- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I apologize for the short chapter. It just seemed best to set this one aside from the next scenario. :) I hope the pacing isn't too slow but Kate plays an enormous (pun slightly intended) part in Emma's life and I want show how their relationship builds. 

Prepare yourselves... we got a long way to go. ;) 

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL COMPLIMENTS!! I HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO ENJOY THE STORY!!

Chapter 5

 

Emma had finally managed to keep herself upright in the sink but let Kate help wash her. Kate was very professional in that she didn’t linger in one spot or try to make Emma feel uncomfortable in any way. Emma would blush a few times but then just brush it off.

While Emma relaxed, Kate had retrieved a small comb from her vanity in hopes that she could bring some life back to the mangled mess of hair on the tiny girl’s head.

“I’m afraid I can’t do much about these tangles.”

Emma sighed in response, keeping her eyes closed as she floated. “Don’t worry about it. I gave up a long time ago.”

Kate pursed her lips in thought. “Be right back.”

“Mm.”

Kate turned and walked down the hallway to her bedroom. She rummaged through her closet until she found a women’s grooming kit she had purchased at a beauty supply store some time before. She grabbed the item she was looking for and made her way back to the kitchen.

“Let’s see what we can do about these locks, eh?”

Emma opened her eyes and gazed at the instrument in Kate’s hand. “What is that?”

“It’s a razor comb.”

“Oh…” Emma closed her eyes again. “I always wondered what it would be like to be bald…”

Kate chuckled and reached down into the water with her free hand, unplugging the drain. Emma immediately opened her eyes and tried to find her footing on the slippery sink floor.

“It’s alright. I got you.” Kate placed her hand on Emma’s back and slowly guided her to the side of the sink. There, she let her rest against it while she chopped away at Emma’s hair.

Emma began to shiver as the water slowly drained away but she didn’t complain. She remained as still as she could while the giant hands worked on her hair. She watched as her own hair fell around her in clumps.

“There. That’s better.” Kate set the comb on the kitchen counter and turned the faucet again so that the warm water spilled back into the sink Emma was in.

“Hold on to me.” Kate order as she placed her open hand sideways so that her palm was facing the little girl. Emma pushed away from the edge of the sink and wrapped an arm around Kate’s thumb as she was guided back to the stream of warm water. She leaned against the open hand as Kate massaged her scalp under the faucet and then shampooed and rinsed it again.

“Mm.” Emma moaned softly and had to force herself to stay awake.

Kate turned the water off with her free hand and gently wrapped her fingers around Emma, bringing her up out of the sink. Still holding onto her, Kate opened the drawer just to the left of the sink and pulled out a hand-towel which she used to drape around the shivering girl.  She gently patted and rubbed Emma within the towel to help dry her off a bit and then scooped her up into her arms, towel and all.

Emma nestled down into the towel, fighting sleep. She was so exhausted from the day’s events, including the emotional highs and lows. While she was very happy to have found Kathryn Harvest, she still didn’t trust her completely. Who knew what tomorrow would hold.

Kate carried Emma back into the guest room and gently laid her onto the bed. She was careful not to dislodge the towel as she adjusted her hold.

“There we go.” Kate almost cooed. “I’m going to go wash your clothes so you’ll have something clean to wear in the morning.”

Emma reached a hand up to her head and felt her thinner and much lighter hair.

“Thank you. Do uh… do you happen to have something I can wear until then? To sleep in?”

Kate frowned, apologetically. “I’m afraid I don’t. You’ll have to - oh wait! I may have something that will work! Be right back!” She grinned and spun on her heel.

Emma lifted her other hand from the towel, making it slide down her body a ways, and rubbed both hands through her hair. It felt so weird to be able to do that and she almost moaned again as her aching scalp welcomed the massage. She wondered what she looked like now, but at the same time, she really didn’t care.

As Kate returned, Emma quickly grabbed hold of the towel again and pulled it up around her chin.

Kate didn’t seem to notice for she merely grinned and held up what looked like a piece of light blue fabric.

“This came off of one of my teddy bears in my room. It’s about your size.” She walked forward and set the dress on the bed beside Emma. “Go ahead and try it on! I’ll give you some privacy.” And with that, she turned and left the room again.

Emma eyed the open doorway. She wasn’t sure why she was being so shy. After all, Kate had already seen her nude and had actually BATHED her.

Emma let go of the towel and crawled on hands and knees over to the strip of blue. She took hold of it and held it up to her shoulders. It was big but felt very comfortable. She quickly slipped it over her head and looked back down at herself.

The dress was sleeveless and very wide and long. It came down a little below her ankles and she knew she’d stumble if she had to walk around with it on. The neck opening was wide and she had to fight to keep the straps on her shoulders. Not to mention the sides of her breasts were visible through the wide armholes.

“You decent, sweetheart?”

Emma adjusted her new nightgown as best as she could and called out, shyly. “Uh huh.”

Kate rounded the corner and came through the door once more, her smile still present. “Aww. That color looks fabulous on you! I see it’s a bit big though, huh?”

Emma nodded and continued to clutch onto the shoulder straps on the dress.

“Well, I’m no seamstress but I could probably adjust it for you. It just needs some taking in.”

Emma flinched infinitesimally as the giant hands reached towards her, making Kate halt.

“Oh. I’m sorry.” She quickly lowered her hands. “I was just going to see how to adjust it. But that can wait until morning. I’m sure you’re still t-… Emma?”

Emma was so tired and stressed. Her emotions were still on a rocky roller coaster and she just wondered when she was going to be able to get off… and get back home. Tears fell quicker than she could wipe them away.

Kate was at a complete loss. She sat on the end of the bed looking helplessly at her little friend. She knew Emma had to be frightened and confused but she didn’t know what she could say or do to try and ease that. She tried anyway…

“Oh, Emma, I know you’re scared. I’m so sorry. I wish there was something I could do to… Look, you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to. I’m not going to turn you in and I won’t keep you here if you don’t want to be here. I can take you back to the park or… or wherever you want to go. Okay?”

Emma began to cry harder, collapsing onto the pillow she had been kneeling next to.

Kate wanted so desperately to reach out and scoop her up and caress her and kiss her and tell her everything was going to be okay but she held herself back.

“Do you want to be alone, dear? Would you like me to leave?”

Emma, who had been unresponsive before, nodded while she wept.

Kate knew not to feel hurt. Emma just needed some time and space.

“Okay, dear. My room is two doors down from here. I will leave both doors open so you can yell if you need me. Goodnight.”

She slowly stood up from the bed and leaned over, taking hold of the wet towel. Then she turned and walked back out of the room

 

Emma wept until there were no tears left. Then she hiccupped, sobbed well into the night until she finally passed out from exhaustion.

 

Kate tossed and turned in her bed, worry etched across her brow as she slept.