- Text Size +

Noah went to lunch and sat with the same group of friends he always did.  He had known each one of them ever since middle school, and they had become almost inseparable.  There was Kevin, Eddy, Lucas, and Justin. 

            Lunch went by rather quickly.  Zach didn’t make to many comments, although he did get in one or two remarks about Justin’s completely messy hair, and Kevin’s uncanny ability to hold a straight face no matter how funny a joke. 

            “So guys, you want to hang out today?”  Eddy asked.  Noah had completely forgotten that today was actually Friday.  Everything had been so strange it completely slipped his mind.  What a nice surprise. 

            The whole table agreed that hanging out sounded like fun.  Noah was about to speak, but was stopped before he had a chance.

            “Say you can’t.”  Zack said.

            “Why?”  Noah quickly thought back.

            “Trust me, I have a plan.” 

            “Oh no.  Last time you got me killed!”

            “This will be different.”

            “I still don’t trust it.”

            “I can always say no for you.  Or something worse.  Maybe you accidently blurt out that you have a crush on Justin.  Maybe you just say you can’t hang out.”  Noah was reluctant, but he knew when he was beaten.  Truth or not, he didn’t want Zack doing anything that embarrassing.  He just had to agree. 

            “Sorry guys.  I can’t today.”

            “Why?”  They asked with a moan.

            “Yeah come on!”  Kevin said.  “Its so nice out.  What do you have to do?”

            It was beautiful outside.  It was just about summertime, and the weather was supposed to get into the 80’s this week, which was perfect since the whole group was going to go to the beach on Saturday. 

            “I have some stuff to do.  I just can’t.” 

            “Well you’ll still be coming to the beach right?”  Lucas asked. 

            “Tell them no.”  Zack butted in again.

            “Why not!”

            “Because I said so, now say it!”

            “Sorry, I can’t hang out all weekend.”

            “What!”  The whole table exclaimed in unison. 

            “Sorry I just can’t.  Can we leave it at that?” 

            The group was disappointed with Noah’s decision, but that got over it quickly enough.  Soon they were talking about other things, leaving Noah to wonder what Zack was planning.  Zack didn’t answer.

            Eighth period was quickly drawing to a close.  It was the last period of the day.  The last period until the weekend, and the fun beach trip he wasn’t allowed to go on.  He was still trying to work out what it was that Zack was planning for him. 

            The bell rang, and a mass of people flowed out the door hungry for the freedom that is the weekend.  Noah followed them, but not as quickly as he usually would.  When he was almost outside he heard that all to familiar voice.

            “Now duck into the bathroom again.”  Noah had learned that Zack would always get his way no matter how much he protested, so he just did as he was told.  He quickly went into a stall and waited for Zack to tell him what to do next.  “You ready?”

            “For what?”  Noah asked back.

            “Your going on that beach trip.”

            “Really?” Noah asked, more than a little surprised. 

            “Yep, but not in the same fashion anyone else is going.”  He could tell this is where the plan got messy.  “I’m going to turn you into a bug.  Then your going to stowaway with your friends!” 

            “Your planning to have my friends step on me!”  Noah exclaimed in his head. 

            “Wow, didn’t think you would catch on so quickly, but yeah.”

            “I really don’t want to.”

            “Tell you what.  I’ll make you a deal.   You only have to stay small until you can get one of your friends to help you.”

            “And how is a bug supposed to do that?”

            “Good point.  New plan!  You’re not going to be a bug.  I’m just going to shrink you.”

            “Well that’s not much better.”

            “To bad.  And in order for it to count as ‘help’ who ever finds you has to say the following words.  ‘Noah, I am big and you are small, with my help you will grow tall.’  Easy.”

            “Does it have to rhyme?”

            “Yes.  Do we have a deal?”

            “Do I have a choice?”

            “Nope.  None at all.”

            “Then fine.  Shrink me down scotty.”

            “Funny.”

            “Thanks.  I try.”

            With that last terrible pun, Zack went to work shrinking Noah.  It was not difficult.  It only required rearranging some molecules, deleting so cells.  The usual.  By the end of it, Noah was only a half-inch tall.  Just a tiny boy in a giant bathroom, destined to be stepped on by his best friends. 

            “You better get going, your friends are probably going to leave soon!”

            “Wait, how am I going to get outside.  The door is like a mile away!”

            “Don’t worry tiny, I’ll give you wings.  But only until you find your friends.  Then your stuck with your two slow legs.  Suddenly a pair a feathered wings sprouted out of Noah’s back.  He stretched them out, impressed at how beautiful they looked, even in the poor light of the bathroom.  He didn’t know if wings would actually allow him to fly, but what the hell, why not? 

            He flapped his new appendages, and to his surprise he actually lifted into the air.  He was so thrilled.  This was amazing!  He quickly flew under the door of the stall and into the hallway, still filled with people.  He didn’t care; he simply flew high above them.  He quickly dove out of the main doors and headed of to the left, where his friends usually met.  He saw three of them, and Kevin was walking their way now.  Not a moment to soon.  Then Noah’s wings disappeared.  He was still flying above his friends when it happened, sending him through the air, landing quit suddenly of the hard ground a few feet away from the circle, and unknowingly right in the path of Kevin. 

            Noah had to admit it didn’t hurt as much as he thought it would.  Zack must have been reducing the pain.  At least that was nice.  He was laying with his back on the hard packed dirt, momentarily unaware of anything around him.  He was looking up at the bright summer sun as it shone down onto his little body.  Then Kevin’s foot blocked out the light.  He suddenly realized where he was, but it was to late to do anything.  Kevin’s basketball shoe hung above him for a second.  Noah saw tiny blades of grass stuck between the small grooves of his shoe.  He saw tiny patches of dirt and mud.  Then it came down on him. 

            At first he thought the pressure wasn’t that bad, but it steadily grew.  Within an instant it was close to the pain he had felt only a few hours ago.  He could feel his body breaking under the enormous weight of his friend.  His organs popping out.  His body taking the shape of Kevin’s sole.  Then Kevin lifted up his foot.  Noah was stuck to the bottom.

            He stayed conscious as his body raised into the air.  His friend was crushing him, and he didn’t even know.  Kevin slammed his foot back to the earth, crushing tiny little Noah even more.  The circle of friends opened up to let Kevin find a spot.  He took one more step with Noah plastered to the bottom of his foot, and then simply stood on him.

            Noah was going through hell.  It was worse than when the other kid had stepped on him.  The pain was more manageable, but his best friend was crushing him!   

            Kevin didn’t move around much after that, leaving Noah still crushed beneath him.  Pain was washing through Noah’s body.  He didn’t know how he was still conscious.  He didn’t know how he was still alive!

            “Wow, didn’t expect you to get crushed this badly!” Zack stated plainly and calmly. 

            “I hate you.”  Noah managed to reply through the pain.   Zack just laughed in the background of his skull. 

            Kevin continued to stand on his little friend for a few more minutes.  Eventually the group decided on where to do today.  It wasn’t anything special.  They were just going to walk around the mall for a bit. 

            The group started walking to Eddy’s car.  He was the only one with a license, so he also got stuck driving people around.  Noah was still stuck to Kevin’s shoe.  Even as he stepped into the backseat. 

            Although Noah’s face was molded into Kevin’s sole, he had an idea about what was happening.  He could feel the fabric of the car underneath him.  Luckily Kevin had spread his legs out so only the side of his foot was resting on the ground, taking all the pressure off of Noah’s crippled body. 

            Noah managed to fall off the giant’s shoe a few minutes into the trip.  He laid on the fabric floor, and waited a moment before getting up.  He knew he had to make a plan.  He knew he needed a way to get his friends attention, but for now all he wanted to do was get away.  Get away from the giant’s who crushed him.  Away from all the dangers of being tiny.  Away from this torturous ghost who was only causing problems!