- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I originally wanted this chapter to be longer, but I didn't want to keep you guys waiting. Sorry if it feels rushed. On the upside this means another chapter before I switch back to my other story. There will be more info in the next chapter. For now, I hope you enjoy.
Trouble In A Bottle: Chapter 15

Zarelda twirled the gun in her hand again. Paul had proven to be quite informative. The man she had killed last night was a police officer, or cop for short. They were the new worlds peace keepers. Much like the city guards from her own time.

The weapon he had used to harm her was a gun. The gun was filled with things called bullets. Paul told her what he knew about the strange weapon, she looked up further information on Shaun's laptop. She understood the basics of how to use it now. Using the gun seemed like a lot of fun, but it only had so much ammunition.

Zarelda decided she would use it sparingly. Paul had warned that the rest of the police for would be looking for her. Zarelda was hardly worried about a bunch of mortals with weapons she now knew couldn't kill her. She got Paul's wallet and PIN number from him with a little motivation. When she was done with Paul, she sent him off somewhere on the planet. This time it seemed he'd ended up in a forest of some kind.

With the money she got from Paul, she could buy one more ingredient. The last two would require even more money. Going to the club got her a decent amount of money, but not enough. Also, returning to the club was too dangerous now. Most likely, someone had found the body and called the police.

No, she needed a new plan for money. Zarelda set the gun down on the table and rose from the couch. She began to pace in front of the couch. A new idea came to her. Multiple people lived in this apartment complex. Why not get some money from them? They would be her subjects soon, anyways. Zarelda grinned and disappeared from the room.

__________________________________________________________

Shaun pressed down on the " Channel Up " button of the TV remote with both hands. The channel changed to a children's educational show.

" Ugh, what I wouldn't give for Netflix right now. " he sighed.

The girls were both at school, Victoria had left early in the morning and Kyrie a couple hours ago. Since there was no one to hide from in the house anymore, they let him stay out in the living room and watch TV. Unfortunately, nothing good was on. Shaun adjusted his new clothing awkwardly.

That morning, Victoria had come out of her room and told Kyrie and him to close their eyes. They opened their eyes to see Victoria holding a, for lack of a better word, dress. Which is exactly what Shaun called it. Victoria immediately denied it was a dress. She said it was easier than making two leg holes and he should be grateful she took the time to make it.

Shaun apologized and accepted the... garment graciously. The garment was maroon colored and stitched together roughly. It went down to just above his knees and was very loose. There were two arm holes without sleeves. To make it slightly more comfortable Victoria gave him a piece of string to tie around his waist. He didn't exactly like it, but it was better than nothing.

Shaun pushed down on the remote again, the channel changed to the local news. A Hispanic woman was talking with the banner at the bottom of the screen scrolling: " Breaking News! Police officer found dead in back alley. Police are baffled. "

" The coroners initial report says that burn marks on the body indicate electrocution. Bullet casings in the alley show the officer did fire his weapon. Minor blood samples were collected at the scene and have been sent for testing. We will be following this story throughout the day with new information as we get it... " the woman said.

" No, couldn't be. " Shaun thought. " What if Zarelda did it... No, I'm just being paranoid. I wouldn't put it past her. I need to think of something we can do about her and quickly. Before she finishes that powder. " he thought.

Obviously, she hadn't finished it yet. Shaun sat down on the couch cushion Indian-style and started to think of a plan. He continued thinking for fifteen minutes, when Victoria came in the front door.

" Hey, little man. What're you up to? " she said putting her stuff on the kitchen table.

Today, Victoria was wearing a pink t-shirt and black running shorts. Black and white running shoes were on her feet. Her long hair was done up in a knot behind her head. As she walked to the couch, she undid her hair and let it fall around her shoulders. She flopped down on the couch next to Shaun, making him fall over, and put one shoe clad foot on the edge of the coffee table.

" Nothing. Just trying to think of what we should do with Zarelda. "

" Anything good come to mind? "

" Not a single thing. And I think she killed a police officer. "

" What?! "

" They found a police officer dead in an alley. The coroner thinks he was electrocuted. Whatever happened he fired a couple shots and drew blood. It might just be me being paranoid. I don't know what she could've been doing in an alley to get a cops attention, but it can't be good. "

" Holy shit. She can use electricity? "

" She did it to me once. Except she healed me afterwards. That cop wasn't as lucky. "

" Jesus, I can't believe it. That plan you come up with better be good. Dealing with her before was hard enough, but now she can use electricity? How are we supposed to fight that? "

" I don't know... I'm trying, but it's hard. "

" Sorry. You don't need any more stress. Being that small is hard enough. "

" It's alright. I can't blame you for worrying. "

" Tell you what. Let's both relax and get our minds off that. "

" Sounds good. "

Victoria brought her left foot up onto her knee and untied her shoe. " You up for another foot massage? "

" You want another one? "

" That one yesterday felt really good. I won't make you give me one if you don't want to though. "

" No, no, that's not it. I'm just surprised you want another one. I didn't think the one yesterday was very good. I'm fine with giving you another. "

" Don't sell yourself short. It was amazing. Sorry, I wasn't trying to make such a bad pun. " she said tugging off her shoe.

Slowly, she pulled off her sock which revealed her reddened sole. She repeated the process with her other foot. Victoria cupped her hand and picked Shaun up in a sweeping motion. He fell back in her palm roughly. She gently set him on the table. Her toes appeared just over the edge of the table.

" Start with the toes today, please. " Victoria said leaning back and closing her eyes.

Shaun noticed tiny pieces of sock lint were stuck to her toes. He decided to pick them off before he started rubbing. Victoria's feet were warm to the touch as he plucked off pieces of lint and dropped them off the table. When he finished going thoroughly between her toes, he began rubbing her big toe. Over the next half hour he rubbed every inch of her foot, top to bottom.

This time he managed to control himself when he finished.

" Ahhhhhh, another great massage. Thanks, Shaun. " Victoria sighed taking her feet off the table.

" No prob. " Shaun said happily.

" I have one more idea. Wait here. "

She got up and went down the hallway. A couple minutes later, she came back holding something in her hand. She sat down and put the object on the table next to him. It was a bottle of clear nail polish.

" Think you could give my toes a good paint job? "

" I can try. Could you open up the bottle? I doubt I'd be able. "

" Sure. "

Victoria twisted the cap free from the bottle. Shaun wrapped his arm around the cap and used his other hand to balance it. Victoria's toes clenched the edge of the table.

" If you mess up let me know. " she said.

He didn't mention it, but the smell of the nail polish was stinging his nose. Not so bad he couldn't work through it though. Carefully, he began to coat the nail of her big toe in polish. When he finished that one, without error, he could see his reflection in the nail that was bigger than his head. Proud of his work, he moved on to the other toes. On the fourth toe, Victoria suddenly spoke up.

" Any mistakes so far? "

" Nope. Doin' good so far. "

" Cool. So, Shaun I've been meaning to ask. You said you released Zarelda from a bottle right? Where'd you even find such an old bottle? "

" I got it at a garage sale... Wait! That's it! "

" What? What's it? "she said picking her head up.

" The garage sale! I got the bottle at a garage sale! Zarelda told me after she got put in the bottle it was passed around between members of some order for years. The order was making sure she never escaped. One of the people in that house has to be a member of that order! They'll know what to do about her. It's their job! "

" Hold on. If it was this persons job to keep the bottle safe, why'd they put it out for a garage sale? "

" I don't know. It must've been a mistake. The least we can do is go talk to them about it. If they don't know anything we'll just leave and think of something else. "

" Alright, it's better then nothing. When should we go? "

" Why not right now? "

" Okay. We should tell Kyrie first. She'll want to know about this. She should be between classes right now. " Victoria said glancing at a clock on the wall.

She got up, went over to her bag, and pulled out her phone. She tapped the screen a few times and put it to her ear. There silence for a few moments and then she put it to her ear. The two talked for a bit, Shaun could only hear Victoria's side of the conversation. She relayed what he had told her and answered some of Kyrie's questions.

" Alright, talk to ya later, " she hung up the phone " , Kyrie agrees that we should go as soon as possible. She didn't like us going alone, but I convinced her. When we get to the house she wants me to text her the address just to be safe. "

" Alright, you ready to go now? "

" Hold up, little man. You gotta finish painting my nails first. "

__________________________________________________________

" There! That's the house, Victoria. " Shaun said pointing.

He was standing on the dash of Victoria's car, he had guided her to the house based on his memory. Finding it was easy though because the house was on his route home from work. Victoria pulled the car over to the curb.

" I'll text Kyrie the address. " she said digging her phone out of her bag. She squinted at the houses number above the garage door. " Okay, what should I do with you? "

" I guess just put me in your bag. Leave the zipper open a bit though. " Shaun said climbing onto her outstretched hand.

Victoria opened her bag and gently dropped him in. He landed among keys, beauty products, and other assorted items. Victoria left the zipper open about an inch. She got of her car and walked to the front door of the house, trying not to move her bag around too much. As she walked, the Nike sandals on her feet slapped her soles. Victoria rapped her knuckles on the door three times. There was a long pause and then the door opened slowly.

A middle-aged, Hispanic man appeared from behind the door. The top of his head was completely bald, there was some hair on the sides. His facial hair was shaved into a bushy goatee. He was wearing a blue, short sleeved button-up shirt and tan pants. A silver watch was on his wrist and glasses were perched on his nose.

" Hello, sir. I was hoping to talk to someone about an item I bought from the garage sale you had awhile ago. " she said realizing he was waiting for her to say something.

" Um, yes. What item would that be? " the man asked suddenly sounding nervous.

" I bought this old bottle and it had something... interesting inside. "

" Oh, really? Would you like to come inside before you continue? I'm letting all the cool air out. I could offer you a drink as well. "

Victoria hesitated, instinct told her not to go in. However, the man seemed to know something. " Sure, that'd be great. " she said smiling.

The man opened the door wider and stepped to the side. Victoria brushed past him and walked down a narrow hallway. The living room of the house was large with light brown painted walls. She stood awkwardly behind the couch as the man came in behind her.

" I'm sorry. My name's David. You are? " he said extending his hand.

Victoria noticed he put emphasis on the I of his name. A thick, Hispanic accent was mixed into his words. " Victoria. " she said shaking his hand.

" So, Victoria, what was this interesting thing you found in this bottle? "

" Uh, it's kinda hard to explain. You might think I'm crazy. "

" Was it, perhaps, a tiny woman. No more than a few inches tall. " Victoria's jaw dropped open at his sudden bluntness. She didn't know how to respond.

" Tell me, girl. Did you release her from the bottle? Has she done anything? Where is she now? "

" You're the member of the order. " Victoria said still slightly shocked.

David reached behind his back, his hand reappeared with a knife. " Who are you?! How do you know of the order?! " he said brandishing the knife.

" Whoa! Whoa! Hold on! I can explain! " She reached into her bag and wrapped her hand around Shaun. She pulled him out, holding him up for David to see. " You're talking about Zarelda, right? She did this to my friend. I came here hoping you could help us. "

David's hand fell to his side. " Dear Lord, it's worse than I thought. She's already stolen someone's size. " He set the knife down on an end table.

" You do know, Zarelda? Can you help me? " Shaun yelled dangling from Victoria's fist.

" Yes. I do know, Zarelda. As for helping you, I'm not sure I can. "