- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Date In-Story: Sunday. October 13th, 2013.

Sarah: 5'6"

It had been a long year so far for second year university student, Sarah Kipling. Academically speaking her studies in Geology were going fantastically. Work-wise, however... Not so much.

The young, twenty year old brunette was working a dead end job - though before that hadn't mattered much. She knew that once she got out of school her career options would widen. The only things that bothered her about work for now were her colleagues and most importantly, her reduced hours.

She was already only making slightly above minimum wage. But her hours were being slashed in half. She needed to find a new source of income and fast. She'd spent the last week searching job postings and handing out applications; but no interviews yet. Not even a single call back. Was she truly that unappealing as an employee? Or was it more that everywhere she'd applied had all of their positions already filled?

She sighs.

It was now the evening of Sunday, October 13th. The year was 2013 and Sarah was laying leisurely upon the queen sized bed within her small and bleakly white wash walled one room apartment bedroom. Flipping idly through the television with a sigh. Her mind rattled with thoughts of going hungry or missing rent or bills if she was unable to find a new job.

What was she supposed to do? She'd applied everywhere she could think of and she couldn't dream of asking her parents for another loan. She shudders at the thought. What would they think of her?

She sighs lightly once more, her eyes scanning over the LED lit screen as the program switches to commercial.

"Have you ever had an itch you or your back scratcher just couldn't reach?!" The commercial begins, displaying humorous images of individuals failing at some of the most basic of human functions.

"Extendable back scratchers?" She chuckles to herself, smiling lightly at the silly infomercial splaying out over the screen. Leaning back into her pillow as she sets the remote down for a moment.

"Decorative... Paint... For snails?" She asks herself once the commercial changes. Blinking for a moment as she shakes her head. (How do these people come up with these things?) She thinks.

The moments pass as Sarah continues to chuckle at the various infomercials which play over and over in between her program on the Amazon which soon ends. She reaches down for the remote as the commercials flip on once more.

Though this time instead of a ludicrous offer for an anatomically correct 1/16th sized model of a sea lion for five easy installments of $19.99, an advertisement seeking applicants springs up. The ad instantly catching the young girls attention as her fingers freeze on the remote.

"US based and internationally acclaimed Cosmolex Pharmaceuticals is searching for new applicants interested in product testing for some of our latest concepts that have yet to hit the shelves. Are you out of work, interested in the scientific field, or simply looking to make a quick and easy buck? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then Cosmolex wants you!"

Sarah blinks,

"Simply come down to the nearest Cosmolex IPRC building here in Sacramento and ask one of our friendly receptionists or pharmacists to hand you an application! From there its as simple as filling it out and verifying your identity. Once that's all done you'll be well on your way to testing out new and exciting products and receiving your very first pay cheque from us!"

Sarah stares as the commercial moves into a testimonial phase. A couple sitting there before the camera showing off their cheques totalling $7,999.86 - each, for a four month period. Blabbering on about all of the things they've bought and done with their money. Her mind runs rampant with the idea of having an extra two grand per month as the commercial plays through the disclaimers and vocalized fine print shortly after.

"Wow..." She mumbles aloud, looking around the shabby and bleak walls of her bedroom. Not only would she be able to keep up on rent and pay off her student loans quicker - but she'd even have left over money to go out with friends. Or maybe even move into a newer and nicer apartment... The things she could do with that money, it sent shivers of excitement rushing through her body.

She grins widely.

Nodding her head to herself as she decides in that moment she would go down early tomorrow morning before school to fill out an application.

How could she not? It was Cosmolex Pharmaceuticals. They had billboards all over the city - all over the country in fact. They were well established, well respected, and every pharmacy she knew of stocked their products.

The chances of it being some kind of scam were... She chuckles to herself with bubbling excitement. Null. This was perfect. A god send even. It was exactly what she needed to end this year happily and start the next one full of optimism.

Chapter End Notes:

Just a new story I've been working on for the last few days. I've got a number of chapters already written, but don't want to post it too quickly.

Hope you guys enjoy as always!