically punished and possibly even killed for such a deception. Of course the sister supervising him after such a stunt wouldn't be the one that injured him rather one of the more trusted ones would watch him. If it was found that the reason she'd injured him wasn't protection she could be in deep trouble as well. The punishment could range from a beating, to forced service, to regression of her body to death.”

“What would cause it to deserve death?”

“If the sister only injured him for cruelties sake. A sister that has come to enjoy the suffering of her brothers just to see them suffer isn't desired. Especially considering how easy it would be for one of them to kill one of us. So they would most likely just do away with the danger. The same applies to the brother in a sense. If he's willing to lie about such a thing knowing that she could be killed for such an act he's clearly not trust worthy and thus of no use.”

“So Dan has Mina ever punished you for using unsafe methods?”

“Finally!” A sigh escaped Dan as he picked up the flask with the potion in it and quickly downed the contents. It would take a few minutes for it to take affect but at least it would take care of his pain. As he finished draining the flasks he lowered it and took in a deep breath. “Well she's never had to get physical with me but she has threatened to spank me until I can't set down.”

“There you are!”

As Maria's voice reached his ears Joseph was made to jump slightly. He was a bit surprised whenever he wasn't able to turn around. Rather he felt powerful arms wrap around him from behind and easily lift him into the air. He felt two soft mounds pressing into his back as he was held in a rather awkward though not unpleasant hug. “Good morning to you Maria.”

“Morning Joseph.”

“Well Dan maybe we can finish this conversation later. For now I think Maria and I are going to go eat.”