- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I have added many tags to this story, and it may take me some time to use them. Also, I may not use one or two of them. In which case, I will delete them accordingly.

Enjoy!

Mark, our handsome 19 years old protagonist, was returning home from a long and arduous day at work. Walking back to his house, he was pleased to be wearing trainers again, his foot throbbing, legs aching from having to be on his feet all day. Life as a car salesman in a fairly wealthy town, could certainly be tiring. 

His phone vibrated in his trouser pocket. My smiled softly as he pulled out his phone, knowing that it would be Abbie getting in touch.

"I'll be home in about ten minutes! Xx" the text read.

Mark replied stating he would only be five, and slid his phone back into his pocket. He continued to stroll down the street, hating the fact his house was right at the end.

Mark swung open his gate and walked up the path to his door. Rummaging for his keys, his foot landed on something on his doorstep and he stumbled. He glanced down to see a small, oddly shaped pearl white stone left squarely in the middle of his doorstep. Mark pondered at the small item, slightly bewildered as to why such a strange item would be left here. He glanced around his front garden behind him, looking for any other stones like the one he bent down to pick up.

"Strange..." Mark thought. It was warm, too warm for the temperature it was outside now the day was slowly turning to night. It fit in the palm of his hand perfectly fine. Opening his jacket, he slid the stone into the inner pocket and proceeded to unlock his door.

Shutting the door behind him, Mark punched in the buttons on his security pad, threw his keys on the dresser in the living room and flopped onto the couch and sighed. He closed his eyes, and slouched a little more.

But then he opened them again. The stone in his pocket was warm against his chest, and it felt like it was getting warmer. As he was about to reach into his pocket, he received another text. Mark pulled out his buzzing phone and checked the message and to his surprise, it read; "Hey Mark! Upstairs flat had just flooded his kitchen and now my bedroom is soaked through lol! Gotta speak to my landlord, but I may have to move out for a day or two. Any chance I can crash at yours for a couple of nights?? Hope you're OK! xxx". He couldn't see why not, he had a spare room going and he was sure Abby wouldn't mind, they were friends too after all. "Hey Lauren, just got back from work. That's OK by me, just come over when you can x" Mark replied, and sent his text. He frisbeed his phone onto the coffee table and pulled out the warm pearl stone from the jacket.

Mark noticed a small red dot appear on the surface of the pearly stone. He casually rubbed his finger along the surface of the stone, he had never felt anything like it. Soft like fur, but hard, solid and weighty. His finger glided over the small red dot and suddenly, a white warm light ebbed from the stone and then, he blinked.

Mark blinked a few times before his vision cleared. He glanced at the stone still in his hand and hesitantly placed the stone on the coffee table. "What the hell was that about?" Mark uttered quietly. As he was about to question the mysterious stone further, the front door opened.

"Hey babe!" Abby yelled.

"Hey. Is it OK if Lauren stays over for a couple of nights? Her flat is flooded." Abby walked into the living room and threw her jacket onto the sofa Mark was sat on.

"Her flats flooded?"

"Yeah, well, the guy right above her anyway. Apparently it's drenched her room completely and she'll need to sort it out with her landlord." Mark turned his vision from the stone to his girlfriend Abby.

Abby pulled out her hair bobble, letting her long straight brown hair fall down behind her shoulders. Mark scanned her body with his eyes, eyeing up her slim figure covered by her work clothes. Her small but perky breasts barely pushed against her blouse, but it was enough for Mark to appreciate. She was cute, having a small nose and thin lips really accentuated her slim brown eyes.

Abby was only a year older than Mark, but they were in the same year at college. It wasn't too long before Mark made his move, once he saw Abby walk into his class for the first time. It turned out that they had a few friends in common, one of them Lauren, and so it was easy for them become a strong and fond couple.

Abby sighed as she too flopped onto the sofa beside Mark. "Sure, she can stay over." She turned her head and planted a small kiss on Marks cheek. "How was your day?"

Mark huffed. "Same old, really. I heard I'm meant to be getting a pretty good Christmas bonus after all, they said I've done pretty well for my sales targets all year round so I guess that's something."

"Aww Mark! Well done! I'm so proud of you!" Abby rubbed Marks chest as she curled up next to him on the sofa.

"How about you? Enjoying working for that miserable old twat still?" Mark chuckled. Abby slapped him a little on his chest with a grin.

"He's not that bad really, he just has his moments. But usually he's OK. Long day today, kinda turning off the idea becoming a lawyer already haha!" Abby laughed as she huddled closer. She was just closing her eyes when she noticed the small pearl on the table. "What the hell is that?" She asked as she reached for it.

"I have no idea," Mark muttered as she watched his girlfriend pick up the stone. "It was on the doorstep, right in the middle. I stood on it and... It was just there."

"Huh..." Abby muttered. "Why is it warm? It feels weird!" Abby quizzed Mark.

"No idea! But there's a little red dot..."

"This one?" And Abby stroked the little dot, and again, soft warm white light filled their visions.

After a few seconds, Mark and Abby sat on the sofa, puzzled by the little stone.

"...What the heck just happened?" Abby quietly asked Mark.

"No idea..." Mark yawned. "So, what do you fancy for dinner?"

---

"I wonder what happened to Lauren?" Abby asked whilst she washed her face at the sink.

"I told her that I've left the door unlocked. She'll lock the door when she comes in."

"OK!"

It was late evening now, 10:52pm to be precise. Mark took off his watch and threw it onto the bedside table, next to the new stone he found. He yawned as he stretched out on the bed in only his boxers, crossed his legs and put his head on his arms on the pillow. His eyes were locked on the en-suite bathroom door, closed now it was occupied by Abby. "Abby, have you got any plans for the weekend? I think a few friends may be coming over for a night. Have a good catch up and all."

"I think that'd be OK, I think I have a doctor’s appointment but that's about it." Abby began to dry her face with her soft white towel.

"Sweet..." Mark mumbled.

"Also, the bank called." Abby called out from behind the door.

"Oh yeah?" Mark replied, not sounding surprised. He looked at his phone to see if Lauren had sent him a message, but nothing had come through yet. He locked his phone and tossed it next to his watch. He rubbed his face as once again, he yawned. It had been a long day after all!

"Yeah, they left a message on the answering machine. They said it was about the mortgage." Mark chuckled slightly, it was strange even to him that a 19 year-old could even apply for a mortgage, and even be able to get one regardless. He had been earning good money for more than a year and a half now, and Abby was earning some good money too. Otherwise, they wouldn't have the house they have now, that's for sure. Both Mark and Abby were keen to have their own place as soon as they had left college, and luckily they both had managed to get good jobs once they graduated.

"Righto, I'll drop in tomorrow and see what they say." Mark said back to Abby. Abby continued to sort herself and Mark yawned again. He turned his head to the stone once again, and picked it up. It was still warm, if not warmer. "The fuck is this thing?" he mumbled to himself. Once again, he noticed the little red dot. Cautiously, he slowly poked at the dot again. This time, the stone instantly was red hot, and he dropped it in shock, and a small bang was heard when the stone rolled off the bed and hit the floor.

"Argh! Jesus what the...?!" He bent over the bed to pick up the stone, not wanting it to set on fire or something, and as soon as his fingers touched the surface of the stone, and he felt a tingling sensation race through his spine. He jolted and fell to the floor. He laid on the floor, as if paralysed and he closed his eyes to blink. When he opened them a split second later, things had changed indeed.