- Text Size +

Susan Lung sits silently in a funeral parlour, staring at the open casket of her friend, her girlfriend Melinda standing over it and looking down.  

“I can’t believe it…” Susan says to her boyfriend Victor, who is checking his phone for work emails.  “Victor!” Susan hisses, slapping her petite hand across the top of her boyfriend’s phone.  “Put that away, you’re at a funeral.” The petite five foot-three inch tall woman hisses at the small, mousy looking man beside her.

“Sorry...I have to, the server in washington is down, and-” Victor begins only to be interrupted.

“I don’t care, you’re at your friend’s funeral.” Susan says in a more level tone, whipping her long, black and shiny hair.  Victor, finally relents and palms the phone in his small hand, putting it in his pocket.  

“Fine, it can wait.” He says, standing up and kissing his girlfriend on the forehead.  Victor was a short man, standing only about five feet and one inch tall.

“Thank you…” Susan says, closing her eyes as she is pecked on the forehead, her brown eyes studying Victor as he retakes his seat.  “Maybe we should take her upstate this weekend, you know...get her away from all of this?” Susan suggest, looking over at victor once more and running a hand through his short brown hair, in an attempt to fix it.  

“Would you stop it? We’re at a funeral.” Victor smacks the larger woman’s hand away.

“But it’s a mess…” Susan whines.  

“It’s fine.” Victor says as he adjusts his black button down shirt.  “Do you think that would be a good idea?” Victor asks.

“Hmm?” Susan says as she gives her black dress a few swipes of her hand.

“Bringing her upstate…” Victor says, skepticism in his voice.

“Um, why not? She’s just going to be trapped in her apartment, maybe we can take her mind off of everything for a few days.” Susan suggests as she stands up.  “I’m going to go ask her.” She adds as she starts to walk away.  Victor reaches his hand into his pocket, and when Susan is a few steps away, looks down on his phone once more, trying to write a quick email.

The asian woman approaches Melinda from behind, slowly. The girl turns to look at Susan, forcing a smile, which Susan returns.  “Hey.” Susan offers.

“Hey.” Melinda responds, her voice hoarse from crying.  “Thanks for coming.” Melinda says, looking up at Susan with bloodshot eyes.  Susan hugs Melinda, her chest pressing against the small locket.

“I’m so sorry Mel.” Susan says, grief in her voice.

“Thank you.” Melinda says wearily as Susan releases her from the embrace.

“Listen...me and Victor, we’re going to go to the cabin this weekend, we both think that you should come with us.” Susan offers.

“I really shouldn’t I mean…I have all of his stuff to go through and-” Melinda begins.

“And it will be there when you get back, you need a break girl!” Susan says.

“I’m not going to be any fun.” Melinda half croaks.

“That’s fine, we just want you to get away for a few days, that’s all.” Susan says, putting a hand on the woman’s shoulder.

“I’ll think about it.” Melinda says, offering the girl another smile.  The smile fades from Melinda’s face as she turns her gaze back to Josh’s corpse. Melinda’s fingers begin toying with the locket around her neck and her eyes begin to glaze over.

“Well, alright, anything you need you just let us know.” Susan offers as she slides her hand from Melinda’s shoulder.  An icy feeling comes over Susan as she stands there, the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end and the color draining from her face. She turns, taking a few laboured breaths as she walks down the aisle and retakes her seat next to Victor, who quickly slips his phone back into his pocket.

“What...what’s the matter?” Victor stammers as Susan sits there, her jaw hanging open on her pale face.  She slowly turns to Victor and stares blankly at her boyfriend.  “Hello?” He asks, snapping his fingers near Susan’s ears.  

“Huh?” Susan comes to, blinking rapidly as she ascends back to reality.  “What?” Susan asks as the color slowly returns to her face.

“You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Victor shakes his head.  “Are you alright?” He asks, putting his hand onto Susan’s forehead, and withdrawing it covered in cold sweat.  “Ew.” He says as he wipes his hand onto his pants.

“What are you going on about? I’m fine…” Susan offers as they both look on at Melinda, unmoving above her lost love.  “She’s so sad…” Susan says, a forlorn expression on her face.  

“Yeah, I can’t imagine.” Victor says. “So what did she say?” Victor asks as he leans back in his chair, crossing one leg over the other and inspecting his dress shoe.

“She said she’d think about it, I didn’t really want to force the issue.” Susan says looking over to Victor once more.

“Well, let’s give her time, if she wants to go, she’ll let us know.” Victor says as he plants his foot back on the ground, and stares on at the shell of a woman who is standing over the gilded casket.

That night Melinda tosses and turns in a king sized bed, the bed she once shared with Josh, her white tank top stained with sweat and tears, the locket hanging across her chest.  She finally sits up and leans against the headboard. She flips on the light and sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose between her fingertips before standing up, her barefeet lightly landing on the hardwood floor. She walks into the kitchen and opens a utensil drawer, pulling out a large knife, her reflection staring back at her from the shiny surface.  The kitchen is completely silent, not even the hum of an appliance heard within the surreal moment.  She takes a deep breath and holds out her right wrist, placing the blade of the knife onto her skin and looking down.  She gasps continuously as sweat begins to pour from her forehead.  

“That’s not how you do it.” A familiar voice comes from over the girl’s shoulder, causing her to drop the knife in a panic and twist around.  Josh is standing there, in the middle of the kitchen, dressed in all black, a half cocked grin on his face. Melinda’s eyes go wide as she stares upward at the man whom she thought was dead.

“J...j…” She stammers as she braces herself against the counter.  Josh simply lifts his arm and traces a line vertically down his wrist with an index fingertip.  

“Up and down baby, up and down, never side to side…” He says as he slowly walks towards Melinda.

“Josh...You’re…” She stammers, her face contorted in pain and disbelief.

“Alive? No…” Josh laughs.  “I’m not alive, but you are.” He says as he takes Melinda’s hand, slowly bringing it up to his lips and kissing it.  Melinda’s blood runs like ice water through her veins as Josh touches her, she could not feel his warmth, or his skin against hers.

“And I need you to do something for me.” Josh grins.

Victor is sitting on a bean bag, tapping away at an xbox controller as he watches the character on the screen swing its sword against a wall, the sound of metal clashing against stone ringing out from the television.  Two translucent hooks come through the wall and rip into the character, bringing it to its knees.  Big letters flash across the screen. “You have died.”  Victor throws his controller against the blue carpet, and growls as it bounces and slides across the floor.  His rage is interrupted by the phone ringing.  He picks up the cordless phone and presses a button, putting it to his right ear.  “Hello?” He asks.  “Oh hey Mel, how are you?” He continues as he stands up from the bean bag, walking to a window and looking down on the street, far below.     he watches the cars whiz by, their headlights blaring against the dark Manhattan evening. “Yeah, she’s not home from work yet…” He says as he walks away from the window, pacing around the small kitchenette.  “Yeah, you’re more than welcome, you know that.” He continues his conversation.  “Just yourself, and a few changes of clothes.  Right… I’ll let her know, take care, OK, bye.” Victor says before hanging up the phone and placing it on the kitchen counter.  

A few minutes later Susan walks in the front door, her keys jangling and her arm holding an oversized bag, which she plops down on the floor with a small grunt. She kicks off her red heels and sighs.  

“Hey baby!” She calls out.

“In here.” Victor calls from the living room.  Susan walks into the living room and shakes her head as Victor sits on his bean bag, tapping away at the controller in his hand.  

“This, again?” Susan sighs, sitting on the couch and leaning her head back. She grins and slips her black stocking foot onto Victor’s lap, wiggling her slightly damp toes.  “My feet are really tired…” Susan says as Victor drops his controller, reaches over, and turns the xbox off.  He takes up Susan’s petite foot in both hands and begins to rub it.  Susan giggles and flexes her toes.

“Melinda called.” Victor says, his attention focused squarely on his girlfriend’s foot.

“Yeah, what did she say?” Susan asks, sighing contently and slumping down further into the couch as the tension melts from her arch.

“She said she is coming tomorrow.” Victor responds as he kneads his knuckles into Susan’s arch.

“Good.  How was she otherwise?” Susan asks, her eyes half closed.

“She sounded much better.” Victor says.

“Well she’s probably hiding it well, she was so… empty the other day.” Susan sighs.

“Yeah it was kind of rough seeing her like that.” Victor says as he slips Susan’s foot from her stocking and spreads his fingers through her toes.

Yeah…” Susan says as she closes her eyes.

“Hey get up, we have to pack…” Victor says, tossing Susan’s foot from her lap and standing up.

“Mmmhmm.” Susan moans lazily as Victor walks out of the living room.

The next morning Victor and Susan are loading their minivan at the base of their apartment building.  Victor is carrying a pistol case, which he stows beneath a few coolers in the back of the vehicle.  

“Must you bring that...thing?” Susan asks, a nervous expression on her face.

“Yes. I want to shoot.” Victor says, closing the back door. “And you never know what you’ll run into up there.”  He adds as he climbs into the driver’s seat, slipping his seat belt on as Susan climbs into the passenger seat.

“Whatever…” Susan scoffs as they close their doors.  Victor starts the engine and they drive a few minutes to pick up Melinda, idly chatting along the way.  Outside of Melinda’s apartment Susan picks up her cell phone and dials the girl’s number.

“Yeah..We’re outside.  Do you need help? Are you sure? Alright.” Susan says before she puts the phone down.  A few moments later Melinda walks out, two large bags strapped across her shoulder. Victor pops the back door, and Melinda loads her bags in the back of the van.  She then climbs into the back seat, and the three casually dressed passengers make their way out of New York City, and head upstate.  Melinda is unusually quiet, but both Victor and Susan let her be.

About an hour into the trip, Melinda turns to see Josh sitting next to her.  She gasps and cringes a bit, shrinking away.  Josh simply smiles.  

“Are you OK?” Susan asks from the front.  

“You’re fine.” Josh says, coaching Melinda on what to say.

“I’m fine.” Melinda says, collecting herself.  

“Good girl.” Josh says, smiling a half cocked grin.

“Look at them… So happy together, disgusting.” Josh says, narrowing his eyes. Melinda looks over at her side, wide eyed, the hairs on the back of her neck once more standing on end, her heart fluttering in her chest.

“You’re going to rip them apart...and I’m going to make it very easy for you...very easy.”  Josh says as he leans over and pecks Melinda on the cheek.

“GET...OUT...OF...MY...HEAD!” Melinda screams and plasters herself against the door of the vehicle.

“Um…” Victor stammers, glancing nervously in the rearview.

“Mel?!” Susan asks, twisting around in her seat.  “Mel?!” The tiny asian girl repeats nervously.

“Should I pull over?!” Victor half shouts.  Melinda closes her eyes and touches the locket around her neck, twirling it around in her fingertips.

“Mel, are you OK, please answer me!” Susan’s voice cracks.

“I’m...sorry… I’m fine, I guess I kind of drifted off and had a nightmare.” The girl says, taking a shuddering breath.  She looks over to where Josh sat, finding only an empty seat.

“Phew...wow.” Victor says as he continues driving.  “You gave me a heart attack!” He continues as Susan turns around in her seat, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

“Sorry!” Melinda says, smiling.

“How about some music?” Susan asks, flipping through the radio.

“Don’t fight me babycakes, this will go so much smoother if you don’t resist.” Josh says, reappearing by Melinda’s side.  Melinda closes her eyes and bites her bottom lip.  “Besides if it wasn’t for you, I’d still be alive, you owe me.” Josh explains, giving a quick little chuckle.

“And I intend to collect.” Josh’s expression goes serious as Susan makes a sour face and places her hand over her stomach.  The asian girl sucks air through her teeth, causing Melinda to look straight ahead.

“God my stomach.” Susan complains.  

“Mine too…” Victor says as he looks over at his girlfriend.  

“That’s so odd, it’s like I’m on a rollercoaster.” Susan explains.

“Maybe it’s the road.” Victor suggests.  

“It’s not the road.” Josh explains to Melinda, who grits her teeth, digging her hands into the seat of the car.

“God this is horrible, why won’t it stop?” Susan asks, sweat beginning to form on her brow.

“We’re almost there… a few more minutes.” Victor says, sweating himself and taking deep breathes.  “God…” He whines, wiping the sweat from his forehead. Susan cracks a window and the cold december wind howls through the cabin of the van.

“I know what you’re thinking…” Josh begins, placing his hand atop Melinda’s. “You don’t want to hurt them, they’re your friends.  And I am really sorry it has to be this way.” Josh smiles, insincerity in his voice.  “But you’ll see, it will become easier...You might even come to enjoy it.” Josh says as his hand slips through the fabric of Melinda’s jeans, Melinda gasps as she feels her womanhood tingle with intense pleasure, and starts to draw quick gasps of air.  A moment later Josh withdraws his hand.

Susan and Victor both gasp as they pull off of the highway, turning down a few surface streets before heading up a dirt road.  

“Oh god… It’s gone, that was…” Susan whines.

“Yeah...weird...just...weird…” Victor stammers as they pull into a clearing.  

“Maybe we should head back.” Susan suggests as they pull up in front of a sizable cabin.

“Tell them no.” Josh orders Melinda.  After a few seconds Josh narrows his eyes.  “I can do a lot worse Melinda.  Tell them, now.” Josh demands.

“No!” Melinda cries out causing both front seat passengers to turn around in surprise.

“It’s probably nothing...let’s just wait and see? I would hate to drive all the way back for nothing.” Melinda bites her bottom lip.

“I’m OK now.” Victor says, turning to Susan, who nods in agreement.   

“Me too.” Susan agrees.

“Good...You two probably just need some food.” Melinda suggests, her voice cracking a little bit.  

“Yeah, we’ll unpack and then have some lunch.” Susan agrees again, and both Victor and his girlfriend open their doors, stepping outside.  

“Good girl…” Josh coos.  

“Go to hell…” Melinda whispers.  Melinda remains quiet as the back door is opened, and the couple begins grabbing bags.  Josh offers nothing but his ever present smile, half cocked and condescending.  This was not the Josh she had lost, the girl tells herself.  

“Farewell for now, my love, enjoy your afternoon.” Josh laughs before disappearing into thin air.

“Coming Mel?” Susan asks from behind.

“Yeah...yeah...I’m coming.” Melinda says as she collects herself, opening her door and stepping outside.  This was not the Josh she knew, the Josh she knew would never hurt her, or her friends.  The Josh she knew would never try and manipulate her.  The Josh she knew would never strike terror into her heart. One thing was certain in Melinda’s mind as she grabbed one of her duffel bags from the back of the van, she was going to fight him, she was going to stop him, and protect them all.

“This is going to be a fun weekend…” Susan smiles as she settles in next to Melinda, grabbing a cooler. 

“Yeah…it should be interesting.” Melinda replies.