- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Interesting results of that question last time. Lot of love for Kari and Kristen but none for Jaz. Poor thing.

 

Anywho. Enjoy. The way it's looking we're at 2 more chapters to go.

 

-------

 

 

“You sure about this?” Kristen texted me nonchalantly so as to not draw attention from those around her.

 

“Positive.” I replied. After the presentation people quickly started leaving, obviously wanting nothing to do with the man who brought up unpleasant topics. In a way they actually felt like they were avoiding him entirely. Why these people even bothered going to see him if they ultimately reacted like this I’ll never know. But at least it made it easy to reach him.

 

He was situated on a table in the main library area with the same woman who was behind him during his presentation behind him now. As Kristen approached him he seemed pleasantly surprised, eagerly greeting her. “Why hello Miss. May I help you?”

 

Kristen gave him a polite, careful, respectful bow, taking extra caution not to move too much since I was in her ear. “I found your presentation very fascinating Mr. Stewart. I wanted to thank you for coming to our school.”

 

“Anytime.” He replied heartily, his voice amplified by a phone. “I always enjoy giving these talks and educating the world about this issue.”

 

“Yeah. It actually really hit home for me. You see…A friend of mine actually shrank recently and since then…”

 

“Say no more.” He quickly cut her off. “I know all too well how painful those days can be and I’m sure your friend has had it very difficult. Though with friends around I’m sure he’s in good hands.”

 

“He actually wants to meet you. If that’s alright I mean.”

 

“Of course! When and where?”

 

“Well…Here.” I expected her finger to come and sure enough it did. I hopped down and was placed on the table near Warren.

 

His eyes immediately widened at the sight of me. “Oh my. I can’t remember the last time I met someone who was actually shorter than me.” He offered a warm smile and extended his hand out. With our height differences he was twice my size. When I reached to shake his hand it felt like a child shaking a grown-up’s hand.

 

“It’s a pleasure Mr. Stewart. I’m Robert Lindley.”

 

“Please, call me Warren.” He released my hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Robert. I’m glad you enjoyed my presentation.”

 

“It was very moving. I never thought about it all like that, even when I had shrunken down. I…I don’t know. I just suddenly felt like I had to do something.”

 

Warren smiled at me, his eyes saying he understood all too well. “That feeling is the whole reason I do these things. Every once in a while a fellow shrinkee or sometimes even a normal-sized person will feel moved and start helping the cause but there are still far too many who either turn a blind eye to it or play the system.”

 

“Yeah…” I couldn’t help but think back to all the people I’d basically lost since shrinking. All the friends and family who pretty much blocked me from their lives

 

It must’ve been obvious something was on my head. A hand grabbed my shoulder and snapped me out of it, allowing me to look up at Warren’s reassuring expression. “You’ve been through a lot haven’t you? I can’t claim to know what you’ve gone through but I can safely this to you Robert. It’ll be okay. When I shrank I was convinced my life was over. I looked up stories just like the ones I brought up before and was convinced my life would be ruined. So I fought it. I did my best and I bounced back from it better than ever. Though I can’t say I did it all alone. I have my wife to thank for a lot of it.” He gestured to the woman beside him.

 

“Your wife?!” I looked up at the woman who smiled knowingly at us.

 

“Yeah. No matter how tough it got she stuck with me and that gave me the strength to do anything. You’re never as alone as you think Robert.” He nodded his head towards Kristen with a smirk. “You have people looking out for you too.”

 

“I do don’t I?”

 

“But…If for whatever reason things get too tough for you. Give me a call. I’ll help you out in a heartbeat.” He gave me his hand again. I responded with a firm shake.

 

“It’s been a pleasure to meet you Warren.”

 

“The pleasure’s all mine Robert. Now if you’ll excuse me. I’m afraid it’s about time for us to be on our way. I have another presentation tomorrow.”

 

“Never a dull moment eh?”

 

“Not at this size heavens no.” He walked away with a laugh, signaling his wife to come pick him up. Once she did they quickly left and I motioned for Kristen to do the same.

 

“He was nice.” She whispered as she slid me into her ear.

 

“Better than nice. He was amazing!” I excitedly said, hopping inside and getting cozy for the ride back. I was in a fantastic mood on the way back. But of course…something happened.

 

About twenty minutes into the drive my phone went off. I of course checked it and saw a name I did not expect. When I saw it I hurriedly answered. “Hello?”

 

“Hello. Is this Robert Lindley?” A familiar voice responded.

 

“Yes it is. Can I help you?”

 

“Yes. This is Jane Waller of the Department of Shrunken Business and Services. You visited me a month ago for your registration as a micro citizen do you remember?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“Good. Then I’ll get right to the point. We’ve found someone who can take you in.”

 

“….Oh.” I froze in place. “…That’s good.”

 

The time had finally come. I was being assigned.

 

--------

 

The next day I was back at the DSBS building, inside Jane’s office, alone. Kristen was outside the office in the main lobby area of course but for the time being it was just me and Jane.

 

“Glad you could make it Mr. Lindley.”

 

“Of course…” My mood was expectedly poor. “So where am I being assigned?” I wanted to get this over and done with as soon as possible.

 

Jane seemed to share my sentiment, answering as quickly as she could. “England. Her name is Alicia Masters. Her size preference for assistants is almost exclusively for micro-sized citizens. You’re quite lucky. We’d begun to lose hope searching.”

 

“Yeah…lucky.” I could see the warning signs a mile away about a girl who was only interested in people my size. “I uh take it there weren’t any other matches?”

 

She shook her head. “I’m afraid not. I’ve already started to file the paperwork. Come tomorrow you’ll need to report back here so we can organize your travel arrangements and get you boarded on a plane right away.” She paused briefly, apparently unsure of what she was going to say next. “I would take this next day to say goodbye to all your loved ones Mr. Lindley. This may be the last chance you’ll get to see them for a long time.”

 

“I will. Thank you.”

 

I found myself outside her office surprisingly quickly. Or maybe it was a lot longer than I realized. This felt unreal. I was actually being assigned and to a place very far away.

 

“Rob….Rob…Rob!”

 

“Y-Yes?”

 

I’d zoned out and found myself in Kristen’s hands in the car. Judging by the way she was looking at me I guessed we were talking and I wasn’t even remotely paying attention to it. “Sorry. I must’ve zoned out there. What’d you say?”

 

She frowned at me. “Like I said. We’re heading to the beach.”

 

“Oh hey the beach that sounds like fun. It’d be a good way to spend the day.”

 

“I thought so too. Let’s go ahead and get to picking everyone up.”

 

“Everyone?”

 

She didn’t answer. She only gave me a cryptic smile as she slipped me back into her ear and started the car. I didn’t mind it at all. It didn’t take a genius to figure out who everyone meant. But I was still sad. Because…well…

 

This would be my last day with my friends.