- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Author's note:

[So, I started the first eight chapters of this story about six months ago.  Unlike with The Glade, my intent was to complete the story before publishing it, rather than making it up as I went along.  This was good, as it allowed me to go back and make changes to the plot as needed.  Unfortunately, I hit a writer's block and shelved the story.  I'm going to be posting these chapters in short succession, with the hope that doing so and hearing your feedback will help me brainstorm the ending!]

A solitary leaf flittered back and forth in the wind as it grasped onto its branch.  Despite its resistance and reluctance to let go, the wind proved to be convincing.  Releasing its grip upon the limb, the orange-red leaf soared through the air as it plummeted to the ground to join its fellow brethren who had fallen before it.  

Another sign of autumn.

If one were to witness this particular leaf, however, they would notice with their eyes something peculiarly different about it.  As it drew closer to the ground, a witness would squint and see that there was something attached to the leaf.  Perhaps it was a benign growth or a fungus?  No, it did not look like it was vegetation.  An insect?  It did not resemble any small creature, either.

Falling closer to that person’s eye level, they would see that the enigma was far stranger than they could ever imagined: it was a very small man!  The young man was no more than two inches high, with a mop of brown curls atop his head.  The wind tousled his wavy locks as it blew through his hair, framing the excited smile upon his face.  He held onto both sides of the leaf as it flipped through the air, zigging and zagging back and forth with ever increasing speed.  

Just as it was about to crash into the pile of leaves at the base of the tree, the little man did something even more astonishing.  Seeing the ground approaching, he did not exhibit any fear.  Instead, he let go of the edges of the leaf and quickly balanced his footing upon it.  “Surfing” through the air for a few moments, at the very last second he leapt from his mount, assumed the position of a reverse swan dive, then plunged into the leafy stack below.

Had anyone been there to watch this event unfold, they would have perhaps heard a small voice from within the pile of leaves.  He was laughing.

~+~+~

Vincent had spent the last few months exploring the land.  His spirits remained high during that time, despite his separation from Susanna.  He had been alone most of his life, but had never really understood the idea of loneliness before, as he had never experienced companionship.  His ignorance had been bliss.  Fortunately, there had been several times when they had been reunited since that fateful, life-changing weekend last spring.  As difficult and dreaded as her departure had been, it was necessary.  Susanna had to return to her city and to her family and to her responsibilities--all things that she wished that she could have abandoned back then, but in her heart, she simply couldn’t.  

Both she and Vincent very much wished that she could spend every weekend at Cairnbridge, and at first, she did.  However, as the summer progressed, her visits became fewer and farther between.  This was not because of a lack of desire and Vincent knew this.  Susanna’s heart belonged there in those woods.  Her problems were more financial in nature.  She lived a few hours’ journey from Cairnbridge and the trips back and forth were not inexpensive.  Her own salary was meager, and while she could herself afford the occasional trip, she found herself asking her father for monetary assistance.  

Susanna’s father was a moderately successful man who was very much committed to his family and to his heritage.  Cairnbridge was as important to him as any of the members of his family.  He was very proud that Susanna had grown to love the place as much as he did.  As such, whenever she had first asked for help affording the travel expense to visit the property, he eagerly obliged.  Though the manor legally belonged to his late brother’s children, the land was claimed by all of the extended family.  If Susanna wanted to visit, then it was her right to do so.

It was difficult for him to make the decision to limit her travel budget.  The train fare was racking up, though, and he simply could not continue providing for her weekly expenses.  It truly did affect him to see his beloved daughter near the edge of tears when he broke this news to her.  She would understand in time, but her face was utterly crestfallen.  Had he the power, he would have given the manor to her, and she would stay there at all times.  She would certainly treat it better than his nieces and nephews!  Her cousins did not share the same passion for Cairnbridge as his side of the family had demonstrated.  And yet, it was his older brother that was the heir.  Not much could be done.

By the time the heat of the summer was fading away, Susanna was visiting Vincent about twice a month.  On those weekends, they took full advantage of their time together.  Vincent always had a new cave, or a previously undiscovered waterfall, or some hidden orchard that he had found and eagerly wanted to show Susanna.  He had been quite the intrepid explorer and just as he had promised, he wanted to report everything to her.

Then she would leave again.  

Vincent thought that after a few times, it would get easier.  It didn’t.  It got harder.  Every day he spent with Susanna, their love for each other grew more and more.  What started off as attraction and affection had become something much deeper than that.  It was something that neither of them had known before.  In truth, it was even more an uncharted territory than the great forest.  Susanna was a part of his life now and when she departed, he was left with a tender void.

It had been four weeks since Susanna had last come to Cairnbridge.  Vincent could not believe his ears when she broke the news to him that her absence would be that long.  He did not understand it and she could not explain it very well.  Her own finances were spent.  By now, she was relying on her father more than she would really care to do.  He was a generous man, but she did not want to appear to be taking advantage of his benevolence.  Moreover, this last time she asked him for travel money, he willingly granted it; however, he let her know that it would be the only time this month he could do so.  He himself was going to be doing a lot of traveling that month and could not afford to offer much more.

“I still don’t understand why you just can’t stay here with me...” pouted Vincent when Susanna told him.

“Vincent!  Yes you do understand.  We’ve discussed this many times before.”

“I know!  I know you don’t like it any more than I do,” he responded, then sighed.  “I just wish it were different.”

“So do I, my dear Vincent,” Susanna said, scooping him up in her hand and tenderly bringing him to her face for a kiss on the head.  “So do I.”

~+~+~

When he emerged from the pile of leaves, Vincent looked up into the sky and spotted the sun.  Judging by its position in the sky, it was already a few hours passed noon.  He needed to hurry.  Susanna was coming soon!

Leaping from the ground, he flew through the air and up above the treetops.  He spied across the land and could see Cairnbridge Manor off in the distance.  It was perhaps ten miles away from where he was now.  Even at his fastest speed, it would take him several minutes to get there.  He did not want to appear disheveled and exhausted, though, so he would take his time.  If he were expedient, he could be still there around the time she arrived.

After flying through the air at a moderate pace for quite some time, Vincent ducked down below the canopy of trees and set himself down upon a rock overlooking the creek that ran by Cairnbridge Manor.  He always wanted to look at least a little presentable whenever Susanna came back, so he quickly doused himself with water.  Flowing from the mountains to the north, the water was no longer as warm as it had been during the summer.

“I cannot believe another winter will be upon us soon,” Vincent muttered under his breath as he washed the dirt off his body.  He did not look forward to winters.  The forest was not as hospitable of a place during that time of year.  

With a smile, Vincent closed his eyes.  He flicked his wrist and when he looked, a ball of flame danced between his fingertips.  He had been practicing his newly acquired skill and had grown quite adept at it.  Having the power to kindle fire at will would be very handy during the coming months...

As Vincent finished up his quick rinse, he heard a soft noise in the distance.  It was barely perceptible, but to sensitive ears that had been trained to listen for predators and other dangers, it was very audible. He was not concerned, however, for he knew what the sound was.  It was the sound of footsteps and crunching leaves.

“Susanna!” he exclaimed.

Her train must have arrived early.  Judging by the distance of the sound, she was just now entering the forest a few hundred feet beyond the trees.  He could not see her yet, but raced towards her direction.  Leaping from the creek, he ran through the air (as he was apt to do), leaping from tree limb to tree limb with acrobatic skill.  As he ran, he fixed his hair, but tried not to appear too eager and anticipating.

Before long, he could see Susanna’s form beyond the trees.  Many of the leaves had already fallen, so there was not much to conceal her from his sight.  It had been far too long since he had laid eyes on his beautiful lady.  He could never forget what the woman from his dreams looked like, though he was now questioning the power of his memory.  Susanna looked very much the same as always...but not completely.  Vincent could not pinpoint what it was that was different about her.  Was it her hair?  Had she done something different with her hair?  He could not tell.  

As Vincent grew closer, he grew more and more excited.  Though he tried to mask his anticipation, it was no longer possible.  His smile was beaming and his heart was racing.  He hoped that Susanna was just as excited.  As it were, it was difficult to tell.  She was walking slowly and carefully into the woods.  It was a little peculiar, but not unusual.  She might have been tired from her journey, or perhaps she just wanted to admire the many colors of the autumn leaves.

“Susanna!  Susanna, you’re here!” Vincent cried out with joy as he rested upon a tree branch near where she was.

She looked up to see where the voice was coming from.  Scanning her surroundings, her eyes fell at last upon the very small man leaping through the branches.  Her face turned from wonder to confusion.  Her eyes shot wide open and she placed her hand over her mouth as she gasped.

This confusion was passed on to Vincent as he stood in mid-air in front of her nose.  

Vincent realized very quickly that he had made a very big mistake:

“You’re not Susanna!”