- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lana, a would-be cat burglar, breaks into a high-tech research facility, hoping to find something valuable. But when she spills an experimental growth formula on herself, she gets a bit more than she bargained for...

 

***

 

 

It was a bright, sunny day in New York City. ‘A good day,’ thought Lana, ‘to be a thief.’ She stood on a street corner, casually smoking a cigarette as she scoped out the location of her next heist. She read the sign on the bland boxy-looking building: ‘The Von Braugn Research Institute.’

 

Lana didn’t know what kind of research they did there, nor did she care. One look at the facility told her everything she needed to know. The building itself didn’t look like much, but Lana had never seen a place with so much security. The place was practically Fort Knox. Tall barbed-wire fences surrounded the building, with dozens dozens of security cameras and motion detectors covering every conceivable angle. Security guards patrolled the perimeter of the building, and were stationed at every corner. That kind of security meant there was something valuable there; something worth stealing. They may as well have put up a neon sign exclaiming, “Expensive Stuff Inside!” As for what those valuables would be, and how she would get them out of there… well, for Lana, figuring that out was half the fun.

 

She thought about coming back that night. There was a narrow gap between two of the barbed-wire fences; she was slender enough that she could just barely slip between them. But with all the security, there was no way she could get into the building unseen. And besides, Lana didn’t feel like waiting until nightfall; patience, after all, was one of the many virtues that she didn’t have. So she went to plan B: hiding in plain sight.

 

Lana casually walked around the perimeter of the building. Security guards walked past her, and didn’t give her a second glance; after all, she was no one’s idea of a criminal. Lana was thin and blonde and beautiful, and barely nineteen years old. She was wearing a pair of gucci sunglasses and the nicest designer clothes that she could steal.

 

Not that Lana had to steal anything. Her parents had left her with a generous trust fund, which they had expected her to use for tuition at CUNY. But Lana never was much for books. After all, why waste money on books when you could use it to buy sports cars, or jewelry, or a nice condo? School was something that you did so you could get an honest job, and honest jobs had never been something that interested Lana.

 

Ever since she watched the original Ocean’s 11 as a child, the 1960’s Rat Pack version, Lana had a different kind of education in mind. When other kids were doing homework in middle school, she was sneaking into her teacher's house and stealing the answer key. Then, she started stealing clothes and accessories from department store. She loved the thrill of theft, and the instant gratification that came along with it. But she wanted more. She moved onto jewelry stores and high-fashion boutiques, flirting with the cashiers before she walked out with a $500 ring or a $1000 dress. By freshman year she was leading on half the boys in school--specifically, the richer half. She would make them feel that they might just have a chance with her, if they just bought her one more diamond ring, or gold necklace. And whenever her parents took her to a party at some rich acquaintances’ house, she’d leave to go to the bathroom, and come back with a few more pieces of jewelry. Then she moved out on her own, to the big city, and her education really started. Today, she thought, would be a practical exam.

 

Lana walked up to the front entrance. There were two security guards standing by either side of the double doors, and some kind of card scanner in the middle. Almost instantly, she had things figured out. She would pretend to be a new employee, pretend that she had lost her keycard, and the guards would let her right in. The security guards looked at her; she gave them a quick, polite smile, then looked away. The one on the right looked like a hard-ass. She knew his type, and didn’t expect him to budge. The one on the left, though, looked like a decent guy. In other words, someone she could take advantage of. Lana walked up to the card scanner, and reached into her Louis Vutton handbag, faking a look of confusion as she rummaged around. “No, no, no,” she muttered to herself with faux distress.

 

The guard on the left gave her a sympathetic look. “Is something wrong?” the guard asked.

 

Yes, she thought, he was buying it. “I’m sorry, it’s just that… I forgot my keycard.”

 

The guard on the right gave her a more skeptical look. “I’m afraid that I can’t let you in without a keycard.”

 

Lana did her best to look and sound like she was on the verge of tears. “But I… I…I just started here last week, and…”

 

“That’s too bad, but rules are rules. If you don’t have your keycard, you’ll have to leave. You can come back when you have it.”

 

She made doe eyes at the guard on the left, and bit her lip as hard as she could, until a single tear ran down her eye. Then, turning slowly, she walked away.

 

“Hey. Stop.” She looked back, and saw that it was the guard on the left talking to her. “My co-worker just started working here, and he’s a bit of a stickler. I knew your face looked familiar. You can come in without your key-card, just this once. Just… try to remember it next time, okay?”

 

“Of course. Thanks, you won’t regret it,” Lana said, smiling at the guard. He would regret it, she thought, after they realized that she had stolen tens of thousands of dollars worth of valuables, and the guard had been fired for having let her in. The thought amused her: it wasn’t the first time someone had lost a job over her, and it wouldn’t be the last. She liked the feeling of power it gave her, knowing that she could ruin someone’s life, just like that. With a smile. The guard raised his key card up to the panel, and let her in. She walked through the doors and into the facility.

 

***

 

The inside of the facility looked like something out of a science fiction movie. Everything was sleek and stark white. She strode confidently around the wide hallways, walking past busy-looking scientists and keeping her eyes open for something, anything that was valuable. And then she found it.

 

There it was: a door that was built like a bank vault. Hundreds of lasers were criss-crossed around the door; a dust mite couldn’t slip through them without setting off an alarm. Even if she could somehow get past the lasers, it would take C4 to break down a door like that, and Lana was no demolitions expert. But just as she was going to turn away, and look for something easier to steal, she heard a beeping noise. The lasers turned off, and the heavy metal door swung open. A young woman walked out through the door, wearing glasses and a lab coat. Lana waited until the scientist had passed her, before making her way towards the door. Just before the door swung shut, she slipped into the room.

 

The room was curiously empty. There were a handful of expensive-looking electronic devices, all of which were too big for Lana to walk out with, but aside from that she saw little to justify that kind of security. Little, that is, until she noticed a small glass case in the corner of the room. The case held but one thing: a single bottle of a blue liquid, sitting on a small pedestal. Whatever was in there, she had to have it. She examined the glass. It was reinforced, maybe bulletproof. A sturdy-looking lock held the case shut. It would be all but impossible to open… if, thought Lana, it wasn’t unlocked. Smiling to herself, Lana opened the case.

 

Lana heard a voice from behind her.

 

“What are you doing in here? The only people who are authorized to be in here right now are me and Dr. Bronner, and you don’t look like a forty-year old German man to me.”

 

Looking back, she saw it was the woman in the lab coat. Lana had been so focused on the glass case that she didn’t even notice the door open. Now the woman had seen her. It was too late to sneak out. It was time to snatch and run. Lana reached into the glass case and grabbed the bottle. It felt cold in her hands.

 

“Stop! That pedestal is pressure sensitive. If the bottle is removed for more than a few seconds, the security system will trigger, and you’ll be--” she paused, as the metal door slammed shut behind them-- “locked in.”

 

Lana scanned the room, looking for another way out, but she found none. She paused, and looked at the woman in the lab coat. She was in her early 20s, brunette, and cute, in a nerdy, introverted sort of way. Her long brown hair was tied back, and her loose-fitting lab coat concealed an hourglass figure. She would have been beautiful, if not for the annoyed scowl on her face. Something about her demeanor told Lana that she wasn’t a professional scientist: she must have still been an intern.

 

“The glass case is temperature-controlled. You need to put that bottle back, right away.” The intern was trying to sound tough, and failing.

 

“Yeah? Or else what?”

 

“Or else that bottle will explode, because if the chemical inside reaches a temperature above 58 degrees it becomes highly--”

Boom! The jar exploded. Blue liquid sprayed all over Lana, and much to her dismay, all over her $2000 dress. She was covered in thick blue liquid.

 

“...Unstable,” said the intern, with a defeated look on her face. The intern looked down, noticing that a drop of the bright blue liquid had landed on her chest.

 

“Oh God,” said Lana, “my dress…”

“Oh God,” said the intern, “it’s on me! The serum… I can’t believe you did this! I was told under no circumstances to get it on my skin. Well, I guess we’re in this together…”

 

“Shit, what is this stuff? What does it do?”

 

“It’s an experimental bovine growth serum . It’s supposed to enhance the growth of juvenile cows, but the project is still in an experimental phase. That vial contained a brand new version of the formula. It’s supposed to be more powerful than the previous versions, much more powerful, and it’s completely untested. We need to get it off of us right away before it seeps into our skin...”

 

The intern frantically tried to wipe the liquid off her chest, but it was too late. The drop of blue liquid quavered for a moment, before being instantly absorbed into her chest. “That’s not good…”

 

Lana felt a deep tingling sensation run through her body as the liquid seeped into her skin. For a moment, it felt as if she was losing control of herself, as if the powerful feeling was taking her over. But after a brief moment, she regained her composure.

 

“So what kind of growth… exactly… does this stuff cause?”

 

“All kinds. All the executives wanted was something that would make cows reach maturity faster, but Dr. Bronner was more ambitious than that. He wanted to breed a race of super cows. The last batch was been pretty remarkable; the cows grew at an extraordinary rate. Some of them are nearly as big as elephants. He also wanted to increase milk production, so he added some hormones that caused their mammary glands to grow… Speaking of which...”

 

The intern tore open the front of her blouse. Lana quickly realized why. The intern’s breasts were growing, and quickly. The intern’s small, perky breasts had already grown to a full C-cup, and they were rapidly getting bigger. A shocked expression appeared on her face as her breasts expanded, becoming fuller and heavier. Her breasts poured over her bra, which was now far too small for her still-growing breasts. The straps of her bra stretched tighter and tighter, until they could stretch no more. One thread after another broke, until the intern’s bra tore in half with a loud snap. Blushing, she wrapped her arms around her chest in an attempt to cover herself, but her thin arms could scarcely cover much of her enormous breasts.

 

“Well,” said Lana, “that’s one way to save money on breast implants.”

 

“This isn’t funny, you idiot! You have no idea what this stuff can do!”

 

“From what you’ve told me, my boobs might get a bit bigger, and I might get a little taller. That doesn’t sound half bad to me. In fact… I think I feel a bit of a growth spurt… coming on…”

 

Lana felt her clothes growing tighter. She could feel her breasts swelling, and it felt amazing. Lana had always having small breasts, it was the one thing she hated about her body. She’d thought about getting implants, but these… these were better than implants. Lana felt her breasts expanding on the inside of her blouse. “A-cup bras aren’t made for tits like these,” said Lana. Her bra grew tighter until it felt like it was just about to snap. And then, in an instant, it did. Lana smiled at the intern, who looked back at her with a bashful glance. Lana looked down at her breasts, which had stopped growing, for a time. They were beautiful, she thought; big, but not enormous. Lana wasn’t sure exactly how big a D-cup was--after all, she’d never had to go that far down the alphabet at Victoria’s Secret before--but she imagined they were somewhere in that range.

 

“My tits! They’re wonderful. I should really take experimental cow drugs more often. This feels… good. Really good.”

 

Lana felt the rest of her clothes growing tighter. Her muscles grew tight, in a sensation that was alternately painful and euphoric. It felt as if her very being was expanding, the sinew and bone and muscle that made up her form growing to new heights. She felt her clothes rip, little by little, as her body expanded. She felt her $1200 blouse tear at the seams, her $2500 necklace split in half, her $800 designer jeans ripping into shreds, and she didn’t care. She felt herself growing, higher than before. She had only grown a few inches, but what a difference a few inches could make. The intern looked at her, stunned at Lana’s new size. Before the intern had been taller than Lana, but now she looked short. But Lana wasn’t done growing, not by a long shot.

 

Lana felt herself growing faster than before. She felt powerful, beautiful. Incredible. A jolt of energy shot through her. As the sensations overtook her, Lana closed her eyes for a moment, and imagined herself growing to enormous heights. Taller than buildings, higher than the clouds. She imagined herself gazing down upon cities that were too insignificant for her to contemplate, striding over civilizations that were like ants beneath her feet.

She opened her eyes, and found that she was still growing. The intern was now looking up at her in awe, her mouth agape. Lana’s breasts had grown to a size that was almost too big to believe, her waistline was vanishingly thin, and her legs were long and lithe. She felt like she could take on the world. And then, as suddenly as it had started, the growth stopped. Lana looked down at herself, and smiled. She’d always wanted to be tall, and now she was.

 

Lana stepped forward, her clothes hanging off her in tatters. She towered over the intern, who craned her neck to look up at Lana’s face. “Well,” said Lana, “I think this experiment was a success."

 

"How do you feel?” the intern asked.

 

"I feel... incredible," replied Lana. "I've never felt like this before... and now I've got a whole world to conquer."

 

Lana stepped out into the world, her eyes alight with excitement and anticipation. She was taller than any building, higher than any mountain. Nothing would stand in her way.