- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN G.F.F.A.
* * * * *

For a microsecond, Marna did not notice it, as her eyes were understandably closed. Then, she realized...it was much too quiet. So, she re-opened her eyes. And she felt them bulge, to their widest possible diameter, in astonishment.

The TIE fighters that had been about to strafe her and the others were frozen in mid-air! Along with their turbo-laser blasts!!

The first thought that occurred to her was that this must be some kind of miracle. Only, she must have muttered it half-aloud to herself. Because, suddenly, a male voice to her right replied:

"No, not a miracle. Just an interval of chronostasis that must soon end. Lest we jeopardize this whole space/time continuum!"

Marna was naturally startled at seeing Thorg Tocneppil standing next to her. And, even more astounding, suddenly being the same height as her!

"How...?"

"No time to fully explain," he remarked, cutting her off: "Suffice it to say that you're the only one who can end this travesty before it becomes a tragedy!"

"Me?!" she exclaimed.

Thorg nodded: "I now know that the telepathic bond you have with your doves is the result of an energy field known as 'the Force.' With years of proper training, under an accomplished adept, you would be able to work wonders. But, the people around you don't have years! That's why you're going to have to combine your rudimentary Force ability with the energies of this device."

He showed her something that resembled an overgrown pocket watch before continuing.

"It's called an Omni-Space/Time Manipulator ('Omni' for short). And, with it, one cannot only travel through time. But, also, alter the amount of physical space taken up by people and things. For instance?"

Thorg aimed the Omni at a nearby SID man. The time-frozen law enforcer subsequently being shrunken to the size of her friend Mark!

"Here's one for you," Thorg continued, handing her a dupicate of his own Omni: "Use it, wisely...but quickly."

With that, he disappeared.

Meanwhile, aboard his orbiting Imperial Star Destroyer, Commodore Yarc Micco was becoming impatient with the loss of contact with the TIE fighters.

"Micco to bridge! Progress report."

"I'm sorry, Commodore. But, there's still no...wait! We just reacquired sensor lock on Beta and Gamma Waves. Communications, too! There's something strange, though. All the pilots seem to be shouting at once. Something about...a mega-giantess?"

Naturally, neither the communications officer nor the commodore, himself, had any idea what the TIE pilots could be talking about. The latter, however, were telling the truth as they now saw it. Because, for one moment, the first two squadrons of Beta Wave had a clear field of fire at the giants in front of them. Yet, the next moment?

They were suddenly confronted by a pair of shapely legs the size of deluxe hotels on Coruscant!!!

It was Marna. She had done as Thorg had directed her. Holding the Omni close to her heart while concentrating with a clear head and closed eyes. The next thing she knew, she was wearing her stage costume! A sleeveless blue leotard with sequins, off-set by a blue-feathered tiara; a silver-painted pair of high heels; a pair of white fingerless, elbow-length gloves; and a white mesh cape.

Even more amazing than that, though, was the fact that she was now a hundred times taller than her fellow giants! Making her appear, to them, like some goddess out of an ancient legend.

Marna, smiling at the open-mouthed astonishment on their faces, suddenly wondered if she could do the same thing to her birds.

"Sorry to wake you up, my pretties. But, I have some nasty little bugs flying around the circus. Bugs that you might find very crunchy to eat!"

Seconds later, the rest of her turtledoves materialized in mid-air, right in the midst of the TIE fighters. The shocked pilots of which suddenly started radioing for help.

Reporting how half their comrades had already been devoured, on the fly, by giant white avians.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
I was originally going to use the monster-bird from that venerably cheesy old s-f flick "The Giant Claw" to save the day. Passing it off as a pseudo-avian mutation of a Duinuoguin Star Dragon from the SWL universe. But, then, I changed my mind. Remembering, instead, the very first gts-fantasy I ever had.

MIss Vera, a "scantily-clad" turtledove trainer on Bert Parks old "Circus!" series, from the early Seventies, had--at one point during the act--coaxed some of her birds across a "high" wire. Watching that, I suddenly pictured myself dressed in Fitzhugh's clown outfit (from the LOTG episode "The Marionettes") doing the same thing!

And a new macrophiliac was born. :-)