- Text Size +
* * * * *

Most other spacefarers would agree that a typical Pho Ph'eahian resembled nothing less than a blue-furred cross between a Chadra-Fan and a Codru-ji! With a tendency towards over-cleanliness that stopped just short of full-fledged hypochondria. Yet, it would also be agreed that this was cancelled out by the Pho Ph'eahians being so skilled at starship engine maintenance and repair.

No doubt a fringe benefit of having four good hands instead of just two.

It was for this reason that Captain Tocneppil had made one his partner, first mate, and chief engineer. Ta'enka'erf was no ordinary Pho Ph'eahian, however. He was also a Matukai! One of a sect of Force-sensitive warriors that had originally developed out of a Jedi splinter faction.

Where the Matukai differed from the Jedi is that the former were less centrally organized than the latter had been...and nowhere near as strictly hierarchical. The Matukai wandered the space ways as individuals, passing on their teachings and training to whomever they sensed was able and willing to be taught. Even those whom the Jedi would have disqualified as totally insensitive to the Force! And, it was the Matukai tenet about "pure body/pure mind" that had persuaded Ta'enka'erf to accept the offer of mentorship made by a Bosph religious pilgrim.

At the time of the Nightshrike's first run-in with the Star Destroyers, however, Ta'enka'erf had been busy grooming himself after one of his customarily long sonic showers. Ergo, he had gotten knocked around quite a bit from all the Imperial near-misses! Not to mention, all the gravitational turbulence from Endor's Gate.

Now, he was standing before the captain and their two bounty-hunting passengers, with a grim expression on his face (and disgusting engine grease all over his hands).

"Well?" demanded the impatient Tocneppil.

"No irreparable damage, thank the Force! We'll be able to take off again. But, the shields will take some time to fix. Especially, if we have to worry about an Imp blockade at the other end of that worm hole. And, that's assuming the worm hole isn't a one-way passage, to begin with! It's lucky for you that you're not Corellian. Because, if you were, you'd probably be considered a traitor, what with all the ships you've lost through your daredevil flying!!"

Tocneppil grinned and shrugged: "We can't all be Han Solo."

Before he could make any caustic retort, Ta'enka'erf suddenly stiffened. While Bub the Dinko began to simultaneously growl. Both Logunn and Tocneppil went for their blasters.

"What's wrong?" demanded the latter.

"Someone's in trouble."

Without elaborating any further, the Pho Ph'eahian snatched up a pair of vibro-bladed axes and ran off into the woods. Logunn and Obmuj following along behind.

* * * * *

MEANWHILE, AT THE LLEBPMAC CIRCUS...

Dr. Brulle had legally changed the spelling of his surname after getting out of prison, so he could get a fresh start. Hence, his current employment as the circus' general practioner and veterinarian. And, with all the traveling around he had done, since he was hired, he had thought it highly unlikely he would ever meet one of the Spindrifters ever again.

It should have occurred to someone of his age and experience that "highly unlikely" is never the same as "completely impossible."

He had recognized Fitzhugh right away! But, he said nothing, somehow managing to keep his face and voice completely impassive.

"Well, Doc?" asked the nervous Lee.

"Nothing to worry about, my dear. Just simple exhaustion caused mostly by excessive running. And, given what you just told me about the minor beating he suffered, he doubtless had good reason to run! Where are the little people who accosted him?"

Lee smiled: "Being taught a suitable lesson, I'm sure."

In that much, she was right.

"Ready, Sis?" asked Kyle

"Ready," replied Leslie.

"No, please! Not again!" begged the Imperial clones in unison. Yet, to no avail. Because each one (dangling upside-down from each girl's right hand) were slowly dipped into the tomato soup, once more. Head-first; then all the way up to their ankles! Whereupon, they were lifted back out...and slurped on.

Likewise, all the way up to their ankles.

tbc