- Text Size +
* * * * *

Barry and Chipper might have had the initial advantage, knowing the local terrain as well as they did. Yet, between the Scout-At's height advantage (close to eight meters tall) and the thermo-electronic scanners it had aboard, it was only a matter of time before Squad A caught up to the pair.

"Give it up, kid," ordered Sgt. Vindeezel: "You're cornered. Just tell us where the rest of your group are, and we won't hurt you or the dog."

"Oh, really!" exclaimed Barry (with as much defiance as he could muster): "I'm supposed to take the word of an SID collaborator?"

The Imperial stormtroopers looked at each other. Only their helmets masking their momentary confusion.

"We're not with the SID (whoever they are). We're just regular soldiers in the Imperial Army. And, we're simply here to take you and your shipmates in for questioning."

Ta'enka'erf had heard enough. He used his free pair of hands to press a hidden button at the base of each vibro-axe handle. As a result of which, the handles telescopically lengthened. Until built-in magnets at the very bottom of each extension joined together. Essentially forming a double-headed version of the Matukai polearm (a.k.a."wan-shen").

Then, after activating the vibro-motors, he charged forward. Spinning the wan-shen in an eye-blurring circle as he did so!

"LONG LIVE THE NEW REPUBLIC!"

The stormtroopers automatically began to open fire. But, the wan-shen deflected every single energy bolt just as easily as any lightsaber! So, the Scout-AT's pilot ordered the machine's twin laser cannons to swing around and take out the Pho Ph'eahian. But, Obmuj the Cragmoloid got there, first! Using the momentum of his charge to tackle the Scout-At around its right leg...and thereby knock it down upon its left side.

Naturally, this disoriented the two Imperial gunners inside long enough for Obmuj to get back on his feet and rip off the main hatch. Whereupon, Logunn arrived and said:

"Dinner time, Bub."

He flung the dinko inside the lop-sided cockpit and listened to the death cries of the trapped Imperials with a shamelessly feral grin. That is; till one of the stormtroopers suddenly began firing at him! So, Logunn began firing back. Ta'enka'erf' deflecting any other bolts that might stray too close to Barry and his dog.

It was only after the Zehethbran had whittled Squad A from five men down to three that the stormtroopers return fire became cover fire. And, Obmuj was tall enough to see why.

"The top kick has a code-key thermal detonator!"

That was all the incentive Ta'enka'erf needed. He charged toward the stormtroopers with the same unbelievable speed as before. With Logunn providing what cover fire of his own he could! And, with a display of acrobatics worthy of a zero-gravity environment, the Pho Ph'eahian managed to reach the stormtrooper platoon sergeant...

...and amputate his right hand before he could cease pressing the pressure-release button.

"Obmuj!" exclaimed Logunn.

"On it," cried the Cragmoloid.

Sure enough; he caught the thermal detonator (disembodied hand, and all) in the massive palm of his own left hand. Then, he transerred it to this right, before throwing it skyward with all of his pachydermoid might! With Logunn firing a blaster bolt in the same direction.

The aerial blast was both blinding and deafening to those below. That is; those without the polarizing lenses built into the skull-like helmets of Imperial stormtroopers. For by the time Barry, Chipper, and his rescuers could reasonably see and hear again, the three surviving stormtroopers were gone!

* * * * *

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE CIRCUS...

Lee entered the trailer to behold both her daughters sitting at opposite ends of the kitchen table. With their little captives trapped between each of their bare
feet.

"Oooooooh, Leslie!" sighed Kyle: "Isn't this the best foot massage you've ever had?"

"Oooooh, yeah, Sis. These little guys are great!"

It was, in fact, the almost-naked stormtroopers who were being caressed by their captors' feet. As each of their arms had been spirit-glued to their sides!

"It's nice to see you two doing something constructive with your new pets," said their mother: "In the meantime, allow me to introduce Mr. Alexander Fitzhugh. Our other new house guest."

"How do you do, ladies?" Fitzhugh chivalrously greeted them from Lee's cupped hands (the girls tittering at his courtly bow).

"He'll be staying with us while he convalesces," continued Lee: "Which will hopefully be long enough for us to burn off some of his excess weight."

Fitzhugh spun about like a sucker-punched boxer.

"WHAT???"

tbc