- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
THE LLEBPMAC CIRCUS
(FIVE MINUTES EARLIER)
* * * * *

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Whalen had been unique for their time. A husband-and-wife team of civilian test pilots, they had departed Cape Kennedy, Florida, on March 6, 1968, bound for Paris, France. Their objective: to test the flight-worthiness of a "Spindrift" prototype that had been code-named "Jupiter I." Their sole passenger: their daughter and only child, Marna.

Unfortunately, the Jupiter I disappeared--along with all hands--while passing over the middle of the Bermuda Triangle.

How she survived the subsequent crash of the sub-orbital transport, on this planet of gigantic humans, Marna still did not know. But, soon after reaching adolescence, among the giant scientists raising her, she developed--and visibly demonstrated--a psionic rapport with all the four-footed animals kept in the laboratory with her! So, the scientists naturally concluded that such a gift might have protected her from the local wildlife (especially insectivorous birds) _after_ the crash.

Yet, now, it was birds that were about to save the LLebpmac Circus from otherwise certain destruction.

For, just as she finished receiving a vision of the Corellian-built Nightshrike getting nearer to the circus grounds, she suddenly had another vision. This one composed of images of extra-terrestrial spacecraft, with quadrilateral wings, emerging from the bellies of much-larger spacecraft presently orbiting this planet. And, with the smaller craft decimating the circus and everyone in it!

So, immediately after snapping out of her precognitive state, she demanded of Loo Gar and Roo Gar what those fighter craft were. The two captive storm troopers were initially reluctant to divulge that information. But, Kyle and Leslie Noticias quickly fixed that by tickling their respective new pets...

...between their legs.

"A-ha-ha! NO! PLEASE! STOP!" they finally chorused.

"Then, answer her," demanded Kyle.

"Now!" added her younger sister.

"TIE fighters," replied Roo Gar (gasping for air): "Short...for Twin...Ion...Engines."

"And, with a lot...of fire power...to boot," added Loo Gar, in between his own inhalations.

"Good Heavens!" exclaimed Fitzhugh: Between them and those ground forces the SID are retreating from, we'll all be killed!!"

"Not if I can help it," growled Marna.

Whereupon, she swiftly ran back to her trailer-wagon and rummaged through her foot locker for one of the few things she had kept from her foster childhood among the giant scientists. And which had subsequently been enlarged along with her!

A giant, white plastic pipe.

Grabbing it up with her left hand, she ran back to the circus' mess tent, where she then snatched up an empty coffee cup with her right hand. Subsequently filling the latter with the delicious soup the Noticias family had so fervently sang the praises of, to Fitzhugh, earlier that afternoon.

Running back outside, to the circus midway, Marna looked up toward the night sky. She then dipped the white plastic pipe into the cup of soup...and subsequently blew a stream of greenish-brown bubbles up into the northwestern part of it.

It was these giant "soup" bubbles that the first wave of TIE fighters collied with. Their intake ports becoming immediately clogged, with chunks of giant vegetables and noodles, as a result!

"Mayday! Mayday!" screamed the leader of Alpha Wave: "We're going down. Repeat; we're going down! Some kind of liquid anti-spacecraft projectiles. Beta and Gamma Waves; split up. Repeat; split up! Outflank these mother-frakkin..."

Only static was heard, thereafter.

tbc