- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It's time to found just what happened to Jon.
Fleeting Love: Chapter 6

Jon's eyes flung open. He sat up and started to cough uncontrollably. When he stopped he continued to pant and looked around. He was sitting on a beach, there wasn't a person to be found besides him. The tide lapped at the sand lazily. Jon stood up, trying to recall what had happened to him.

" I was on the balcony of Alexis' room... Alexis! God, she must be freaking out! Okay, I was on the balcony and... the ship tipped on its side! I fell into the water! Where the hell am I? "

Looking out at the ocean, Jon only saw water as far as he could see. Jon turned around to see some of the tallest trees he'd ever seen. The trees were packed close together in a dense jungle.

" Aphrodite! Aphrodite! What the hell is going on!? " he yelled at the sky.

Not surprisingly, the goddess did not answer. " This has to be another one of her games. She must want me to find something on this island. "

Jon looked down at himself. He was still about two feet tall and only wearing the shirt of his uniform, which hung on him like an oversized dress. The shirt itself was somewhat damp from being in the water.

" Guess I should start walking. "

Jon trudged along the beach, looking for anything out of the ordinary. He didn't want to go into the jungle, who knew what animals were hiding in there. He doubted Aphrodite would kill him, but for some reason Jon felt Aphrodite wasn't behind this. This was way too theatrical, even for her. Eventually, Jon realized walking on the beach was getting him nowhere.

Whoever put him on this island obviously wanted him to go into the jungle. When he found a gap in trees that was fairly clear of bushes and low branches, he moved in. Jon watched where he stepped carefully, he didn't want any nasty surprises. While he walked he was suspicious of every sound he heard. His imagination turned the rustle of leaves to a jaguar about to pounce on him. The crackle of dry leaves to an islander about to stab him with a spear.

" I've been watching too much TV. " he whispered to himself.

After walking for quite awhile, Jon stopped to lean on a tree. The beach had been a little hot, the jungle was hot and humid. His shirt was soaked in sweat. " I've been walking for hours and haven't found shit. Aphrodite! This isn't funny! Get me out of here! " he yelled.

Just then, Jon suddenly felt a woosh of air behind him. He turned to find his shirt stuck to the tree by a slender wood pole with feathers at the end. When he looked closer, he saw it was tipped with a metal point.

" An arrow- "

A crashing sound made him look in the direction the arrow came from. A large figure was running through the shrubs quickly towards him. " Oh, shit! " he cried.

He grabbed the arrow with both hands and yanked it out of the tree. Jon took off running away from the figure. As he ran, he could still hear who or whatever it was bounding behind him. He glanced over his shoulder, the figure was gaining on him! Jon's shrunken legs couldn't keep pace with his tall pursuer. Suddenly, something wrapped around his ankles. His momentum launched him forward, making slam onto the ground hard. He felt his teeth bite into his lower lip, drawing blood.

A hand gripped his arm and flipped him over onto his back roughly. Jon's mouth dropped open in shock. Standing over him was the tallest woman he'd ever seen, taller even than Sandra. The woman had to be at least 9 feet tall. She was darkly tanned, you could tell she spent a lot of time in the sun. Her hair was long and black. She was wearing a cloth shirt like garment that covered her breast, but left the rest of her stomach exposed. Her crotch and thighs were covered by what looked like brown fur animal pelts. Knee high rough brown leather boots were on her legs. A red piece of cloth was wrapped around her wrist and a thin black headband kept her hair out of her eyes. Other than that a bag was hung diagonally across her chest, a quiver of arrows was on her other shoulder, and a bow was in her hand.

The woman's lip curled in a snarl and she grabbed the front of Jon's shirt, lifting him off the ground slightly. " How did you get on this island, man! "

Jon continued to look at her in stunned silence. She shook him violently. " Answer me! Do you speak English? "

" Y-Yes! "

" How did you get on this island?! "

" I was on a ship! I fell off of it and woke up here! "

" Liar! I heard you call out to Aphrodite! And you reek of her magic! Did she send you here to spy on us? "

" You know about Aphrodite? "

" Yes, fool! You look the age of a young man, but are the size of a child. Only a Greek god could do that. Did she make you small so you could sneak around easier? What are your orders! "

" You got it all wrong! I don't work for Aphrodite! I was working on her ship and I was shrunken, but not to come here! I don't even know where here is! "

" Enough of your lies! You know this is the Isle of Amazons and Aphrodite sent you here! If you do not wish to tell me why, so be it. I'll take you to the city. Queen Thermodosa will decide what to do with you. "

The woman opened her bag and pulled out a length of rope. She took both of Jon's hands and put them together at the wrists. Jon struggled against her.

" Stop fighting, man. I will not hesitate to kill you. If you try to run I will kill you for certain. "

Jon stopped moving. " You said this was the Isle of Amazons? Twenty minutes ago I didn't know amazons existed. I know Aphrodite, I've been her plaything for months. Nothing more than that. She didn't send me here to do anything. I got here by total accident. Please, you have to believe me. "

" You say you fell off Aphrodite's ship. Aphrodite's ship isn't allowed within ten miles of this island. You don't look like you have the strength for a ten mile swim. Especially at your size. "

" Ten miles? How the hell did I get here then? "

" That is exactly what I want to know. "

The amazon finished tying Jon's hands together then undid the cloth from her wrist. She tied it firmly over his eyes, leaving him in darkness.

" Listen, you could just let me go. Just give me a boat and I'll go. "

" There is no chance of that happening. I do not know what you have already seen. You could have stolen something and hidden it. No, you are going to the city. "

Jon felt himself being lifted into the air. His waist was dropped onto something roughly, his arms and legs were dangling. " I think she just put me over her shoulder. " he thought incredulously.

The amazon turned and started to walk. Jon tugged at the rope that bound his hands. There was no way he was getting out of it. He lifted his hands to his eyes and pulled up the cloth with his thumb. Below him he saw the ground, the back of the amazons legs, and her butt.

" Jeez, she's carrying me with no problem. I am a shrimp compared to her so it's not that unbelievable. "

The woman was only supporting him with one hand on the small of his back. Admittedly, he was sporting a minor stiffy. " I really hope she doesn't notice. "

Jon remained quiet for awhile, trying not to piss off the amazon. He periodically checked their progress and at some point they had gotten on a dirt path. Becoming very bored, Jon decided to try striking up a conversation.

" So, what's your name? I'd rather not refer to you as Amazon. "

The amazon didn't answer. " Come on. Even if I was working for Aphrodite, which I'm not, what harm could you telling me your name be? "

" Phoebe. "

" Alright. Nice to meet you, Phoebe. I'm Jon. "

" Be quiet, Jon. "

" Okay, but I have one more question. How far are we from this city? "

" Not far. "

Jon sighed and fell silent again. Not long after that, Jon heard a new female voice call out. " Phoebe? Is that you? "

In the distance he could hear multiple voices chattering and smell meat cooking.

" Yes, Asteria. It is me. "

" What's that on your shoulder? Didn't you just come sell the other day? "

" It is a man. I am bringing him to Queen Thermodosa. "

Jon heard steps running closer to him and Phoebe.

" What? Why? "

" I believe he is an agent of Aphrodite. He called out to her and reeks of her magic. "

" Oh, my. Wait a minute. I thought you said he was a man. He's the size of young boy. "

" He's been shrunken. Probably to get around without difficulty. "

As the two talked the sounds of many people talking grew louder.

" Can I escort Phoebe? "

" Fine, but just to the temple and then you come back. You're not getting out of guard duty that easily. " a deep female voice answered.

" Yes, ma'am. " Asteria fell in beside Phoebe.

Asteria waited a few moments, then started to talk again " So, what did he say? "

" He insists he does not work for Aphrodite and claims to be her plaything. Says he fell off her ship and washed ashore here. "

" Not the best liar is he? "

" I'm not lying! It's the truth. " Jon piped up.

" Quiet. "

" Ahhh! He speaks! Does he have a name? "

" It's Jon. "

" Did I not just tell you to be quiet? " Phoebe said with anger creeping into her voice.

" Don't get mad at him, Phoebe. I did ask him. "

The two amazons started to talk about Asteria's guard duty. When Jon heard the hustle and bustle of crowds of people, he deduced they were in the city. He could smell fire, freshly cooked meat, and other scents he didn't know. Every voice he heard was female.

" I really am on the Isle of Amazons. " he though bewildered.

Aphrodite's innocent offer to work on her cruise ship had become very strange, very quickly. He was being taken to see the queen of the amazons for fucks sake! What Jon really wanted was to be back on Aphrodite's ship in bed with Alexis.

" Of course. Right after I get my first girlfriend, I wind up on a mythical island. Just my luck. "

Eventually the sounds of the crowd started to fade away. All Jon heard was the amazons foot steps and the clank of metal. A few minutes later, a new female voice called out.

" Halt! What is your business at the temple? "

" I have come to show this man to the queen. I believe he is Aphrodite's spy. " Phoebe answered.

There was a moment of silence. " So be it. I'll take you inside. "

" I'll see you on your way out of the city, Phoebe. " Asteria said.

" Goodbye, Asteria. "

The new amazon lead Phoebe without a word. Jon noticed that Phoebe suddenly felt very tense. He was bounced on Phoebe's shoulder while he assumed she went up some stairs. The creak of wood sounded off ahead of him. Afterwards their foot steps echoed.

" What is this? " yet another new voice said.

" This sister believes she has found a spy of Aphrodite. She wishes to take him to the queen to see what is to be done with him. "

There was another creak of wood. " I am truly sorry to intrude, my queen. But this is a matter for your judgement. "

" There is no need to be sorry, Clonie. What is the problem? "

Phoebe heaved Jon off her shoulder and set him on his feet. He was spun around, then forced onto his knees. The cloth was removed from his eyes. Jon had been brought into a large chamber. The entirety of it was made of grey stone. Small barred windows were on the walls to his left and right with torches between them. Tall, grey pillars lined the chamber around him. He was kneeling on a purple carpet. Amazons clad in bronze Greek armor stood on both sides of the carpet. They each had a helm, a cuirass shaped to their chest, greaves, a sheathed sword, and a spear in hand. Every one of them was scowling at Jon.

At the head of the room was a woman seated on a grey throne. She was exceptionally large like every other amazon in the room, she looked about Phoebe's size. Her long black hair was done into a tight braid that hung over her shoulder. She wore a dark purple robe with black leather armor underneath. Black cloth pants covered her legs down to her knee and black leather boots went from her knee down to her toes. The whole time he'd been inspecting his surroundings she looked at him curiously, tapping a finger on her armrest.

" So that's Queen Thermodosa. Jon thought.

" And who is this? " she finally asked.

" This sister found him. She believes he is an agent of Aphrodite. " Clonie replied.

" It would appear he is. What is your name, sister? " Thermodosa pointed to Phoebe.

Phoebe put a fist to her chest and bowed. " Phoebe, my queen. "

" Phoebe, tell me how you came to capture this man. "

Phoebe began to recite her story. Apparently, she was a hunter. She was hunting in the jungle when Jon came into her sight. She waited, but when he yelled for Aphrodite she knew she had to capture him. Then she recounted their short conversation. Thermodosa rose from her throne. " You claim you are Aphrodite's plaything, man? "

" Yes, I am. "

" For a spy, you are not a good liar. The gods are not allowed to interfere in the lives of humans. Aphrodite should have told you a better lie to tell. "

" I'm not lying! It's all the truth! "

The amazons nearest to Jon pointed their spears at him. " At ease. At ease. I cannot take what you say to be true on good faith. You have obviously been touched by Aphrodite's magic. We cannot allow you to leave this island, but we cannot kill you for you may have valuable information about Aphrodite. Our goddess is busy in Olympus. We will keep you here until she can come. She will decide what to do with you. "

" What?! No! Please! You have to believe me! Please, let me go! "

" No, you are now our prisoner. There is a problem however. Our cells are too large for you and if Aphrodite does send more agents to look for you they'll look in the city first. "

" If I may, my queen. I do not live in the city. I live in a cabin in the jungle. It is very hard to find if you haven't been there before. My hunting hawk recently died. It had a large cage that I was going to sell. I think it is big enough to hold this man. Perhaps I can hold him there until the goddess is free to return. " Phoebe suggested.

Thermodosa thought about it for a few moments. " It sounds like a good plan. My soldiers will escort you back to your cabin. When our goddess returns they will come and take the man. Phoebe, whatever happens make sure he does not leave this island alive before the goddess returns. "

Phoebe put her fist to her chest and nodded. She reached down and brought Jon to his feet.

" Wait! Wait a minute! Who's your goddess? " Jon yelled.

" Athena, of course. " Thermodosa said returning to her throne.

The cloth was wrapped around Jon's eyes again, leaving him blind. Phoebe lifted him onto her shoulder and carried him out of the temple.