- Text Size +

  After Jessica received her injection the scientist quickly entered the control room through the door right next to the one way glass. Due to the unpredictability of the Jones serum it was best that everyone was a minimum safe distance from the candidate. Her vitals were being monitored by a couple of scientists in the control room and David was feeling a little anxious. He didn’t know who was more nervous, his daughter or him. He didn’t know exactly what was going to happened to her and that terrified him inside. He didn’t want his daughter to become some kind of monster.

  There was sense of excitement in the air for the first few seconds while everyone expected to witness some kind of wonderful metamorphosis to occur. Jessica’s vitals were all reading normal and this caused some concern amongst the scientist who were monitoring the computer screens. Normally anyone exposed to the Jones serum started to develop their abilities within the first few seconds but for now nothing seemed to be happening. Jessica herself began to jump up and down a little and move around to see if anything was different. So far she didn’t feel much different and it was beginning to cause her some concern. She had witnessed the other candidates go through the procedure and their abilities didn’t take this long to manifest.

  “What’s happening?” asked Mr Park to one of the two scientists viewing Jessica’s vitals on the computer screen.

  “There seems to be nothing happening Mr Park,” replied the Scientist continuing to view the vitals in some hope that there would be a variation. “So far there’s been no change in Miss Snape’s biology at all. This is highly unusual but not unheard of, maybe the serum just needs a little more time to work its magic or maybe…”

  “Maybe what?” interrupted David. His concern was beginning to get the better of him because he would normally never but into a conversation with Mr Park, he had more sense than that.

  “Maybe your daughter might be immune to the serum. There are a few people who are and there’s a good chance that she may be one of them.”

  David didn’t know how to react to this news. A part of him was sad because he knew that Jessica’s dream of becoming an Agent would be shattered and that she would be extremely disappointed. But there was also a part of him that couldn’t be happier. He had dreaded what would happen to Jessica if she did become an agent. Her life would be in danger on a regular basis and the fact that she was going to get a superhuman ability also scared him. Because the abilities were random there was no telling what she would receive. It could have been an ability that greatly benefitted her and everyone else or it could have been an ability that would have turned her life into a living hell.

  The minutes seemed to go like hours to Jessica. She was alone in the Test Centre awaiting her powers to activate but as time went by she began to realise that something was very wrong. It only took her a few moments to realise that the procedure hadn’t worked and this caused her shed a tear. She considered asking for another shot but she knew that it would be pointless. David had told her that receiving a second Jones serum shot would have no effect, the serum only worked once and a second shot would not boost an agent or give them any additional abilities. Her dream seemed to be over but she couldn’t give up hope. If she gave up hope then she already knew that it had failed. She had never lost hope with anything and she certainly wasn’t going to start now, she just wanted to believe so badly that the serum would take effect but that belief was dwindling by the second.

  Eventually the door to the control room opened as the scientist who had injected Jessica walked towards her. This time she was carrying a small handheld device and before Jessica could say anything she began to scan her. Jessica was beginning to feel cold because all she was wearing was her undergarments and her thick eyeglasses. The scan seemed to only take a few seconds and eventually a red light appeared on the device and she didn’t know what it meant.

  “I’m sorry to inform you that you seem to be immune to the serum,” said the Scientist. “Your body has not reacted to the serum and seems to have rejected it.”

  “What?” replied Jessica feeling her heart breaking.

  “Unfortunately you seem to be one of the small minority of people who are immune to the serum’s effect. I’m sorry to have to tell you but you can never become an agent.”

  Although Jessica put on a brave face inside she was breaking down completely. Her dreams of helping people as an agent had been completely shattered. There were so many things she wanted to do but now couldn’t because she was never going to be an agent. Although she still had the intelligence to become a scientist for the company becoming an agent is what she truly wanted to do. Now that she knew that it would never happen she didn’t know exactly what to do next.

  The next thing Jessica saw was her father walk towards her carrying a large blanket. She looked at him with tears in her eyes as he wrapped it around her. She still felt a little cold but she felt better now that her father was here. He looked over to the scientist after he had wrapped the blanket around his cold daughter. He didn’t know exactly how the Jones serum worked since it was not his department but he could tell that it hadn’t worked.

  “What’s wrong Doctor Wagner?” asked David still clutching Jessica.

  “Her body seems to have rejected the serum,” replied Doctor Wagner. “Even if we were to inject her again the results would be the same. I’m sorry that this has happened but your daughter is still a remarkable young woman just getting to this stage.”

  “Thank you Doctor.” He felt Jessica wrap an arm around him while she used her other arm to hold onto the blanket. He then looked towards the door and saw that Mr Park was slowly making his way towards them. Due to his age and failing health he was walking very slowly but he always kept his friendly face.

  “It seems that things have not gone to plan,” said Mr Park as he continued to hobble his way towards them. “It is with a heavy heart that I have seen one of the brightest potentials I’ve ever witnessed ended by bad luck.” He eventually reached the group and he looked directly at Jessica and he could see the tears in her eyes. “There are no need for tears my dear.” He reached into his pocket and took out a handkerchief and gave it to her. She had to take her arm from her father’s side to be able to grasp the handkerchief. She then brought it to her nose and she blew on it. “Do not see this as an end but as a new beginning. With your intelligence and determination I can see you becoming one of the greatest scientist my company has ever seen. You may start whenever you like but for now I think it’s best that you go home and have a few days to recover from your disappointment.” He then looked at David. “Doctor Snape you may have the rest of the day off to help your daughter. I think she may need you more than ever right now.”

  “Thank you Mr Park.” He held Jessica a little tighter and he could still hear her sniffing. He felt like a terrible father for somewhat hoping that this would happen.

  As soon as she was properly dressed Jessica was taken back home. Throughout the journey back to her home she was completely silent. All her disappointed had for now gotten the better of her and she too depressed to speak. Her father wanted to say something of inspiration but he knew that there was nothing he could say that would make her feel any better. He thought that if his wife was still alive she would know exactly what to do but she wasn’t so it was up to him.

  When they eventually did reach their house all Jessica could do was lie down on her bed and cry into her pillow. David wanted nothing more than to comfort his daughter but he thought that for now it was best to leave her be. It was best to get it all out of her system before he could speak to her. Instead all he did was give her a glass of water and her space. She was still too disappointed to say anything.

  The minutes turned into hours as Jessica continued to cry into her pillow. All her depression was coming out at once and only once before had she ever been sad. She didn’t want to do anything right now but wallow in her self-pity. She knew that she would eventually get over the disappointment but for now all she wanted to do was cry.

  Eventually she heard a knocking on her door, at first she did not answer but her bedroom door eventually opened and she saw her father. He had gotten changed from his work uniform to his old sitting around clothes. He had prepared her a cool meal in hopes that it would make her feel better but for now he had left it in the kitchen. There was something else he needed to tell her.

  “You have a call,” said David. “Alicia’s on the intercom for you and I think it’s best you talk to her.”

  “I don’t want to talk to anyone right now,” replied Jessica briefly removing her head from her pillow.

  “You shouldn’t push your friend away Jessica. If you do that then you will live a very lonely life and I know you’ll regret that sooner than you think.” He then sighed as he walked towards the bed. “Please talk to her, she’s your best friend and she only wants what’s best for you.”

  Jessica continued to sniff as she looked at her father. She wanted him to say the words that would make her feel better but she knew that for now there were no words that could do that. She knew that he only meant the best for her and she had to admit defeat. She slowly sat up on her bed and looked at him for a moment.

  “Ok I’ll talk to her,” said Jessica in a quiet sombre voice.

  “Good now when you’ve finished I’ve made you some lunch,” replied David with his hand on her shoulder. “But if you don’t want it that’s fine. A disappointment like this is hard to get over straight away.”

  “Thanks Daddy.”

  Around a minute later Jessica was sitting at a table with a large screen in front of her. On the screen she could see the face of her best friend Alicia and through a camera at the top of the screen she could see her as well. The first thing Alicia had noticed was that Jessica had been crying and she automatically knew that something wasn’t right. She had seen her like this a couple of times, especially when she was picked on by the more popular girls and she only hoped that she could help her in some way.

  “What’s wrong Jessica?” asked Alicia but she already felt that she knew the answer. She had already guessed that something had gone wrong that day but she didn’t know exactly what it was.

  “It didn’t work,” replied Jessica still not sobbing a little.

  “What didn’t work?”

  “The Jones serum.” She paused for a moment as she gathered her thoughts. “I was given the shot like I was supposed to but they said that my body rejected the serum. They said I would never be an agent.”

  “What?” She had not expected Jessica to say that. She had expected Jessica to gain a useless or embarrassing power but she didn’t think that she wouldn’t gain any powers at all. “How are you holding up?”

  “Terrible, my dream is over and I don’t know what to do next. They said I could be a scientist like my dad but I don’t know if I can. I’m not sure whether I can face that place again after such a let-down.”

  “Come on Jess turn that frown upside down.” She began to smile but at first it didn’t seem to rub off on Jessica. “Tell you what come around my house later and we can have a girl’s night. There’s a bad movie marathon on and I have enough popcorn to feed an entire army. By the end of the night you’ll have a new and better look at your future.”

  “I don’t know.” She was reluctant to go out. She knew that Alicia wanted to make her happy but she felt that it was a little too soon.

  “I’m not taking no for an answer Jess. You know it’ll make you feel better and besides I’ve got the house to myself and I can’t eat all this popcorn without you.”

  Jessica contemplated what Alicia was telling her and she had to admit defeat. She knew that she wasn’t doing herself any favours staying here and crying all the time. Maybe spending time with her best friend was what she truly needed. She wiped the tears from her eyes and looked at her friend once again.

  “Ok I’ll come,” said Jessica trying to put on a small smile.

  “That’s my girl,” replied Alicia with her own smile growing. “Come round at seven and don’t forget to leave your sadness behind because tonight it’s all going to be fun, fun, fun.” Just then she heard a small ringing noise. “Sorry Jess gotta go, I’ll see you later and if you want to bring some of that Jessica Snape optimism which everyone knows and loves. Whatever makes you happy.”

  “Ok I’ll see you later Alicia.”

  “Bye.”

  The screen then went blank as the call was disconnected. Jessica wasn’t sure exactly what she was going to do that night but she knew that being with Alicia was going to make her feel better. It was around the middle of the afternoon so she still had a few hours to clean herself up and get something to eat before she went to her friend’s. She remembered that David had prepared her a cool meal and she realised that she hadn’t eaten anything since the morning. She felt a little hungry so she didn’t hesitate to eat her lunch. David had heard the conversation and he was happy that Jessica was going out. He always hated seeing her upset and this seemed to be the perfect way that she could make herself feel better. He knew that Alicia was Jessica’s true friend and that she would never do anything to harm her.

  A few hours later Jessica was sitting on a large sofa next to her best friend Alicia. Jessica was wearing a plain white tank top, a pair of old blue trousers and a pair of white sneakers. She didn’t have the confidence to dress in anything that revealed too much. She was too much of a modest girl and she didn’t feel that she had the right body for it. She thought that people would be repulsed by her body rather than be attracted to it.

  Alicia had placed an extremely large bowl of popcorn on the small table in front of the sofa and she had put on the large TV which was showing a cheap B film. It was a horror film that didn’t have too much gore since it was still too early to have those kind of films on the TV. Ever since she had gotten there Jessica hadn’t really said that much and Alicia had noticed this. She crawled over to her small friend and gave her a hug; she knew that it always made Jessica feel better. She could see that she was still very disappointed but she still had a night of fun that she knew would lift her friend’s spirit.

  “Cheer up Jessica,” said Alicia trying to put on a smile. “At least you won’t ever have to worry about going through hours and hours of training just to use your powers. You’re still the same Jessica that we all know and love.”

  “That’s the problem Alicia,” replied Jessica with sadness in her voice. “This was my opportunity to be someone different. I didn’t want to be the same Jessica that was small and pushed around, I wanted to be someone new, someone better. I wanted to be someone who could be a complete bitch to everyone because they thought they were more important than everyone else but chose not to because it wasn’t right. I wanted to help people outside a laboratory, to be able to actually rescue someone who needed it and taking them to safety.” She then sighed. “But that’s never going to happen.”

  “Sure it will Jess.” She paused for a moment. “Ok maybe not in the way you were expecting but you’ll just be like you dad. You’ll use your intelligence to help people in more ways than I can imagine.”

  “Maybe you’re right but it would have been nice to be more than plain simple Jessica Snape. I could have been Agent Snape Galaxy Trotter. I wanted people like Shelly to finally respect me.”

  “You don’t need the respect of those shallow whores. They may be popular now but give it another twenty years, thirty tops their looks will fade and there will be no one around to love them. At least with you your beauty is on the inside, You’ll admit you’re not going to win any beauty contests soon but at least your heart will always be in the right place.”

  “Thanks Alicia, I’m lucky to have a friend like you.” Her voice had picked up and she was beginning to feel happier. Suddenly she began to feel a headache and she put her hand to her forehead in a vain attempt to stop the pain. It wasn’t too painful but it was still discomforting. “I think I have a headache, do you have anything that can help?”

  “Sure there are some pills in the bathroom.” She was concerned about her friend but she didn’t think it was anything too major.

  “Can you pause the movie for a sec?”

  “Sure Jess.”

  Jessica slowly stood up from the sofa and walked towards Alicia’s bathroom. Alicia had paused the film and she put a pair of headphones on that was also on the small table. They weren’t connected to anything but on its database it stored all of her favourite songs and she wanted to listen to them while she waited for Jessica to return. She had the volume up quite loud so she couldn’t hear anything else.

   As Jessica walked towards the bathroom she walked past the rooms that belonged to Alicia’s parents and her little brother. They had gone out that night and Alicia had decided to stay behind so she could have the house to herself. But as she walked her headache was beginning to get worse. She eventually staggered into the bathroom and approached the medicine cabinet that was above the sink. The door of the cabinet was also the mirror and she could see herself in the mirror. She could see all her zits and it was something else that ate away at her self-confidence.

  Slowly she opened the cabinet and looked for the pills that were for headaches. She had been in this cabinet several times over her numerous visits so she knew exactly where everything was. Eventually she picked up a small bottle containing several pink pills which she knew was for headaches.

  As she closed the cabinet door her headache suddenly spiked and the pain was enough for her to cry out, close her eyes and drop the bottle. Thankfully the bottle was made out of plastic so it didn’t smash on the floor but Jessica was in agony. But almost as quickly as it begun the pain suddenly subsided and she was able to open her eyes again. But as she looked into the mirror everything was a blur and she feared that her eyesight had deteriorated further. She lifted her glasses and rubbed her eyes with her thumb and forefinger but when her glasses were off she noticed something very strange. Her vision seemed to be perfect, she dropped her glasses back on and once again her vision was blurry. She decided to take her glasses off completely and placed them on the sink, she realised that she could see as clear as day. Her vision wasn’t just perfect but it was like she was watching a film in high definition.

  “I can see?” asked Jessica to herself quietly. The sudden gain of sight had left her completely surprised. She had always wanted her vision to be like everyone else’s and it seemed she had her wish.

  Suddenly Jessica felt excruciating pain in her face. She cried out and brought her hands to her face. She felt as if someone had just thrown acid on her face and she her cries were unfortunately falling on deaf ears. Alicia with her headphones on couldn’t hear Jessica’s cries of pain and was completely oblivious to what was happening.

  Jessica had never experienced pain like this before and she had no idea what was happening to her. She was close to tears but after about thirty seconds the pain simply disappeared and she gasped for air as she began to recover from the experience. As she lowered her hands from her face she could see herself in the mirror and what she saw surprised her more than she could imagine. All the zits on her face had disappeared, she brought her face closer to the mirror so that she could get a better look and she felt her face. Her skin also felt very different, rather than the numerous lumps and dryness she felt before now it felt smooth and soft. For the first time ever she considered her face to be beautiful.

  But before Jessica could truly marvel over her new face she felt another sharp pain but this time in her chest area. She brought her hands up to her breasts and she thought she was having some kind of heart attack but the symptoms were all wrong. After a couple of seconds she felt something odd in her hands, at first she thought that she was going crazy but she swore that it felt like her breasts were beginning to grow. As she took her hands on her breasts her assumption turned out to be true as she watched her tiny breasts continue to grow. The tank top she was wearing began to move as her breasts continued grow. She thought her breasts were on the verge of exploding as she heard her bra snap and her tank top begin to tear. Her breasts ballooned at an impossible rate and it seemed like someone was pumping them up with an invisible pump. After several seconds the fabric of her tank top completely exposing her bare breasts.

  Only seconds later Jessica’s breasts stopped their expansion and she continued to gasp for air. She wanted to cry but the sudden change of her body had left her completely shaken and all she could was fall to the ground in complete shock. Her breasts were now bigger than she thought was even healthy, they were like two melons strapped to her chest and although she had always wanted her breasts to be bigger she never wanted them to be this big. She wanted to cry out for help but she could not get the words out. Everything had was happening so fast that her mind hadn’t quite caught up yet. But then she felt a sharp pain but this time it was all over her body.

  The pain was worse than any other she had felt before and she screamed at the top of her lungs. She had never screamed like this before and her screams almost sounded inhuman. It would be enough to deafen anyone close by but unfortunately the only person who it really mattered to couldn’t hear her screams. Alicia was still in the other room with her headphones on listening to her music. She was beginning to wonder where Jessica was because she knew that it wouldn’t take this long to take a couple of pills.

  As the pain continued to surge through her body felt her trousers and shoes begin to get tight. Her tank top and bra were already destroyed so there was nothing left there for her to feel but it didn’t make the experience any less traumatic. She thought that her body was swelling but she thought that was impossible, she hadn’t even taken the pills and now her body was going through a metamorphosis.

  She felt her body begin to stretch upwards but by now she was lying on the ground screaming in agony. Her trousers quickly became too short for her and she felt her feet become extremely cramped in her shoes. The next thing she heard was the button on her trousers popping off into the air as it couldn’t take the pressure of her growing body. Her heart rate had increased to such a pace that if it continued she would likely have a cardiac arrest. She raised her hand in front of her face and she watched in horror as it stretched and expanded in front of her very eyes.

  Jessica’s trousers began to tear at the seams as her legs lengthened and expanded. She wasn’t gaining any fat but it seemed that there was nothing stopping her growth and the pain was still unbearable. She thought that her body was ripping itself apart and there was nothing she or anyone else could do to stop it.

  Her shoes began to split apart as her toes began to poke through them and when they were free it was like the floodgates had been opened as the rest of her foot lengthened. She saw that the world around her was getting smaller and she was absolutely terrified, she was so scared that she would have wet herself but her bladder refused to release its content. Whatever was causing her to grow was currently preventing her body to function properly.

  Jessica was still lying down and she felt her head hit the wall as her body continued to lengthen. She was in so much pain that she didn’t notice her body complexion completely change. The skin on her body became as smooth and soft as the skin on her face and all imperfections had been removed. Her body wasn’t the only thing that was growing but her hair was also lengthening and becoming much fuller. Previously had been relatively short but now it had grown down to her mid back and looked like she had just had her hair styled by a very talented stylist.

  As her transformation slowed down her trousers had were completely destroyed and her shoes were had fallen off her now enormous feet. She was naked save for a small pair of women’s underpants she was wearing although they were also close to breaking point. Throughout she thought that she was going to die.

  When the pain finally subsided Jessica slowly sat up and looked at her hands. They looked a lot bigger than they had done before and she wanted to stand up. She reached up and grabbed hold onto a small cabinet that had been right next to her and using all her strength she slowly began to stand up. She was extremely dizzy and everything looked to be lower than it had been before. But as she put more weight on her legs she almost collapsed but she held onto the cabinet and it helped support herself. Her legs felt like spaghetti, long and weak. It took her close to a minute to finally stand up straight although her legs were shaking and close to collapsing. Everything in the bathroom looked very different now; it looked like the entire room had been designed for a dwarf. She was relatively close to the door and she saw that she was now several inches taller than the doorframe although with her mind all over the place she could not calculate her exact height. Her head was much closer to the ceiling and she would be able to touch it without even stretching her arms. It didn’t take her long to realise just what had happened to her.