- Text Size +
June 10, 1944

'Well, we have Hitler on the run. After our boys took the beaches, the Nazis turned tail' Crackled the radio. 'The war should be over by Christmas'
"Well I hope it's over soon." Said Miss Stevenson, a young woman from Pine Cliff Montana.
"It will be." Said Mr. Berg, the Pine Cliff general store owner. "Hitler wont last long, he can't"
Just then in walked sheriff Roland. "Howdy Eddy."
"Hi Roger." Replied Mr. Berg.
"Amber." He nodded at Miss Stevenson.
"Hi Mr. Roland."
"Is that a new car I see?" Asked Mr. Berg.
"It is. The county decided my old '33 needed to retire. But anyway, is Irina here?"
"She's in the back room stacking pickle jars, I'll go get her."
"Thanks Eddy."
Mr.Berg disappeared into a doorway and a moment later he returned with Irina following.
"What did you need Sheriff?" Asked Irina.
"It's actually about Barry, that man you came to town with."
"What about him?"
"Well, exactly how long did you know him before you moved to town?" Asked Sheriff Roland, pulling up a chair and sitting on it backwards, cowboy style, resting his arms and head in the back.
"I met him on the road, about 2 weeks before I got here. So about 4 months I guess. Why do you ask."
"Well, you see, Hes been acting kind of strange. I noticed colored lights coming from inside his house at night. And Mrs. Paulla swears she saw a giant apple in his house as she drove past."
Irina was getting nervous, if they were found out she would be arrested before she could complete her task.
"That is strange." commented Mr.Berg. "So waddya going to do?"
"I'll just drive over there this evening and see what's going on."
"Its probably nothing Roger." Said Irina.
"True, but I've got a town to protect. And I don't want to take any chances...Well, It was nice chatting with you Irina." Said Roland, as he stood up.
"Bye Roger." said Mr.Berg , as Sheriff Roland walked out the door.
"I'd better get going too." said Miss Stevenson.
"Take care Miss." called Mr, Berg.
"Eddy, I'm not feeling to well, is it alright if I go home too and rest?" Asked Irina.
"Well, Ive got nothing for you to really do here, so I guess its fine. I hope you start feeling better."
"Thanks."
Irina stepped out onto the sidewalk. The fresh mountain air was truly refreshing. She started walking. Barry lived on a small hill to the north of the town. And that was where Irina was headed.
Pine Cliff was a small town of 400 people, it was located at the foot of the rocky mountains in eastern Montana. It had a general store, a bank, a sheriff and even a fire engine. It only had two roads leading into the town, and the western one was currently blocked by a mudslide. So for the moment, only one road led into the town. The town didn’t realize that this was fatal...
"You idiot!" Yelled Irina, bursting through the doors of Barry's house. "Runshtadt you moron!"
Runshtadt was startled and jumped from his chair, hitting his knee on the table, causing it to shake and the growth ray to hit the floor.
"Irina, how many times do I have to say it? Call me Barry. Do you want to give us away?"
"Give us away? Give us away!?" Irina was furious. "The sheriff will be here soon because someone saw a giant apple here! What part of lay low did you not understand!?"
"Oh..." Dr. Runshtadt looked at the floor. "They saw that huh?"
"What do you do now?" Asked Irina.
"I'm not sure."
"You need to grow me Runshtadt."
"But, you are not to attack until August!"
"We have no other choice. Grow me now!"
Runshtadt walked over to where the gun was on the floor and picked it up. "Um, Irina, I need to fix it."
"What? Why?" Asked Irina, yelling.
"When you startled me the gun fell, It broke the main fuse off."
"You idiot. Why was the weapon out in the first place? You are an idiot Runshtadt, a complete idiot!"
"I can make a new one, but it will take about an hour." replied Runshtadt.
"Hurry then! I don't know when the sheriff will arrive."
About 40 minutes passed before Irina caught a glimpse of the black and white police car driving up the road. “He’s here Runshtadt! Is the ray ready?”
“One…more…second…Ready!” Runshtadt turned and fired the gun at Irina.

Sheriff Roland turned into Barry’s driveway and turned off the car. He then opened the door and stepped out. ‘ZZZAAAAPPPP’ A loud noise from inside the house caused him to duck and pull out his revolver.
“barry? Is everything allright?” He shouted. “I need you to come outside.”
No answer…
Suddenly he heard the sound of cracking and splitting wood. He backed up and looked up as the roof of Barry’s house started lifting.
“Agh!” Irina groaned as she was being pushed up against the roof.
“Its working!” Yelled Runshtadt. “It’s working! Make the Fuhrer proud Irina!”
Irina was growing at about a foot per second. The roof started giving way as she outgrew the house. Furniture and boxes were being pushed toward the walls as her feet grew.
The roof lifted and tipped over to the side and Irina was now standing above the four walls of the house with Dr. Runshtadt standing at her toes.
Pop! Pop! Pop! Sheriff Roland was firing harmlessly at Irina’s, now 180 foot body.
“Ahh, Roger.” Said Irina playfully. “Have you shrunk?”
Realizing his bullets were doing nothing he turned to run, but Irina bent over and plucked him up.
“Well, Sheriff, youre not doing a very good job of protecting your city. Well, that doesn’t matter, soon there will be no more city.” She lifted Roland to her face and opened her mouth.
“Irina! What are you doing!?” Screamed Roland.
She didn’t answer, and proceeded to lift Roland up, over her huge mouth.
Roland took his revolver and fire the last three rounds into Irina’s eyes. This caused her to flinch and lower him a bit.
“You know what? Youre not even worth the effort.” She then dropped him over her shoulder.
She stepped her foot into the grass in front of the house and dug her toes into the earth. She felt so much power, like she could do anything, and she could. She took another step and her foot landed on the police car. The car crumpled and the doors were forced open. The weight shifted from her heel to her toes as she took another booming step, crushing the rear of the car.
“Irina! Irina!” She heard the tiny voice of Dr. Runshtadt, but she ignored it and kept walking toward the town, each step causing the ground to shake and leaving a crater in the pavement.