- Text Size +

The small fly considered his options for the future. What should his wish be, and more importantly, how could he be sure it wasn’t going to turn around and bite him in the ass like the last one did?

            His pondering was soon interrupted as the door to the locker room squeaked open, signaling a new class coming in to change. The fly briefly debated the idea of staying there and watching another peep show, but decided against it. He had been creepy enough for one day.

            He flew over the girl’s heads, exiting the changing room and flying into the wide-open gym. The distant smell of sweat hung in the air. Not completely overpowering, but the type of stench that grew really old, really quickly. Nick never understood how the gym teachers could spend a full day in it.

            He noticed an open window near the top of the room. Thinking this was probably the best option, he flew to it. Delicately he landed on the windowsill, a cool breeze passing over his small body.

            The day had grown rather pleasant. Surprising given the fact that there was still piles of snow outside from the day before. The skies where clear, the sun hanging high above the school at its normal 10:30 position. He could hear birds chirping some where in the distance, and a lone hawk even patrolled around the forest to his left.

            “Interesting,” Nick thought out loud. “There’s usually not so much life in the winter.”

            He noticed a group of crows below him, scavenging around for some form of food. The thought reminded him that he hadn’t had a good meal since yesterday. Well, unless you counted the pile of syrup, but Nick didn’t.

            He thought briefly about going to the lunchroom, but quickly decided against it. The only food he would be able to find would be on the plates of hungry teenagers. Everyone knows not to get between a teenager and his food.

            “Besides,” he thought out loud to himself. “Lunch foods horrible anyway.”

            With the grace of a newborn giraffe, he jumped down from his high perch and attempted to glide down to the ground. To the untrained eye, this would have appeared more like an attempt to attack the ground with his face, but no one cares enough about a fly to judge.

            He nose dived into a thick patch of snow, thankfully breaking his fall more than his face did. He shook bits of snow off as he pulled himself out of the pile, grumbling angrily to himself.

            “Stupid gravity,” he said, among other, less PG things. 

            But he froze his movements as an icy screech filled his ears. A shadow fell over him. The wind blew, sending clouds of snow rolling past the tiny fly.

            Slowly he turned around, knowing what must be behind him.

            “Hy,” he said meekly to the giant, black raven. It didn’t answer back. The raven had a strong policy against talking to its food.

            It launched its beak forward, attempting to grab the tiny fly between its monstrous jaws, but Nick was just able to avoid it.

            “Wait!” he shouted, as if it could do him any good.

            Again the bird tried to bite him, but once again missing, its bill burring deep into the snow.

            He pulled it out quickly, now growing slightly annoyed with the insect. Who did it think it was, trying to avoid becoming its lunch? It was a bug, and therefor needed to be eaten by higher life forms. That was just how things were done!

            The raven hopped forward, giving up on his attempt at catching the bug in his beak. Instead, the bird chose to simply squash the insect. He could eat its remain off the ground later, if he felt like it.

            Nick frantically tried to avoid the bird’s talons as they came crashing around him, leaving deep indents in the snow. His movements were slowing though, and his breath was fleeing from him. There was no way he could keep this up forever.

            Then he slipped. One of his legs caught on a sheet of ice, and the others tangled up trying to compensate. He crashed to the ground, looking up just in time to see the ravens foot hanging above him.

            He could have sworn that the bird was grinning at him. With one quick movement, the bird slammed his foot down, crushing the back half of the fly under his foot. Then, just to be sure he got him, the raven started grinding his foot, crushing whatever was left of the bug with a satisfying squelch.

            “Stupid bug,” the raven said. “Never try and disobey your higher beings.”

            He lifted his talon up, fly guts streaming from his foot to the mass of organs below. It looked appetizing. The bird was about to take a bite when he heard the squeak of an unoiled door behind him.

            A couple of humans stepped out, talking about something no one cared about. The bird cursed to himself. It looked like he wouldn’t get that meal after all.

            He hastily took off, seeking to avoid the annoying children at all costs.

            It only took a few minutes for Nick to reform into his former fly self.

            “Ah,” he said out loud. “Guess that bird decided to run away. Good choice. No one wants to mess with me!” He jumped as he heard the loud screech of a raven not to far away. “Better leave before he comes back with more of his goons.” Hurridly he jumped into the air, his wings beating violently as he attempted to fly away.

            There wasn’t too much around that looked appealing. He could go back into the school, but he had enough of that for now. If he stayed out in the open, some birds might come back for him.

            So it seemed he only had one choice, the woods that were just beyond the schools edge. It seemed as good a place as any, and at least there he wasn’t going to find any giant humans to step on him, and he would have a much better chance of escape if a bird saw him.

            “I’m sure nothing bad could happen in the woods!” he said optimistically to himself.

Chapter End Notes:

Get ready, the next few chapters have some animals in them. Its goning to be fun. Trust me on that.