- Text Size +

  Jessica’s mind began to flash back to her life two centuries prior. Her life had been very different back then; she wasn’t the giantess she was today. Instead of being Agent Jessica Snape she was simply Jessica Snape an eighteen year old girl with a world of opportunities in front of her. Physically she was also very different, a giantess was the last thing you’d call her. She stood only five feet tall and there was nothing remarkable about her at all, she was very near sighted and needed a thick pair of glasses just to see what was in front of her. Her face was covered in zits and no matter how much medicated face cream she used they wouldn’t go away. Her breasts were extremely small and sometimes it was difficult to tell whether she had any at all. Her hair was also very different, rather than her long hair full of volume her hair back then was relatively short and straight.

  Instead of living in her giant size apartment Jessica lived in a normal size suburban home with her widowed father. Her father was named Doctor David Snape and he was one of the top scientists the company had to offer. He was a brilliant yet somewhat broken man; he had lost his wife a few years prior and had not gotten over her death. He had completely emerged himself into his work and only took the time to interact with his daughter when she really needed him. Jessica didn’t hate her father for this, she had been had been very close to her mother and her sudden death had also affected her deeply. Instead of her mother explaining all the changes her body went through when she hit puberty instead it was her father. He couldn’t truly know what it would be like for her but he tried as best as he could.

  Jessica’s mother looked a lot like Jessica herself although she was taller and didn’t have the same acme problem as her daughter. Jessica’s lack of height was due to a string of below average height relatives on her mother’s side. She always hoped that one day she would be as tall as her mother who herself was around average. David had also never dated since the death of his wife. Whenever he even considered the idea he felt like he was betraying her memory and it would send him into a bout of depression.

  Not through lack of trying Jessica was an only child, she herself had been the result of artificial insemination because her parents’ attempts at conceiving naturally had been unsuccessful. She was the apple in her parents’ eye and they had always wanted what was best for her.

  Even though it was two hundred years prior to the present day Home itself was still technologically superior to modern day Earth. They still had flying cars and the means to travel to different worlds through wormhole technology although the ride wasn’t as smooth as it was present day. Back then the company had only been going for a few decades and their goals were more observing and collected samples rather than actually saving a world. The people had never seen a giant person up close and in reality so they would not be ready for Jessica’s future transformation.

  Jessica had only recently finished her high school level education and she was trying to decide what she wanted to do with her life. Much like her father she had a high intelligence level and could possibly be a scientist like him. She also considered going into other areas of work, she had always loved children and she was somewhat thinking about studying in child care. But even if she did get her qualifications she had no guarantee of actually getting the job.

  She sat in her room reading a series of pamphlets that gave her vital information about her career choices. She even briefly read a pamphlet about a clown college but quickly discarded it; she knew that she had more to offer people than simply making them laugh. She had suffered enough ridicule in her high school years. Her appearance always seemed to attract the verbal and sometimes physical abuse of some of the more beautiful popular girls but throughout everything she did have a protector.

  Jessica’s best friend was named Alicia and she almost the polar opposite of Jessica. Where Jessica was small and shy Alicia was tall and very outgoing. Where ever she went Alicia would ooze confidence with her tall physically fit body and long blond hair. By all standards she was very beautiful with her emerald eyes but her personality was very different then what was expected. Unlike most of the other pretty girls in their school Alicia was a very nice, down to earth person who had been Jessica’s BFF since early childhood. Whenever Jessica was picked on by the popular girls Alicia would get in their way and protect her smaller, weaker friend. Sometimes when Alicia wasn’t around the popular girls would show her no mercy. Once or twice Jessica had gone home with tears in her eyes and ripped clothes.

  Jessica was still inside her room looking at her pamphlets. Her room seemed typical of any girl her age, it was unusually clean though but there were still a couple of posters on the walls and the colour of the room in general was pink. There was a series of stuffed toys at the end of her bed and each one had its own name. She was humming to herself when she heard a knock on her bedroom door. She had been sitting on her bed while she was looking at the pamphlets and she turned her head towards the door.

  “Come in,” she said but her voice was also different. Instead of having the soothing voice that she presently had, back then her voice had been a little croaky and sometimes hard to make out.

  Moments later Jessica’s Father opened the door and entered her room. He was wearing a lab coat indicating that he had just come back from work. Like Jessica he also needed to wear glasses but his eyesight was much better then hers. He had been working a lot recently and hadn’t spent that much time with her. Ever since his wife had died Jessica was his only link to her and the last thing he wanted was to lose his daughter.

  “Hi Daddy,” said Jessica. She quickly got up from her bed and walked over to her father. She didn’t hesitate in hugging him and she looked up at his face. He was a foot taller than her and she always felt small compared to him but she thought that was the way it should be.

  “Hi Jess.” replied David stroking the top of her head. “I’m sorry that I haven’t seen you for a little while but things have been crazy at work. I mentioned that you were interested in getting a job at the company and my superiors are taking it into consideration. Now I know you were thinking about doing other things but I just wanted you to know that the option was always there for you.”

  “Thanks Daddy.” She continued to hug him and she eventually broke into a smile. “I’ve been looking around and there isn’t anything I particularly want to do. Ever since I was five I wanted to work with you and now I might have that opportunity.”

  “So you want to work for the company like your old man. While I must admit your test scores have been very promising I don’t want you to do it just so you’ll stay with me. If you want fly the coop so to speak I won’t stop you. You’re my daughter Jessica and all I ever want is for you to be happy.”

  “I understand Daddy but I truly want to do it. I know that Mom would have been more than happy to see me work for the same company that you do. I know she’s been gone for a long time but while we still remember her she’ll never truly die. She’ll live on in our minds and hearts and I also know she’d want you to move on.”

  David became very quiet for a moment. This wasn’t the first time that Jessica had suggested that he date again but he felt that he wasn’t ready. He had loved his wife dearly and he thought that he would never love another woman the same way again. They had been childhood sweethearts and her sudden death had left a dark hole in his soul. He knew that Jessica wanted him to be happy but he still didn’t think he was ready.

  “Maybe soon honey but not right now. I have too much work to do and I wouldn’t be able to give her the time of day.” He knew that it was a lie but he needed to convince himself that he wasn’t ready.

  “Well alright but don’t hold out forever.” She smiled up to him. “Your good looks won’t last forever.” She then looked towards a small clock on her wall and she soon realised what time it was. She quickly stepped away from her father and put a pair of sneakers on. “Sorry Daddy but I’ve gotta run, I’m meeting Alicia at the mall and once again I’m running late.” She then walked back up to David and she stood on her tiptoes and gave him a kiss on his cheek. “Bye Daddy I’ll be back in a couple of hours.”

  David watched as Jessica walked away and out of the house. Now that he was alone he could go back to his own work. His work was extremely important to the Company because he was one of the co-creators of the VSC that the agents required to perform their duties. Even the anagram stood for Vance Snape Cox, the three men behind the revolutionary machine. It had been his life’s work but it was a device that constantly needed to be upgraded, there were still several bugs and they weren’t going to rectify themselves. He had a lot of work to do and at least for him it would take his mind off the troubles he had in his love life.

  Several minutes later Jessica had gotten herself to the local mall. Thankfully for her the mall was only a short walk from her house so she didn’t need to drive or take public transport. The clothes she was wearing were very plain and didn’t stand out at all. This was the way she liked it, she hated standing out in the crowd and least while she wore these she was a little more inconspicuous. She walked into the mall and made her way up to the food court, it was a very busy day and most of the tables were occupied, she looked around to see if she could see a friend and after a few moments she saw a hand waving at her. This attracted her attention and she looked to see her friend Alicia

  Alicia was sitting down at one of the tables and she was wearing something that Jessica thought was a bit much. Unlike Jessica Alicia had a very keen fashion sense, she wore a blue mini dress with a pair of flat black shoes. She also had her ears pierced a couple of times in both ears. She also stood around 5’10 even though it was hard to tell when she was sitting down, it was funny to see her with Jessica since the height difference was close to a foot but they didn’t let that get in the way of their friendship. She had been friends with Jessica for almost her entire life and never once did she mock her or give her any bad advice. She wasn’t the smartest person in the world but Jessica had always helped her with any homework she was struggling with. In their partnership Jessica had the brains and Alicia had the body to protect them against almost any bully.

  Jessica waltzed over to the table and sat down opposite Alicia. Alicia already had gotten herself an order of food that looked similar to fries. She would have ordered Jessica some but she knew that her friend would be late like she normally was. It was much healthier than any portion of fries on Earth although it didn’t lose its taste. It was like much of the food on Home even though they tasted wonderful they were still healthy for you. This meant that obesity was much rarer here than any developed nation on the planet Earth.

  “Hey Jess,” said Alicia in a cheery voice as she watched Jessica sit down. “I was beginning to think you weren’t coming because let’s face it your time keeping isn’t the best in the galaxy.”

  “Sorry Alicia but I was just looking through a few pamphlets and I lost track of time,” replied Jessica in her most apologetic voice. “Have you been waiting long?”

  “An ice age came and gone while I waited for you.” She then began to laugh. “I’m only kidding my fries are still warm so it hasn’t been all that long.”

  Jessica breathed a sigh of relief. Sometimes she didn’t know whether Alicia was joking or being serious. She had that kind of personality but that’s another reason why she liked her so much. When it came to Jessica Alicia didn’t like to pull any punches, she knew that lying to Jessica wasn’t going to help her in any way so she always told her the truth.

  “So which stores are we going in today?” asked Jessica quickly picking up one of the warm fries. She knew that Alicia wouldn’t mind because they often shared the food they bought at the food court.

  “There’s a sale at Debbie’s and I know you’ll want to look in Lincoln.” Suddenly something in the corner of her eye caught her attention. Sitting at a table not too far from their own sat a young man with short black hair and wearing a very trendy outfit. He wasn’t alone at the table however. There were two young women and another young man with him. She recognised them as a few students from their school and she pointed towards them in a way that didn’t make it obvious. “Hey isn’t that Bobby Grey?”

  “What where?” Jessica looked towards where Alicia was pointing and she saw Bobby sitting at the table eating and laughing with the others. She had a crush on him ever since she was in junior high. She had always wanted to ask him out on a date but she knew what would happen if she did. He was a handsome popular boy and she was just the small nerdy girl who wanted what she couldn’t have. He had been the only popular boy to show anything form of kindness to her. Although his kindness had been very minor it was still enough to make Jessica like him. She didn’t have the courage to actually go up to him and ask him out because she knew that everyone would laugh at her. It didn’t stop her from admiring him from a distance. “Oh he’s so dreamy.”

  “Dreamy? Obnoxious yes but I wouldn’t call him dreamy.” She looked and saw the look on Jessica’s face. She was lost in her own world and Alicia decided that she needed to snap her friend back to reality. “Hello Home to Jessica.” This caught Jessica’s attention and for a moment she was slightly confused. “You know you don’t stand a chance.”

  “I know but look at him.” She began to look at him again as she saw him stretch his arms. “He’s so strong and look at his hair.” She gave a small sigh. “I could run my hands through those fields of wonder all day. Those girls are no good for him, they’ll just have sex with him and then dump him. I know what those girls are like and it’s not like their sex lives was any big secret.”

  “I’ve heard Bobby and Shelly did in the Principal’s office on graduation day. They would have been expelled but there was nothing the Principal could do about it.”

  “That’s just a silly rumour besides I would if I was her.” A cheeky grin appeared on her face. “Just imagine what it would have been like if we hooked up, I could stare into his eyes and get lost in them.”

  “And you’d have to take your glasses off just so he could see yours and you know you’re practically blind without them. Face it Jess he’s way out of your league, you’re better off with a man who would love you for you and doesn’t just see you as a fuck.”

  The words were quite hurtful but Jessica knew that Alicia didn’t mean any malice from them. She also knew that her friend was right, no matter how much she fantasied about it there was no way that Bobby would ever fall for a girl like her. But she began to get a somewhat crazy idea in her head.

  Several times Jessica had visited the Company and had seen many of the agents. She had heard that a few of them had gotten the attentions of attractive people after becoming an agent. She didn’t know whether it was the job or the superpowers that attracted the people but she didn’t really care. As long as it got her noticed by Bobby she would go for it. She looked at Alicia who was still eating her fries.

  “You know Alicia you know I might be going to work along with my Dad don’t you,” said Jessica. Her full attention was back on Alicia and she didn’t notice Bobby get up and leave with his friends.

  “Sure you told me before,” replied Alicia with some confusion. “We decided that you’d go and work with your dad and I’d go into modelling.” She paused for a moment. “I forgot to tell you, I’ve had a couple of offers and I’m just deciding what kind of model I should be. What do you think Jessica? Glamor or Athletic?”

  “I’m not sure I’d say you’d be better at athletic rather than glamor.” Like Alicia Jessica also always told the truth to her friend.

  “You really think so?”

  “Sure I of all people know just how athletic you are. I don’t think you entirely have the right body for glamor but athletic you’ve got it in the bag.” She saw the smile on Alicia’s face and she knew that her friend truly appreciated the advice. “Anyway as I was saying I’m thinking about working with my dad. He says that I could be a scientist like him but I’d have to go and do a lot of higher education and eventually earn a degree. But instead I was thinking about becoming an agent.”

  “You an agent?” She then began to laugh thinking that Jessica was joking. She continued to laugh for several seconds but when she saw the stern look on Jessica’s face she realised that she wasn’t joking. “You’re serious aren’t you?”

  “Yes I am serious. It’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a few years. You have to admit that it would be cool to get some kind of superpower. I could imagine myself with super speed or the ability to shoot lasers out of my eyes.”

  “Or you could end up having something lame like being able to grow your fingernails.” Alicia began to become concerned, she knew that the lifestyle of an agent wasn’t always glamorous. “It’s also a very risky job, going to different planets you don’t even know what’s out there. There could be some kind of alien that plants an egg inside you.”

  “That’s silly. My dad says that when an agent goes to a planet they’re cloaked so that nothing can see them. I admit there have been a few agents killed in the line of duty but couldn’t you also imagine me helping people when there’s some kind of disaster.” She put her hands on her sides as if she were some kind of superhero. “Imagine me blasting some rubble to free a poor family or running at supersonic speed to take an injured person to the hospital. I could do a lot of good and then people will think I’m more than just a short nerd.” Her expression changed from being happy to one of self-doubt. “To tell you the truth my self-esteem is at an all-time low and this is the time for me to change and be a different person. Like you say even I have some kind of lame power I can still find a way for that to benefit people.”

  For a few moments there was only silence between the two friends. Alicia had stopped eating her fries and was fully taking in everything that Jessica had said. She didn’t think it was a very good idea but she couldn’t argue with Jessica’s reasoning. She knew that Jessica’s heart was in the right place and if anyone could use any kind of superpower to benefit people it would be her. She put held out her hands and gently held onto Jessica’s. She then looked into her hazel eyes and knew that she had to support her.

  “Have you told your dad?” asked Alicia.

  “No I haven’t had the heart to tell him,” replied Jessica also looking into her friend’s eyes. “I know that he won’t approve.”

  “You don’t know that for sure until you ask him. If he truly loves you then he’ll let you do what you think is right.”

  “You really think so?”

  “Of course he will. Your dad loves you more than anything else in the world. He won’t stop you from doing the career you choose no matter how much he might disapprove. He wouldn’t want you to go through the rest of your life unhappy.” She could see that a tear was forming in Jessica’s eye. “Come on where’s that smile I like? Where’s that smile?” She watched as Jessica began to smile a little. It was awkward at first but as the moments went by it developed into a genuine smile. “There it is.”

  Jessica and Alicia reached over the small table and embraced each other in a hug. By now tears were rolling down Jessica’s face and she couldn’t control herself. Alicia was her only friend and once again she made her extremely happy.

  “Thank you Alicia,” cried Jessica. “You always know the right thing to say.” She broke off the hug and tried to wipe the tears from her eyes. “You’re my best friend and I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

  “You’d be fine Jessica.” She broke a smile that continued to make Jessica feel good about herself. “Now I think someone needs a new pair of shoes.”

  Both girls quickly finished off the order of fires and left the table. David had given Jessica a small amount of money so if she wanted to buy something it had to be something at a reasonable price. She didn’t want to buy a dress or a pair of heels; instead she wanted to buy a new jacket or maybe a cleaning kit for her glasses. She had never been that interested in the latest fashions because she felt that her body wasn’t right to wear the clothes. Her unremarkable body made her feel that she wasn’t beautiful enough to wear the clothes so instead she kept to the plain clothes that didn’t show any skin. Sometimes when it was hot she’d just wear a t-shirt but again it would be plain although sometimes there would be writing or a logo on the shirt. She hoped that if she did become an agent her life would change for the better.

  A few hours later Jessica returned back to her home with a small amount of shopping. She had parted with Alicia as she lived in the opposite direction from the mall. Alicia was always worried when Jessica was walking the streets by herself but there were plenty of police around keeping the peace. Violent crimes were relatively rare in her neighbourhood but there were always opportunists that could easily target someone as small and fragile as Jessica.

  “Hi Daddy are you here?” asked Jessica as she walked through the door. At first she couldn’t see her father but eventually she found him in his office at the back of the house. The curtains in his office were drawn even though it was still the day time. This was because he had a hologram being projected of the VSC device that he was still going over. It was primitive in comparison to the modern day model but it did the job that was needed for now. The hologram had all the technical stats that he needed to go through the planned upgrades. At first he didn’t hear Jessica come in, he was too wrapped up in his work and had shut the outside world out. “Daddy do you have a minute?”

  “Oh Jessica,” replied David in surprise. “Y-yeah sure.” He then pressed a button on the small hologram projector on his desk. Instantly the hologram disappeared and the curtains slowly opened by themselves. He remained seated but he didn’t take his focus off Jessica. “What’s on your mind Honey?”

  “I wanted to tell you that I’ve been thinking and I know what career I want to take.” She then sighed. “Daddy I want to be an agent.”

  “What?” He quickly stood up from his chair and he was even more surprised than he had been before. He had expected her to say that she wanted to be a scientist like him or become something that needed more brains rather than physical activities. “You want to be an agent, but why?”

  “I want to make the galaxy a better place. I’m tired of being overlooked by everyone, I want to be noticed and I want to do something I know Mom would be proud of.” She paused for a moment as she collected her thoughts. “I know she would have liked me to be like you but this is what I want to do.”

  “But think of the risks Honey. I know what those agents go through and I’m not sure if you’ll be able to handle it. They go to uncharted maybe even dangerous planets and I’ve seen a few of them suffer horrific injuries. You may get superpowers but it’s not like you get to pick and choose them, they come completely randomly and you could gain something that would leave you incapacitated. There was one person who when we tried to activate his powers he gained the ability to sleep forever. All attempts to wake him up have failed and he’s still asleep in the medi-lab. He’s not dead but he’s sleeping and I don’t want you to have a similar fate.”

  “Please Daddy this is something I really want to do. I know that I’d make you proud no matter what powers I have.” She walked closer to him and when he was close enough she placed her small hand on his cheek and looked directly into his eyes. “Let me do this Daddy and I swear I won’t let you down.”

  “Just before your mother died on her deathbed she made me swear that I would protect you in any way I could. I don’t want to break my last promise to your mother.” There was a tear forming in his eye. “You’re all I have left of her.”

  “I am not a child anymore Daddy, despite my lack of height I’m a fully grown woman and this is my decision. If anything happens it won’t be your fault and you will not have failed Mom. You know as well as I do that she would have wanted the best for me and this is the best for me. I will honour her every time I go on a mission or rescue an innocent person, her essence lives on in me and I can share that with the rest of the galaxy.”

  Tears began to roll down David’s face as he took in everything that Jessica had told him. He thought that he could stop her from trying to be an agent but that would make her very unhappy. The last thing he wanted was his only daughter hating him for the rest of his life and he knew that his deceased wife would have allowed her to go through with it.

  “Ok Jessica if you want to be an agent you can,” said David. “I will always be here to support you.” Before he knew it Jessica had embraced him in a hug and all he could respond with was wrapping his arms around her and hugging her back. He could hear her crying a little and he eventually looked at her face again. Despite her numerous zits he could see the beautiful young woman underneath.

  “Thank you Daddy,” replied Jessica in a voice so quiet it was barely more than a whisper. “You’re the best.”