- Text Size +
* * * * *

As the giant turtledove came in for a landing near her dovecote, the YT-1000 Nightshrike following her went slightly farther. Captain Tocneppil now putting the Corellian-built freighter down atop the engine hood of Marna Whalen's camper.

"I've got a real bad feeling about this," muttered Logunn (for what felt like the one hundredth time).

"And I told you not to worry," replied Ta'enka'erf: "I sense no hostility in that giant bird's owner."

"From your mouth to the Force's ear," muttered the Zehethbran (fingering his blaster).

Being the biggest among everyone else aboard, Obmuj the Cragmoloid was the first to descend the loading ramp as soon as it had finished lowering itself to the ground. He took a few seconds to look around. Then, he turned to look up the ramp and trumpeted an "all-clear" signal. Yet, as soon as he had finished doing that, he turned back around...

...and beheld Marna smiling down at him in puzzled bemusement.

"Shades of Shoon*!" he exclaimed: "Now, I really _do_ feel puny."

The moment the refugees from the Spindrift had gathered around him, however, some of his apprehension left him after seeing how they grinned upward at the blonde giantess in recognition.

Mark Wilson, especially.

"Marna?! How in the world....?"

"No time to explain," she replied: "Right now, this circus is in danger of being reduced to ashes by something called TIE fighters! Does that sound familiar to any of you?"

"Oh, frak!" swore Logunn: "I knew it was too good to be true."

Ta'enka'erf ignored him as he yelled upward: "Miss! If you're the one whose been telepathing me through the Force, for the last ten minutes, you have to get your people out of here. Now! As physically powerful as you might be, compared to us, there's no way you can withstand an air-to-ground turbo-laser barrage."

As if on cue, Beta and Gamma Waves began to descend on their initial strafing runs. Their targets of first priority: the armed policemen of the SID. Whereupon, Inspector Kobic ordered his men to return fire, skyward, as best they could. But, the Pho Ph'eahian matukai had been right in what he had told Marna. As powerful as the SID's giant twelve-gauge shotguns might be in contrast to, say, Logunn's blaster? There was no way they would be able to blow every TIE fighter out of the sky before all the police officers were dead.

And, then, it would be the innocent by-standers' turn.

Logunn and Ta'enka'erf looked at each other before looking at their captain.

"Hey, Tocneppil!" exclaimed the former: "Feel like losing another ship?"

The silver-haired-and-mustachioed human looked from one to the other of them...before a maniacal grin appeared on his face.

"You two man the quad guns. I'll drive."

"Hey! Wait a minute!" demanded the Cragmoloid (using his bulk to block their way): "Are you guys crazy? You cant' down all those TIE fighters single-handedly."

"Maybe not," said Tocneppil: "But, we can buy you guys enough time to get out of here with these giant civilians.

Whereupon, Ta'enka'erf looked up at Marna and asked her to "look after the big lug" (referring to the pachydermoid). She frowned a little bit before nodding. After which, she grabbed him and picked him up like he was nothing more than a stuffed toy bear from the shooting gallery!

Allowing the other three to run aboard the Nightshrike...and take off.



tbc
Chapter End Notes:
* Shoon is a planet in the Senex/Juvex Sectors, of the GFFA, that was once the homeworld of a mysterious (but now-extinct) race of giant beings.