- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the prolonged absence. I was tied up @ Fanfiction.net.
* * * * *

Commodore Yarc Micco and Captain Nepo Thighah watched with amazement the scene being relayed to them, aboard their respective Star Destroyers, via live holovid transmission.

Using signals from the subcutaneously implanted homing chips that were now mandatory for all Imperials with aviation training, ground-based recondos of the 1209th and 1216th Legions had homed in on the two MIA speeder bike troopers. And those signals had led them within a hundred meters of what looked to be a huge clearing of some kind!

Yet, just as General Prilosec had ordered them to proceed with closer observation, a blinding white light suddenly illuminated their position. Followed by a series of strange-yet-thunderously loud noises made by a pack of animals that resembled giant howlrunners!!

"More Bluecoats!" exclaimed the general: "All units, open fire. Fire at will!"

The SID track-and-attack dogs were notorious for being well-trained for almost any foreseeable contingency. But, a barrage of fiery red laser beams was definitely not in that category! So, with yelps of understandable fright, they turned tail and ran back to the circus encampment. Literally dragging their handlers with them!

As for the armed members of the Tactical Squad, who had been following the dog handlers, they activated their own flashlights (magnetically attached to their shotguns) and began to return fire. But, the storm trooper commanders had learned from that first firefight, back on the dirt road, earlier that day. Consequently, they ordered the AT-AT crews to concentrate their laser cannon-fire on the giants with the portable "cannons."

"Cripple their wrists, if possible," they ordered: "If not? Make 'em bleed to death from between the legs!!"

As a result of this, however, the ranks of the Tactical Squad were split in two. With some of the second section being inadvertently forced in the direction of the Spindrift's camp!

Logunn, who had taken over the scouting from Ta'enka'erf, came running back into the camp with the bad news.

"I estimate they'll be here within five minutes," he concluded: "Maybe less."

Captain Tocneppil looked at Steve Burton.

"Is the Spindrift at least flight-worthy within this planet's atmosphere?"

The slightly younger captain shook his head.

"Then, I would heartily recommend you and your party board the Nightshrike. Immediately! Like it or not, we'll have to take that giant pigeon's owner up on her offer."

"I agree," replied Steve.

Whereupon, he ordered his fellow cast-aways to just gather up whatever necessities they could lay their hands on in four minutes or less. Which, as it turns out, was pitifully little. And, when they were all assembled within the main lounge of the YT-1000, Tocneppil pressed the cockpit button that drew in the gang plank and closed the bottom hatch.

"Strap in, everybody!" the old smuggler yelled over the freighter's PA system: "This is going to be a little bumpy."

Being a Cragmoloid, of course, Obmuj could not strap in! So, as he had when the Nightshrike first left Nar Shadda, he assumed the meditative fetal position that Ta'enka'erf had shown him. Letting all useless worries flow out of him like ribbons of white light destined for absorption by a black hole. In the meantime, Tocneppil was trying to keep an eye on the giant pigeon. Or, perhaps more accurately, he tried to follow its flight path, as closely as he could, without being forced downward by the turbulence being generated by the rhythmic flapping of its wings!

"A feat that even that Corellian show-off, Han Solo, might find difficult to perform," the Esselean-born human muttered to himself.

Ten minutes later, he sighted the lights of the Llebpmac Circus. While at roughly that same moment, aboard his personal flagship, Commodore Micco looked at Captain Thighah's hologram. A grimly determined look upon his face.

"Launch all TIE fighters. Wherever those giants are based? I want it leveled to ashes. No survivors!"

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
Hopefully, the next chapter will be posted in one-eighth the time it took this one. ;-)