- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Please review and enjoy!
Chapter 16

“Icarus, you have to calm down.” said Terra as she grabbed Icarus’ shoulder gently.

Pulling Icarus into her embrace, Terra gently swung him back and forth. After a minute Icarus’ fear subsided as he was brought out of his stupor. After Terra felt that Icarus was finally calm, she placed him gently back on the ground.

“Are you alright now?” asked Terra as she looked into his eyes.

[Yeah I’m ok now, but we got to go and I’m going to need my magic] replied Icarus as he broke their embrace.

Focusing on the sphere in the back of her mind, Terra gently blew off the thin covering. Icarus felt the effects immediately as magic flowed from within him. Looking back at Icarus, Terra followed him towards the center of the room.

“Where are we going?” asked Terra as she looked around. Terra could see a faint smile come across Icarus’ face as he looked back at her.

[The workshop] replied Icarus as he placed his hand upon the ground.

The amount of stamina drained from Icarus was barely noticeable as his hand touched the ground, but Terra felt the effects immediately. Several loud clicks followed as Terra soon found herself descending on a platform. It was gradual at first, but soon the platform accelerated to uncomfortable speeds. It was only a second as Terra and Icarus came to a slow stop in front of a massive passageway. Looking upwards, Terra could see the opening above them close a few hundred feet above her head.

Terra was surprised that she could still see with the opening above them completely shut. It took her a moment to realize that a blue light was coming from the passage way in front of them. Under further inspection, Terra found the blue light was coming from some glowing blue rocks that lined the walls.

“Saphirite?” asked a shocked Terra as she examined the stone.

[What’s Saphirite?] asked Icarus as he inspected the glowing rocks.

“It’s a special type of rock that is only found in very remote regions. I’ve only ever seen it once when I was a little girl.” replied Terra as she admired the wall.

[I guess that we don’t need a torch then.] said Icarus as he made his way down the passageway.

Terra followed Icarus down the passageway for around a hundred meters until they came upon a rather large chamber, Terra estimated that the room was over a hundred feet by two hundred feet. The room was illuminated by the same Saphirite that had lined the passageway. The only two features that this room had was a set of seven passages that lined the opposite wall, and a large podium that overlooked a shattered pod.

Walking up towards the pod, Terra found that the twisted metal and busted glass had the same scorch marks that the floor above them had. The only difference that Terra noticed was that the burned marks that surrounded the pod were far older than the ones above them.

“Whatever burned the tree must have attacked this pod.” remarked Terra as she examined the busted pod.

[And this must be the pod that Atticus told us that they stored Prince Exia in.] stated Icarus as he looked around this area.

“Then what happened here?” asked Terra.

Walking up to the podium, Icarus found rows of inner locking circles that converged onto a small red crystal. A faint gleam came from within the red gem as Icarus looked around the podium. Icarus felt an unnatural pull towards this crystal as he stretched his hand forwards. His hand was mere inches way when a red spark connected Icarus to the gem for the smallest amount of time. Jumping backwards, both Icarus and Terra found the podium’s rings spinning rapidly as a hissing sound filled the room. Moments later the red jewel was flooded with light as a picture started to form above it. Seconds later the image finally took the form of a relatively old man.

“Icarus my son, if you are seeing this then you have finally found your partner.” replied the man as Terra and Icarus stood in silence.

“I don’t have much time to explain so I’ll make this short. Gideon’s full revival is drawing close; even as we speak his former minions are making their move. There is only one way to stop this from happening. You and your partner are going to have to collect the five sacred treasures and destroy Gideon’s vessel before he regains his full power. The first treasure is hidden within this workshop, but you’ll know where to find it. Only you two will be able to stop this disaster from happening and save our people.” stated the man as he raised his hand.

Terra and Icarus were silent as they took in what this figure was saying. It was at this point that the man started speaking again.

“Icarus, I’m sorry but you must sleep a little longer.” said the man as a flash came from his hand.

After the flash, Terra saw Icarus collapse to the ground unconscious. Unlike when Icarus was usually asleep, the sphere in the back of her mind was unresponsive. It was only a few seconds after Icarus hit the ground that the man started speaking.

“I have yet to introduce myself; my name is Daedalus the creator of both Icarus and the sacred treasures. I’m sorry to have placed a task of this size upon you, but you have to help Icarus. I came to the conclusion years ago that Gideon was never truly defeated and that he would return someday, but I also foresaw a possibility that he would find a way to get rid of his biggest threat. It was with this in mind that I would create a body that was impervious to the magic that had devastated the elves over a hundred years ago. I would then add a soul with the capability of wielding the sacred treasures. Unfortunately I could not complete my work in time which has left Icarus in his fragile form and his dependence on a partner. The second problem is that I wasn’t able to purify his soul completely. It is because of this that Icarus must never learn the two things that I’m about to tell you.”



After saying his final words, another flash came from Daedalus’ hand as his image dissipated. The podium started making a hissing noise as it slowly came to a stop. Terra gently picked up Icarus as moments later he started to stir from his slumber.

[Where are we?] asked a dazed Icarus.

“We were listening to the podium when you mysteriously fell asleep.” replied Terra as she sat him down.

[So that wasn’t a dream?] asked a worried Icarus.

“It wasn’t a dream Icarus. Why are you worried?” asked Terra as she crouched down to his level.

[It’s because he wants us to do something that even the prince couldn’t do.] replied Icarus.

“Don’t worry Icarus, I’m sure that we can tackle anything that comes our way.” said Terra as she ruffled Icarus’ hair.

[Where do we go from here] asked Icarus.

“I’m guessing that we have to grab the first treasure that’s in this place.” replied Terra as she faced the seven passageways.