- Text Size +

The music reverberated throughout the big apartment with hardwood floors. The gigantic sisters were all barefoot now, all dancing in the living room with solo cups, in either dresses or shorts, all except Spencer, who remained in her trademark yoga pants. And in the walk-in kitchen, hiding beneath a cabinet amongst cookie crumbs and dust bunnies the size of beach balls, Jessie Townsend stood shivering in her white bikini, looking out over the pure white linoleum floor, a sea of gloss stretching for at least a mile to the hardwood foyer. 
     Jessie had grown up in Fort Mill, a mid-sized city in South Carolina. Raised in a traditional Christian family, the quarter-inch girl had dreams of moving to a big city, despite the objections from her parents. She’d been warned of the dangers, but believed in the good. But now, here she was, wondering if she’d be stamped out by the end of the night, the last thing in her memory being scooped up by one of the sisters and separated from the rest of the pledges, music now thumping through her ears as the mighty footfalls of the colossal women shook the floor.
     No. This wasn’t right. She wasn’t going to die tonight.
     They wouldn’t be so heartless.
     She thought of Katie Jordan, and her pleas for mercy before being squished beneath the fingertip of a giantess Guido, whose only contribution to the world would be keeping the university tanning salon in business. How could they do that to her?
     But then, she fooled herself into a thought that would ultimately lead to her downfall: it wasn’t they, it was she. Caitie killed her. Not the others. There had to be one, one, with a heart.
     And she knew just which one it was. The one who, during interviews, seemed the most uncomfortable with the very idea of being in the sorority to begin with.
     Kaylee. The sophomore with braces and pigtails. Sweet and innocent and shy.
     She’d be the savior.
     Upon the realization that she’d lost track of how long it’d been since she last moved, Jessie broke off in a full sprint across the kitchen floor, toward the foyer, to find Kaylee.
     With a newfound strength, the southern sweetheart with long brown hair and a mild tooth gap took off across the kitchen floor as fast as her legs could carry her. From above, she was but a black speck moving sluggishly across the void of white, an ant crossing a desert. When she finally reached the hardwood, she leaned over and panted, her feet hurting, her legs burning. To her left, she could see the towering goddesses, impossibly huge, and feel the vibrations from each of their massive steps make their way through the floor.
     And then, she heard another sound.
     A sound that chilled her to the bone.
     The loud, sharp clicking of a lock as a door to the right opened, and right outside loomed Lucie Song, a beautiful Asian woman of 22 with auburn hair tied back in a tight ponytail, a blue dress and black high heels. Her wide eyes looked guilty as the other goddesses turned to her. “Sorry I’m late!” she said with a smile before closing the door, kicking off her football field-sized shoes, and stepping over the cringing Jessie below. The sole of Lucie’s beautiful, colossal foot, pink all around with tanned edges, swooped over the shrunken pledge as casually as one would step over an unnoticed speck of dust. As Lucie’s heel came smashing down to the hardwood but inches from Jessie, the micro girl fell back in the gust of wind and watched as the titaness stomped away to join the others.
     Jessie, meanwhile, lay on the floor, unable to shake the image of the bottom of Lucie’s foot as it momentarily loomed over her. She couldn’t believe it; a woman no taller than five-foot-four had the power to smush Jessie out of existence, and she may not have even noticed.
     “Ah, there you are!” came another voice.
     Jessie felt a wave of absolute terror as she turned to see…none other than Kaylee, the youngest sorority sister, as she stood on her haunches in the hallway, staring down at the tiny creature before her. Jessie couldn’t move, paralyzed with fear.
     “It’s okay!” Kaylee whispered. “I’m not going to hurt you!”
     Success. Like the Earth had been lifted from the shoulders of Atlas, Jessie had never felt more relieved in her life. She’d been right. Kaylee had a heart.
     “I’m going to pick you up, don’t freak out, okay?”
     Jessie nodded as Kaylee carefully leaned forward and grasped the micro girl between her thumb and forefinger. Jessie was buried in the flesh of Kaylee’s fingertips; she felt as if she’d been wedged between two hot air balloons. She barely noticed the sensation of being lifted off the ground, the world becoming a blur. She could feel footsteps, could hear muffled music, she could barely breathe, but alas felt totally safe.
     Until, she felt the world give out from beneath her.
     Kaylee opened her fingers, and Jessie felt the world drop. Air rushed up past her as her hair fluttered in the wind. And then, she felt cold…and wet.

The music nearly stopped as all eyes in the room turned to Caitie the Jersey girl as she stood with her cup of beer amongst her sisters. Seconds earlier, Kaylee had walked by and playfully dropped something in it. Now, as Caitie looked down into her cup, she realized: she got the prize.
     “You know what this means!” Kaylee said with her hands on her hips, the words slicing through Jessie’s heart at the realization of her savior’s betrayal.
     And then, all the girls shouted in unison: “Chug!”
     Caitie smiled at the little speck in her beer, no bigger than an ant, swimming to the edge of the cup, obviously confused and heartbroken. Then, she raised the edge of the cup to her lips and tilted back…
     Jessie struggled against the raging rapid of amber liquid, swimming with all her might against the current. Behind her, the gaping maw of Caitie’s mouth stretched the width an arena, pitch black within, her teeth hanging like massive stalactites. Within seconds, she simply couldn’t fight anymore, feeling all her strength leave her as she was sucked into the cave.
     Caitie pulled the cup away from her lips and closed her mouth. She swished the beer around inside as her sisters looked on with glee. Inside, Jessie was going through hell, unable to breathe, unable to think.
     Now was time for the fun part.
     Caitie slowly started swallowing the beer, feeling for the little girl trapped inside. In the darkness, Jessie felt something squishy at her feet—realizing with horror that it was her captor’s tongue—before she was finally sucked back into the abyss.
     To Caitie, it was like swallowing a grain of rice. She let out a smile as soon as she felt Jessie slink to the back of her throat, then swallowed with an audible gulp. Inside, Jessie was in a borderline freefall, until finally she felt gravity push her into the pits of Caitie’s stomach, and landed in a shallow pool of acid that was already burning. It was pitch black inside. Jessie felt itchy all over. Then a pain, a burning so intense that her only wish was not for escape, but that she would pass out as soon as possible.

A few minutes later, as Caitie sat on the couch with her legs crossed, talking to another one of her sisters, she felt a slight tingle in her stomach as the scoreboard buzzed, a red light flashing next to Jessie Townsend’s name. And she smiled, taking satisfaction in the fact that Jessie, a girl from a small town with big dreams, all she ever was or ever would be, was now nothing but liquefied mush she’d shit out tomorrow and flush away forever.