- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Only two more chapters left. Next chapter things come to a boil!
Trouble In A Bottle: Chapter 19

Two days later...

Shaun and Victoria sat in the living room watching TV. They had been waiting two days now for Joseph to arrive. Kyrie had gone to school, even though she wanted to stay. Just then, there was a knock at the door. Victoria looked at Shaun.

" Think that's him? "

" Could be. " Shaun said.

Victoria went to the door and looked through the peephole. " There's two guys out there. I can't really make them out. Here goes nothing. "

She opened the door. Two men were standing in the entryway. The man who had knocked was tall, taller even than her by a few inches. He had short blonde hair that was combed neatly. His eyes were bright blue. The man was wearing a beige suit and a dark blue tie. Brown dress shoes were on his feet. He grinned as she opened the door.

" Ms. Victoria Abbott, I presume? " he asked.

" Yes. You must be Joseph. I recognize your voice. "

" Yes. This is my associate, Mr. Kuwale. "

Standing behind Jospeh was a bald African American man. He was on the short side and his muscles were visible through his own black suit. His face gave away no emotion with a patch of facial hair under his lower lip. Black leather gloves were on his hands.

" Miss. " Kuwale said curtly.

" Would you like to come in? We have a lot to talk about. "

" Yes, please. Kuwale would you be so kind as to wait out here? I would like to speak to Ms. Abbott alone. "

" Are you sure that is wise, Newgate? "

" I can handle myself. Besides, if anything goes wrong I'm sure you'll burst in to save me like always. "

" So be it. " Kuwale sighed and turned around.

Joseph stepped into the house and Victoria closed the door.

" Do you want something to drink? "

" No, thank you. Let's get down to business. Is Shaun here? "

" Yeah, hold on. "

She went over to the coffee table and picked up Shaun. Joseph grimaced as she sat down at the kitchen table with the shrunken boy.

" It's worse than I hoped... Pardon my manners. It's nice to meet you, Shaun. "

" Nice to meet you too. " Shaun said from her hand.

" Tell me, Shaun. How tall were you before all of this started? "

" 6'5 "

" Hmmm... Alright. I still can't believe this has happened again. "

" AGAIN?! You mean this has happened before? " Victoria exclaimed.

" I should not have said that... But yes. Zarelda has previously escaped twice. Many, many years apart. We recaptured her both times. The last time was some 15 years ago. Although, she never recovered her size before now. This must be the first opportunity that presented itself for her to use the powder. To think she's had it this long. She's a determined witch, I'll give her that much. "

Joseph reached into his coat pocket, pulling out a piece of paper and a pen.

" I'm going to need the address of Shaun's apartment. Before we do anything we need to confirm that Zarelda is still in the apartment and human sized. Once that is confirmed we can begin the operation. "

Victoria scribbled down Shaun's address. Joseph folded the paper and put it back in his coat.

" I'll call you when we know. " he said walking towards the door.

" Wait! You and Kuwale can't go in there alone! She'll kill you just like she did David. " Victoria cried standing up.

Joseph turned back with a large smile on his face. " You seem to be mistaken. "

He raised his hand and electricity crackled on his fingers. " Magic isn't a dead art. This is why I wasn't worried about coming in here alone. I'm not afraid of Zarelda. Goodbye. "

Joseph opened up the door and left.

" Holy shit. We might actually have a chance at stopping Zarelda. " Victoria said raising Shaun to her face.

" I really hope so. " Shaun said staring at the door.

__________________________________________________________

Zarelda poured the contents of the bag into the pot. She finally had everything she needed for the powder! Making it would take a few hours, but the wait was worth it. Vengeance was going to be hers. She already knew who her first victim was going to be, Raul of apartment 24B. Seducing him would be all too easy. She had it all planned out.

A flicker of energy made Zarelda freeze. It was a feeling she hadn't experienced for many years. Someone with powers like hers was nearby and they were reaching out to find her. Whoever this person was they were the strongest sorcerer she'd come across since that old man she got the immortality spell from. They were still no match for her.

Focusing her powers, Zarelda teleported out to the balcony of the second floor. The moment she appeared the presence vanished without a trace. This person had either teleported away or was talented at cloaking. No one in the parking lot stood out to her. Her suspicions were now confirmed, the order was closing in.

If they came for her before the powder was ready she would be forced to fight. Zarelda smiled with a laugh to herself. Let the order come! She had been itching for a good fight since she regained her powers. If they defeated her, she would kill as many as she could before she fell. Until then, she would have to watch carefully for their return.

__________________________________________________________

" Zarelda is definitely in that apartment. Despite my best efforts to remain unknown, she sensed my probing. Now she'll be on alert. Which just means we'll have to be especially careful. I've already called our agents. One of them will watch the apartment until late tonight. More stealth that way. Once he confirms she's still there, we will move on the apartment. If any civilians see us we will wipe their memories. That is our plan. "

Joseph had just returned to Victoria and Kyrie's house. Victoria had asked what their plan for capturing Zarelda was.

" Do all of your agents have magic? "

" For this mission they do. We aren't taking any chances. Shaun, you need drink some of this. I'm sure David already explained how the powder works. "

Joseph said pulling out a vile of the powder. Victoria got a glass of water and a spoon from the kitchen. Joseph added the powder to water and stirred it in. Knowing the routine, Shaun drank a few handfuls. Pulling out a syringe, Joseph took some of the water.

" This for Zarelda. " he said putting a cap on the needle and sliding it back into his coat.

" Okay. I'm going to meet up with our agents. You'll know the operation was successful when you're normal sized again. We'll come back and check on you. "

" Wait a minute! I want to be there and help you guys any way I can! " Shaun yelled from the kitchen table.

" Out of the question. We can't fight Zarelda and watch over you. "

" I'm the reason all of this happened! I won't get in the way. I'll follow your orders, I swear. "

" Hey! Me and Kyrie are coming too, little man. " Victoria interjected.

" You guys are just going to show up at the apartment complex anyways, huh? "

" Probably. " Victoria laughed.

" Fine. You can come along. But all of you will stay in the van until I say otherwise. Understand? "

They both nodded.

" Alright, I will return tonight. "

" Oh, wait! I almost forgot! "

Victoria got up and retrieved David's box and letter from the couch.

" David gave these to us before he left. It's his last wishes and his store of the powder. " she said handing them to him.

He looked at the items with sad eyes.

" David was a good man. One of the most loyal members the order has ever known. I will see to it his wishes are carried out... Goodbye. "

Joseph left the house yet again. Kuwale turned as he closed the door.

" Joseph, this operation isn't going to be easy. The elders let you lead this because they see your potential. If you fail, you may be thrown from the order or worse. "

" I have no intention of failing. I will stop Zarelda. Even if it costs me my life. "