- Text Size +
3 years earlier

Pushing some branches out of her way, Terra looked down the road as she started off on her first adventure. Her hometown of Mordin was miles behind the young adventurer. It was a bit difficult for Terra to part ways with the village, but she needed to go out and make a name for herself. If she had stayed she would have just been living underneath of her sister’s shadow. Some of the towns folk were already talking about Lily becoming the next Bastior within a couple of years time. This annoyed Terra since the only thing that Lily had going for her was her immense size.

Other than finally feeling free from an overprotective mother, and affectionate little sister, the absolute best part was the fact that Terra had no one to look up to. Terra had been told that even she would tower over the tallest of humans, but when you are half the size of a regular giant it was hard to believe. It wasn’t until she passed her first caravan that the joy of seeing all the small folk made Terra feel a bit more confident.

Everytime that Terra would come upon a regular human they would quickly go towards the other side of the road and try to avoid eye contact. It was a bit disheartening to see the way that people were afraid of her, but none of this made any difference to her. With the homemade hide and club in hand, Terra was ready to find her first job.

Luck was on the half giant’s side as the first village that Terra visited was currently having a problem with a small band of orcs raiding the caravan highway. At ten gold pieces a head it was the perfect start for Terra to rack up some coin. Fast forward fourteen hours and Terra’s luck began to tell a completely different story.

Terra had somehow snuck up on the orc camp during the middle of the night. The orcs were all gathered around a fire eating only the gods know what when Terra launched her surprise attack. It seemed like a great idea considering that the tallest amongst them only came up to Terra’s upper stomach. With a fierce yell Terra broke through the woodline and charged the orcs with her club held high.

A mighty swing caught one orc upside the head as it fell towards the ground. A sickening crunch was heard on impact as the orc laid lifeless by the fire. Terra turned towards the next one and hit him full on in the chest. This caused the orc to fly back six feet onto the ground. The blow had taken the wind out of the creature, but it was still alive thanks to its armor. By this time the orcs had regained their senses and took the offensive. Terra was able to dodge a couple of blows, or just simply push her attackers away with some effort. Unfortunately a couple blows did land that stung a great deal. The orcs had clubs of their own which packed more of a wallop than Terra had imagined. It was as soon as Terra unleashed her third attack that the battle quickly turned out of her favor. A deafening crack was heard through the clearing as Terra broke her club across an orcs stomach.

Seeing as how her only weapon was gone, the young warrior turned straight to her fists. The fight lasted for a few more minutes until Terra found herself pinned to the ground and heavily bruised. The thought of dying on her first mission was aggravating as the orcs considered their options. It was at this time that the leader fell forward with an arrow protruding from his eye socket.

The sound of dozens of rough voices joined the campsite as short armored warriors entered the clearing. Leading the charge was a red bearded dwarf wearing a helmet in the form of a ram’s head. Terra watched how the warriors quickly routed and defeated their much taller foes. The furiosity the leader fought with had impressed Terra greatly. Terra brought herself into a sitting position thanks to a female dwarf helping her up. The leader approached her and tore off his helmet before eyeing the young adventurer.

“What is a wee lass such as yourself doing in this neck of the woods?” asked the dwarf. Terra soon learned that the dwarfs name was Ulfrick and he was the leader of the Red Rams Warriors. Terra told her story about how she had always wanted to be an adventurer and how she had taken up this job as her first assignment.

This simply caused the battle hardened dwarf to laugh. He explained that while Terra might have the size and strength to be an adventurer she clearly lacked the equipment and skills to be successful. Terra felt insulted by the warrior’s words, but knew that they rang true. It was at this point that she begged the dwarf to teach her how to properly fight. At first Ulfrick was hesitant about letting a young lass join his group until the female dwarf from before gave him a blow straight to his stomach.

The female dwarf, Argwen, gave Ulfrick a stern look before demanding that he allow Terra to join their party. It would give Terra the experience she needed, while giving the dwarf another female to hang out with. Ulfrick finally agreed and it was at that point that Terra became a member of Ulfrick’s group.

For the next two years Terra traveled with the group. Ulfrick was a lot more down to earth than what Terra originally thought. The dwarf was especially blunt at times but fair. Despite the size difference between them, Ulfrick was an amazing teacher. It was under his guidance that Terra became the powerhouse that she was today.

One day Ulfrick received news that his presence was needed by the dwarven king. It was with a heavy heart that Terra bid the band of merry misfits a farewell as she started her own journey. With an actual sword at her side, and a set of functional armor the giant lass was ready to take on anything that the world had in store for her.