- Text Size +
Chapter 17

“Do you have any idea which way we’re supposed to go?” asked Terra as she faced the seven passage ways in front of her.

[Um, I think that we should go through the fifth door] replied Icarus after he examined each passageway.

“You don’t sound very confident but what is the worst that can happen?” replied Terra as she looked through the doorway.

[Well probably death, but I’ve been pretty accurate since we’ve gotten here] replied Icarus as he took a hesitant step forward.

After walking forward twenty yards, the passageway turned towards the right. The number of turns that they made increased steadily until Terra had lost all sense of direction. Fortunately enough the Saphirite that lined the corridor had given more than enough light for Terra and Icarus to navigate. After a few more minutes Terra and Icarus rounded a turn towards a straight away.

“Is that our destination?” asked Terra as she ducked under another low lying archway.

[Hopefully, at least it seems like we’ve chosen the right pathway.] said Icarus.

It was at this moment that Terra heard a loud clunking sound as her foot lowered a few inches. Less than a second later Terra found the ground below them give way as her and Icarus fell downwards. Reaching over, Terra grabbed ahold of Icarus and held him tightly against her stomach as she waited for impact.

Terra soon felt a sharp pain against her back as she was quickly submerged in ice cold water. Terra let out a little gasp as the torrent of water pulled her downwards through a tunnel. The little escape of air didn’t go unnoticed as her lungs started burning. Holding Icarus tightly, Terra fought her way upwards for air. She soon found that it was hopeless as the tunnel was completely filled with water. The burning sensation was soon becoming unbearable when a small shock ran through her system.

The shock surprised her enough that the remaining air in her lungs was unexpectedly exhaled. It came to a bigger surprised that Terra found that she could actually breath in fresh air. Terra was momentarily confused by the fact that she was still being pulled through the tunnel. It wasn’t until she noticed a steady drain on Icarus’ stamina that she knew what had happened.

[Take a deep breath, I don’t know how much longer I can hold my breath] stated Icarus as he started trembling.

Black dots were starting to fill his already blurry vision as he felt himself losing consciousness. Feeling Icarus’ distress, Terra swam forward trying to get to the end of the tunnel. Icarus was seconds away from losing it when Terra came up with an idea. Pulling Icarus to her face, Terra placed one hand behind his head while the other held him close. Icarus couldn’t figure out what was happening as his lungs gave out, releasing the air inside. Pushing his face into hers, Terra forced open Icarus’ mouth with her tongue forming a seal with her lips.

Icarus found relief as air was soon being forced through his mouth to his burning lungs. It took Terra a few tries, but she was able to transfer the right amount of air into Icarus’ smaller lungs. It was an awkward feeling for Icarus as he had no control over his own breathing as Terra took complete control. Terra focused on continuing her breathing pattern as she waited for an opening. A minute later, Terra was pressed against a set of iron bars. Swimming upwards, Terra broke the seal on Icarus’ mouth as they surfaced.

It took Terra a few seconds to find a dry spot after she brushed the wet hair from her eyes. Swimming over to the ledge, Terra gently tossed the still coughing Icarus onto the ledge before she hoisted herself on up. Terra felt a slight shock and the drain on Icarus’ stamina decrease as the magic ended.

“That wasn’t so bad.” replied Terra as she pushed her hair out of her face.

[I wasn’t expecting that trap at the end] replied a panting Icarus.

“Hey, we all have a bad day.” said Terra while ringing out the bottom portion of her shirt. Looking over at Icarus, Terra felt sorry for her smaller companion. Icarus was shaking uncontrollably from their water ride.

“Is there any way that you can fix this?” asked Terra as she motioned to her soaked outfit.

[I’ll try] replied a shivering Icarus.

Grabbing ahold of Terra’s shirt, Icarus closed his eyes and braced himself for what was going to happen next. Feeling a surge of magic flow through him, Icarus focused his thoughts on drying their wet clothes. Almost instantly, all of the moister on both Icarus’ and Terra’s clothing shot outwards leaving their outfits dry. Icarus soon felt breathless as his legs buckled from underneath him. Icarus didn’t hit the ground, however, as he felt Terra’s hands supporting him.

“Are you alright?” asked Terra as she helped stand back up.

[Yeah, I’m fine] replied Icarus as he tried regaining his breath.

Looking around her surroundings, Terra found a ledge several feet above her head. Picking Icarus’ tired form up into her arms, Terra ensured that Icarus had a secured grip as she scaled the wall behind them. It took Terra less than a minute to scale the twenty foot wall as she soon found herself standing on a new pathway.

[Go to the right] said Icarus as Terra placed him back onto the ground.

“It’s your call.” stated Terra as she followed her partner.

Luckily for Terra, this pathway had no turns to it as they walked straight. In no time at all, Terra saw a light getting closer as they continued on the path. A few moments later Icarus and Terra entered into a large empty chamber except for a massive statue overlooking a golden chest. Looking upwards at the statue, Terra estimated that the statue stood around eighteen feet tall. The statue was completely carved out of the same wood as the tree above them. What was noticeable about this statue was the fact that it had the head and legs of a bull, yet had the arms and body of a man. In the statues right hand was a massive wooden hammer while his left hand was balled into a fist.

[The Minotaur] relied Icarus as he stared upwards at the statue.

Terra jumped backwards while drawing her sword as if on command the statue took a step forward. Covering the distance between them in less than a dozen steps, the statue towered over Icarus as it came to a stop. Terra had no idea what was going to happen as the statue glared down at her partner. It came to a surprise to Terra as the statue knelt down on one knee and bowed its head towards Icarus.

“What is it doing?” asked Terra as she stared up at the statue.

“Recognizing its master.” came a reply as dark flames burst outwards from in front of the golden chest.

As the flames receded a hooded figure emerged to stand with his back turned away from the group. Terra could feel a slight rumble as the Minotaur shot upwards facing the hooded figure. Terra felt uneasy as the figure turned to face Icarus a sinister smile spreading across his face.

“Its’ been a while hasn’t it Icarus?” replied the hooded figure as he drew his hood back.