- Text Size +

***

The priestess spoke with a greek accent that had a smooth, lyrical tone to it. "Livia, my... soon-to-be goddess, I welcome you to the inner sanctum of this temple, as well as to myself.  I offer myself to you, body and spirit. I am unworthy to serve you, but if you will accept me, I will dedicate my life to your servitude. If you would not have me, say the word and I will strike myself down, for a life spent outside of your glory is worse than death. Sooner would I tred through ten thousand fires for you than--"

"You may serve me as High Priestess, thank you. I've heard the Oath of Servitude too many times before. " 

The Priestess spoke with a mix of elation and relief. "Yes! I mean, yes, your grace, thank you for allowing me this great honor. As your high priestess, I will dedicate every moment of my life to your glory and your pleasure, though I am not fit to lick the bottom of your sandal. Now if it pleases you, I can begin the ceremony when you are ready."

"It would please me to know the details of the ceremony before we begin."

"Forgive me, your grace, for although I will dedicate my life to following your every whim, I am bound by duty to maintain the mysteries of the Coronation ceremony, even to you. If it is any consolation, you will know soon enough."

"Priestess... Can you just tell me what is expected of me during the ceremony?"

"I am sorry, soon-to-be goddess, but the laws of my order, and my very vows to you, prohibit me from doing so." 

"And there's no way to make an exception? To the one you promised to serve?"

"I'm sorry, your grace, but no."

Livia sighed. "...Very well, I suppose. But can you at least tell me your name, Priestess?"

"I gave up my name when I became your humble servant. I have no name, save for my title: High Priestess."

"I'm sure that I'll get tired of calling you High Priestess all the time. What was your name before?"

"I am unworthy to have any name of mine spoken of by a goddess, but since you ask, I was known as... Anastasia."

"Very well then, Anastasia. Now I suppose we may as well begin the ceremony. Oh, and Anastasia... you may look upon me." 

Anastasia looked upon Livia for the first time. She looked awestruck, as if she had just laid eyes on a goddess. Or at least, thought Livia, a soon-to-be one.  It took the priestess a moment to compose herself and continue speaking. "You do me a great honor, soon-to-be goddess. When you are ready, I may begin the ceremony."

"Very well... I'm ready." Ready as I'm going to be, that is, thought Livia.

***

Anastasia led Livia down the long hallway, to a small pedestal near the gigantic statue of the princess. What an odd feeling, thought Livia, to feel dwarfed by yourself. Sitting on the pedestal was a goblet, not half as large as the one from the sham coronation earlier. It would have been huge to a man, but for Livia it seemed tiny. Is this it, wondered Livia, all I have to drink? 

The priestess stood at one side of the pedestal. Livia took the cue to stand on the opposite side of the pedestal, facing towards her. As she gazed down onto the priestess, Livia realized that a part of her feared the woman. A woman who was barely more than half her height, a woman who had dedicated her life to serving Livia, a woman who had averted her gaze until commanded otherwise... and a woman, thought Livia, who was guiding me down a path I long ago promised not to walk. Perhaps fearing her isn't so insane after all. 

Livia looked Anastasia over. She seemed strong-willed, and yet didn't seem to be the self-denying type; if anything, quite the opposite. She had the soft features and full figure of a woman who loves to indulge in good food, among other pleasures. Yet she wasn't obese, and certainly wasn't ugly; again, quite the opposite. She had a beautiful face, and the softness of her face made her look more youthful than Livia suspected she actually was. And through her thick robes, Livia could make out curves that hinted at an hourglass figure. And she had a certain air about her, one of experience and posterity. With her refined Greek accent, she was  clearly born into the upper-classes. Livia wondered if she would know any of the Athenian elite, someone who could help her meet people who were involved with the Abolition movement. But that would be a matter for another time. 

"Let the Coronation ceremony begin." The priestess looked up at Livia; she had to bend her head far back to do so. "So," the Priestess asked, "are you ready to become a Goddess?" 

Livia hesitated a moment, before saying "Yes."

"Then the Wine will be prepared." Anastasia picked up a small jar from the ground. She lifted it up above the goblet and tilted it on its side. Red wine poured out, wine that had an unnatural sparkle to it. Spicewine, thought Livia, before she remembered that the mock-spicewine had looked exactly the same. 

"Now drink, and become a goddess." Livia took the goblet, and stared into the oddly glowing wine. Again, it bathed her face and arms in a red glow, but even in the bright light of the temple's fires, it seemed to glow stronger than the mock-spicewine. Little dots sparkled in the wine, circling about like fireflies. Again, they glowed brighter than the other wine. Livia hoped it wasn't real Spicewine, but she knew better. And she knew she had to drink. Well, she thought, Here goes. Closing her eyes, Livia raised the cup to her lips, and took her first sip.