- Text Size +

“Wow,” Nick said as he fluttered through the immense city. He simply could not get over how big it really was. At his size, a normal human looked like a skyscraper. Now he was able to look at real skyscrapers, and they were aw inspiring.

            He wafted through the air, his senses bombarded by the different sights, sounds, and smells of the city. He could hear the cars honking at each other, and people yelling to one another. He could see the bright lights flashing above and around him. But, more than anything, he could smell the delicious delicacies of the nearby eateries.

            But he avoided these restaurants. He could always eat, but things had a tendency to end badly whenever he found something to snack on. He shuddered as he remembered all the food related activities of the day. The syrup, the deer and the apple, and everything that had happened in the lunchroom.

            Soon something caught his attention. He passed by an electronics store, proudly displaying the newest forms of technology. At first it was just the bright, pretty lights that Nick was attracter to, but he soon found something more.

            “That’s the new Machine Head gaming system!” Without even a seconds thought, the fly rushed into the hard glass separating him from the system. To his dismay, the glass stopped him with a small plink.

            Nick was not deterred however, and continued to bash himself against the glass for almost a full minute before he finally remembered that flies cannot transverse solid objects. Most times Nick would know this instantly, but this time his fly instincts took over.

            The bug looked around, embarrassed that he had been so moronic. He saw a pigeon sitting on a park bench a few feet away that was starring at him with a completely blank expression. Somehow, Nick knew that it was judging him.

            Before anything else could happen, Nick fluttered into the store, escaping the pigeons knowing glance.

            In actuality, the pigeon was not concerned about Nick. He was actually thinking about how much he hated ducks. All they have to do is go up to an old person a quack a bit to get food. And what did pigeons get? Whatever people toss on the ground. It’s not fare!

            Nick rushed to the display for the Mecha Head gaming system. It was only when he reached it that he realized he would not be able to play it.

            “NO!” Nick screamed as he collapsed on a nearby shelf, shacking his fist dramatically in the air. No matter how hard he tried, how much he wanted it, there was no way a fly would be able to play on a human gaming system. But, before he was even able to finish his little fit, a child came up to the system and turned it on. “Well, at least I get to see someone play it. That’s something.”

            For the next few minutes, Nick stayed at his perch, eyes glued to the ultra –HD T.V. screen. It was because of his complete memorization that he missed out on viewing a super interesting episode of the news that was playing behind him.

            The 3D holographic visualizer, an immense improvement on its 2D counterparts of last month, displayed the elegant form of a female news reporter, dressed all in red, and who’s noes was far to big for her face.

            “And of course, the top news story on our program today is the now infamous interview our very own reporter, Clair Gumby, conducted with the president of the United States. We have a clip for you.” The picture changed to that of a poorly lit room with two fluffy chairs. Inside of these chairs sat two people. Reporter Clair Gumby sat on the left, a beautiful woman at the age of 85 dressed in the clothing of a twenty year old. Many people had complained about this in the past, to which she had replied with, “Ya’ll perverts who just want to get with a sweet old lady. I have got with many men in my lifetime, and I can say for sure that I would be to much for any of you to handle.” Across from this old bag sat President Shalts, sweaty as always.

            “So,” Clair started. “You’ve come under a lot of fire recently Mr. President.”

            “I have,” Shalts admitted.

            “First there was the Nutown incident, that ended with the complete and total destruction of a city for reasons you have not yet given us.”

            “They are good reasons though,” Shalts interjected with a wag of his finger.

            “And can you tell us them?”

            Shalts leaned back in his chair confidently. “No.”

            “Okay, then I will continue. There was also the incident with project HALO.”

            “Which was also justified.”

            Clair smiled politely. “Of course it was. This was then followed by the Olympus exploration, extermination, and recovery operation, and all the revelations that went along with it.”

            “Yes,” Shalts said happily.

            “After which you declared yourself president for life since we are now at a time of intergalactic war.”

            “Also true.”

            “I’m going to be blunt here. Are you the devil? And I mean that literally.”

            Shalts leaned forward in his chair, wiping some of the sweat from his face. “I am telling the truth. I am not the devil.”

            “But because of your actions, we were involved with two wars, one of which was interplanetary. Not to mention the death tolls, which numbered in the millions.”

            “I was just doing what I thought was best.”

            “And you don’t think that someone else might have better ideas?”

            “Nope. Everything is working out perfectly.” At this, the president pushed his hands together, forming an evil pyramid. The silence hung in the air for a moment.

            “See, its shit like that that makes people think you’re the devil.”

            The picture cut back to the news reporter in red. “We conducted our own survey on this topic.” A graph appeared next to her. “Ninety five present of the population believes that Shalts is the devil, three present think that he is not the devil, but has made a pact with him, and one percent think that he is actually a good guy. Stupid, but good.”

            “The reaming one percent has been lost somewhere along the way, because honestly, where not very good at our jobs. Now some boring crap you don’t care about!”

            The child took the helmet off, his hair a complete mess. The one downside of this high tech gaming system was how stupid one looked while playing, and even after.

            Nick stretched his wings. There was nothing left for him to do here. He jumped from the shelf, flapping his bug wings with skills one would not expect a fly that was only a day old to have.

            He buzzed out of the open door and back into the cold air of the city. Up he flew, into the skies above, away from any humans, and the dangers that came with them.

Chapter End Notes:

Anyone catch the references there? Well, reference. I still need to write the stories for the others.

Next chapter will be up soon (maybe within the day) and it will have some sexy action! Well, that might be up for debate. You'll see what i mean.