- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
All the positive feedback has gotten me pumped to write this story. Anyways, here's chapter 3!
Trouble In A Bottle: Chapter 3

If Shaun's jaw could've hit the floor it would've.

" This can't be happening. It isn't possible. I must've fallen asleep and this is a very realistic dream. " he thought.

Shaun pinched his forearm, but he didn't suddenly wake up in his bed. " Sir? Do you speak English? " the woman called.

" Um... Yes I do. "

" Where am I? "

" Uh... My apartment. "

" No, no I mean what state? "

" Oh! Arizona. "

" Ah, I see. "

" Excuse me, ...Zarelda. How did you get so small? "

" Oh! Pardon me. I suppose this is quite unsettling for you. "

" Just a bit. " Shaun said still in shock.

" Allow me to explain. "

Zarelda told Shaun her story of how she came to be her current size as follows. She said she is actually hundreds of years old despite her youthful appearance. She couldn't say how old exactly however. A long time ago Zarelda had angered a powerful sorceress. The sorceress had shrunken her and placed a curse on her that made her live forever. She never aged and could not die. After that Zarelda was placed inside the bottle to live out eternity. Zarelda's disappearance did not go unnoticed by her family and friends. The sorceresses cruel actions were discovered by the city guard. They attempted to capture her, but she escaped and was never seen again.

No one could save Zarelda from the sorceresses magic. Her family decided they would care for and protect her through the generations. Passing her on from family member to family member. Eventually her and her bottle were forgotten and lost. The bottle did not open for many years. One day a man released Zarelda from the bottle. He slowly taught her English so she could communicate with people. That was a long time ago. The man put her back in the bottle and it wasn't opened again until Shaun did. Zarelda guessed that was quite some time ago. Shaun also found out something else about Zarelda from her story. She had an accent that he couldn't place. Probably because it was hundreds of years old.

" Wow, that's... amazing. I wouldn't believe it if you weren't in front of me. "

" Yes it is... amazing. I don't think you told me your name. "

" Sorry, I'm Shaun. "

" Nice to meet you, Shaun. "

Shaun suddenly noticed the rolled up paper by Zarelda's feet. He'd seen it before, but hadn't thought much of it.

" The sorceress put it in the bottle with me. I believe it tells how to make me normal again, but no one who has tried can read it. " Zarelda said sadly.

" Can I look at it? "

Zarelda stepped back from the paper. Shaun reached in and picked it up. The paper was maybe a couple inches taller than Zarelda herself. Shaun unrolled it and frowned. Intricate symbols were written on the rough paper in fading ink. Shaun couldn't even venture a guess what it said.

" You don't know what this says? "

" I've tried many times to read it. I cannot decipher it. "

Shaun set the paper down on the table. " Well, what do you want me to do with you, Zarelda? Return you to the people I bought your bottle from? "

" You bought my bottle? " Zarelda asked confused.

" Yes, I got it from some people who were having a garage sale. "

" ... Garage sale? What is that? "

" Um it's like a market kind of. "

" Ah, interesting. Well I did not know those people, Shaun. I don't think I want to return to them. Is it possible for me to stay here with you? "

Shaun was taken aback. " Are you sure that's what you want? I mean I just met you. "

" I have nowhere better to go and you seem like a nice young man. If its not too much trouble I would like to stay here. "

Shaun thought about it for a moment. What else could he do with her? He could give her to someone else, but who knew if they'd be as nice as him. They could use to her to get money from news stations, scientists, or worse.

" Alright, you can stay with me. "

Zarelda smiled widely. " Thank you, Shaun! I will find a way to repay you! "

" You're welcome. " Shaun smiled back.

" Could you take me out of here. " she gestured to the box she was in.

"Ummmm... "

" You can pick me up, Shaun. I'm used to it. It's fine. "

" Okay. " Shaun said reaching back in the box.

He cupped his hand behind Zarelda and she sat down in his palm. He gently raised her out of the box. Shaun jolted as Zarelda brought her feet up on his palm, they were cold.

" Why are you bare foot? I thought when the sorceress shrank you your clothes shrank too? "

" I was not wearing shoes at the time. " Zarelda looked around Shaun's apartment in awe. " Will you show me around? I haven't been out of the bottle for some time. "

" Sure. "

Shaun spent the rest of the day showing Zarelda his apartment and teaching her about new technologies. She barely knew any of it, often stopping him to ask questions. Zarelda was thoroughly amazed by all of it. After he told her all he could about new technology it was getting late. Shaun explained to her that she could stay with him as long as she liked, but that because of school and his job he'd have to leave her alone for awhile sometimes. Zarelda understood and said she'd be fine without him. Shaun put a blanket in the box he'd talked to Zarelda in so she could sleep in it. It was the best he could do on short notice. He filled a small bowl with water and set it a corner of the box in case she wanted any.

Due to the sorceresses curse, Zarelda no longer required food or water. She could have some if she wanted though. Shaun put the box on the floor next to his bed. He still hadn't gotten a nightstand. He stripped down to his boxers and got under the sheet on his bed. He looked over the edge and down at Zarelda. " Good night. " Zarelda was already laying on the blanket, she looked up at his voice. " Good night. " she smiled. Shaun put his head on his pillow. He thought about the events of the day and grinned. He quickly dozed off.

" Tricking this fool was far too easy. " Zarelda thought with an evil grin on her face. " Now all I have to do is wait for a chance to give him this. " Zarelda pulled out the vial of powder. " For his stupidity and kindness maybe I'll make him my first new slave. " Zarelda's wicked grin widened.