- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

No action in this chapter, just character development.  The next chapter will probably have some action. 

Jenn was a little bit nervous as she walked to her car.  She wanted to fit in with the girls that she'd be meeting at this  party, but she wasn't sure if she really wanted to try pot.  She drank, of course.  She went to Melford State, which had had a reputation as a party school for decades before she had been accepted there.  If she didn't drink, she would be an outcast.  Jenn had no interest in becoming an outcast, and so she drank.  Smoking marijuana was a different matter, because it was illegal.  There was no question of that.  Many of the other studens did it.  Her roommate did it, sometimes in their dormroom, to Jenn's shock and terror.  She accepted that.  It was their choice to break the law, and the consequences would be theirs, not hers.  She had never wanted to do it, but part of initiation into the sorority she was rushing involved pot, and she wanted very badly to get into this sorority.  So she decided she'd do it, just this once.  And maybe she'd even like it. 
    She got in her car, started up the engine, and drove to the sorority house.  The letters over the door-Phi Kappa Rho-were bathed in the light of the full moon that hung in the sky like a ripe piece of glowing fruit.  Jenn took a deep breath before she got out of the car.  She was more nervous than she would admit to anyone, more nervous than she would admit to herself.  As she walked up to the door to Phi Kappa Rho, she took one last look at her car.  She'd gotten the old Nissan for her 16th birthday, before she'd ever touched alcohol, before she had lost her virginity (which she had done in the car, in fact) or even made out with a guy, and now...well, now she drank three nights a week and had hooked up with four guys her first semester.  The innocent girl whoe parents had entrusted her with the privilege & responsibility of a car was a memory now, really.  So much had happened.  So much had changed.  When she had gotten that car, she had been a girl.  Now, she was a woman, in her own eyes and the eyes of the law and, she knew, in the eyes of many men and probably a few women, too. 
    As she looked at the car in the light of the full moon, Jenn realized that she had been lying to herself for quite some time about who she was.  Sartre would call it bad faith, misjudgment of one's own nature.  Jenn had been playing the part of the sinless & pure Eve long after she had left Eden, long after she had given up her innocence.  She had been in denial for at least the past six months, since she arrived at Melford State and she'd gotten wasted on pineapple-flavored Rubinoff and fucked the guy that lived next door to her.  She remembered waking up the next morning, not remembering what had happened the night before, a pounding headache raging between her ears, and turning over in bed to see her new neighbor.  The shame she felt at that moment was something she didn't think she would ever forget, and now, she realized that that was the moment she had become a new person.  High school was over, and college was an entirely different world.  Jenn had adapted to this new world by changing, and the change had been slow, taking all of last semester, but now it was almost done.  Jenn walked through the door and into the sorority, fully conscious of herself for who and what she was for the first time in months.   She was ready and, for the first time, eager to try pot.

Chapter End Notes:

Not sure when the next update willl be.