- Text Size +
Chapter 29


Warmth, it was the only thing that told him that it was time to rest. Opening his eyes the familiar site of nothing but white greeted him. Or was it her? No, for some reason he was sure that it was a him. It was quite odd that this was the only thing that he knew about himself. Slowly rolling over he took in the vast smoldering darkness that rested below him. Raising his hand up to brush some hair out of his face, he was surprise to only find a nub. Of course he would only find a nub. Looking at it closer he could just make out movement at the tip as his arm started to repair itself. Maybe in a few hours his hand would be back so that he could brush the hair out of his face.

Hopefully it would take a little longer for his body to regenerate this time so that the darkness could sleep longer. Of course once he was fully restored the darkness would awaken and consume him once again. This was the sum of his existence. The darkness would send him through unbearable agony tearing him apart only for it to stop once he was on the edge towards oblivion. Destruction, revival, destruction, revival it had happened for as long as he could remember.

How many times had he gone through this? Truthfully he couldn’t remember the first time that the darkness took him. He couldn’t remember anything but the darkness. This was his life, just him and the darkness. It was true that he was scared of the darkness, but he had grown dependent on it. The darkness was the only other thing that seemed to exist apart from himself. Since the darkness had gone to sleep again he decided to let his mind wonder as he waited for it to awaken.

Quietly drifting around, he was enjoying his last hour of warmth when something strange happened. He felt himself drop a few feet as weird sounds started reverberating around him. Having spent an eternity by himself the only sounds that he knew was his own screams as the darkness did its work. Straining harder to listen the only thing he knew was that the words seemed panicked.

Panic was something that he understood well, but what where words. How strange was it that he knew that the sounds were words when he didn’t even know the meaning of what words were? Maybe he used them before, but that was probably impossible. What was he doing? Something new was happening and here he was completely ignoring it. Another dropping sensation hit him as he tried to listen to these ‘words’.

“The body’s not yet ready!” yelled a gruff voice.

“We don’t have time !@#$%.” Replied another.

“Please, continue.” Pleaded another strained voice.

Of course he had no idea the meaning of the words these people were saying. What was people? He would have to get back to that later. Refocusing he continued to listen to this abnormality. Another drop hit him as the voices continued.

“She’s not going to make it !@#$%” said the gruff voice.

“It’s okay.” Replied the strained voice as another harder drop hit him.

“The barrier’s not holding.” Replied the second voice.

The voices started to blur as a series of drops started to hit him one after another. Was it colder around him? Suddenly the voices became clearer as he felt his body beginning to gently fall.

“I’ll hold him off for as long as possible!” yelled the second voice.

“We just need a few more minutes for the transfer to finish.” said the gruff voice.

“Help me up !@#$%, I want to see him when he wakes up.” replied the strained voice but more quite this time.

Even though the meaning of what these voices said were beyond him, he felt happy as they continued. The falling sensation intensified as it was joined with a dramatic drop in temperature. Luckily this place had no bottom as he felt himself going faster and faster. He was wondering what was going to happen next until the sensation stopped. Shooting straight up he took in large mouthfuls of air as a rhythmic beating sound started resonating somewhere in his chest. He didn’t know what it was nor did he care as he felt something warm touch both sides of his face.

“!@#$% can you hear me?” asked the quite strained voice.

Forcing his eyes opened he had to blink several times so that the picture in front of him cleared up. Staring back at him was a set of beautiful crystal blue eyes belonging to the most beautiful thing that he had ever seen. Even though it was the first time that he had seen this person, her face seemed so familiar to him. He couldn’t understand why but a great feeling of joy swept over him as he stared back at this stranger. This didn’t last long as he felt the woman’s hands leaving his face as they fell upon his lap. The woman’s head fell in his lap as the rest of her body fell limp.

“!@#$%!” yelled the gruff voice.

Looking up he found the owner of the voice leaning against something off towards his left. He watched as the man placed his hands upon the object as it flashed with a red light. Looking back down at the woman, he found himself trying to wake her by shaking her shoulders. Seeing that she was unresponsive, he tried to shake her a little harder. It was just a few seconds later that he noticed that she started to fade away right in front of him. Grabbing her hand he held on tightly hoping that the fading would stop. Looking back at the man at the podium, he found that he too was fading in front of him.

He didn’t know why, but something hot was running down his cheeks as the woman continued to fade until she disappeared completely. He sat there motionless just staring at the place that the woman had been hoping that she would return. He had felt pain an uncountable number of times, but this pain felt new to him. He was finally knocked out of his state as a burst of black flames appeared a distance in front of him as a tall figure stepped forward.

Looking back at this figure as he came closer, fear started coursing through him. He couldn’t understand why, but the smile on the man’s face seemed to intensify the fear and pain that was already inside of him. His breath hitched as tears continued to run down his face. It wasn’t until the man stopped in front of him that a new feeling came over him.

For some unknown reason the man started laughing at him with what seemed like joy in his dark red eyes. Soon the fear and pain was replaced with a terrible new feeling. Rage. Rage over took him as he continued to stare at the man who must have been responsible for taking her away. The only thing that he wanted was for this man to get as far away from here as possible. Still smiling, the man reach a hand closer to him. As soon as the man’s hand was mere inches away from him did he finally snap. The man’s smiling face was the last thing he saw before he was drifting off into darkness.



Rushing back to consciousness he found himself looking upwards at a dark cloud covered sky. It was snowing lightly around him with a gentle breeze blowing across his body. What was he doing here? Looking around him the only thing he saw was a field devoid of all life. The ground was burned everywhere and the only trees left standing where burned and broken. To his right he could see what looked like a mountain except for its right half missing. It wasn’t till he heard a strained laugh that he realized that he wasn’t alone.

Laying on the ground just a few feet away was the same man as before, or at least what was left of him. Despite his entire lower half and left side missing, the man still seemed happy. Looking at the smoldering individual in front of him, he couldn’t help but notice the joy in the man’s eye. Suddenly black flames erupted around his body as it started degrading to ash.

“Until we meet again.” Coughed the man as the black flames consumed the rest of his body till nothing but ash remained.

He didn’t know how long he stood there staring at the ashes as the snow continued to fall around him. Whether it was hours or minutes he didn’t care. It wasn’t until a warmth sensation over took him did he realize that he was falling yet again.

“Find her.” said a voice that reverberated through his being.


“Atticus come quick!” yelled a young boy as he led the aged man behind him.

Clutching his side, Atticus was having a hard time following the child as he sprinted towards the top of the hill. Atticus was near the very end of one of his favorite books when this boy had told him a ludicrous story. If this kid was pulling a prank then he would no doubt have a meeting with the youth’s parents. Finally reaching the top of the hill Atticus found a group of kids all standing around a tree. Taking a minute to catch his breath, Atticus pushed the kid aside to see whether it was true or not.

Sleeping on the ground covered in leaves and a torn cloth was a small naked child. It wasn’t till Atticus got closer did he notice that the child’s ears had a pointed tip to them. Taking off his outer cloak, he was careful not to wake up the small elf as he picked him up. Seeing that the kid was still asleep Atticus found a small envelope fall from the child’s hands. Picking it up Atticus looked inside to find a folded piece of paper and a solid gold necklace. Examining the necklace in his hands, Atticus read aloud the single word inscribed upon it.

“Icarus.”
Chapter End Notes:
Please review and enjoy