- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
To all those that have waited, I am sorry. I had exams for over two weeks, and couldn't get any privacy while on break. Started this back up today and hope you guys enjoy.
“I would highly recommend that you head to the ancient ruins of Regalia, if you want to unlock his secret that is.” Atticus said while standing.

“Come, the paperwork should be ready now.” said Atticus walking towards the door.

Getting off the ground, Terra followed Atticus through the house. Ducking under several doorways, Terra admired several paintings of the surrounding areas. She also noticed several vases with exotic plants in them. Going under the last doorway, she found herself in the mayor’s back yard. In the center of the yard was an eight foot pole with a chain like pulley at the top. Terra wondered what this was for. In the far corner of the yard was a small shack with smoke coming out of the chimney. A pile of coal and wood was laid in a pile beside the shack. Standing off to the side was Phillip, standing beside a table with a small box and some paper on it. Icarus was standing off to the side with the maid from earlier. Walking up to the table, Atticus pushed his glasses up and cleared his throat.

“First we must state the terms for the purchase of Icarus. Phillip has agreed with Terra on the price two hundred gold for this slave. Do you both agree?” asked Atticus.

Both Terra and Phillip agreed.

“Now then, could you please give me your ring and sign here Phillip.” asked Atticus with his hand stretched out.

Taking a small golden ring off his hand, Phillip deposited it into Atticus’ palms, and continued to sign the paper. After checking the paperwork, Atticus cleared his throat again.
“Now it is time for the inspection. If you would, could you come over here with me?” stated Atticus pointing at Terra and Icarus.

Walking towards the poll, Atticus instructed Icarus to get undressed. After hesitating, Icarus blushed a light red as he started to discard one piece of clothing at a time. Within moments, Icarus stood in front of the group in nothing, but a rag to cover his nether region. Gently taking his hands, Atticus cuffed them together with a chain and attached it to the pole. Making small adjustments to where Icarus was standing with his arms outstretched above his head, Atticus finally continued.

“Terra, please inspect every inch of Icarus to make sure that you are still willing to buy him.”

Getting down on her knees, Terra started her inspection. Delicately using her hands, Terra traced her fingers along his ribcage, feeling every bone that was visible. Along his right side was a large, swollen purple patch. Terra felt Icarus twitch as her hands made contact. After checking his front, Terra gently twirled him around. She was appalled, not by the palm size mark on his right shoulder, but by what else she saw. Running down Icarus’ back was numerous faint lines, barely visible unless you looked closely. This wasn’t as shocking as the other lines that seemed to have happened fairly recently. There were easily twenty or so cuts on his back from being flogged not too long ago. Terra decided that she was done. After agreeing again on the price, Terra signed her name on the paper.

“Would you like a personal symbol or one of the ones that we already have?” asked Atticus.

Deciding that she wanted to get this done with, Terra chose a circle surrounding a tree. Moments later Atticus called to Frank who brought out a hot rod in his hands. After fidgeting with the ring, Atticus handed it to Terra as he took the small box over to Icarus. Terra was about to ask what she was going to do with a small ring, when it started to expand in her hand. Within seconds, the ring was big enough to fit her finger. Under closer inspection, Terra Found the symbol that she picked out was already on the face of the ring. Putting the ring on her finger Terra quickly followed behind Atticus.

Making their way over to Icarus, Atticus knelt down and opened the box. He pulled out a small bottle filled up with a dark red liquid. Adjusting the chain to where Icarus was standing up against the pole, Atticus pressed a clothed bar into Icarus mouth. Using a rag, Atticus lightly soaked the rag with the potion. He then quickly rubbed the rag against the marking on Icarus’ right shoulder. Almost instantly Icarus started to thrash about as the potion did its’ job. Quickly grabbing his other shoulder and hip, Terra held him in place, so that he couldn’t hurt himself. The only sounds being made was the light sizzling of the potion, and the agonizing moans coming from him. Moments later, the area that the potion touched was completely healed. If Terra hadn’t known better, then she would have believed that nothing was ever there to begin with.

Feeling all resistance fade, Terra looked back at Icarus. Terra could feel her heart breaking. Icarus’ eyes seemed glazed over and unfocused as tears continued to run down his face. His legs were shaking to support his weight and his breath was labored. Tears were starting to form in Terra’s eyes when she felt a nudge on her shoulder. Looking up, she saw Atticus with a somber expression.

“In order to finalize this, you have to be the one to mark him as his new master.” said Atticus.

After arguing for a few moments, Terra took the hot iron carefully from Frank. Holding him still with one hand, Terra felt tears running down her face as she pushed the metal into Icarus’ back. At that moment, the air was filled with a high pitch scream as the clothed bar fell to the ground. Terra could have sworn in the back of her mind that she felt a deep feeling of pain. It quickly disappeared as she pulled the iron away. Hanging limp in the chains, Icarus seemed to have lost consciousness. Wiping tears away from her face, Terra removed her cloak to gently wrap around his body. Taking the chains off his hands, Terra carried Icarus back towards the house.

After handing over the promised amount, Terra was glad that Phillip made a quick leave. She didn’t know if she could control herself if he stayed for another second. She was joined a few moments later in the library by Atticus who brought in some hot water and bandages. Taking her time, Terra started to gently clean up Icarus’ back so that she could bandage it.

“I’m sorry for what you had to go through.” said Atticus talking to both of his guests.

“It’s ok, I promise that he’ll never have to go through that again.” vowed Terra.

Terra and Atticus continued to discuss what she was going to do next. Offering a room at his house until they left, Atticus was more than happy to oblige. They would off towards Regalia once Icarus was back on his feet. Once they were there, maybe she could find some answers as to what he is. Feeling a barely noticeable tingle at the back of her mind, Terra quickly ignored it as Icarus started to wake in her lap. Feeling glad as Icarus stated becoming aware of his surrounding, she heard a slight grunt as he stopped trying to move.

“Are you okay Icarus?” asked Terra gently brushing some hair out of his eyes.

In the back of her mind, Terra heard a quite reply.

It hurts, but I’ve had worse.